The Chosen

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Atrasado
captain of 1,000

The Chosen

Post by Atrasado »

What do you all think of The Chosen show? I've never seen it and I wonder how doctrinal it is. Do you think it's pleasing to God?

cachemagic
captain of 100

Re: The Chosen

Post by cachemagic »

Atrasado wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:40 pm What do you all think of The Chosen show? I've never seen it and I wonder how doctrinal it is. Do you think it's pleasing to God?
I think they are very well done, and they make a reasonable presentation of the way the lives of Jesus and the disciples interacted. But our local Seminary teacher mentioned today that he is not allowed to use any of the Chosen videos in his classes.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

By far my favorite depiction of Christ, His personality, and the relationships each of the disciples had with each other.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Atrasado wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:40 pm What do you all think of The Chosen show? I've never seen it and I wonder how doctrinal it is. Do you think it's pleasing to God?
I think it is pleasing to God because it turns people to read the New Testament. It did that to me, also. Because the apostles were fleshed out and rounded, it made me want to read the New Testament again with this perspective in mind (that they were flawed men doing the best they could).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

cachemagic wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:43 pm I think they are very well done, and they make a reasonable presentation of the way the lives of Jesus and the disciples interacted. But our local Seminary teacher mentioned today that he is not allowed to use any of the Chosen videos in his classes.
Has to be made by the Church, I guess, to be approved.

I'm surprised, though maybe I shouldn't be.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Think of it like historical fiction (because that's what it is), and if that's your thing, enjoy it. If you're looking for a show that strictly keeps to the Biblical account, and doesn't try to fill in the details, just watch the LDS New Testament videos where they use King James verses as the dialogue.

A lot of people get all wrapped around the axle when they see the show portraying things that aren't in the Bible, or when it portrays something that doesn't match their idea of how it actually was back in 30 AD. That's not what this show is going for, and they are very up front about it. The show basically has two goals: portray a relatable Jesus that gets people interested in Christianity, and stay within the realm of "plausible."

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I have avoided it from the outset.
However, I watched a short segment yesterday and thought it was quite good, so I may watch more.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

I think God is very pleased with The Chosen. I can feel His Spirit in every episode. They are on season 3 and it has gotten better each year. It is realistic or as authentic as possible. The back stories are great. Did things happen just like portrayed? Probably not, but my guess and feeling is, they are getting really close to what did happen.

It surpasses anything the church has done. I do understand that the church sticks with the King James language and script in all there bible videos. Two different approaches to the same thing. I like the realistic feel The Chosen has. Many times I have had to cross check what they portray with the scriptures and found that they use the same wording.

It’s a great show worthy of the time investment. Think about it, how much time do you spend watching “the game”?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I love it.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

This series casts a huge net. Many people become believers who then start to open their Bibles. Watch the first minute or two of this video:

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Dallas attempts to bring people to Christ. Not by joining the WEF and UN. Not by donating millions to Black Lives Matter. Not by refusing help to women with children in need. Not by changing the words of the Book of Mormon to appease queers and people claiming racism. He does it by depicting the life of Jesus in an entertaining and believable manner to bring people to the realization that they need to know more.

If all they did was read the book, no one would watch. It is very popular. It has garnered the attention of millions. Anything that brings people closer to Christ is a good thing.

The church operates on man's law. Copyright and so forth. Prohibiting the use of The Chosen material in Seminary is just another satanic procedure that the church operates on.

It boggles my mind that anyone can be foolish enough to follow RMN after he promoted the jab.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Fred wrote: January 1st, 2023, 10:56 pm Dallas attempts to bring people to Christ. Not by joining the WEF and UN. Not by donating millions to Black Lives Matter. Not by refusing help to women with children in need. Not by changing the words of the Book of Mormon to appease queers and people claiming racism. He does it by depicting the life of Jesus in an entertaining and believable manner to bring people to the realization that they need to know more.

If all they did was read the book, no one would watch. It is very popular. It has garnered the attention of millions. Anything that brings people closer to Christ is a good thing.

The church operates on man's law. Copyright and so forth. Prohibiting the use of The Chosen material in Seminary is just another satanic procedure that the church operates on.

It boggles my mind that anyone can be foolish enough to follow RMN after he promoted the jab.

It always seemed perverse that at the beginning of General Conference an announcer"s voice would say that everything was the property of Bonneville Communications and no part of the broadcast could be reproduced without written permission. I mean, this is the Lord's prophet addressing the entire Earth, right? What's up with all the legal talk and copyrights? Jesus never talked like that.

I guess if they wanted to be really safe they could say that this program is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the views of the copyright owners.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The woman at the well scene was very relatable
here: viewtopic.php?p=1248999&hilit=Woman+well#p1248999

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Fred wrote: January 1st, 2023, 10:56 pm Dallas attempts to bring people to Christ. Not by joining the WEF and UN. Not by donating millions to Black Lives Matter. Not by refusing help to women with children in need. Not by changing the words of the Book of Mormon to appease queers and people claiming racism. He does it by depicting the life of Jesus in an entertaining and believable manner to bring people to the realization that they need to know more.

Not using it in Seminary etc does seem a little odd. The guy behind the whole Chosen project is a Mormon, and the church let them use it's filming facilities in Utah.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:14 am

Not using it in Seminary etc does seem a little odd. The guy behind the whole Chosen project is a Mormon, and the church let them use it's filming facilities in Utah.
No, I am pretty sure that he is an Evangelical Christian, his dad wrote the Left Behind series about the Rapture. The way he talks is even evangelical.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I’ve appreciated seeing a different take on the NT and in particular how Christ is represented. I don’t always agree with the way they present things, and I strongly disagree with some aspects of it, but that’s no different than any book or movie that I watch on any other subject. But I do have to give them kudos for trying. I’m not going to bash a Protestant because they believe in a trinitarian view of the Godhead, or mischaracterize Mary as a harlot, but love them where they are. And that also means we can passionately disagree.

That’s one of the interesting things the LDS church does for a lot of people, it ruins them for any other religion, or it turns them to atheism when they believe some of the lies that are taught (either by church leaders or by ex-mo’s). But, like my neighbor who is Jehova’s Witness, I can still be kind to them because “we are all relations.”
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 2nd, 2023, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

I love The Chosen--I've been donating regularly for more than a year now--but I would not want it used to teach the New Testament in seminary. It's based on the Bible, but it's a work of fiction. Seminary should be used to teach the scriptures. They both have value and they both have their place, and they should not be conflated. I don't think this is satanic at all.

I feel the same way about any historical fiction. If that's people's primary source of knowledge about history, they're going to come out of it with their views of history warped by things that are by definition not true.

First let the kids build up in their minds a foundation of knowledge based on scriptures, and then the fictional stuff might have a better chance of being kept separate in their heads from what is considered true.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

We’ve been enjoying them and I admit some scenes have brought tears to my eyes. I agree with much of what others have written about the show, about adding material to round out the story. I don’t mind much, though.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

h_p wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 7:27 am I love The Chosen--I've been donating regularly for more than a year now--but I would not want it used to teach the New Testament in seminary. It's based on the Bible, but it's a work of fiction. Seminary should be used to teach the scriptures. They both have value and they both have their place, and they should not be conflated. I don't think this is satanic at all.

I feel the same way about any historical fiction. If that's people's primary source of knowledge about history, they're going to come out of it with their views of history warped by things that are by definition not true.

First let the kids build up in their minds a foundation of knowledge based on scriptures, and then the fictional stuff might have a better chance of being kept separate in their heads from what is considered true.
I would even go so far as to say that we should approach the scriptures in a similar fashion as historical fiction. Just because it was written down doesn’t mean it’s true or doctrinally accurate. As most of us believe, the Bible has lost many “plain and previous” truths. If it was written or interpreted by the hand of man, there can be errors. Receiving truth through a witness of the HG is the only sure method of higher learning.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Anyway we look at it, I prefer watching this over all the woke garbage being spewed by all the streaming services. Furthermore, Hollywood is a dumpster fire. I also prefer it to any sports game and over video games. I don't consider it a waste of time to watch this series like I do everything else. But that's just me. It's a very nice and wholesome series. We definitely need more of it.

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

Chip wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:10 pm What's up with all the legal talk and copyrights? Jesus never talked like that.
That’s what happens when you run a corporation instead of a church.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Gadianton Slayer wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:41 am
Chip wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:10 pm What's up with all the legal talk and copyrights? Jesus never talked like that.
That’s what happens when you run a corporation instead of a church.
Most everyone around me considers it to be a church -the only real church - and they took its advice and got the injections and they are grooming their kids for future roles in it. It feels like a kidney stone that won't pass.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ransomme wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:30 am

No, I am pretty sure that he is an Evangelical Christian, his dad wrote the Left Behind series about the Rapture. The way he talks is even evangelical.
No, the guy "above" him is a Mormon. The executive producer or whatever his title is. He put up all the money etc and organised to use the church's film set.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Chip wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:10 pm It always seemed perverse that at the beginning of General Conference an announcer"s voice would say that everything was the property of Bonneville Communications and no part of the broadcast could be reproduced without written permission. I mean, this is the Lord's prophet addressing the entire Earth, right? What's up with all the legal talk and copyrights? Jesus never talked like that.

I guess if they wanted to be really safe they could say that this program is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the views of the copyright owners.
Good point!

Whenever anyone starts a thread about General (non-conferring) Conference, would they please post this 1st:

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

ransomme wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:30 am

Dallas Jenkins, the man behind The Chosen, is an Evangelical Christian and he and his wife, Amanda, are filled with the love of God and want to do his will the best they know how. They pray for help and guidance in this project, before, after and sometimes during filming. My wife and I have personally met and talked with Dallas and Amanda and have felt their love and goodness.

There is a “miracle” behind the The Chosen getting to use the Jerusalem set located in Goshen, Utah. “No” was all Dallas got in his requests to use the set. He then turned the problem over to the Lord and special things began to happen ending with a rental/lease agreement for use of the set.