Why I’m Leaving the Mormon Church

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Why I’m Leaving the Mormon Church

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

A few thoughts from a friend of mine: "Why I'm Leaving the Mormon Church"
https://20centfilmreview.wordpress.com/ ... on-church/

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Re: Why I’m Leaving the Mormon Church

Post by MikeMaillet »

Yesterday I wrote a letter to my Bishop asking that my name be removed from the records of the church. Your friend’s reasons for leaving the church are very similar to mine and it is because I believe the Book of Mormon that I wrote the letter.

Like your friend, I have ventured outside the canon and have let the Spirit be my guide. I’m glad I did and I’m glad that I have stayed away from commentaries by “experts.”

My letter will be mailed today or tomorrow.

Thanks for posting this.

Mike

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

MikeMaillet wrote: December 19th, 2022, 9:44 am Yesterday I wrote a letter to my Bishop asking that my name be removed from the records of the church. Your friend’s reasons for leaving the church are very similar to mine and it is because I believe the Book of Mormon that I wrote the letter.

Like your friend, I have ventured outside the canon and have let the Spirit be my guide. I’m glad I did and I’m glad that I have stayed away from commentaries by “experts.”

Thanks for posting this.

Mike
I am in the process of composing a letter that will most likely have an in-person meeting with my bishop early next year.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Good luck to both of you. I would love to hear follow-up on what happens.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 8:47 am A few thoughts from a friend of mine: "Why I'm Leaving the Mormon Church"
So the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of LDS or no church at all?

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

Depressing thread.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Christianlee wrote: December 19th, 2022, 11:37 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 8:47 am A few thoughts from a friend of mine: "Why I'm Leaving the Mormon Church"
So the Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of LDS or no church at all?
I'm not exactly sure where she's going with her beliefs. I don't get the feeling that she's joining a group at the moment unless you consider those who are seeking truth a "group."

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

onefour1 wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:10 pm Depressing thread.
Why?

I'm super excited for my friend. Why not be happy for someone who is breaking cycles of abuse and false traditions and beliefs?

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

D&C 10:
67 Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Is the family of this friend still in tact? I hear so many stories of how when a husband or wife leave the church, the spouse files for divorce. My son in law lost all faith in God, etc. Daughter considered what to do and decided that he was still a good husband, great father and they all still get along fine so she decided to stay with him. He just doesn't support them spiritually.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

HereWeGo wrote: December 19th, 2022, 1:21 pm
Is the family of this friend still in tact? I hear so many stories of how when a husband or wife leave the church, the spouse files for divorce. My son in law lost all faith in God, etc. Daughter considered what to do and decided that he was still a good husband, great father and they all still get along fine so she decided to stay with him. He just doesn't support them spiritually.
She's single. After seeing who "liked" or "loved" comments that were pro-Church, I can see some of her family members are very much in the church, so I'm sure there's some tension there.

I hope for the best outcome for your daughter and SIL. When we eventually come to know all things are they are, I'm gonna guess there will be many who will have their faith restored in things of a spiritual nature.

LDS Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by LDS Watchman »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
Why?

I'm super excited for my friend. Why not be happy for someone who is breaking cycles of abuse and false traditions and beliefs?
Your friend is clearly very confused and has been deceived into believing the lie that Brigham Young murdered Joseph Smith and hijacked the church. Instead of "breaking cycles of abuse and false traditions and beliefs," your friend is being deceived and led down a forbidden path.

This is indeed depressing.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I don't feel depressed at all and I'm not angry with the church.

My anger towards the Q15 has waned significantly the last few years and I can speak about the mall without incurring a serious hike in blood pressure. The Prophet Isaiah and others have seen our day and it is not pretty. God has given us many commandments and in the cornerstone of our church, The Book of Mormon, we are commanded to study diligently the words of Isaiah. A couple of years ago I started studying the words of Isaiah. His Vision describes quite accurately what I am seeing and experiencing in the world, both from a secular and a religious point of view. You have no idea how excited I was to read and begin to understand the Vision. Our church leaders seem a bit distracted at the moment and I don't want to play in their sandbox. They're not the right kind of kids to be playing with, my Momma says.

We are about to experience very dark times but knowing why and knowing that Christ is my Saviour brings me much peace. My decision to leave the church was made rather matter-of-factly because of my testimony of the truthfulness of the words of Isaiah and in The Book of Mormon. The broadway play, The Book of Mormon, is Satan's open mockery of the Covenant Christ made with the Gentiles. We've been deceived just like Adam & Eve, our original parents. That's because we are also Adam & Eve except that we were not the first ones. We have forsaken Zion where everything is held in common and there are no poor, for the glitz of Babylon. The glitz is not shiny anymore, is it?

Depressed? I've never been so motivated!

Mike

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

From another friend of mine, posted recently online:

Most of you have been wondering about my new views on Mormonism. Well it's like this, I am Truman on The Truman Show, I went along day to day being a good little Mormon boy. Followed the Prophet, Repented of my sins to the point of having to speak to a general authority every week for three months so I could go on a mission, go on a mission and helped plenty of people into the waters of baptism, followed the Prophet, come home, get married in the Temple, have five kids, raise them to be Mormons, pay tons of tithing, followed the Prophet, hold multiple callings from nursery to Stake Young men's, never asked to be reimbursed for money spent on Scout outings, followed the Prophet, sent 5 young men on missions (2 not mine). Same old study guide from the Church every 4 yrs.
Finally production of the Truman Show has a glitch, the pandemic! The prophet hesitated!
Seeking guidance from him the only thing he says is fast and pray! I've been doing that from the get go!!!! Please tell us what the Lord says to do!!!!!

Months into it we get THE letter! Holding bated breath for instructions from the Lord we find out we are told to follow what the government dictates not the Lord. We are told it is "safe and effective". Wait, I was told by the Lord to reject it, to rely on Faith and not to be afraid of death. We have the Gospel of Jesus Christ that believes in eternal life! But because of the lack of faith they are shutting down Temples and churches.

The glitches are so obvious I got on a boat and I am rowing towards spiritual freedom and growth. I am more interested in the scriptures and the history of the restoration, more than I ever have. Joseph was right! The book of Mormon is the most correct book on the earth! By searching it in an open non restricted way I have found the LDS culture to be false and full of evil! It is all in the Book of Mormon!
I do believe in following THE Prophet, the Prophet Joseph Smith. No other, they are all a scam.

This is what I have found in my independent studies.
Pay your tithing but according to the original way that was revealed by the Lord to Joseph Smith. On Increase not income.
All tithing is to go for the poor. Not investments or shopping malls.
Joseph Smith NEVER condoned polygamy or priesthood restrictions to the black people. Section 132 of the doctrine of covenants was not written by Joseph Smith or received by Joseph Smith from the Lord.
The LDS Church is not organized according to what was revealed to Joseph Smith.
I have plenty of questions that the Lord has not clarified for me but I am still searching.
I'm still in that boat rowing steady as I can until I come to that exit and meet to kiss the feet of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Great8
captain of 100

Post by Great8 »

MikeMaillet wrote: December 19th, 2022, 9:44 am Yesterday I wrote a letter to my Bishop asking that my name be removed from the records of the church. Your friend’s reasons for leaving the church are very similar to mine and it is because I believe the Book of Mormon that I wrote the letter.

Thanks for posting this.

Mike
Please true up your 2022 tithing beforehand.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

I find it curious that the Missionary Discussions focuses on having people pray about:

1- That the Book Of Mormon is True (Because this is absolutely true)
2- If Joseph Smith was a Prophet (Because he obviously was)

Then they use this train of thought to claim that everything else is true then, no more confirmation is needed. Talk about a logical fallacy.

I wonder what would be the result if they had people pray about the following questions:

1- Did Joseph Smith secretly practice and teach polygamy? Did he really have 14 wives?
2- Is the current Prophet a living prophet that represents Jesus Christ?
3- What Church is true? Which Church should I join?

I find it rather interesting that the history of Joseph Smith teaches us that he was confused about all of the different religions. He attended many of the different religions and asked questions to learn which were true. He ultimately found his answer when reading the Bible and stumbled across James 1:5-6

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

I find it ironic, that in today's Church culture all of these things are strongly discouraged. We are told that this is the only true church, that we have a living Prophet that can never lead you astray. Doubt your doubts, be patient, and so forth.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Thanks for posting this.

Mike
I wrote my letter a couple of weeks ago, but never heard back from anyone as of date, I doubt I will. I feel so at peace now.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

anonymous91 wrote: December 19th, 2022, 4:50 pm 1- Did Joseph Smith secretly practice and teach polygamy? Did he really have 14 wives?
More like 30+.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Everyone has a choice, leaving because difficult times is a faith challenge is understood and predicted in many prophecies. Sorry to see some go, but at least make it honorable and not just leave but leave things alone. The issue is many leave but cannot leave it alone. Choosing for oneself is what this mortal experience is all about, choosing for another is what Satan wants this experience to be all about.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

anonymous91 wrote: December 19th, 2022, 4:50 pm I find it curious that the Missionary Discussions focuses on having people pray about:

1- That the Book Of Mormon is True (Because this is absolutely true)
2- If Joseph Smith was a Prophet (Because he obviously was)

Then they use this train of thought to claim that everything else is true then, no more confirmation is needed. Talk about a logical fallacy.

I wonder what would be the result if they had people pray about the following questions:

1- Did Joseph Smith secretly practice and teach polygamy? Did he really have 14 wives?
2- Is the current Prophet a living prophet that represents Jesus Christ?
3- What Church is true? Which Church should I join?

I find it rather interesting that the history of Joseph Smith teaches us that he was confused about all of the different religions. He attended many of the different religions and asked questions to learn which were true. He ultimately found his answer when reading the Bible and stumbled across James 1:5-6

5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

I find it ironic, that in today's Church culture all of these things are strongly discouraged. We are told that this is the only true church, that we have a living Prophet that can never lead you astray. Doubt your doubts, be patient, and so forth.
Excellent points.
It’s kinda like a boy who had no mother or sisters or any feminine figure in his life - falls in love with the 1st girl he sees. Many people crave ANY good feeling - so if they say, “pray about this good idea” as missionaries &/or members shower them with attention & love… it’s easy to feel good, even when it’s really a mixed bag of good and evil.

And that’s good to keep in mind - IT’S A MIXED BAG. It’s not 100% evil nor 100% good - but a mix of both. It is possible to take the best & leave the rest, though I admit that’s not easy to dig through “dung to find diamonds,” & it’s not for everyone

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

TheDuke wrote: December 19th, 2022, 7:27 pm… at least make it honorable and not just leave but leave things alone. The issue is many leave but cannot leave it alone. Choosing for oneself is what this mortal experience is all about, choosing for another is what Satan wants this experience to be all about.
Consider if you applied that philosophy to members who keep preaching to inactives or nonmembers… Basically there would be no missionary work if everyone left others alone with their own beliefs. And those who try to “choose for another” by preaching to them on missions would also be considered satanically taking away choice.

This is an example of double standards. Some want to be able to rock the belief boats of others to believe as they believe - indeed church leaders preach, “EVERY MEMBER A MISSIONARY.” However, they don’t want the same thing applied to them - they don’t want to have their own boat rocked. They want to proselytize to others but they consider it rude when others proselytize towards them.

So… should we all just zip it? No, Christ was the archetype of free speech & as JS said, truth will carve itself… if we can all speak up.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 19th, 2022, 9:51 am
I am in the process of composing a letter that will most likely have an in-person meeting with my bishop early next year.
I already talked to my Deacon's Quorum President.

He said anytime I am ready to write that letter to the prophet that will finally get forwarded to him, he is ready.
He may even defer his facebook mission to address some of my concerns. Now that is dedication!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

The “they can leave the church but can’t leave it alone” thing irritates me to no end. It is almost always the opposite in my experience. The church won’t leave you alone. Of course there is a detox period when a very active member has their whole life ripped out from under them. And that is made worse when most or all of their family/friends can’t understand and sit there mocking, shaming, attacking. There is the risk that your internal compass is faulty and that’s when people go off the rails. They loose external guidance and don’t have the internal controls to maintain. It is dangerous for sure but in the end you have to have you own oil or the bridegroom
Will catch you unprepared. If you do have the internal compass, the lamp full of oil, it may be a painful experience, especially when loved ones attack, but the lord won’t let you go astray if you continue to seek him. He commands lehi to go, Jeremiah to stay, Daniel to be carried off to Babylon, mulek to be carried off by others. I’m sure there are
Many others we know nothing about that he led elsewhere. Don’t assume that if He commands one to stay in the church others aren’t told to leave for their benefit.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

It sounds like a great struggle for your friend. He values truth and has integrity to it.

I am not sure I am sold on Thomas Jefferson being anthing close to an expert on religion, or christianity in particular, but the quote makes the point: Truth leaves no error of man's wisdom within it - or else it isn't truth. This person also seems to have honed their analytical skills to allow for the likelihood that some parts can be true and some not.

This is a conundrum for anyone that actually studies The Book of Mormon. Either you do it because you are supposed to, finding it hard to do (aside from work demands) or you study whole-heartedly but then realize the part where prophets are there to answer questions - no one knows those answers.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

TheDuke wrote: December 19th, 2022, 7:27 pm Everyone has a choice, leaving because difficult times is a faith challenge is understood and predicted in many prophecies. Sorry to see some go, but at least make it honorable and not just leave but leave things alone. The issue is many leave but cannot leave it alone. Choosing for oneself is what this mortal experience is all about, choosing for another is what Satan wants this experience to be all about.
The apostasy of the LDS church was certainly prophesied of.

BTW, this whole “you can leave, but just leave it alone” doesn’t fly. I care about my family and friends who are abused by the church. I care about true vs false doctrine. I see the suffering that happens when men exercise unrighteous dominion, when people die by heeding their counsel.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on December 19th, 2022, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.