Woke professors fired from BYU - I

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Woke professors fired from BYU - I

Post by Subcomandante »

SL Tribune reporting on this, also reported on the Cultural Hall Facebook page:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/11 ... MCxJQUnaV0

Apparently the Church created an Ecclesiastical Clearence Office about three years ago.

If so, this is the beginning of a good thing. Maybe we will finally get to clean house.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Re: Woke professors fired from BYU - I

Post by Sunain »

Subcomandante wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:25 pm Apparently the Church created an Ecclesiastical Clearence Office about three years ago.

If so, this is the beginning of a good thing. Maybe we will finally get to clean house.
Hopefully that is the case. BYU needs a good cleansing, teachers, students and faculty. The fact that this is the first incident we've heard about in three years, makes me think it's not that effective.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

I'll believe something is afoot when we hear of such things coming out of BYU-Provo. BYU-I is already much more conservative than Provo.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

These things aren't just catching "woke" professors. They are getting rid of anyone who teaches who disagrees with the First Presidency on anything.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Subcomandante wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:25 pm SL Tribune reporting on this, also reported on the Cultural Hall Facebook page:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2022/11 ... MCxJQUnaV0

Apparently the Church created an Ecclesiastical Clearence Office about three years ago.

If/when the handbook changes to eliminate acceptance of same sex romantic behavior, then we will be on a better path.

Until then this is just window dressing.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

Rubicon wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:36 pm I'll believe something is afoot when we hear of such things coming out of BYU-Provo. BYU-I is already much more conservative than Provo.
This won't affect too many of the "woke" brethren. They'll just lie in the interview. Most of them already do. Besides, the brethren are much more "woke" than ever before so now they barely disagree with them anyways.

It's those of us who won't agree with the Covid-19 policies, the UNICEF and NAACP donations, or the sex abuse hotline policies and won't lie about it that get nailed.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Atrasado wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:44 pm These things aren't just catching "woke" professors. They are getting rid of anyone who teaches who disagrees with the First Presidency on anything.
This ^

The subject matter is a distraction, as long as it's not too "conspiracy theory" -esque. It's about squelching insubordination within the organization. It kind of seems like you can believe whatever you want now, as long as you do so while kissing the ring.

It's also telling that the first place both of these professors go is to the SLTrib.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Atrasado wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:49 pm
Rubicon wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:36 pm I'll believe something is afoot when we hear of such things coming out of BYU-Provo. BYU-I is already much more conservative than Provo.
This won't affect too many of the "woke" brethren. They'll just lie in the interview. Most of them already do. Besides, the brethren are much more "woke" than ever before so now they barely disagree with them anyways.

It's those of us who won't agree with the Covid-19 policies, the UNICEF and NAACP donations, or the sex abuse hotline policies and won't lie about it that get nailed.
I've noticed that further to the "woke" one leans, the more morally pliable one must become.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Where else would they go besides the Trib? Deseret News? KSL?

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Q15 is woke...so I don't see that this dog is going to bite...

....just bark...so the conservatives stay in the good ship Zion...and keep donations and tithing flowing into Ensign Peak Advisors.

Crap, Q15 just shredded the Family Proclamation last week by openly SUPPORTING the gay marriage bill. That officially puts them in the card carrying woke club.

The Church is a master at putting on a conservative public image...while their leaders and their actions are far from it.

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

I don't have a problem with firing professors who are blatantly teaching anti-christ, marxist, satanic doctrines but it seems like it's coming a little late. There are way too many woke teachers at church schools already. But doing this all in secrecy is not the way and smacks of a cultish loyalty test. Just come right out and tell people why they are being fired. Hopefully word will get around and fewer propagandists will want to work there.

Moroni104
captain of 100

Post by Moroni104 »

How many professors?

I don't pay money to the SL Tribune.

As far as the Church's position on things, it continues to be extremely confusing with some things, such as their support of bills relating to LGTBQ stuff, yet this recent thing reported in this post.

I know people who work at BYU Provo.

They have told me that Clark Gilbert is very interested in making sure BYU Provo continues as a religious institution and does not become secular.

You can see that in this article: https://www.deseret.com/2022/9/14/23319 ... -different

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It not so much that they were fired but the manner in which it was done that I find troubling.

Down_the_rabbithole
captain of 100

Post by Down_the_rabbithole »

BYU Provo seems to be the real problem. It has been openly woke/leftist for awhile now and the church leaders know it. I know SO MANY parents that sent their kids there thinking it would help them get their education and also help strengthen their testimonies. Almost all of their kids are now LGBT leftist atheists. ALL the return missionaries I know that went to BYU Provo are in the same boat. Those that went to other colleges/universities didn't seem to have the same issues. One mother I spoke to said she wishes she had never encouraged her son to try to get into BYU because "it changed him". Something is very off there. Yes, this is anecdotal as it's people I know in my ward/neighborhood, but I'm certain I'm not alone in seeing this. Many of the professors seem to have bad intentions. I'm sure there are good professors, they're just far outnumbered. Just look at the video on Rumble that shows the 2nd floor of the BYU-JSFB building. Every office except one is plastered with Marxist, leftist, BLM, LGBT- flags, posters, and symbols. I'm sure those professors aren't injecting that garbage in their teaching. 🙄

Has anyone else seen this happening? Or am I "up in the night".
Last edited by Down_the_rabbithole on December 1st, 2022, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Down_the_rabbithole wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:22 pm BYU Provo seems to be the real problem. It has been openly woke/leftist for awhile now and the church leaders know it. I know many SO MANY parents that sent their kids there thinking it would help them get their education and also help strengthen their testimonies. Almost all of their kids are now LGBT leftist atheists. ALL the return missionaries I know that went to BYU Provo are in the same boat. Those that went to other colleges/universities didn't seem to have the same issues. One mother I spoke to said she wishes she had never encouraged her son to try to get into BYU because "it changed him". Something is very off there. Yes, this is anecdotal as it's people I know in my ward/neighborhood, but I'm certain I'm not alone in seeing this. Many of the professors seem to have bad intentions. I'm sure there are good professors, they're just far outnumbered. Just look at the video on Rumble that shows the 2nd floor of the BYU-JSFB building. Every office except one is plastered with Marxist, leftist, BLM, LGBT- flags, posters, and symbols. I'm sure those professors aren't injecting that garbage in their teaching. 🙄

The Instagram page of BYU Conservatives has a "Woke Wednesday" in which they review woke things that are being done on the BYU Campus whether in classes, protests, or assignments within classes. This week, a writing 150 assignment talking about global warming and also a separate assignment where talking about "sensitive LGBT issues" or "2nd Amendment issues" in which your position is decidedly conservative is prohibited.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

The Red Pill wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:40 pm Q15 is woke...so I don't see that this dog is going to bite...

....just bark...so the conservatives stay in the good ship Zion...and keep donations and tithing flowing into Ensign Peak Advisors.

Crap, Q15 just shredded the Family Proclamation last week by openly SUPPORTING the gay marriage bill. That officially puts them in the card carrying woke club.

The Church is a master at putting on a conservative public image...while their leaders and their actions are far from it.
Hinckley was the best. Hands down. He had me fooled. Monson, Oaks, Bednar - it is sad they went into paid apostleship as their careers when they could have done well in the acting profession.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Moroni104 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:35 pm

They have told me that Clark Gilbert is very interested in making sure BYU Provo continues as a religious institution and does not become secular.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/9/14/23319 ... -different
Another up and coming lds liberal academic in conservative clothing.

The article quoted is a fine piece of specious mormon enlightenment while inwardly just bowing to the UN agenda. Time to roll out: All of the religious universities are in this together.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Letfreedumbring wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:30 pm
The Red Pill wrote: November 28th, 2022, 7:40 pm Q15 is woke...so I don't see that this dog is going to bite...

Hinckley was the best. Hands down. He had me fooled. Monson, Oaks, Bednar - it is sad they went into paid apostleship as their careers when they could have done well in the acting profession.
Hinckley is the one who started me questioning.

His Larry King interview was embarrassing.

Indefensible.

Gad @#$ kissing.

Not a good look.

Should have stuck to swinging.

LOL

Sir H

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

The statements that started me questioning were:

1. Wallace (interview outside of main 60 minutes segment): Are you a prophet?
Hinckley: I am sustained as such

2. Hinckley April 2003, Saturday Morning Session, talk entitled Condition of the Church:

"I promise you that we will not put the Church in debt. We will strictly tailor the program to the tithing income and use these sacred funds for the purposes designated by the Lord.

I call attention to that which has received much notice in the local press. This is our decision to purchase the shopping mall property immediately to the south of Temple Square.

We feel we have a compelling responsibility to protect the environment of the Salt Lake Temple. The Church owns most of the ground on which this mall stands. The owners of the buildings have expressed a desire to sell. The property needs very extensive and expensive renovation. We have felt it imperative to do something to revitalize this area. But I wish to give the entire Church the assurance that tithing funds have not and will not be used to acquire this property. Nor will they be used in developing it for commercial purposes.

Funds for this have come and will come from those commercial entities owned by the Church. These resources, together with the earnings of invested reserve funds, will accommodate this program.

[City Creek happens in 2008, Billions spent and Let's Go Shopping Years Later - whistleblower reveals different story]

3. Hinckley: “Each of us has to face the matter – either the Church is true, or it is a fraud. There is no middle ground. It is the Church and kingdom of God, or it is nothing.” General Conference, April 2003, Saturday Morning Session, talk entitled Loyalty

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Letfreedumbring wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:45 am The statements that started me questioning were:

2. Hinckley April 2003, Saturday Morning Session, talk entitled Condition of the Church:

"I promise you that we will not put the Church in debt. We will strictly tailor the program to the tithing income and use these sacred funds for the purposes designated by the Lord.

I call attention to that which has received much notice in the local press. This is our decision to purchase the shopping mall property immediately to the south of Temple Square.

We feel we have a compelling responsibility to protect the environment of the Salt Lake Temple. The Church owns most of the ground on which this mall stands. The owners of the buildings have expressed a desire to sell. The property needs very extensive and expensive renovation. We have felt it imperative to do something to revitalize this area. But I wish to give the entire Church the assurance that tithing funds have not and will not be used to acquire this property. Nor will they be used in developing it for commercial purposes.

Funds for this have come and will come from those commercial entities owned by the Church. These resources, together with the earnings of invested reserve funds, will accommodate this program.

[City Creek happens in 2008, Billions spent and Let's Go Shopping Years Later - whistleblower reveals different story]

3. Hinckley: “Each of us has to face the matter – either the Church is true, or it is a fraud. There is no middle ground. It is the Church and kingdom of God, or it is nothing.” General Conference, April 2003, Saturday Morning Session, talk entitled Loyalty
Reserve funds are not tithing funds. I thought President Hinckley explained it well.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Do they review BYU Radio? The radio station is the only aspect of BYU I have direct contact with, but I had to stop listening to it because it was full of this stuff. It is not a good ambassador for the church. When foreigners like me tune into a station like that we're probably looking for LDS content and music, not some pish the BBC comes out with every day.

I fear like PBS if they fired all the woke people there would be no one left (no pun intended).
Last edited by Niemand on December 1st, 2022, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moroni104
captain of 100

Post by Moroni104 »

Letfreedumbring wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Moroni104 wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:35 pm

https://www.deseret.com/2022/9/14/23319 ... -different
Another up and coming lds liberal academic in conservative clothing.

The article quoted is a fine piece of specious mormon enlightenment while inwardly just bowing to the UN agenda. Time to roll out: All of the religious universities are in this together.
Be specific. Otherwise we cannot learn from what you are saying and have no way to know if you have something important to add or are just being bitter.

Moroni104
captain of 100

Post by Moroni104 »

Subcomandante wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:08 am
Letfreedumbring wrote: December 1st, 2022, 12:45 am The statements that started me questioning were:

Reserve funds are not tithing funds. I thought President Hinckley explained it well.
While cash is fungible, I agree. I think Pres. Hinckley's point is: 1) We don't want this neighborhood around the temple to become a terrible ghetto, and 2) we are not using new funds coming in, we have funds from past years that are being used as investments anyway; this mall has no place in our budget with regards to funds coming in--it is just part of an investment that we do with surplus funds.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

Subcomandante wrote: November 30th, 2022, 9:17 pm
Down_the_rabbithole wrote: November 30th, 2022, 8:22 pm BYU Provo seems to be the real problem. It has been openly woke/leftist for awhile now and the church leaders know it. I know many SO MANY parents that sent their kids there thinking it would help them get their education and also help strengthen their testimonies. Almost all of their kids are now LGBT leftist atheists. ALL the return missionaries I know that went to BYU Provo are in the same boat. Those that went to other colleges/universities didn't seem to have the same issues. One mother I spoke to said she wishes she had never encouraged her son to try to get into BYU because "it changed him". Something is very off there. Yes, this is anecdotal as it's people I know in my ward/neighborhood, but I'm certain I'm not alone in seeing this. Many of the professors seem to have bad intentions. I'm sure there are good professors, they're just far outnumbered. Just look at the video on Rumble that shows the 2nd floor of the BYU-JSFB building. Every office except one is plastered with Marxist, leftist, BLM, LGBT- flags, posters, and symbols. I'm sure those professors aren't injecting that garbage in their teaching. 🙄

The Instagram page of BYU Conservatives has a "Woke Wednesday" in which they review woke things that are being done on the BYU Campus whether in classes, protests, or assignments within classes. This week, a writing 150 assignment talking about global warming and also a separate assignment where talking about "sensitive LGBT issues" or "2nd Amendment issues" in which your position is decidedly conservative is prohibited.
I would have fun in that class, but I'd get an F for speaking the truth to these SJW professors. In fact, I'd probably be escorted off of campus for being a rebel.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

Moroni104 wrote: December 1st, 2022, 7:13 am
Subcomandante wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:08 am

While cash is fungible, I agree. I think Pres. Hinckley's point is: 1) We don't want this neighborhood around the temple to become a terrible ghetto, and 2) we are not using new funds coming in, we have funds from past years that are being used as investments anyway; this mall has no place in our budget with regards to funds coming in--it is just part of an investment that we do with surplus funds.
Circular rationalization at its finest.