Was the early earth encased in an outer shell of water?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Was the early earth encased in an outer shell of water?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

What is the average depth of the oceans?
https://chat.openai.com/chat wrote: The average depth of the oceans is approximately 12,080 feet (3,680 meters). This measurement is based on the average depth of the world's five ocean basins: the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Southern, and Arctic Oceans. The average depth of each individual ocean varies, with the deepest being the Pacific Ocean at an average depth of 14,080 feet (4,280 meters).
Was the early earth encased with in an outer shell of water?
https://chat.openai.com/chat wrote: There is no evidence that the early Earth was encased in an outer shell of water. In fact, most scientists believe that the early Earth was a very hot and dry place, with no liquid water on its surface. It is thought that the first oceans formed on Earth around 3.8 billion years ago, after the planet had cooled down enough to allow water to exist in liquid form. Prior to that time, the surface of the Earth was likely too hot and hostile for liquid water to exist.
Where did the ocean waters come from?
https://chat.openai.com/chat wrote:
The oceans on Earth are thought to have formed through a process called hydration, which occurs when water vapor in the atmosphere condenses and falls to the surface of the planet as rain. Over time, this rain would have collected in low-lying areas, eventually forming the oceans we know today.
It is also possible that some of the water in the oceans came from comets or other celestial bodies that struck the Earth in its early history. These objects would have brought water with them when they collided with the planet, and this water could have contributed to the formation of the oceans.
However, the exact origin of the water in the oceans is still a topic of debate among scientists, and more research is needed to fully understand the processes that led to the formation of the oceans on Earth
Waters above the firmament. 8-)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Was the early earth encased in an outer shell of water?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

There wouldn’t be any water on a planet with a temperature higher than the boiling point of water. So the oceans would exist as a ginormous steam cloud. The steam would condense beginning on the outer surface. The condensed water being more dense would have sufficient gravity to attract more water resulting in said shell. After many years the shell collapses and causes the great flood.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I think the water above the firmament is a reference to rain. The sky is also blue because of the refractive index of water.

Whatever one's view of the world, it is clear we are surrounded by vast amounts of water (no pun intended). Apart from the oceans, there is water locked away in rocks beneath us at various depths and quantities. If the rock of the world was all smoothed out, we'd all be deep underwater. You could place the Himalayas, Andes and Rockies into the oceans with room to spare.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Yes, I think it was.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

I understand it is still encased in water. Or rather a plasma like substance. The main dome is made of this substance in a crystallized/solid form. Water and clouds are less solid forms of that plasma.

Pseudonym
captain of 100

Post by Pseudonym »

Water on earth is problematic – a conundrum wrapped in an enema. I would suggest a Google search of “Where did the water on earth come from”. This science is currently in such an evolution that I would suggest that the more recent answers be considered the most accurate. Especially pay attention to information within a year or even within a few months.

As to an outer shell – there are two possibilities. Some perhaps from consideration of being from the Kuiper Belt as the outer shell. The other from considerations of solar wind colliding with a shell. But both have their own problems. The building blocks of water are very common throughout space (including stars and stardust) but how we got ours may involve a number of sources – perhaps even beyond our solar system (which is also problematic).

I am of the mind that the more we learn of religion, creation and science the more we learn that we do not know much of anything. This means the more someone holds on to old(or unchanging) ideas - the more likely they will have to rely on fuzzy logic.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Pseudonym wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:20 am Water on earth is problematic – a conundrum wrapped in an enema.
Sounds tricky! (or did you mean "enigma"?)

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

You may find chapter 9 of The First Book of Adam & Eve interesting (below). At this point Adam and Eve had been expelled from the Garden but they were still able to ascend to the gates of the Garden, although these were guarded by Cherubim with flaming swords. It appears that Adam and Eve's change to their mortal garments was not instant. The Cave of Treasures where Adam and Eve were banished is the earth on which we live.

Mike

CHAP. IX.

Water from the Tree of Life. Adam and Eve near drowning.

THEN Adam and Eve came out of the Cave of Treasures, and drew near to the garden gate, and there they stood to look at it, and wept for having come away from it.

2 And Adam and Eve went from before the gate of the garden to the southern side of it, and found there the water that watered the garden, from the root of the Tree of Life, and that parted itself from thence into four rivers over the earth.

3 Then they came and drew near to that water, and looked at it; and saw that it was the water that came forth from under the root of the Tree of Life in the garden.

4 And Adam wept and wailed, and smote upon his breast, for being severed from the garden; and said to Eve:--

5 "Why hast thou brought upon me, upon thyself, and upon our seed, so many of these plagues and punishments?"

6 And Eve said unto him, "What is it thou hast seen, to weep and to speak to me in this wise?"

7 And he said to Eve, "Seest thou not this water that was with us in the garden, that watered the trees of the garden, and flowed out thence?

8 "And we, when we were in

p. 10

the garden, did not care about it; but since we came to this strange land, we love it, and turn it to use for our body."

9 But when Eve heard these words from him, she wept; and from the soreness of their weeping, they fell into that water; and would have put an end to themselves in it, so as never again to return and behold the creation; for when they looked upon the work of creation, they felt they must put an end to themselves.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I should have included chaper 10. Here it is.

Mike

CHAP. X.

Their bodies need water after they leave the Garden.

THEN God, merciful and gracious, looked upon them thus lying in the water, and nigh unto death, and sent an angel, who brought them out of the water, and laid them on the seashore as dead.

2 Then the angel went up to God, was welcome, and said, "O God, Thy creatures have breathed their last."

3 Then God sent His Word unto Adam and Eve, who raised them from their death.

4 And Adam said, after he was raised, "O God, while we were in the garden we did not require, or care for this water; but since we came to this land we cannot do without it."

5 Then God said to Adam, "While thou wast under My command and wast a bright angel, thou knewest not this water.

6 "But after that thou hast transgressed My commandment, thou canst not do without water, wherein to wash thy body and make it grow; for it is now like that of beasts, and is in want of water."

7 When Adam and Eve heard these words from God, they wept a bitter cry; and Adam entreated God to let him return into the garden, and look at it a second time.

8 But God said unto Adam, "I have made thee a promise; when that promise is fulfilled, I will bring thee back into the garden, thee and thy righteous seed."

9 And God ceased to commune with Adam.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

an outer shell of water?

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Robin Hood wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:18 am Yes, I think it was.
openai.com

Today’s Answer
The early Earth likely did not have an outer shell of water. The Earth's early atmosphere was probably composed mostly of gases such as methane, ammonia, and water vapor, but it is not thought to have had a significant amount of liquid water on its surface. It is possible that the Earth's early oceans formed later, as a result of volcanic activity and the release of water from the planet's interior. However, this is still a topic of scientific debate and more research is needed to fully understand the conditions on the early Earth.

Today’s Feedback
There wouldn’t be any water on a planet with a temperature higher than the boiling point of water. So the oceans would exist as a ginormous steam cloud. The steam would condense beginning on the outer surface. The condensed water being more dense would have sufficient gravity to attract more water resulting in said shell. After many years the shell collapses and causes the great flood.

Today’s Retry
It is thought that the early Earth may have had a steamy atmosphere and oceans of water on its surface. However, it is not clear if there was an "outer shell" of water surrounding the Earth. The conditions on the early Earth were very different from those of today, and much of what we know about this time comes from studying geological evidence and computer simulations. It's also important to note that our understanding of the early Earth is constantly evolving as new evidence and theories emerge.

It's catching on. :lol:

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Interesting.

"Back in 2011, scientists found the oldest and biggest water reservoir to ever exist. Get this, it’s just floating through space. It’s equal to 140 trillion times all the water in oceans on Earth. We can’t really wrap our heads around how much water this truly is. It was found around a large black hole that is currently pulling in matter and giving off huge amounts of energy."

(related articles)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bUrwtjNM2s
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/fe ... 10722.html
https://roboticsandautomationnews.com/2 ... ble/39771/

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

So, I do believe that the earth was at one time covered in a thick moist atmosphere. I don't thing we are talking about the same timelines as the bible however. Sees the bible and man on the earth is relatively recent (thousands or at best tens of thousands of years) while the history of water is in years of Billions.

but, if we go back to the origin of man and they dividing of the firmament, it does seem that some where in the creation the atmosphere is separated from the oceans. I firmly adhere to the idea that there was much moisture in the atmosphere to block out radiation and help things live much longer (like 1000 years), also it is said it never rained before the flood but a dew went up every day, seems to map to a blanket of water in the atmosphere. Not to mention the complex discussion of Noah's deluge (notice I avoided the seemingly erroneous word "flood") where waters from above and below were responsible. It is only opinion but it seems that something triggered the water out of the atmosphere at the time of the flood, killing much, radiating the earth by the weak atmosphere and reducing mans life to 70 years. Just food for thought.

BTW, I don't see any trustworthy evidence of special circumstances pre-deluge, but that is me.