Pilot/Aerospace Engineer Realizes Earth is Flat

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Re: Pilot/Aerospace Engineer Realizes Earth is Flat

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

Is it really necessary to have another Flat Earth topic? I don't understand why you can't just post this in one of the many existing topics considering this is already been covered. Oh well.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Earth is Flat

Post by BeNotDeceived »

SempiternalHarbinger wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:23 pm Is it really necessary to have another Flat Earth topic? I don't understand why you can't just post this in one of the many existing topics considering this is already been covered. Oh well.
The flat earth can only be stacked so high then chit begins to slide other threads.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I think if someone can provide an experiment that someone in the Northern hemisphere could do without precise calculations or third+ year college mathematics, then this subject would die. That's what makes it so interesting of a topic.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Re: Earth is Flat

Post by Allison »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:34 pm
SempiternalHarbinger wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:23 pm Is it really necessary to have another Flat Earth topic? I don't understand why you can't just post this in one of the many existing topics considering this is already been covered. Oh well.
The flat earth can only be stacked so high then chit begins to slide other threads.
There is a lot of truth to that. If only we could arrange the one thread topically…

Should we ask creator for our own forum? There are lots of threads that don’t interest me at all and I have to glance at them anyway too, before scrolling on past.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Allison wrote: December 12th, 2022, 10:28 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:34 pm
There is a lot of truth to that. If only we could arrange the one thread topically…

Should we ask creator for our own forum? There are lots of threads that don’t interest me at all and I have to glance at them anyway too, before scrolling on past.
Another forum won’t prevent multiple threads appearing on the recent post pages.

Maybe think about using search links to keyword(s). :idea:

They work within a thread, via Search this topic field at the top of every page.

Like this example: search.php?keywords=Gravity&t=68676&sf=msgonly

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It's not necessary to have a lot of threads, but it's a thing and we live with it. It's not the end of the world; nothing's caught fire; nobody's dead.
Just scroll past the thread if it's really a concern.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:34 pm The flat earth can only be stacked so high then chit begins to slide other threads.
It sure is a nice safe haven from polygamy comments though, right?!!!

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

One of these days I'll post my "Not globe earth, not flat earth, not Minecraft earth, but _____❓🤔❓_____ earth", thread.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 13th, 2022, 2:20 am
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:34 pm The flat earth can only be stacked so high then chit begins to slide other threads.
Who here hasn’t had their fill of that chit? :lol:

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 13th, 2022, 3:02 am
One of these days I'll post my "Not globe earth, not flat earth, not Minecraft earth, but _____❓🤔❓_____ earth", thread.
The FEPeople will surely applaud you.

Power to the feople. :lol:

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 13th, 2022, 2:20 am
bUt JoSePh sMiTh HaD lOtS oF WiVeS.

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

As a aviation professional, I can tell you that the maker of this video is lying about his professional experience.

The glorious thing about commercial aviation is when somebody makes a claim about their credentials, it’s very easy to fact check them.

The person who made this video declares himself to be Joshua Silva

So lets check the FAA Airman certification registry to see if there are any Joshua Silva’s that even resembles the experience this video maker claims to have.
https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/Main.aspx

• There are 2 Joshua Silva’s listed as a student pilot
• 2 listed as a drone pilot
• One listed as an aircraft mechanic
• And one Joshua taylor silva of Salt Lake City, who has been a single engine private pilot since 1998.

There is a Joshua Renee Silva of North Carolina, who received his commercial pilots license in June 2022.
• This Joshua is only certified as a second in command for a Cessna citation jet.

A Joshua Robert Silva, who received his commercial pilot license in August 23 2022
• This Joshua has a second-in-command type rating for midsize, private citation Jets and the Beechcraft premier RA-390
• The ratings for the citation jet are second-in-command privileges only. Which means he is not the captain of the aircraft.
• He was certificated as a flight instructor on Jan 26, 2022
• And the certifications for the 680 is subject to pilot-in-command limitations.
• At the 2:10 mark in the video, there is a pic of a man standing at the door of a Beechcraft Premier aircraft. Given that this Robert is certificated as a second in command on that aircraft we can assume that the video maker is Joshua Robert Silva.

However, the maker of this video claims to have spent time flying, turboprop aircraft, most likely king airs for nonprofits in northern California.

And he says “years” after his turboprop experience, he was flight instructing for “numerous flight schools”

So now we have years of experience he is claiming. But his certificates were not issued by the FAA until 2022, and he is only the second in command with less than a year of experience.

And then he claims to be teaching for flight schools that train for the airlines and the military. This is a little bit curious, because in order to train for airline operations, you have to be certificated in the Aircraft types you teach. It is impossible for somebody with less than one year of certificate experience to have the experience this person claims let alone do any kind of instructing for any military operations

The worst thing you can do an aviation is lie about your experience. Because all of the certificates all of the training you go through is a matter of public record on the FAA website.

Dont believe this stuff.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

JSmith wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:07 am As a aviation professional, I can tell you that the maker of this video is lying about his professional experience.

The glorious thing about commercial aviation is when somebody makes a claim about their credentials, it’s very easy to fact check them.

So lets check the FAA Airman certification registry to see if there are any Joshua Silva’s that even resembles the experience this video maker claims to have.

• And one Joshua taylor silva of Salt Lake City, who has been a single engine private pilot since 1998.

There is a Joshua Renee Silva of North Carolina, who received his commercial pilots license in June 2022.
• This Joshua is only certified as a second in command for a Cessna citation jet.

A Joshua Robert Silva, who received his commercial pilot license in August 23 2022
• This Joshua has a second-in-command type rating for midsize, private citation Jets and the Beechcraft premier RA-390
• The ratings for the citation jet are second-in-command privileges only. Which means he is not the captain of the aircraft.
• And the certifications for the 680 is subject to pilot-in-command limitations.
• At the 2:10 mark in the video, there is a pic of a man standing at the door of a Beechcraft Premier aircraft. Given that this Robert is certificated as a second in command on that aircraft we can assume that the video maker is Joshua Robert Silva.

However, the maker of this video claims to have spent time flying, turboprop aircraft, most likely king airs for nonprofits in northern California.

And he says “years” after his turboprop experience, he was flight instructing for “numerous flight schools”

So now we have years of experience he is claiming. But his certificates were not issued by the FAA until 2022, and he is only the second in command with less than a year of experience.

And then he claims to be teaching for flight schools that train for the airlines and the military. This is a little bit curious, because in order to train for airline operations, you have to be certificated in the Aircraft types you teach. It is impossible for somebody with less than one year of certificate experience to have the experience this person claims let alone do any kind of instructing for any military operations

The worst thing you can do an aviation is lie about your experience. Because all of the certificates all of the training you go through is a matter of public record on the FAA website.

Dont believe this stuff.
Furthermore, what he said was wrong anyway. I am not a commercial pilot, but I have flown a Cessna 150 as a student. Angle of attack has nothing to do with a globe or flat earth.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

JSmith wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:07 am As a aviation professional, I can tell you that the maker of this video is lying about his professional experience.

Dont believe this stuff.
I'm not a pilot but it is obvious to me this man is less than genuine. For example, he conflated the coriolis effect with curvature, when it is said to be a property of the movement of the earth.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Fred wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:43 am

Dont believe this stuff.
Furthermore, what he said was wrong anyway. I am not a commercial pilot, but I have flown a Cessna 150 as a student. Angle of attack has nothing to do with a globe or flat earth.
He never said that it did. He said: “angle of attack being the angle between an aircraft’s flight path and the relative wind...and the idea that the aircraft has to be slightly pitched up to remain airborne.”

He prefaced this with explaining that he had always taken for granted that the curvature of the earth was figured into the angle of attack but on further research could not find anything to substantiate that.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Robin Hood wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:52 am

Dont believe this stuff.
I'm not a pilot but it is obvious to me this man is less than genuine. For example, he conflated the coriolis effect with curvature, when it is said to be a property of the movement of the earth.
But he didn’t. He spoke of the coriolis effect being lumped in with wind effect and not really being accounted for.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Pazooka wrote: December 13th, 2022, 9:58 am

Dont believe this stuff.
But he didn’t. He spoke of the coriolis effect being lumped in with wind effect and not really being accounted for.
Listen to it again.
He did say that at one point, but he had already mentioned it in relation to curvature.
He isn't genuine.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Robin Hood wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:00 am

Dont believe this stuff.
Listen to it again.
He did say that at one point, but he had already mentioned it in relation to curvature.
He isn't genuine.
I just did and I’m not hearing what you’re talking about.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

Robin Hood wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:00 am

Dont believe this stuff.
Listen to it again.
He isn't genuine.
Here’s the transcript from that entire section on coriolis effect:

The big one that is oftentimes quoted is compensation for Coriolis effect while flying. This is something that I’d even taught my students about and is always assumed to be correct. We just assume. We’re given a anarrative from a young age and we, everything, is built upon that assumption/upon that theory. So, I thought I had the silver bullet - - au, Coriolis effect! We always calculate for that. But as I began to look through the books and to look into the calculations given for Coriolis effect the narrative began to fall apart even further. I began to see things I didn’t notice when I was in school - - such as the Coriolis effect is actually never calculated for but is assumed to be a part of wind correction angle. WCA is one of the many calculations pilots of all kinds make while flying, to correct against winds in whatever volume or section of air they’re flying through - - which, it could be from any direction and you’re flying through it so you have to compensate a certain angle into that wind to hold a straight line.

Not only do we have what he’s saying, but even the images during that section make it clear that the spin of the earth is what’s being discussed and not curvature.

To me, I find the reactions to this video even more enlightening than the video itself.

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

Dont believe this stuff.
Oh, the whole video is a treadmill of nonsense. I only got through the first few minutes when I became deeply suspicious of his claims of experience.

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

JSmith wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:33 am

Dont believe this stuff.
Oh, the whole video is a treadmill of nonsense. I only got through the first few minutes when I became deeply suspicious of his claims of experience.
Is it a case of, if you can’t debate, discredit?

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

I always start new threads to post things, otherwise what I’m posting wouldn’t be noticed as much by the forum. If the OP decided to post it in a different thread, chances are that hardly anyone would see it.

For instance if I find a really good source that I think is worth posting, I wouldn’t just stick it in some random thread.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

LOL, coriolis affect. Wow flown many aircraft all around the world, including combat fighters and never heard such stupid talk. If that man has any certificates they need to be revoked. So, the only thing close to what he is confusing in the need for "right rudder" on a clockwise turning propeller airplane. but, I've flown counter-clockwise props and they required "left rudder" even in Northern hemisphere? And angle of attack having anything to do with anything geo-spatial is really STUPID (to the stupidist). AoA is only measured (for subsonic aircraft) at the point where the wind contacts the leading edge of the wing. So it is the measure from straight ahead (not up or down) in level flight on the wing. Airplane wings (non-combat fighters anyway) must have a positive AoA to fly so that the upper wing camber may cause the wind to move faster over the top of the wing, making the wing provide lift. If the plane is flying in a down draft (like in or near a convective storm) then the AoA is relative to a non-level attitude.

BTW a guy like this could fly for Ethiopian or Indonesian airlines and maybe a few other third world ones, where people regularly die.

JSmith
captain of 100

Post by JSmith »

Pazooka wrote: December 13th, 2022, 11:08 am
JSmith wrote: December 13th, 2022, 10:33 am

Dont believe this stuff.
Is it a case of, if you can’t debate, discredit?
A liar discredits himself.

and there is no need to debate, this nonsense has been discredited since the dawn of maritime navigation. This is a case of extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My point here was to call out the maker of the video for attempting to falsify his own standing as a means of getting the gullible to buy into him as a credible source.

I guess I can ask, just for my own edification.

• do you believe the moon exists? How does it exist, and what is its shape?

• Does mars exist? what is its shape?

• what about the sun?

• How did the flat earth form? how does gravity work? is gravity a thing at all?
o If gravity doesn’t exist. Which is a common flat earth claim, then what is the force that holds the sun together? If the mass of an object in space, does not create some sort of pool throughout its entire body, then what stops the sun and other objects in space from simply dissolving? What is the force that acts upon objects in space to capture them in orbit, such as earth's orbit around the sun. If earth itself does not have its own gravity, then why would any other object have gravity to keep anything in the entire universe in a state of motion and captive orbits?

• On a flat plain, what is the force that arbitrarily stops the sun's rays from illuminating the entire flat earth if there is no curvature to block and no rotation to create the day and night cycle?

• how does the weather pattern work? for example The reason we have different weather patterns, jet streams, deserts and prevailing winds is all because of the global atmospheric circulation caused by the rotation of the Earth and the amount of heat different parts of the globe receive. The sun is our main source of heat, and because of the tilt of the Earth, its curvature, our atmosphere, clouds and polar ice and snow, different parts of the world heat up differently. This sets up a big temperature difference between the poles and equator but our global circulation provides a natural air conditioning system to stop the equator from becoming hotter and hotter, and the poles becoming colder and colder.

• If the Earth is flat, and there is no curvature on the Earth for the differential heating of the Earth’s surface to create high and low pressures, due to seasonal heating and cooling for the weather patterns to push around the globe, how do weather patterns develop?.

Finally, one final question

The Antonov 225, the largest aircraft in the world, is 275 feet long.

a mile is 5280 feet.

you would have to line up 19 Antonov Aircraft to equal 1 mile. And about 36 of them would equal a 10,000 foot runway.

so the largest aircraft in the world represents 0.04% of a mile.

The earth is 25,000 miles in circumference.

So, if you were to divide the Earth up in 25,000 - 1 mile segments. The largest aircraft operation in the world would take up less than 0.04% of 1/25000 of the Earth.

So when we’re talking about scale, we are talking about the largest aircraft operation on the planet makes up less than a fractional percentage of the space in which it flies.

The scale is so massive in fact, that the curvature of the Earth really does not become a key factor, the aircraft does not have to adjust for the curvature of the Earth, because the scale is so massive and the aircraft is so small that straight and level really is straight and level.

if you were to shrink yourself down to 0.04% of your size now and you physical perception was 0.04% of 1/25000th of your environment and you were to stand on a basketball, do you really think you would notice its curvature?