The 🌙 proves that the earth 🌎 is round

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

The 🌙 proves that the earth 🌎 is round

Post by BeNotDeceived »

How else do you explain the appearance of a quarter moon?

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Re: The 🌙 proves that the earth 🌎 is round

Post by Subcomandante »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:16 pm How else do you explain the appearance of a quarter moon?
A good question. But I wouldn't limit it to the moon.

Look at how the moon appears from the United States, Spain, and Turkey on one side, and in Uruguay, South Africa, and Australia on the other. You will notice a very different orientation.

Also look at the constellations of the stars. Orion is rising as are the traditional winter constellations here. If Niemand were to go outside as I am typing this, he would probably see Orion and Sirius nearly due south if not slightly west of south. If we had an LDSFF member out in Yekaterinburg, he would probably note Orion to the southwest and Leo in the southeast.

These are all proofs of a rotating, spherical earth.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Subcomandante wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:20 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:16 pm How else do you explain the appearance of a quarter moon?

Look at how the moon appears from the United States, Spain, and Turkey on one side, and in Uruguay, South Africa, and Australia on the other. You will notice a very different orientation.

Also look at the constellations of the stars. Orion is rising as are the traditional winter constellations here. If Niemand were to go outside as I am typing this, he would probably see Orion and Sirius nearly due south if not slightly west of south. If we had an LDSFF member out in Yekaterinburg, he would probably note Orion to the southwest and Leo in the southeast.

Actually, the face of the moon rotates all night. It was filmed and the video is in the big Flat Earth thread. You can find it there.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

How is that a proof of a spherical earth?

SempiternalHarbinger
captain of 1,000

Post by SempiternalHarbinger »

Flat earth points often seem to be:
-Curvature of the earth calculations are not accurate based on building heights measured at distance.
-No actual photos of the earth globe exist beyond composites or generated images.
-bottoms of clouds are never visible as they traverse the sky ( I know that one is silly but just another point they make).

1. Curvature - See "Things Disappearing Over the Horizon" section of this article, esp. a photograph of CN Tower, Toronto.
https://creation.com/refuting-flat-eart ... ical-earth

The shadow of the earth, when cast on the moon during a lunar eclipse, is round... But note that lunar eclipses do not always happen when the moon is in the same position in the sky. If the earth were flat, the earth’s shadow would not have the same shape when the moon is directly overhead as it would when the moon is closer to the horizon. Since it is possible to observe multiple full and partial lunar eclipses during an average lifetime, this would not have been lost on any observant person, even in the distant past (note that this is assuming one model of a flat earth, the one where the sun and moon cross under the earth as they travel back to the east). Also, if the sun and moon were orbiting overhead, as in some recent flat earth models, then how could the earth ever get in between them to cast a shadow in the first place?
2. Amateur Rocketry refutes this claim completely (and there are plenty more vids of such non-NASA amateur rocket launches which clearly demonstrate a spherical earth)
3. Flat-bottomed Clouds are plentiful across the planet. Larger cumulonimbus storm clouds may also have flat tops, too ("anvil" clouds). I posted on different clouds not thinking anything about the flat earth.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flat+bo ... =560&dpr=3

On a side note, I have also personally experimented with an electrically charged 'Terella'(small metal ball) which strongly validates a globe earth by replicating the northern and southern lights.

Electrically charged 'Terella'(small metal ball) experiment...

Electricity is scalable. What happens when the sun's electric "Birkleand" currents hit earth?

I get that most flat earthers question the above photo, fine. The point is we also know most of the planets in the solar system also have northern and southern lights. This is not disputable.

"When the great truth accidentally revealed and experimentally confirmed is fully recognized, that this planet, with all its appalling immensity, is to electric currents virtually no more than a small metal ball and that by this fact many possibilities, each baffling imagination and of incalculable consequence, are rendered absolutely sure of accomplishment;[— "The Transmission of Electric Energy Without Wires," Nikola Tesla 1904

Aurora Forecast
http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

I appreciate the way many flat earthers think and I get the distrust in NASA and modern mainstream theoretical science. I so get it. I am just indifferent on this topic. The bigger issue I have is how flat earthers completely refuse to look at all the creation myths found in every ancient culture the world over. LDS flat earther sticks to only 3 (standard works) out of the hundreds which leads one in the completely wrong direction. It leads to all sorts of problems, their interpretations, and misapplications of sacred imagery in scriptures/prophecy (the language of the prophets) and ancient world mythology/cosmology (history of the solar system). The myths explain the symbols and the symbolism illuminates the myths. Flat earthers read the scriptures and believe only a flat earth can explain many sacred imagery and motifs in ancient history which couldn't be further from the truth. In other words, they have flipped the creation epoch upside-down where the original meaning is completely absent.

The heavens have drastically changed since ancient times. So to take our earth and current stars/heavens and apply them to ancient myths is the road to nowhere. It's a prime example of the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.
Last edited by SempiternalHarbinger on December 1st, 2022, 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

harakim wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:04 pm

math

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Or different simulators and sky projections in different regions. I caught them twice when they forgot to project the right moon phase over Utah and accidentally showed us two moons at a time for several days in a row before they realized.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 1st, 2022, 7:11 pm

Or different simulators and sky projections in different regions. I caught them twice when they forgot to project the right moon phase over Utah and accidentally showed us two moons at a time for several days in a row before they realized.
That is an astronomical phenomenon known as twilight. It happens literally everywhere in the world, and the sun rises at a different angle in Mexico (about 20 degrees off perpendicular) vs there in Utah (about 40 degrees off perpendicular).

Another proof of a round earth.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

SempiternalHarbinger wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:44 pm
Flat earth points often seem to be:
-Curvature of the earth calculations are not accurate based on building heights measured at distance.
-No actual photos of the earth globe exist beyond composites or generated images.
-bottoms of clouds are never visible as they traverse the sky ( I know that one is silly but just another point they make).

1. Curvature - See "Things Disappearing Over the Horizon" section of this article, esp. a photograph of CN Tower, Toronto.
https://creation.com/refuting-flat-eart ... ical-earth

The shadow of the earth, when cast on the moon during a lunar eclipse, is round... But note that lunar eclipses do not always happen when the moon is in the same position in the sky. If the earth were flat, the earth’s shadow would not have the same shape when the moon is directly overhead as it would when the moon is closer to the horizon. Since it is possible to observe multiple full and partial lunar eclipses during an average lifetime, this would not have been lost on any observant person, even in the distant past (note that this is assuming one model of a flat earth, the one where the sun and moon cross under the earth as they travel back to the east). Also, if the sun and moon were orbiting overhead, as in some recent flat earth models, then how could the earth ever get in between them to cast a shadow in the first place?
2. Amateur Rocketry refutes this claim completely (and there are plenty more vids of such non-NASA amateur rocket launches which clearly demonstrate a spherical earth)
3. Flat-bottomed Clouds are plentiful across the planet. Larger cumulonimbus storm clouds may also have flat tops, too ("anvil" clouds). I posted on different clouds not thinking anything about the flat earth.

On a side note, I have also personally experimented with an electrically charged 'Terella'(small metal ball) which strongly validates a globe earth by replicating the northern and southern lights.

Electrically charged 'Terella'(small metal ball) experiment...

Electricity is scalable. What happens when the sun's electric "Birkleand" currents hit earth?

I get that most flat earthers question the above photo, fine. The point is we also know most of the planets in the solar system also have northern and southern lights. This is not disputable.

"When the great truth accidentally revealed and experimentally confirmed is fully recognized, that this planet, with all its appalling immensity, is to electric currents virtually no more than a small metal ball and that by this fact many possibilities, each baffling imagination and of incalculable consequence, are rendered absolutely sure of accomplishment;[— "The Transmission of Electric Energy Without Wires," Nikola Tesla 1904

Aurora Forecast
http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

I appreciate the way many flat earthers think and I get the distrust in NASA and modern mainstream theoretical science. I so get it. I am just indifferent on this topic. The bigger issue I have is how flat earthers completely refuse to look at all the creation myths found in every ancient culture the world over. LDS flat earther sticks to only 3 (standard works) out of the hundreds which leads one in the completely wrong direction. It leads to all sorts of problems, their interpretations, and misapplications of sacred imagery in scriptures/prophecy (the language of the prophets) and ancient world mythology/cosmology (history of the solar system). The myths explain the symbols and the symbolism illuminates the myths. Flat earthers read the scriptures and believe only a flat earth can explain many sacred imagery and motifs in ancient history which couldn't be further from the truth. In other words, they have flipped the creation epoch upside-down where the original meaning is completely absent.

The heavens have drastically changed since ancient times. So to take our earth and current stars/heavens and apply them to ancient myths is the road to nowhere. It's a prime example of the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.
1. How would the Earth cast a shadow with a small and local sun? What, do you think we say the sun is 93 million miles away and shining behind a disc? Is that your notion of a flat earth model?

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Please go back to the original thread and look at the fish eye lens discussions. I’ve only watched 5.5 minutes of it and don’t have time for this. Already you can see the convex curve turn concave at several points whenever the horizon moves toward the centers of the screen. And the supposed Earth curve becomes quite exaggerated at the edges of the screen. Heavens, at 3:23 even the camera on the ground shows a curved telephone pole.

This is all covered in the original thread. Maybe we can merge these threads in one so people can catch up.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

You got me here. What do flat-bottomed clouds prove?

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Lastly, how do northern and southern lights require a globe? Are you saying they couldn’t happen within a snow globe?

And, as for our understanding of ancient explanations of the Creation, none of what you say sounds familiar. Can you provide a link?

It’s my understanding that our constellations are the same as ancient constellations. What changes are you referring to?

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

Sorry, it was probably rude to tell people to read the original thread without providing the link:

viewtopic.php?t=49528

In 78 pages, a lot of ground has been covered.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Allison wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:42 pm

Actually, the face of the moon rotates all night. It was filmed and the video is in the big Flat Earth thread. You can find it there.
This is absolutely NOT true. Anyone that has taken hundreds of pictures of the moon can tell you that if all of the pictures were taken from the same spot, that all images will be identical regardless of time. There are literally millions of people that know this for a fact.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

ransomme wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:44 pm
harakim wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:04 pm

math
I would be very interested to know why that is the case. If you can help me understand how that proves it's a spherical earth, I will mail you an amazon gift card for 25 dollars.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

ON_-FwTZfjA
vPrhQ8-fYe4
What about what you can observe directly by simply looking at the crescent shaped moon?

The new insight here for me is that a
round earth was evident anciently.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

In teaching Sunday school to the youth in our ward recently, we discussed solar eclipses and blood moons. I referred to prophecy in Joel 2, which was quoted to JS by Moroni. Important stuff as it relates to the Lord's 2nd Coming!

I have personally witnessed both - solar eclipses and a blood moon.

So Allison or someone - could you please explain to me how the "flat earth" can result in both solar eclipses and blood moons?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

That's what's called refraction. You can see it on a regular basis. Occasionally one can see a large ring around the Sun or Moon if there is light cloud, or sun dogs and moon dogs which tend to be just out to the side of the Sun and can sometimes be several Sun diameters away.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It's evidence, but not proof.
The flat earth believers have a plausible explanation.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

SempiternalHarbinger wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:44 pmI appreciate the way many flat earthers think and I get the distrust in NASA and modern mainstream theoretical science. I so get it. I am just indifferent on this topic. The bigger issue I have is how flat earthers completely refuse to look at all the creation myths found in every ancient culture the world over. LDS flat earther sticks to only 3 (standard works) out of the hundreds which leads one in the completely wrong direction. It leads to all sorts of problems, their interpretations, and misapplications of sacred imagery in scriptures/prophecy (the language of the prophets) and ancient world mythology/cosmology (history of the solar system). The myths explain the symbols and the symbolism illuminates the myths. Flat earthers read the scriptures and believe only a flat earth can explain many sacred imagery and motifs in ancient history which couldn't be further from the truth. In other words, they have flipped the creation epoch upside-down where the original meaning is completely absent.

Yes, this ^

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Niemand wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 5:31 am

That's what's called refraction. You can see it on a regular basis. Occasionally one can see a large ring around the Sun or Moon if there is light cloud, or sun dogs and moon dogs which tend to be just out to the side of the Sun and can sometimes be several Sun diameters away.
You must have Googled what NASA says. Since we all know they're a bunch of Nazi satanists who lied to us about the nature of our reality all the time and even admit that to us, I do my own research, and my own research says projectors! I can show you the equipment and hundreds of other images and videos giving them away, but I'm sure NASA will have an answer for those too 😂.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 9:42 am

You must have Googled what NASA says. Since we all know they're a bunch of Nazi satanists who lied to us about the nature of our reality all the time and even admit that to us, I do my own research, and my own research says projectors! I can show you the equipment and hundreds of other images and videos giving them away, but I'm sure NASA will have an answer for those too 😂.
I didn't use Google and am not interested in what your country's space agency says about it.

Sun dogs are a phenomenon which has been known of for centuries. I've seen them many times with my own eyes. They aren't very common but they're not exactly uncommon either. You need thin cloud in the sky for them to appear. You can get the same effect when the sun glints through waterfall spray or even that from a hose pipe.

People spend so much time indoors or in cities nowadays that they seem to be unaware of what goes on in nature. I'd understand if you were talking about ball lightning or will o' the wisp (spunkies) because those tend to be very rare but this is not an uncommon phenomenon.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Niemand wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:51 am

I didn't use Google and am not interested in what your country's space agency says about it.

Sun dogs are a phenomenon which has been known of for centuries. I've seen them many times with my own eyes. They aren't very common but they're not exactly uncommon either. You need thin cloud in the sky for them to appear. You can get the same effect when the sun glints through waterfall spray or even that from a hose pipe.

People spend so much time indoors or in cities nowadays that they seem to be unaware of what goes on in nature. I'd understand if you were talking about ball lightning or will o' the wisp (spunkies) because those tend to be very rare but this is not an uncommon phenomenon.
That's the third NASA (ALLLL the space agencies from all countries are just divisions of the same one) explanation I've seen on this thread for those videos, that didn't explain it - sun dogs, refraction, and twilight (from Subcomante). Sounds like all kinds of things being tossed out, but I have no idea how any of those would explain what's in that video and the joke we were watching here in Utah when it happened. That is NOT normal to see both a full, and a crescent moon, moving across the sky together, on the same night, at the same time, moving on an angle consistent with being projected from a stationary point below.

No sundog, no camera refraction, not twilight... something else.

At least China admits it :)

https://www.freethink.com/space/chinas-artificial-moon

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 3:09 pm
Niemand wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 11:51 am

That's the third NASA (ALLLL the space agencies from all countries are just divisions of the same one) explanation I've seen on this thread for those videos, that didn't explain it - sun dogs, refraction, and twilight (from Subcomante). Sounds like all kinds of things being tossed out, but I have no idea how any of those would explain what's in that video and the joke we were watching here in Utah when it happened. That is NOT normal to see both a full, and a crescent moon, moving across the sky together, on the same night, at the same time, moving on an angle consistent with being projected from a stationary point below.

No sundog, no camera refraction, not twilight... something else.

At least China admits it :)

https://www.freethink.com/space/chinas-artificial-moon
Now that I zoomed into the video, it becomes apparent that it is a reflection off of the camera. That is NOT a full moon that you see there but a crescent moon, waning, and that can be verified by the timestamp that is on the camera. The moon is overexposed, which is what you would expect to see in a shot like this. Twilight comes in shortly thereafter and the sun rises, also, with the reflections (albeit much brighter) on the camera.

You didn't see two moons. Nobody did. The angle of which the moon and the sun rise depends on your latitude, and I can tell you that the motion is significantly more perpendicular at my latitude (19ºN) than it is at yours (about 40ºN +/- 1 degree)

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

SempiternalHarbinger wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:44 pm The bigger issue I have is how flat earthers completely refuse to look at all the creation myths found in every ancient culture the world over. LDS flat earther sticks to only 3 (standard works) out of the hundreds which leads one in the completely wrong direction. It leads to all sorts of problems, their interpretations, and misapplications of sacred imagery in scriptures/prophecy (the language of the prophets) and ancient world mythology/cosmology (history of the solar system). The myths explain the symbols and the symbolism illuminates the myths. Flat earthers read the scriptures and believe only a flat earth can explain many sacred imagery and motifs in ancient history which couldn't be further from the truth. In other words, they have flipped the creation epoch upside-down where the original meaning is completely absent.
How exactly do the standard works lead us in the wrong direction? And what imagery are you talking about?