United Methodists undergoing massive split in the USA

Discuss political news items / current events.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

United Methodists undergoing massive split in the USA

Post by Niemand »

And yes it is about what you probably think it's about!

(Video under 15 mins.)

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Re: United Methodists undergoing massive split in the USA

Post by blitzinstripes »

My cousin is a Methodist minister (and a good, conservative man). He's has been very distraught over this rift in his church.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

Wow... I imagine more churches will be split over this general situation.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

blitzinstripes wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:39 am My cousin is a Methodist minister (and a good, conservative man). He's has been very distraught over this rift in his church.
The mainstream Methodists have moved very far from what Wesley intended them to be. A handful of them keep to the old ways. It's always sad to see denominations go like this. Anglicans and Methodists seem to have been the earliest churches to suffer from entryism. Possibly the Lutherans too but I don't know much about them.
BuriedTartaria wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:43 am Wow... I imagine more churches will be split over this general situation.
The Anglican Communion/Episcopalians nearly have. African Anglicans aren't much interested in the issue.

The Church of Scotland (which is Presbyterian) has also suffered splits over this.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Speculation from the video is that 3,000 to 5,000 congregations will leave the United Methodist Church organization by the end of 2024, out of a total of 30,000 congregations belonging to it. They are motivated by the coming 2024 UMC conference not renewing the means to "disaffiliate". 2,300 congregations have already left.

Or words to that effect.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:49 am Speculation from the video is that 3,000 to 5,000 congregations will leave the United Methodist Church organization by the end of 2024, out of a total of 30,000 congregations belonging to it. They are motivated by the coming 2024 UMC conference not renewing the means to "disaffiliate". Or words to that effect.
This guy is usually pretty sound in his take on many schisms, not necessarily from a spiritual POV but by thorough research. He has done a video of another such split happening among German RCs.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Niemand wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:51 am
larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:49 am Speculation from the video is that 3,000 to 5,000 congregations will leave the United Methodist Church organization by the end of 2024, out of a total of 30,000 congregations belonging to it. They are motivated by the coming 2024 UMC conference not renewing the means to "disaffiliate". Or words to that effect.
This guy is usually pretty sound in his take on many schisms, not necessarily from a spiritual POV but by thorough research. He has done a video of another such split happening among German RCs.
He seemed to cover the bases very well and in a very objective manner. I was impressed. It would be interesting to see what he could do w/LDS stats . . . at least in terms of activity, etc.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:56 am He seemed to cover the bases very well and in a very objective manner. I was impressed. It would be interesting to see what he could do w/LDS stats . . . at least in terms of activity, etc.
I believe Joshua is a Baptist of some description, but that doesn't come over in his videos in which he usually gives a neutral description of various denominations. He's usually good but I think his content on JWs and RCs has been unfair.

He is my go to channel to find out about obscure Protestant groups and Oriental Orthodoxy (Copts, Assyrians, Ethiopians). He also did a good video on the schisms in the Ukrainian orthodox denominations due to this war.

His video on the crisis in German Roman Catholicism from a month ago:

SantaFe
captain of 50

Post by SantaFe »

larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:56 am
He seemed to cover the bases very well and in a very objective manner. I was impressed. It would be interesting to see what he could do w/LDS stats . . . at least in terms of activity, etc.
I too wonder what the stats are on who is aware of the infiltration of the NWO agents and agendas into the church hierarchy. I have only become aware of a small few in my ward. I haven't been going for a while now. I know for a fact that I would not keep my mouth shut. My meek and humble countenance would self destruct at the slightest mention of the V word.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

SantaFe wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm I too wonder what the stats are on who is aware of the infiltration of the NWO agents and agendas into the church hierarchy. I have only become aware of a small few in my ward. I haven't been going for a while now. I know for a fact that I would not keep my mouth shut. My meek and humble countenance would self destruct at the slightest mention of the V word.
Not sure what the V word is. My impression with this is that the more middle class churches sent their ministers to study theology in upper class universities and that they came back steeped in more of the university's secular culture than the word of Christ.

The culture spread into less prestigious and elitist universities and has also spread from there.

In Edinburgh University for example, I'm told that devout Christians are often mocked openly and called mentally ill in the Divinity department, and another running joke is that studying there is a fast track to becoming an atheist. You also have to be accepted into the university by a largely anti-Christian crowd in the entry system. I'm aware of someone who was given abuse by one of his tutors for being LDS and had to give up his PhD with them.

SantaFe
captain of 50

Post by SantaFe »

V word is Vax

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Niemand wrote: January 8th, 2023, 1:00 pm
SantaFe wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm I too wonder what the stats are on who is aware of the infiltration of the NWO agents and agendas into the church hierarchy. I have only become aware of a small few in my ward. I haven't been going for a while now. I know for a fact that I would not keep my mouth shut. My meek and humble countenance would self destruct at the slightest mention of the V word.
Not sure what the V word is. My impression with this is that the more middle class churches sent their ministers to study theology in upper class universities and that they came back steeped in more of the university's secular culture than the word of Christ.

The culture spread into less prestigious and elitist universities and has also spread from there.

In Edinburgh University for example, I'm told that devout Christians are often mocked openly and called mentally ill in the Divinity department, and another running joke is that studying there is a fast track to becoming an atheist. You also have to be accepted into the university by a largely anti-Christian crowd in the entry system. I'm aware of someone who was given abuse by one of his tutors for being LDS and had to give up his PhD with them.
Funny you should mention that. We just discovered that’s EXACTLY what happened in our church. A Tanner sent 8 of his students to Harvard, and the next thing you know you’ve got Skull and Bones at the University of Utah, filled to the brim with Tanners and Cannons and Romneys, and then some guy named Nelson.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: United Methodists massive split in the USA

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Willie performing a song he wrote back in 2003
live @ the Abbott Methodist Church, 2006!

Which way did Willie go. :?:

T1CK appears longer than T0CK going on 1 week + 17 hours at 1.51. :?

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

SantaFe wrote: January 8th, 2023, 12:25 pm
larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 11:56 am
I too wonder what the stats are on who is aware of the infiltration of the NWO agents and agendas into the church hierarchy. I have only become aware of a small few in my ward. I haven't been going for a while now. I know for a fact that I would not keep my mouth shut. My meek and humble countenance would self destruct at the slightest mention of the V word.

I'm with you. I went last week, but couldn't stomach it enough to go yesterday. I've reached the point where I can't really handle church more than once a month. I spend more time biting my tongue because there is so much I want to say. I hold my tongue for the sake of my family. It hurts to see what this church has become.