SUGAR

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

SUGAR

Post by Momma J »

When saying my prayers, I asked for wisdom so that I may better serve.

Upon rising from my knees, I received 3 words. It was not a voice. It was instant instruction that resonated through me.

"Don't Eat Sugar"

I had not been praying or searching for any info on sugar.... Yet the words were resolute.

No preamble

No explanation as to WHY...

So, I am making every attempt to avoid sugar. (It is hard. I had no idea as to the level of my sugar addiction until now)

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: SUGAR

Post by Jonesy »

We must be on the same wavelength. I’ve been off simple carbs for a few months now. At times it’s hard, but I find that I mostly have salt cravings now. Fruit is so much more enjoyable now, too. So many benefits. It automatically tilted my diet with more nutritious foods. I don’t believe in diets that don’t last forever unless for a certain cure. I also use this guy’s YouTube channel and search for random tips—it’s a great tool and also has great stuff on fasting.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I feel you.

cutting out sugar, IMO, is the #1 thing you can do to enjoy a longer healthier life.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Jonesy, thank you for linking the youtube guy. I looked through his extensive list of videos and see several that I want to watch!

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

My coworkers like to bring in baked goodies. It is tough to walk past the breakroom. This week I brought in apples oranges and bananas. I was pleasantly surprised that the fruit was the first thing to be devoured.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Momma J wrote: December 8th, 2022, 8:00 am My coworkers like to bring in baked goodies. It is tough to walk past the breakroom. This week I brought in apples oranges and bananas. I was pleasantly surprised that the fruit was the first thing to be devoured.
It's so bad at our ward - people bring candy ALL THE TIME. we've stopped sending our daughter to activities because it's all sugar, all the time - donuts, drinks, candy, chocolate. She seriously reacts more than most people - she gets weepy or angry or noticeably tired or manic if she eats sugar - and it happens right away. we tried to explain it to her leaders, and every new leader, but they just don't get it like we do. Always asking what she can eat and it just got to be too much to keep explaining it. I know they don't believe us - probably think we're overprotective or something. Can't the activity just be about getting together, or does it always have to be about eating?

my gosh, we mormons are so fat - it is not right. yet we look down on smokers. It's insane.

When we started looking into her problems years ago, we realized it was affecting us as well. We used to have a "candy box" that we would break out late at night after all the kids went to bed. watching movies and eating candy was "how we relaxed". But we used to fight sometimes - my wife said it was like I "wasn't there", even though I was there. I noticed confusion and slow thinking from myself.

So we cut it all out. banana smoothies are now our "vice". my family visited over the summer - had a picnic - they all brought drinks and jelly beans and sugar crisp cookies, and we just had hotdogs, potato salad, fruit, and water. I couldn't believe how slow and dumb they all seemed. no offense, I love my siblings, but it was eye-opening. I think it's sugar.

I read something that said sugar inhibits your body's ability to fight infections - it displaces magnesium by like 4:1, which makes you more susceptible to infections. magnesium also protects your body from diabetes.

you can look it up, but sugar is "white death".

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

I was off sugar for 9 months.

Felt better than I ever have.

Fell off the bandwagon. Spouse and kids aren't on board, and it's everywhere. I lack willpower.

You've given me inspiration to pray for the strength to recommit myself to this goal.

Thanks.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

endlessismyname wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:53 am I was off sugar for 9 months.

Felt better than I ever have.

Fell off the bandwagon. Spouse and kids aren't on board, and it's everywhere. I lack willpower.

You've given me inspiration to pray for the strength to recommit myself to this goal.

Thanks.
I notice a similar relationship with sugar.
I've given up on her, but she sneaks back around every now and then 😁 definitely notice the difference with how the body feels when I go overboard with the sugar (which is real easy to do, for me)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sugar is a killer.
It is cancer's food.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Sugar is everywhere. I seem to do OK at avoiding it through the day, but crave it in the evenings. It does not help that I actually get paid to bake cookies for all of the crews every Friday!

We are working hard to eliminate bad foods and growing our own healthy foods. A work in progress

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Robin Hood wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:33 am Sugar is a killer.
It is cancer's food.
I just finished reading two studies that align with this. Cancer feeds off of glucose. Why add extra food sources via processed sugars?

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Dr. Eric Berg is one of our go-to's for health issues on YT. The only sugar we have is for hummingbirds. Costco has Monkfruit mixed with Erythritol. Works fine, same granular crunch or can be powdered in blender. Not quite as yummy as sugar, but Sugar Bad.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Momma J wrote: December 8th, 2022, 10:56 am
It is cancer's food.
I just finished reading two studies that align with this. Cancer feeds off of glucose. Why add extra food sources via processed sugars?
Dr. Lustig made the case many moons ago, but Big Soda took away peoples freedom to pass local sugar taxes. The media won’t say boo for fear of losing massive advertising dollars.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

NowWhat wrote: December 8th, 2022, 2:58 pm Dr. Eric Berg is one of our go-to's for health issues on YT. The only sugar we have is for hummingbirds. Costco has Monkfruit mixed with Erythritol. Works fine, same granular crunch or can be powdered in blender. Not quite as yummy as sugar, but Sugar Bad.
Erythritol causes digestive issues ranging from gas and bloating to diarrhea depending on the individual.

IMO The only thing worse for our body than sugar is unnatural sugar forms.
For some reason, nature's sugar bowl - fruit also adds vitamins and other helpful nutrients that can fight many things that ail the body.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

True, too much erythritol gives me digestive issues, so I don't eat it in excess, and it's fine. We're keto, low carb, so we mostly eat berries for fruit (low glycemic index). But I really like sweets, and this works for us. Beats the heck out of aspartame or sugar. Once I was eating Costco's coconut chocolate covered almonds, and I swear, I felt like, "This is truth. This is what my body wants and needs. I must always have these." I can't say I threw them out, but I quit buying sugar stuff. I cannot be trusted around sugar--highly addictive, and cancer loves it. I've even found in the past that a sugar blitz -- oh, I don't know, say, a Relief Society gathering -- can result in me becoming sick with a cold or whatever a day or two later.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

""Benjamin Delessert found a way to prepare the lowly Babylonian beet into a new kind of sugar loaf at Plessy in 1812. Napoleon awarded him the Legion of Honour. Napoleon ordered sugar beets planted everywhere in France, an imperial factory was established for refining, scholarships were granted to schools for sugar beet crafts; 500 licences were created for sugar refineries. By the very next year, Napoleon had achieved the herculean feat of producing eight million pounds of sugar from homegrown beets. When Napoleonic armies set out for Moscow, their sugar rations were insured. Like the Moors before them, they were turned back while traveling north. The mighty French army, in the unaccustomed climate, had met their match and more, including the armies of a backward people who had not yet accustomed themselves to sugar in their tea." (page 38)
"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Blues

"Christopher Columbus and the Sugar Industry When Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean in 1492 not only did he give birth to the future of the united state politically. He also introduced one of the top marketing industries in United States history, sugar The sugar industry had such a large impact on the United States economy. ..
"
"Christopher Columbus" sugar introduction
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Christophe ... =h_&ia=web

"Sugar: Not as Innocent as It Seems
The strategies employed by the sugar industry were indeed impressive. They were matched in sophistication by the efforts put forth by tobacco industries when they came under scrutiny.

Back in 1965, a secretly funded scientific review was released that downplayed all evidence linking sugar to unhealthy blood fat levels. Things were not as sweet as they seemed, because the sugar industry was the one who provided the funds. And they also, hid the results.
Sugar Makes Your Organs Get Fat: The intake of sugar causes your liver to store fat more efficiently. This usually means fat gets stored in some unusual places, and over time globules of fat can develop around your liver.

This can lead to a condition known as nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. The best way to avoid this is to avoid drinks that contain a lot of sugar including supposedly healthy smoothies.
"
https://1md.org/article/sugar-conspirac ... ecrets-1md
:arrow:

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

It is cancer's food.
as cancer is a parasite on the body, so is all the unhealthy bacteria and fungus such as the very common candida . They directly feed on sugar in the gut. These cause many many problems including neurological. (negative state of mind). Also, soreness, muscle pain, inflammation, fatigue....etc etc.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Along time ago I found out that when a person eats sugar, it sends a signal to your body to save all the food you eat and turn it into fat. Of course the language was much more complicated than that...but basically eating sugar turns on your fat cells to save everything......of course I was very body conscious at this time and an emotional eater, always looking for the holy grail of how to not get fat and be super skinny while eating badly, exercising spoadically and having high anxiety over all of it......as i write that i see how foolish my philosophy really was.....lol....those days are long gone BTW....anyways I started eating whole foods like fruits, veges, and good protein......cutting out dairy, bread, Salt, anything processed and lo and behold my weight which seemed to fluctuate became more stable.....which caused my emotional eating to level out, which helped with my moodiness, which stopped the cravings for sugar that told my body to plump up....and the vicious cycle was broken....I have been off sugar for years at a time....felt great and have been very healthy.....once in a while though I do eat a sweet dessert or have bread and things can go sideways very fast as I really like it and want more of it....i find fruit smoothies in the morning seem to satiate my sweet tooth...i like kiwis, pineapple, mangos (which really are the bomb if they are ripe) and once in awhile a banana or apple....then the whole day seems to be off to a good start and I really can leave all the good tasting bad food alone and have no desire for it. Of course I have good energy and feel good when I'm off sugar.....the challenge is to get off sugar and stay off long enough to feel good without it...sugar is a mind altering drug....anyone who can get off sugar for a week even will notice how much better it is...the new year approaches and I always start it sugar free....sometimes I've even gotten thru christmas sugar free but I'm not sure I will this year....lol...maybe though.....i even gave up tooth paste for baking soda just so I don't taste sugar while brushing my teeth night and morning.....i gotta tell ya my teeth are good, no problems and I noticed it's easier to eat better....kinda wierd but works for me....when I say I'm off sugar....I'm only eating naturally sweet fruits and absolutely no processed sugar in any form. It really isn't hard to stay away from sugar once you find out you feel really great without it.....!

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

mudflap wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:12 am
I read something that said sugar inhibits your body's ability to fight infections - it displaces magnesium by like 4:1, which makes you more susceptible to infections. magnesium also protects your body from diabetes.

Sugar inhibits the body’s ability to detoxify. Magnesium is key for detoxifying so two strikes against sugar right there. Sugar also feeds parasites. Three strikes, sugar is out!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

madvin wrote: December 10th, 2022, 12:32 pm
mudflap wrote: December 8th, 2022, 9:12 am

Sugar inhibits the body’s ability to detoxify. Magnesium is key for detoxifying so two strikes against sugar right there. Sugar also feeds parasites. Three strikes, sugar is out!
Big Soda bought the umpire, so nope not the case.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

I still have cravings from time to time, but one week in and it is so much easier to say no.

My mental acuity has improved significantly. That alone is encouraging me to continue.

My energy levels have also increased.

I no longer CRAVE food all day long!

I am not incorporating a Keto diet format as it is too stringent for our lifestyle. We are eating all fruits and veggies that our bodies can tolerate. Cutting back on (but not eliminating) meat. Breads are still consumed but I am baking rather than buying so that we can limit chemicals. We do eat dairy.

And when I need a sweetener, we use raw honey. But this is very seldom... I use it sparingly when I cook fresh cranberries, opting to add more sweetness with sliced apples, and a couple fresh squeezed oranges to the pot.

Easing into a healthier lifestyle and feeling the benefits!

As for toothpaste - I began making my own toothpaste a few years back and either use it or simply use baking soda. Occasionally I rinse with hydrogen peroxide.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Sugar…. Delicious to the taste…. and very desirable

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

JK4Woods wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:54 am Sugar…. Delicious to the taste…. and very desirable
My 85-year-old dad still eats lots of sugar and is very healthy... cookies, candy, danishes.... he buys them all in bulk at Cosco. He is very thin and still very active.

I am not sure why I am instructed to not eat sugar, but I can attest to a much clearer mind.

Which is to say that we are each given personal guidance. What is meant for me may very well not be the best for another.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

What about maple syrup?
Use honey also....
Also addicted to moms homemade goodies...
But yes, sugar is a drug.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

simpleton wrote: December 12th, 2022, 6:23 am What about maple syrup?
Use honey also....
Also addicted to moms homemade goodies...
But yes, sugar is a drug.
I have been on an anti-inflammatory diet, and the most strict one that I have found says that maple syrup and raw honey are both good for you as far as being anti-inflammatory. Of course if the sweet taste leads you directly to the candy jar, that’s another story.