Polygamous Prophet Arrested

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Re: Polygamous Prophet Arrested

Post by Bronco73idi »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:47 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:40 pm Do you not believe in the Bible either?
The Bible never authorizes Polygamy, and you know it or else you would have cited the verses.

Giving someone polygamizes wives that are already polygamous wives is simply God making sure they are taken care of. Besides, God gives us the good and the evil, by his own words.

The practice originated from Lamech, a secret combination murderer.
Peter or the lord did not get rid of it, are they weaker then Jacob?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:25 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:59 pm Jacob 2 is clear that the Lord can make allowances for it.
Bull Shi!!

Jacob categorically and uniformly condemns that practice. Who are relying on a precepts of men understanding of verse 30. Follow the word links in that verse and you see how they are being used. It has been explained here countless times.
Bull Shi!! all you want. Read Jacob:

30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.

Like I said, the only time when it is allowed is when the Lord commands it. Which is extremely rare. And believe me, I have a hard time saying that.

And I know that people like to use the phrase "raise up seed" in conjunction with Lehi's exodus from Jerusalem, but that doesn't match with the counsel given by the Lord in the subsequent verse about one man and one woman. The Lord was talking about polygamy.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

Jacob 2: The Saga Continues

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things.
31 For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands.

Could another intepretation of this also be that if he raised up a righteous people unto himself they would need to keep the commandments? Or inotherwords the very things he said in the prior 3 verses and then repeats in the subsequent verses to further hammer home how damaging activity outside of one spouse had as effect on the people involved?

I am not totally convinced the daughters of his people would have suddently stopped mourning knowing the Lord had authorized it. But it is really all up to the punctuation of the original Book of Mormon which has since been revised whereas there were many "grammtical errors" that needed fixed from the 1830 edition.

Seems an entire change of lifestyle and doctrine is hanging on a couple of commas and a semi-colon.
Last edited by Letfreedumbring on December 5th, 2022, 6:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

As I noted above, the Lord rarely commands it. I can only find a few instances in the OT, and there are some writings that talk about Jewish tradition that allows for a man to take his brother's widow to wife and to raise up a righteous seed unto his brother, but he is not sealed to her. This is done as an act of charity to his brother.

Modern polygamy is an abomination.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm Modern polygamy is an abomination.
It’s not, otherwise God would be a changing God. Things aren’t abominable one day, and then not abominable the next.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:47 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:40 pm Do you not believe in the Bible either?
The Bible never authorizes Polygamy
I do love pulling this one out whenever people make such outrageous and uneducated claims such as that:

2 Samuel 12
8 And I gave thee thy master’s house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Either “I gave you your wives and would have given you more” means just that or my English is totally broken.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Follow_God_Not_Man wrote: December 5th, 2022, 11:22 am The dynastic sealings that Joseph was doing were never about sex.
This whole “dynastic sealings” business does make me chuckle. This concept stems from an article written about 15-20 years ago, and has absolutely no evidence behind it whatsoever.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:35 pm . . . just because he’s a polygamist.
Pretty much sums up every polygamy-related situation ever. Polygamists are hated and cast out and persecuted for doing nothing except live their religion (which should give us a pretty good idea of whether it’s Godly or not—hint: it is).

But God is about to perform a complete reversal of circumstances. He’s about to exalt the polygamists, and damn the haters.

Not too long now. I have to admit I’m quite excited for this great vindication which is fast on the way.

FoundMyEden
captain of 1,000

Post by FoundMyEden »

Luke wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:11 pm
Pretty much sums up every polygamy-related situation ever. Polygamists are hated and cast out and persecuted for doing nothing except live their religion (which should give us a pretty good idea of whether it’s Godly or not—hint: it is).

But God is about to perform a complete reversal of circumstances. He’s about to exalt the polygamists, and damn the haters.

Not too long now. I have to admit I’m quite excited for this great vindication which is fast on the way.
They’re not hated where I come from. I just don’t want to be one.

Why so much hate and vindication towards the heterosexual’s? We seem to have more children than the polygamists do.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

FoundMyEden wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:29 pm

Why so much hate and vindication towards the heterosexual’s? We seem to have more children than the polygamists do.
The science proves that monogamy is more fruitful for child bearing.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

I don’t disagree with you that the anti-polygamist will be brought down to repentance or be damned but I don’t believe it’s fast on its way. From my witness on the subject it will be brought back by women and after blood flowing through the streets.

I personally think the LDS church has Celsus’s treatise The True Word. That is why they won’t dare remove D&C 132. What do you think?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Luke wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:00 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm Modern polygamy is an abomination.
It’s not, otherwise God would be a changing God. Things aren’t abominable one day, and then not abominable the next.
I'm honestly shocked at how you interpret Jacob 2. The Lord himself said that it is only ok when He commands it. He did no such thing in our dispensation. And He sets forth the eternal pattern of monogamy in Jacob 2 as well.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

tmac wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:35 pm The perpetual hot button issue, that is always certain to draw a big and emotional response.

Although the Constitution that so many claim to believe in requires a presumption of innocence until proven guilty, even this highly biased and inflammatory hit piece admits that: Bateman has not yet been charged with any sex-related crime.

So, he’s been jailed for the awful crime of hauling kids around in a trailer, charged with the serious federal crime of encouraging deletion of social media accounts, and accused of every other sexual atrocity known to man, but has not yet been charged with anything in that regard.

Talk about making mountains out of molehills, just because he’s a polygamist.

But how quick so many are to judge.

What a bunch of hypocrites.

And, how in the He!! can this particular incident even be considered legitimate news, let alone a “Gospel Discussion”?

Oh, here’s a hit piece about a polygamist. That isn’t just hot news, it’s a gospel discussion!

LDSFFers are really stooping to this level?

You might look a little closer at that Constitution. It does not provide for a presumption of innocence.

Not specifically. But you could say it's basic to the concept of a fair trial.

Or that it's a basic part of due process.

But due process has been held to be notice, and an opportunity to be heard.

But remember: What is a presumption? A fiction.
dc

Oh, this is supposed to be about polygamy.

Homosexuality is condemned in the bible.

Polygamy is chronicled.

I think this Bateman mentioned above comes along and gives polygamy a bad name.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Like I said, the only time when it is allowed is when the Lord commands it. Which is extremely rare. And believe me, I have a hard time saying that.

And I know that people like to use the phrase "raise up seed" in conjunction with Lehi's exodus from Jerusalem, but that doesn't match with the counsel given by the Lord in the subsequent verse about one man and one woman. The Lord was talking about polygamy.
It's a perfect match. The Lord is saying that if he doesn't command his people monogamy they will resort to these abominations, and that's why he commands them.

The command to raise up seed was already given in 1 Nephi 7:1

And now I would that ye might know, that after my father, Lehi, had made an end of prophesying concerning his seed, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto him again, saying that it was not meet for him, Lehi, that he should take his family into the wilderness alone; but that his sons should take daughters to wife, that they might raise up seed unto the Lord in the land of promise.

2 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded him that...

You can read for yourself why the command was given, right? To raise up seed.

You can also word link "these things" in verse 30 to how it's used again in verse 34.

34 And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.

Otherwise, they hearken unto what things? The things they ought not to have done.

So verse 30, in context, reads: For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people monogamy; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things that they ought not to have done.

Also, there is never a time when the Lord does not want to raise up seed to himself. He never wants to raise up seed to anyone else.

There are plenty more word links that show Jacob is being perfectly consistent. There is also a very well written article covering this verse in depth. I'll try to find it.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

Shawn Henry wrote: December 5th, 2022, 4:38 pm
Mindfields wrote: December 5th, 2022, 3:52 pm I don't believe in an inerrant Bible. Mormon scripture isn't much better.
What is left for your foundation?
Verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and ye know the things that ye must do in my church; for the works which ye have seen me do that shall ye also do; for that which ye have seen me do even that shall ye do.” (3 Nephi 27)
• Repent.
• Baptism of water.
• Reception of Holy Ghost.
• Baptism of Fire. (Then, and only then, are you on the right path. XR 2 Nephi 31)
• Love God and fellow man.
• Endure to the end.

The Book of Mormon contains the Gospel of Jesus Christ along with other nonsense e.g. ship building, temple building, historically troublesome, anachronisms. The D&C and the Pearl of Great Price are Dodgey at best with parts of it being outright fraudulent and it's not to be trusted in my opinion.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Not sure “heterosexual” is the right word to use. I’m pretty sure that Abraham and David were heterosexuals.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

darknesstolight wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:43 pm

What science? A man with only one wife can’t have any more than around 10-15 children on average. A man with many wives can have many, many more.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Shawn Henry wrote: December 6th, 2022, 2:11 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:17 pm

It's a perfect match. The Lord is saying that if he doesn't command his people monogamy they will resort to these abominations, and that's why he commands them.

The command to raise up seed was already given in 1 Nephi 7:1

And now I would that ye might know, that after my father, Lehi, had made an end of prophesying concerning his seed, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto him again, saying that it was not meet for him, Lehi, that he should take his family into the wilderness alone; but that his sons should take daughters to wife, that they might raise up seed unto the Lord in the land of promise.

2 And it came to pass that the Lord commanded him that...

You can read for yourself why the command was given, right? To raise up seed.

You can also word link "these things" in verse 30 to how it's used again in verse 34.

34 And now behold, my brethren, ye know that these commandments were given to our father, Lehi; wherefore, ye have known them before; and ye have come unto great condemnation; for ye have done these things which ye ought not to have done.

Otherwise, they hearken unto what things? The things they ought not to have done.

So verse 30, in context, reads: For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people monogamy; otherwise they shall hearken unto these things that they ought not to have done.

Also, there is never a time when the Lord does not want to raise up seed to himself. He never wants to raise up seed to anyone else.

There are plenty more word links that show Jacob is being perfectly consistent. There is also a very well written article covering this verse in depth. I'll try to find it.
Sorry man, but Jacob 2 isn't that complex.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Luke wrote: December 6th, 2022, 6:43 am
darknesstolight wrote: December 5th, 2022, 7:43 pm

What science? A man with only one wife can’t have any more than around 10-15 children on average. A man with many wives can have many, many more.
"The anthropological record indicates that approximately 85 per cent of human societies have permitted men to have more than one wife (polygynous marriage), and both empirical and evolutionary considerations suggest that large absolute differences in wealth should favour more polygynous marriages. Yet, monogamous marriage has spread across Europe, and more recently across the globe, even as absolute wealth differences have expanded. Here, we develop and explore the hypothesis that the norms and institutions that compose the modern package of monogamous marriage have been favoured by cultural evolution because of their group-beneficial effects—promoting success in inter-group competition. In suppressing intrasexual competition and reducing the size of the pool of unmarried men, normative monogamy reduces crime rates, including rape, murder, assault, robbery and fraud, as well as decreasing personal abuses. By assuaging the competition for younger brides, normative monogamy decreases (i) the spousal age gap, (ii) fertility, and (iii) gender inequality. By shifting male efforts from seeking wives to paternal investment, normative monogamy increases savings, child investment and economic productivity. By increasing the relatedness within households, normative monogamy reduces intra-household conflict, leading to lower rates of child neglect, abuse, accidental death and homicide. These predictions are tested using converging lines of evidence from across the human sciences."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3260845/

"Is polygamy healthy for kids?
The review found more mental health problems, social problems and lower academic achievement for children and adolescents from polygynous than monogamous families. Similarities between children and adolescents from polygynous and monogamous families included self-esteem, anxiety and depression scores."

https://mainedivorcelawblog.com/is-poly ... -monogamy/

Open AI: "Some research has suggested that children in polygamous families may be at an increased risk of abuse and other negative outcomes, compared to children in monogamous families. This is because polygamous families often have complex family structures and power dynamics, which can create an environment in which children may be more vulnerable to abuse. Additionally, polygamy is illegal in many countries, and families practicing polygamy may be more likely to experience social isolation, financial instability, and other stressors that can increase the risk of child abuse. It is important to note, however, that child abuse can occur in any family, regardless of the family's structure or relationship status."

And

"The mountain of data on family structure reveals children fare best in the home of their married mother and father. For overall child well-being, any two (or five) will not do."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/15/wh ... oyfriends/

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Polygamy is natural man. In only the last 1000 years have humans in general practiced monogamy as a social norm.

The ANIMAL in us wants to spread are genes all over the place and to screw and to have all sorts of sexual partners. That's the natural man.

Monogamy is in direct opposition to the ANIMAL MAN the natural man has a hard time with monogamy and hence the promiscuity and large rates of adultery in monogamous relationships.

It's hard to obey God's commandment to have but one wife only and no concubines at all. Natural man hates it.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

darknesstolight wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:19 am Polygamy is natural man. In only the last 1000 years have humans in general practiced monogamy as a social norm.

The ANIMAL in us wants to spread are genes all over the place and to screw and to have all sorts of sexual partners. That's the natural man.

Monogamy is in direct opposition to the ANIMAL MAN the natural man has a hard time with monogamy and hence the promiscuity and large rates of adultery in monogamous relationships.

It's hard to obey God's commandment to have but one wife only and no concubines at all. Natural man hates it.

Abraham to 1100AD is 1000 years?

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Bronco73idi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:39 am
darknesstolight wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:19 am Polygamy is natural man. In only the last 1000 years have humans in general practiced monogamy as a social norm.

I love you as a brother but you need to have some humility before I engage with you further. I have provided all the information you need to adjust your position. The information I provided is but a start. Put aside your biases and prejudices and look at the studies. Understanding that humans have been on this planet for at least 200000 years and polygamy has been the way of man almost exclusively. Monkeys and most all mammals are polygamist.

Monogamy is the anomaly here. It's the strange work that seems to fly in the face of common sense. That's because monogamy is from God the Father and polygamy is from Earth, the flesh. Like the thoroughly studied subject from 2012 notes, the puzzle of monogamy.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

darknesstolight wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:48 am
Bronco73idi wrote: December 6th, 2022, 8:39 am

I love you as a brother but you need to have some humility before I engage with you further. I have provided all the information you need to adjust your position. The information I provided is but a start. Put aside your biases and prejudices and look at the studies. Understanding that humans have been on this planet for at least 200000 years and polygamy has been the way of man almost exclusively. Monkeys and most all mammals are polygamist.

Monogamy is the anomaly here. It's the strange work that seems to fly in the face of common sense. That's because monogamy is from God the Father and polygamy is from Earth, the flesh. Like the thoroughly studied subject from 2012 notes, the puzzle of monogamy.

I do find your mockery of mike amusing.

The ones who could afford polygamy in Egypt indulged in it. We know Roman and Greeks mocked it as uncivilized.

You say it’s from God, ie God of Abraham, Biblical God, but the evidence doesn’t fit that for post flood world.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

"Approximately 85 per cent of societies in the anthropological record permit men to marry multiple wives [1]. Taking wives is always positively associated with status, wealth or nobility [2], even among highly egalitarian foraging societies [3]. After the origins of agriculture, as human societies grew in size, complexity and inequality, levels of polygynous marriage intensified, reaching extremes in the earliest empires whose rulers assembled immense harems [4,5]. Today, however, with absolute wealth gaps greater than any seen in human history, monogamous marriage is both normative and legally enforced in most of the world's highly developed countries. While the roots of the package of norms and institutions that constitute modern marriage can be traced back to classical Greece and Rome [6,7], the global spread of this peculiar marriage system [6] has occurred only in recent centuries, as other societies sought to emulate the West, with laws prohibiting polygyny arriving in 1880 in Japan, 1953 in China, 1955 in India and 1963 in Nepal. Given its historical rarity and apparent ill-fit with much of our evolved psychology, why has this marriage package spread so successfully? Historically, the emergence of monogamous marriage is particularly puzzling since the very men who most benefit from polygynous marriage—wealthy aristocrats—are often those most influential in setting norms and shaping laws. Yet, here we are."

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

darknesstolight wrote: December 6th, 2022, 9:02 am "Approximately 85 per cent of societies in the anthropological record permit men to marry multiple wives [1]. Taking wives is always positively associated with status, wealth or nobility [2], even among highly egalitarian foraging societies [3]. After the origins of agriculture, as human societies grew in size, complexity and inequality, levels of polygynous marriage intensified, reaching extremes in the earliest empires whose rulers assembled immense harems [4,5]. Today, however, with absolute wealth gaps greater than any seen in human history, monogamous marriage is both normative and legally enforced in most of the world's highly developed countries. While the roots of the package of norms and institutions that constitute modern marriage can be traced back to classical Greece and Rome [6,7], the global spread of this peculiar marriage system [6] has occurred only in recent centuries, as other societies sought to emulate the West, with laws prohibiting polygyny arriving in 1880 in Japan, 1953 in China, 1955 in India and 1963 in Nepal. Given its historical rarity and apparent ill-fit with much of our evolved psychology, why has this marriage package spread so successfully? Historically, the emergence of monogamous marriage is particularly puzzling since the very men who most benefit from polygynous marriage—wealthy aristocrats—are often those most influential in setting norms and shaping laws. Yet, here we are."

As a brother in Christ, I have no problem that you accept not to be polygamist. To damn others opinion of it based on the leaving out of a word to call it a grievous sin is why I’m in this conversation.

The Native Americans were polygamist, another way we know that the Mayans and Central American natives are not from Lehi’s seed.

https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/w ... throrecsca

I was talking about the civilized known world. All you are proven is atheist right. The god of Abraham is just another version of the Egyptian gods.

From Abraham to Paul, Polygamy was of their religion.

Let’s look at words/actions = sin

Sex with wife when bleeding = abomination

Men having sex with men (eunuchs) = abomination

Women having sex with women…… nothing

Married Man having sex with non married women = concubines = abomination

Married woman having sex with another man = adultery

Married man putting away his wife = adultery
Why is this worse then concubines?

It’s almost like marriage is like our savior’s relationship with us. He is the bridegroom and we are the bride. We need a bride to become like him.

Hmmmm, is this act of marriage deeper then what we see?

Go ahead and fix my errors, I’m here to learn also.