Christmas Tuneage

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Christmas Tuneage

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Just now,
The Spy FM played Zat You Santa Clause
as performed by Saint Paul and the Broken Bones.

If ye wish to be not bugged by commercial intrusion :x

Then by all means

Simply Ask

Alexa to play

The Spy Fm. 8-)

And add any favorites herein this thread.

Have a great holiday season and a joyous new year!

For Men Are that They Might Have Joy. 🥹

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Christmas Tuneage

Post by Niemand »

Many people will know this tune from elsewhere but these are the original words.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

I've always been partial to the old fashioned Christmas carols rather than the Santa pop.
And always "White Christmas" - Bing Crosby version only.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

https://youtu.be/WGfno5hoyXY
By far my favorite 😊

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

My mother's 1938 Christmas Carol piano music contains "The Holly and the Ivy" set to an old French - mediaeval tuned - melody. I never heard it sung or recorded to this particular French melody outside our home until I ran across a lovely version by Quadriga Consort, about whom I know nothing.

Anyway, to those of us who spent much of our lives surrounded by Douglas Fir & cedar forests, climbing English ivy vines, moss, mushrooms, ancient oak trees in open meadows hosting mistletoe way, way up in the branches, and holly trees bearing their prickles & red berries in winter this might remind you of home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Jderl ... sort-Topic

I wasn't able to directly embed the youtube recording. You'll need to click on the hyperlink if you like, to hear the version I grew up with. The "On a Cold Winter's Day" album appears to have an assortment of Christmas carols performed by Quadriga Consort in their 'ancient music' style.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

There is buffalo girls’s beautiful winter scene.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

So beautiful, Niemand! Truly a prayer expressing our dearest hopes.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Niemand wrote: December 11th, 2022, 5:40 pm
All of it was beautiful, including the graphics. Even the font, where every small T was a cross. But the music, lyrics, and the stained glass made for a wonderful sensory experience.

Thanks to all for sharing.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

buffalo_girl wrote: December 11th, 2022, 5:06 pm My mother's 1938 Christmas Carol piano music contains "The Holly and the Ivy" set to an old French - mediaeval tuned - melody. I never heard it sung or recorded to this particular French melody outside our home until I ran across a lovely version by Quadriga Consort, about whom I know nothing.

Anyway, to those of us who spent much of our lives surrounded by Douglas Fir & cedar forests, climbing English ivy vines, moss, mushrooms, ancient oak trees in open meadows hosting mistletoe way, way up in the branches, and holly trees bearing their prickles & red berries in winter this might remind you of home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Jderl ... sort-Topic

I wasn't able to directly embed the youtube recording. You'll need to click on the hyperlink if you like, to hear the version I grew up with. The "On a Cold Winter's Day" album appears to have an assortment of Christmas carols performed by Quadriga Consort in their 'ancient music' style.
Hauntingly beautiful.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

JLHPROF wrote: December 11th, 2022, 11:30 am I've always been partial to the old fashioned Christmas carols rather than the Santa pop.
Same here. Recently I've been enjoying listening to a classical christian songs playlist.

It can be helpful for children to expose them to classical music to help them appreciate good music that doesn't bombard their ears with a constant beat. I do enjoy a variety of rock music but I try to listen in moderation.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Enya actually did a lovely version of that one.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

creator wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:41 pm
JLHPROF wrote: December 11th, 2022, 11:30 am I've always been partial to the old fashioned Christmas carols rather than the Santa pop.
Same here. Recently I've been enjoying listening to a classical christian songs playlist.

It can be helpful for children to expose them to classical music to help them appreciate good music that doesn't bombard their ears with a constant beat. I do enjoy a variety of rock music but I try to listen in moderation.
I think with children you probably don't want to bombard them with Haydn or Brahms until they can appreciate it. There used to be a tradition here of exposing (mainly middle class!) children to lighter/easier classical music first: Strauss waltzes, Peter and the Wolf, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Carnival of the Animals, Nutcracker Suite etc.

I do sneer a bit at the middle class thing which is unfortunately true, but I've always said that classical music should be tried out by everyone. If they don't like all of it, then fine. Like any music, don't start with the heavier/more complex stuff.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

In keeping with the spirit of the forum, I call this Holly and the Irony
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on December 12th, 2022, 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Allison wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:02 pm
All of it was beautiful, including the graphics. Even the font, where every small T was a cross. But the music, lyrics, and the stained glass made for a wonderful sensory experience.

Thanks to all for sharing.
The words had an effect on me watching that. I've known the carol since early childhood, but somehow it feels so relevant just now... "to ransom captive Israel". That's where we are heading. (I don't mean the State of Israel...)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Just a reminder.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (381.53 KiB) Viewed 516 times

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I’m surprised no one has posted a favorite version of Silent Night. :?

Surprised at not seeing its connection with the difference between Crist and Christ.

Speaking of surprises, I was introduced to Zat You Santa Clause by me nameless friend long about 2002 or 2003. IIRC, it was the first song on his self-compiled Christmas collection in whatever year it was.

Silence is Golden and was the first of many Flying Colors. :)

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 4:59 pm

It looks like church already beat you to it with the Saturday Eve General Conference Priesthood Choir.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Niemand wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:37 am
creator wrote: December 11th, 2022, 8:41 pm

I think with children you probably don't want to bombard them with Haydn or Brahms until they can appreciate it. There used to be a tradition here of exposing (mainly middle class!) children to lighter/easier classical music first: Strauss waltzes, Peter and the Wolf, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Carnival of the Animals, Nutcracker Suite etc.

I do sneer a bit at the middle class thing which is unfortunately true, but I've always said that classical music should be tried out by everyone. If they don't like all of it, then fine. Like any music, don't start with the heavier/more complex stuff.
I was one of those 80s British kids. Definitely Peter and the Wolf.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Letfreedumbring wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:33 pm

It looks like church already beat you to it with the Saturday Eve General Conference Priesthood Choir.
Did I miss something? YouTube had one from 10 years ago, but I like this one better.
Anyone have a version they like better?

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 12th, 2022, 8:18 pm
Letfreedumbring wrote: December 12th, 2022, 7:33 pm

Did I miss something? YouTube had one from 10 years ago, but I like this one better.
Anyone have a version they like better?
This one is lovely.