Ken Block has died of snowmobiling accident

Discuss political news items / current events.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Ken Block has died of snowmobiling accident

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Wow… this is really sad news. He lived in Utah.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ken-bl ... e-accident

“The driver, Kenneth Block, 55-year-old male out of Park City, Utah, was riding a snowmobile on a steep slope when the snowmobile upended, landing on top of him. He was pronounced deceased at the scene from injuries sustained in the accident.”

It’s quite common for snowmobilers to race up a steep slope, digging their back track into the hillside, putting their sled vertical and whipping it around and back down the mountain. It appears as if he was unable to maneuver the sled to the side and it came back on top of him.

This has a lot of similarities to Steve Irwin, the Australian nature dude who died from a stingray. Stingrays are considered the “cat” of the sea (the most benign animal) and it shot a dart into his heart. Pinning a snowmobile vertical and whipping it around is a very typical (I wouldn’t say basic, but close) maneuver in mountain sledding.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Ken Block has died of snowmobiling accident

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 6:09 am Wow… this is really sad news. He lived in Utah.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ken-bl ... e-accident

“The driver, Kenneth Block, 55-year-old male out of Park City, Utah, was riding a snowmobile on a steep slope when the snowmobile upended, landing on top of him. He was pronounced deceased at the scene from injuries sustained in the accident.”

It’s quite common for snowmobilers to race up a steep slope, digging their back track into the hillside, putting their sled vertical and whipping it around and back down the mountain. It appears as if he was unable to maneuver the sled to the side and it came back on top of him.

This has a lot of similarities to Steve Irwin, the Australian nature dude who died from a stingray. Stingrays are considered the “cat” of the sea (the most benign animal) and it shot a dart into his heart. Pinning a snowmobile vertical and whipping it around is a very typical (I wouldn’t say basic, but close) maneuver in mountain sledding.
Noooooo way! I LOVE the Hoonigan videos! Best car/truck cinematography.... This is sad. Don't know his personal side but I loved everything about him with regard to his car/off road stuff..... Man...

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I watched a video from a guy recently where his dad did just this. Sled came back on him and pushed him down about 4-5 feet in powder. Without his son and friends helping to dig away the snow, there would have been a good likelihood of him dying similar to an avalanche victim.

Given that he was most likely riding with friends, I think something far more traumatic happened than simply being pinned beneath his sled.

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Pretty sad. We have lost several people in Wasatch and Summit Counties due to snow mobile accidents this winter.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Did he have a heart attack first?

Sir H

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

HVDC wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 9:52 am Did he have a heart attack first?

Sir H
Knowing that the sled fell back on him and that this is a very common maneuver in boondock sledding, I doubt it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Hmm... so maybe he did suffocate:

"Deputies said Block had been riding with a group but was alone when the accident occurred."

https://www.ksl.com/article/50549896/pr ... e-accident

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

21 years ago I fell about 80 feet off a cliff on a snowmobile in Park City. The woman I was dating at the time spun out of control. It was a miracle either of us survived. The rescue team was out of their minds. This tragedy just reminded me once again how fortunate either of us were. We broke up a year later. I met my wife 4 years later. What a great life I have had despite some really tough trials. Glad to still be here even if the world has gone crazy. More blessings than disappointments if I take the time to count them.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Here it's quad bikes that have a tendency to flip over and kill/injure celebrities.