The Chosen

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: The Chosen

Post by Silver Pie »

Chip wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:10 pm at the beginning of General Conference an announcer"s voice would say that everything was the property of Bonneville Communications and no part of the broadcast could be reproduced without written permission.
I remember when they used to say it could not be reproduced for commercial gain. Said nothing about written permission. When they changed it, I thought it was because anti-Mormons would reproduce the talks and twist them to fit their agendas (even though I'd never seen that happen).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:14 am Not using it in Seminary etc does seem a little odd. The guy behind the whole Chosen project is a Mormon, and the church let them use it's filming facilities in Utah.
ransomme wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:30 am No, I am pretty sure that he is an Evangelical Christian, his dad wrote the Left Behind series about the Rapture. The way he talks is even evangelical.

Not LDS - and he's renting the set. The Church rents out its sets/locations.

My source is a friend who played a few bit parts in one of the seasons (maybe more than one).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:29 am No, the guy "above" him is a Mormon. The executive producer or whatever his title is. He put up all the money etc and organised to use the church's film set.
How could he have put up all the money when they are funded by donations?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thinker wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:33 am
Whenever anyone starts a thread about General (non-conferring) Conference, would they please post this 1st:
🤣

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Lineman1012 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:36 am Dallas Jenkins, the man behind The Chosen, is an Evangelical Christian and he and his wife, Amanda, are filled with the love of God and want to do his will the best they know how. They pray for help and guidance in this project, before, after and sometimes during filming. My wife and I have personally met and talked with Dallas and Amanda and have felt their love and goodness.

There is a “miracle” behind the The Chosen getting to use the Jerusalem set located in Goshen, Utah. “No” was all Dallas got in his requests to use the set. He then turned the problem over to the Lord and special things began to happen ending with a rental/lease agreement for use of the set.
That's awesome! Goes to show that God really can work mighty miracles, especially if the purpose for asking for the miracles is to bring as many people to Christ as possible.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Silver Pie wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:08 pm
Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:14 am Not using it in Seminary etc does seem a little odd. The guy behind the whole Chosen project is a Mormon, and the church let them use it's filming facilities in Utah.
ransomme wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:30 am No, I am pretty sure that he is an Evangelical Christian, his dad wrote the Left Behind series about the Rapture. The way he talks is even evangelical.

Not LDS - and he's renting the set. The Church rents out its sets/locations.

My source is a friend who played a few bit parts in one of the seasons (maybe more than one).
The money guy behind it is Mormon.
It's no secret.
There's an interview with him on YouTube somewhere.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:32 pm The money guy behind it is Mormon.
It's no secret.
So there's a Mormon who is one of the sponsors of the series?

He obviously is not completely footing the bill, because they ask for donations and show how much they've received.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Silver Pie wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:35 pm
It's no secret.

He obviously is not completely footing the bill, because they ask for donations and show how much they've received.
His name is Derral Eves and his Wikipedia page describes him as the co-founder and Executive Producer of The Chosen.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:36 pm
Silver Pie wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:35 pm
It's no secret.

His name is Derral Eves and his Wikipedia page describes him as the co-founder and Executive Producer of The Chosen.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/derraleves :?:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Robin Hood wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:36 pm His name is Derral Eves and his Wikipedia page describes him as the co-founder and Executive Producer of The Chosen.
Interesting. Thank you. I obviously didn't know that.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Thinker wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:33 am
Chip wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:10 pm It always seemed perverse that at the beginning of General Conference an announcer"s voice would say that everything was the property of Bonneville Communications and no part of the broadcast could be reproduced without written permission. I mean, this is the Lord's prophet addressing the entire Earth, right? What's up with all the legal talk and copyrights? Jesus never talked like that.

I guess if they wanted to be really safe they could say that this program is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the views of the copyright owners.
Good point!

Whenever anyone starts a thread about General (non-conferring) Conference, would they please post this 1st:
Yes, you'll find it in the Horror section of the video library.

Pnwlivesmatter
captain of 50

Post by Pnwlivesmatter »

I dont trust it. Someone mentioned to me how "its so nice to see real characters that aren't WHITE". A lot of people both in the church (and of course those who have left), are OBSESSED with the fact that Jesus ISNT WHITE! Like they will not stop talking about it. They are so tied up in their hatred of white people, I swear when they die and meet a whiter Jesus that they were expecting they will be upset (vs overjoyed at meeting him)

is it a woke fest garbage? is Peter or James portrayed as trans non-binary black? I don't trust any new media nowadays.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: January 5th, 2023, 6:22 pm is it a woke fest garbage? is Peter or James portrayed as trans non-binary black? I don't trust any new media nowadays.
No, and no.

There's an Ethiopian woman in there. I think 99.99% of the actors are white, if that means anything to you. (Are some of the actors of mid-eastern descent? I have no idea.)

This is not woke garbage, I promise you!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: January 5th, 2023, 6:22 pmSomeone mentioned to me how "its so nice to see real characters that aren't WHITE".
Weird of them to say that in connection with The Chosen series.

Now, I saw something on Netflix or YouTube a while back about a black Jesus in a modern neighborhood. Stupid plot. Filthy language. Not worth the minutes I watched until I bailed. Had to wash my brain with soap to get it out. 🧼 🛀🏻

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

What about “Korean Jesus”? I’m truly hoping Jesus has a since of humor. That was a funny scene……

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

My personal belief is that this (excellent) series is currently doing more to lead souls to Christ, than the entire efforts of the modern LDS church.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

PressingForward wrote: January 5th, 2023, 7:55 pm What about “Korean Jesus”? I’m truly hoping Jesus has a since of humor. That was a funny scene……
I love this scene from season one - the calling of Matthew

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

Thanks to The Chosen I now have solid proof that raisins don’t belong in baked goods. It’s basically doctrine for me now. 😆
Last edited by briznian on January 5th, 2023, 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I am far from perfect I'll openly admit it. As a parent who hasn't struggled with a way to make the gospel and the scriptures relatable to their kids? Our family fell in love with the Chosen and it's portrayal of the various characters from day one. We have tried to support it as we can. I'm amazed at how many folks at church are doing the same. We have a widowed sister that has a throw Inslee out sticker on one side of the back window of her car and a Chosen on the other side. Quite a few individuals at church wearing Chosen shirts and hoodies.
We have watched it with two individuals that were struggling with their testimonies and in both cases they were in tears by the end of the episode that they watched in our home. I don't remember anyone crying during a church produced show being shown during family home evening. nuf said. We like it!

It definitely is not 100% correct as per our Joseph Smith translation of the bible, and for those that adhere to parts of the Apocrypha it will most likely be missing points from that as well. However they have gone to great lengths to add in small historical anecdotes that have been simply amazing. Little things like Jesus sitting on the Moses chair in episode 3 Season 3. These have helped to foster lots of discussion in our home. Some of the episodes, we have watched 4-5 times. It's nice that after church the kids are asking if they can watch the Chosen instead of another made up BYU TV feel good show.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

One of the things that is good about The Chosen is that they made Matthew autistic. Autistic kids recognize that and feel included in the Lord's attention and love.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

I have liked The Chosen, and I can tolerate the Evangelical view of Jesus, but I have been wondering if The Chosen will make it through all 7 seasons. Season 1 felt like 90%+ historical fiction which most viewers could accept because it's "plausible" and not in the Bible, so few people are not going to get offended. But eventually they are going to have to portray more meaningful events and that will require a perspective and a doctrinal interpretation. Everyone loves the notion that Jesus heals people, and hints towards his mission. Not everyone is going to love some of the upcoming events. I half expect that everyone will be offended at something in The Chosen significantly before the series ends -- except the mormons. We are used to it, and we are actually pretty tolerant. The "mormon issue" of The Chosen has flared up massively twice in 2.5 seasons. So while everyone is all lovely-dove, buddy-buddy now, we'll see if that's lasts until the end of season 7.

I used to think that Christians (non-LDS) were mostly good people who just didn't have the full gospel, and we doing their best with what they had. There are lots of good Christians that are like that. But there are also lots of Christians (non-LDS) that are far from Christlike and can be very nasty and hateful to anyone that doesn't believe in their particular denomination. Many see the devil in anything that doesn't conform perfectly to their view, and a lot of Christian denominations have a very strange take on Christ and actually have a strange religion. Seems like one thing they can all agree on is how bad and wrong mormons are.

Pnwlivesmatter
captain of 50

Post by Pnwlivesmatter »

Silver Pie wrote: January 5th, 2023, 6:36 pm
Pnwlivesmatter wrote: January 5th, 2023, 6:22 pm is it a woke fest garbage? is Peter or James portrayed as trans non-binary black? I don't trust any new media nowadays.
No, and no.

There's an Ethiopian woman in there. I think 99.99% of the actors are white, if that means anything to you. (Are some of the actors of mid-eastern descent? I have no idea.)

This is not woke garbage, I promise you!
ok i started watching and I actually like it! not woke at all lol. was worried they would make Peter gay or something.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: January 7th, 2023, 2:49 pm ok i started watching and I actually like it! not woke at all lol. was worried they would make Peter gay or something.
Yeah, I totally would not have watched much, and never would be talking about how good it is if they'd made Peter or Jesus or whoever gay (or trans) or some other "woke" crap.

Chris01
captain of 10

Post by Chris01 »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: January 5th, 2023, 6:22 pm I dont trust it...
That was my first reaction: "Woah, this could be totally DANGEROUS and brainwash a lot of people in a subtle way..." That thought was gone by the end of the first episode and as a lot of others have said, I have felt the spirit in a lot of the episodes- sometimes very strongly.

I love it, and I think they're doing great work! Through the characters they are making the scriptures so relatable to a lot of people. I just hope they don't mess anything up.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

I thought tonight's episode was one of the better ones. I like how they portrayed the "virtue" leaving Jesus when the woman touched his garment.

As for how well The Chosen is being received in the world of Christendom, just search for "The Chosen" on YouTube and see how many videos there are decrying it or saying it's heretical etc. It's generating more and more opposition. That probably means it a good thing.

on edit:
here's the part, at timestamp 48:36 in the livestream. Direct link to timestamp: https://youtu.be/__LCOEe2qXQ?t=2916