The Nemenhah Records—Thoughts & Impressions

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

The Nemenhah Records—Thoughts & Impressions

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I figured the best way I could kick off 2023 was to put together a quick overview of the Nemenhah Records w/ an invitation to study them for yourself. This thread will hopefully contain my thoughts and impressions as I have been taught by the Spirit. Here is the link:

https://www.reluctantwatchman.com/nemenhah-records

I'm going to make a plea with any of you detractors. My intention with this thread is to discuss the doctrinal and historical insights as presented in the records themselves. This is not a thread for bashing the translators or how we would never receive any additional records except through the prophet of the LDS church. If you want to go there, start your own thread. While I appreciate rigorous discussion, I reserve the right to completely ignore you. This thread is for people who want to learn more.

Here is the intro copy for quick reference:
“Behold, they who do still see with the eyes of the spirit shall read these records, and of this prophecy most especially, and they shall beseech me again, seeking my face. And when they do this, I shall show myself unto them with great power. Then shall the restoration proceed again unhindered by pride.” —Jesus Christ, The Second Book of Samuel, p.129

During the Summer of 2021, I had a friend casually suggest that I might be interested in a book that she had recently come across. Little did I know how this simple invitation would have such a profound impact on my life and the lives of those around me. I’ve struggled for some time to find the correct words to introduce this topic. I’m grateful that almost no explanation was given as to what the Nemenhah Records were. Simply studying and learning without any prejudice was such a blessing. It’s for this reason that I struggle to add context and framework as I introduce this record.

Knowing that my experience was unique to me, I’ll try to give sufficient context to encourage you, the reader, to study the words of this record, to absorb any truth that you find, and to see if it blesses your life. I have never found any record that teaches the doctrines of Christ with such clarity. I have never found any record that outlines the principles of Zion like this record. The precepts are unmistakable. I have also never found any record that so frequently encourages the reader to ask God for divine revelation in all things, even challenging you to not trust a single thing contained within its pages unless you receive a witness of the Holy Ghost. For that is the overarching theme, take all things to God for a witness of the Spirit.

So here’s what I’ll do, I’ll give you a very basic framework and background of the record and then invite you, if you feel so inclined, to read the record for yourself.

Record Overview

The Nemenhah Record is a history that begins with a man named Hagoth whose ancestors left Jerusalem around 600 BC. If you are familiar with the Book of Mormon, Hagoth was the shipbuilder referenced in only a few verses of scripture. Around 55 years before Christ’s birth, Hagoth lead a sizeable group of people into the North country, or what we know today as North America. Instead of these people following the name tradition of calling themselves either Nephites or Lamanites or any manner of -ites, they called themselves Nemenhah which means “The People” or more accurately “The People guided by the Holy Ghost.”

This record follows the descendants of Hagoth for nearly 1600 years, detailing many incredible and heartbreaking events, up until the time when the Gentiles spread across the Americas and drove the native people from their lands. Within this timeframe, we hear from great prophets such as Samuel the Lamanite, Corianton (son of Alma), Moroni (the last Nephite prophet), women who were prophetesses, the Three Nephites, and many, many more. There are also detailed accounts of Jesus Christ visiting two separate groups of people and teaching them His doctrine. The first appearance was to a people in the Western part of the country in a city called Mentinah, and the second visit was to the Northeastern part of the country, where Corianton and his people lived.

Some of the overarching principles taught are the four core pillars or laws: The Pillar of Knowledge and Obedience, The Pillar of Sacrifice, The Pillar of Virtue, and The Pillar of Consecration. All of these were taught within the home to their children from a very young age. Living these principles, as taught in purity, truly was an endowment unto them. This often culminated in them being taught personally by angels and even the Savior upon The Way. Receiving the gift of the Second Comforter, even a personal witness of Christ is taught throughout. And by far, one of the most oft-repeated principles is seeking wisdom and knowledge through the gift of the Holy Ghost. I know of no record which repeats this invitation with more frequency and with more clarity.

I would also be amiss if I didn’t mention the prophecies of these people and how they saw the state of the world in our day and the corruption of doctrine and general apostate nature of later-day churches. This record has helped immensely in separating truth from error and guided me to a much stronger faith in the Lord and our Heavenly Parents.

I feel that this is enough of a primer to introduce this record. I invite you to set aside any preconceived notions and approach this record with an open mind, not trust anything unless the Spirit witnesses truth to your heart and mind. Set aside any biases you may have and just read. Allow the Holy Ghost to be your guide.

Shalom
You can purchase a hardcover/printed edition here:
https://www.lulu.com/shop/phillip-r-clo ... pageSize=4

You can purchase an Ebook/digital pdf here:
https://www.lulu.com/shop/phillip-r-clo ... pageSize=4

EDIT: I just learned that a new 2nd Edition was released recently (Dec. 2022). Three books from the original publication were added back in. The details can be found here: http://www.nemenhah.org/publications.html
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on January 1st, 2023, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: The Nemenhah Records—Thoughts & Impressions

I had a conversation w/ a friend not long ago on the topic of "the doctrine of Christ" and the comparison between this record and the BoM, namely faith, repentance, baptism, and so forth. The BoM outlines this basic doctrine in 2 Nephi 31 as well as 3 Nephi. In the Nemenhah Records, this basic sequence of the doctrine of salvation is taught four times; almost verbatim as to what is taught w/in the BoM.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I feel I should add this note early on in this thread. In this most recent edition of the records there are footnotes that have been added. While some of them are helpful, there are a few that I very much disagree with. I honestly have to wonder if someone other than the original translators added some of those footnotes. The record clearly teaches the importance of the union between men and women, yet a few of the footnotes fly in the face of what is taught. I know a little more backstory to this, but I’ll save it for a later date.

Havenseeker
captain of 10

Post by Havenseeker »

I am currently reading this book. It is definitely better than a few other “alternate scriptures” that I’ve read. I haven’t determined if this work is one made up by a clever person (or group of people) or if it is truly what it claims to be. But it speaks of Christ and there is nothing that I have come across yet that the spirit tells me is blatantly false. There certainly are weird bits, which boosts the likelihood that this is a man-made narrative device but not definitively so. I am interested to get to the end to see how the whole narrative is laid out so I decide how I feel about it.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Havenseeker wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:02 am I am currently reading this book. It is definitely better than a few other “alternate scriptures” that I’ve read. I haven’t determined if this work is one made up by a clever person (or group of people) or if it is truly what it claims to be. But it speaks of Christ and there is nothing that I have come across yet that the spirit tells me is blatantly false. There certainly are weird bits, which boosts the likelihood that this is a man-made narrative device but not definitively so. I am interested to get to the end to see how the whole narrative is laid out so I decide how I feel about it.
There are aspects to the record that I am still pondering on. After reading it through once, and now half way through with a slower read, I feel that the record itself is what it purports to be in that it is a record of Hagoth’s descendants.

An interesting principle that is taught throughout this record is that the only way to know truth is through the Holy Ghost. Which requires both knowledge and a witness of the Spirit (mind and heart). It doesn’t matter what record or book we read. How do we “know” the principles in the BoM are valid? Through the Holy Ghost. I’d even make such a bold claim that Christ would teach us not to follow his teachings unless the Holy Ghost offered a second witness. That’s how important of a role each member of the Godhead plays.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

You know my thoughts on this.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Basic questions:

How long is it? BoM size? NT size?

Where is best to start?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:22 am You know my thoughts on this.
Better than the Book of Jeraneck by that guy from ?Staffordshire.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:23 am
What isn't?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:22 am Basic questions:

Where is best to start?
The PDF is 648 pages, actually chapter content is 628 pages.

As with most books, I’d suggest you start at the beginning. It sets the framework for most things that happen afterword.

Havenseeker
captain of 10

Post by Havenseeker »

Where is best to start?

It is 600+ PDF pages. I’m not sure the word counts on all the books, but it feels around BOM size, maybe a little longer.

And like all books, start at the beginning ;)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I do appreciate that you were kind enough to stick to the initial OP premise.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:25 am
Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:23 am
What isn't?
I could have come up with something better than Jeraneck. Not kidding. I think you could too.

Haven't read much of the NR but some of it feels out of place. Not enough to form a real judgement.

Then there was that ? Nemelka book. Well written but he overegged things in a couple of place.

It does raise the question of how we'd be able to know if we got a genuine new scripture in these times.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Havenseeker wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:27 am

Where is best to start?

It is 600+ PDF pages. I’m not sure the word counts on all the books, but it feels around BOM size, maybe a little longer.

Got to do a time investment analysis. Whatever you wish to call it? The BoM and the likes of the Koran are not monstrously long reads but they are pretty long.

Some of the other religion's scriptures are massive. The Mahabharata is nine times as long as the Bible. The Oahspe is a monster too. The infamous Talmud (which is occasionally quoted on here) is so long that the majority of Jews have never read it. I don't believe anyone knows the Talmud completely.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:36 am

Where is best to start?

Got to do a time investment analysis. Whatever you wish to call it? The BoM and the likes of the Koran are not monstrously long reads but they are pretty long.

Some of the other religion's scriptures are massive. The Mahabharata is nine times as long as the Bible. The Oahspe is a monster too. The infamous Talmud (which is occasionally quoted on here) is so long that the majority of Jews have never read it. I don't believe anyone knows the Talmud completely.
The first time I read the record it took three weeks. But I was waking up early enough that most people would admit you to an insane asylum for reading a book that early in the morning.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:38 am
Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:36 am

Where is best to start?

The first time I read the record it took three weeks. But I was waking up early enough that most people would admit you to an insane asylum for reading a book that early in the morning.
As long as it's more interesting than Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Watchtower or those Hairy Chestnut books.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:46 am As long as it's more interesting than Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Watchtower or those Hairy Chestnut books.
I don’t know if I could find a better read for anyone who studies the BoM.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:51 am
Niemand wrote: January 1st, 2023, 9:46 am As long as it's more interesting than Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Watchtower or those Hairy Chestnut books.
I don’t know if I could find a better read for anyone who studies the BoM.
I need something to freshen up my BoM reading. I've become lax on that score. I think I associate it subconsciously with the idiots currently running the corporation. I know that's unfair, because Joseph Smith's church and revelation was very different.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

fake and gay :lol:

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

What is this book’s take on Plural Marriage?

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Luke wrote: January 1st, 2023, 10:28 am What is this book’s take on Plural Marriage?
It says this guy named "Luke" will restore Plural Marriage in the Promised Land

😜

Gadianton Slayer
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Gadianton Slayer »

abijah wrote: January 1st, 2023, 10:26 am fake and gay :lol:
The translator’s son certainly likes fruitcake, but I see no evidence to support their claims in the book itself.

Generic User
captain of 10

Post by Generic User »

Luke wrote: January 1st, 2023, 10:28 am What is this book’s take on Plural Marriage?
I'm a little shocked as how well that measuring stick works these days. Most of the "false scriptures, false teachers, and false davidic servants" are all rabidly anti plural marriage. Which is kind of the opposite of what one would expect. You'd think it would a bunch of Warren Jeff's wannabes polluting the practice of PM. But no, it's proven to be quite the opposite.
It's my first question and it weeds most of them out immediately.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Plural marriage is referenced a few different times, and in a few different eras. Let’s just say that the exact same doctrine as what Jacob teaches in the BoM is also in this record.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: January 1st, 2023, 11:12 am
Plural marriage is referenced a few different times, and in a few different eras. Let’s just say that the exact same doctrine as what Jacob teaches in the BoM is also in this record.
You should just post the actual verse...like you do when we talk about any other scriptures

Lol I know there's a fad going around on this forum where people refuse to post their content or conclusion, and tell those who ask to "go find out yourself...you ear itching bastard".....lol
They do this so their fruit can be formed by the eaters imagination.

LDS leaders do the same thing. "If you do XYZ, this conference will be the most special conference in your life... There will never be another conference like this conference!"
Last edited by nightlight on January 1st, 2023, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.