Sacrament meeting talks today

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Sacrament meeting talks today

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Church of what's happening now --
Big push for lighting the world/ Giving machines -
Started off with " because I have been given much" hymn
Which is a good message, but, the talks were weird - had to leave
Saw New poster "Giving Machine" on way out
I'm guessing the message was coordinated/ mandated for all wards - maybe the way the big push for missionaries mtg topic was in the summer

madvin
captain of 1,000

Re: Sacrament meeting talks today

Post by madvin »

Haven't heard anything about giving machines in sacrament meetings thus far. Is this only Utah?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Today I talked in Sacrament Meeting. This was the talk that I gave: GRATITUDE

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

madvin wrote: November 27th, 2022, 1:07 pm Haven't heard anything about giving machines in sacrament meetings thus far. Is this only Utah?
This was in arizona

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Today the theme was "finding truth". All based on a talk from President Nelson. It seems every week is based off a talk from him.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

TwochurchesOnly wrote: November 27th, 2022, 1:03 pm Church of what's happening now --
Big push for lighting the world/ Giving machines -
Started off with " because I have been given much" hymn
Which is a good message, but, the talks were weird - had to leave
Saw New poster "Giving Machine" on way out
I'm guessing the message was coordinated/ mandated for all wards - maybe the way the big push for missionaries mtg topic was in the summer
We didn't have that here because we have no such machines in this country. But we did have a talk from Pres. Oaks which praised corporate charities.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 2:07 pm Today the theme was "finding truth". All based on a talk from President Nelson. It seems every week is based off a talk from him.
“Russell saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Mamabear wrote: November 27th, 2022, 2:27 pm
InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 27th, 2022, 2:07 pm Today the theme was "finding truth". All based on a talk from President Nelson. It seems every week is based off a talk from him.
“Russell saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”
As humorous as that new verse of scripture may sound, it’s true. You must sustain him, his brethren, and all other leaders in order to come unto Christ.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

The closing speaker's talk was on how God has provided us with all this technology, but he also wants us to be responsible with it, so tips and counsel for managing one's time on it.

In elders quorum we used Christofferson's Oct. GC talk "Doctrine of Belonging" as source material for discussing inclusivity in the church and making people feel like they belong. Felt a little like a group therapy session. I just had a presentation by the Human Resources department at work on the same thing a few months ago, but with a lot less participation than what we had in EQ.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Half a day later, I can't tell you much about the talks today; they were forgettable, as are most--which reminds me, why did they say we can't use object lessons in our talks? Not everyone learns by hearing. So many rules. Oh, and they're ending Zoom Sacrament meetings, so forget about drinking hot chocolate in your jammies during church.

The Bishopric commented on the smaller than usual congregation. No one seems publicly rattled by the Church's stand on gay marriage--it's as if it never happened--but maybe some voted with their feet.

I love being at church until the speakers announce that they are talking on so-and-so's Conference talk. When did this start?? I know why: so we don't go off-topic and say something that would be frowned upon by TPTB. As if Conference isn't boring enough, we have to listen to Sacrament talks and RS & PH lessons based on Conference talks.

The cognitive dissonance is killing us. We know what we know, and we can't unsee what we have seen, and our eyes drop to the floor in resignation when Prophet or President or Elder Whozit is quoted. This is a predominately Mormon community, and it would be social suicide to stop attending. It's discouraging. There's no one to talk to, as there is no free speech in the Church. Tyrants and bullies. So weary and tired of it all. And here we are, on the brink of WWIII, famine, a great depression, etc., and there is no word of warning, except take your vitamins, heh heh heh.
Last edited by NowWhat on November 27th, 2022, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Our sacrament meeting (SL valley) had the 2 full time missionaries speak. The bishop asked then to speak about Christ. One of the missionaries read 3 scriptures. Before the 3rd one, he said "Sorry for reading so many scriptures."

Interesting that LDS members seem to be conditioned to hear rehashed GA comments and not scriptures. Rehashed comments--GOOD. Scriptures--BAD.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

NowWhat wrote: November 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm Half a day later, I can't tell you much about the talks today; they were forgettable, as are most--which reminds me, why did they say we can't use object lessons in our talks? Not everyone learns by hearing. So many rules. Oh, and they're ending Zoom Sacrament meetings, so forget about drinking hot chocolate in your jammies during church.

The Bishopric commented on the smaller than usual congregation. No one seems publicly rattled by the Church's stand on gay marriage--it's as if it never happened--but maybe some voted with their feet.

I love being at church until the speakers announce that they are talking on so-and-so's Conference talk. When did this start?? I know why: so we don't go off-topic and say something that would be frowned upon by TPTB. As if Conference isn't boring enough, we have to listen to Sacrament talks and RS & PH lessons based on Conference talks.
The programming will continue until the morale improves.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

Is that a bad thing?

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

NowWhat wrote: November 27th, 2022, 7:26 pm Half a day later, I can't tell you much about the talks today; they were forgettable, as are most--which reminds me, why did they say we can't use object lessons in our talks? Not everyone learns by hearing. So many rules. Oh, and they're ending Zoom Sacrament meetings, so forget about drinking hot chocolate in your jammies during church.

The cognitive dissonance is killing us. We know what we know, and we can't unsee what we have seen, and our eyes drop to the floor in resignation when Prophet or President or Elder Whozit is quoted. This is a predominately Mormon community, and it would be social suicide to stop attending. It's discouraging. There's no one to talk to, as there is no free speech in the Church. Tyrants and bullies. So weary and tired of it all. And here we are, on the brink of WWIII, famine, a great depression, etc., and there is no word of warning, except take your vitamins, heh heh heh.
The church's stance on gay marriage hasn't changed. They've always fought against it and have continued that fight until today. Unfortunately, the US and other parts of the world have chosen to ignore the Lord and embrace wickedness. The church cannot take away people's free agency, so they have to do the best they can with the laws we have, and try to minimize the impact those laws will have on our religious freedoms. What else do you expect them to do?

We are a church who believes in being subject to government leaders and in honoring and upholding the laws of the places we live. Many of the church's actions have been driven by this particular Article of Faith (e.g., the end of polygamy, mask/vaccine mandates, changing their stance on cremation, etc.). It is a temporary issue that will become irrelevant once Christ returns. It sucks having to currently go through these perilous times, but it is part of the refining process and I hope we all end up better off for enduring it.

I hope this helps.

innocentoldguy
captain of 100

Post by innocentoldguy »

HereWeGo wrote: November 27th, 2022, 8:16 pm Our sacrament meeting (SL valley) had the 2 full time missionaries speak. The bishop asked then to speak about Christ. One of the missionaries read 3 scriptures. Before the 3rd one, he said "Sorry for reading so many scriptures."

Interesting that LDS members seem to be conditioned to hear rehashed GA comments and not scriptures. Rehashed comments--GOOD. Scriptures--BAD.
How can you contort a single self-conscious comment made by a teenager into this nonexistent, church-wide policy and the condemnation thereof? Isn't this the very definition of a straw man argument? May I suggest being more charitable towards the people in your ward? Nobody is perfect, especially when nervously speaking in public.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

right there with you my friend. only, I have not returned to "THE" church in over a year.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I taught the lesson in Priesthood last Sunday. My topic was the coming of the Anti-Christ. It was good fun.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dave62 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:49 am I taught the lesson in Priesthood last Sunday. My topic was the coming of the Anti-Christ. It was good fun.
At least someone's talking about that. I can't remember whether we ever did.

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

Niemand wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:55 am
Dave62 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 2:49 am I taught the lesson in Priesthood last Sunday. My topic was the coming of the Anti-Christ. It was good fun.
I started the lesson by telling them that there were not going to be any Heavenly Teddy bears today. I finished by telling them that 'the Enemy is not after you, he is after your children and grandchildren.' That was a very sober moment.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dave62 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:02 am
I started the lesson by telling them that there were not going to be any Heavenly Teddy bears today. I finished by telling them that 'the Enemy is not after you, he is after your children and grandchildren.' That was a very sober moment.
I would love to have been a "fly on the wall" in that lesson. I've tried to drop things into sacrament talks subtly and also stormed out of Sunday School once, but that's about it. Hard to get people to listen.

The Sunday School teacher made political point after political point then told us we shouldn't discuss politics (sic) due to "safety" and "inclusivity". I pointed this out and got heckled for it. The result was a stalemate. I still look awful because she started crying just after I left the room apparently, but she got replaced by a better candidate. I think some people still don't like me for it... and it certainly wasn't my intention to make a woman cry in public... but there is a very different tone to Sunday School now.

I did agree party politics should be left out of it, but I didn't agree churches should be politics free as some issues such as religious freedom are very political.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

I'm glad that I didn't grow up in the Mormon corridor. My ward for the first 35 years of my life (down south on the left coast) was more earnest and real. Now I am in an international ward in Europe and I'm getting the same but totally different experience with people from all over the world (over 25 different countries).

We don't follow formats. Speakers are never assigned topics. So during sacrement meeting so people share more authentic views, testimonies, and experiences.

I teach priesthood and I teach about what ever I feel like discussing. Yesterday was about bearing the image and name of God.

I also teach YA Come Follow Me on the other Sundays and let's just say that our lessons are much deeper and more insightful that Mormon Central's (on YouTube) come follow me content. And don't get me started on how bad the Church's correlation department does with the Church's manuals.

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

OK, some of the points I covered... (in a very messy order)
The role of the Aaronic Priesthood in calling the world to repentance, I am still a Deacon, Teacher and a Priest,
Moroni 1 "I will not deny the Christ",
The vast slaughter of the Nephites and then the Lamanites turning on themselves, the Luciferian Left has always been cannibalistic,
The Family Proc and how much of the hostility is coming from LDS, Moroni was hiding from apostate Nephites who knew all about him.
Likewise, the possibility of the bulk of hostility towards the "Living Christ" and the "Restoration" will most likely comes from LDS.
BIG tangent on the 4th century, Emperor Constantine, St. Augustine, and Pelagius.
BIG tangent on the Shogun Tokugawa and the 'fumi-e' ('stamping picture' of the Madonna and Christ of Nagasaki), the torture of Christians in Japan and the 'Hidden Christians'.
The terrible persecution of Christians that is already happening in Islamic countries.
The Anti-Christ (AC) will demand that you worship him and him alone. He will do miracles and call down fire that will deceive some of the saints.
Like Moroni, will you, or will you not deny the Christ?
They don't care about you, you will die. They are coming for your children and your grandchildren
So you better get ready.
Focus on Christ and Hear Him!
Teach these things to your families
The difference between 'soon' and 'suddenly'.
Mormon chapter 9, 3 Nephi 30, 2 Nephi 25:26.

Like I said, no 'heavenly teddy bears' allowed. My wife was jealous!

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

Niemand wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:11 am
Dave62 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 3:02 am
I would love to have been a "fly on the wall" in that lesson. I've tried to drop things into sacrament talks subtly and also stormed out of Sunday School once, but that's about it. Hard to get people to listen.

The Sunday School teacher made political point after political point then told us we shouldn't discuss politics (sic) due to "safety" and "inclusivity". I pointed this out and got heckled for it. The result was a stalemate. I still look awful because she started crying just after I left the room apparently, but she got replaced by a better candidate. I think some people still don't like me for it... and it certainly wasn't my intention to make a woman cry in public... but there is a very different tone to Sunday School now.

I did agree party politics should be left out of it, but I didn't agree churches should be politics free as some issues such as religious freedom are very political.
Holy Cat! They sound a bit like a bunch of Precious Princesses, mate!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Dave62 wrote: November 28th, 2022, 4:10 am Holy Cat! They sound a bit like a bunch of Precious Princesses, mate!
I've no idea whether they were real tears or not. I wasn't there but it was an effective weapon. She made me look like a complete bully!

I do not approve of being told not to discuss politics after a political lecture. I pointed out religious freedom is a political issue. I said I agreed party politics shouldn't be discussed (in my view all major political parties in every country have been deliberately corrupted. The WEF has hacked democracy.)

I never got to address it, but I would have questioned what she meant by "safe" as well. I have never felt LESS safe than the last couple of years. Her family are some of the few still wearing masks in the ward. Yes, I did wear a mask for a bit early on, but to use her kind of language it is "triggering" to see those face nappies still around.

I was told to apologise. I never have, although I wrestled with whether I should or not. I don't like hurting women or being seen to bully them which was not my aim.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

I was leading the discussion on personal revelation this last Sunday (conference-based talk). One guy made a comment that some of his relatives have a big disagreement with the prophet as he scoffed saying this is something we’ve learned since, you know,—primary, while quickly humming the tune. I was speechless at first. All I could muster up was that the church has openly admitted to making mistakes in recent past, and that we should always confirm any leaders’ words by the Spirit. I also thought of Joseph Smith’s words that we should not depend on the prophet and not neglect the duties devolving upon ourselves, but unfortunately didn’t. At the time it didn’t feel right, so hopefully what I said was enough. However, I will say that I felt guided in saying other things and the spirit was definitely present. I still feel the Spirit working with me at church and that’s where I’m supposed to be. It’s true that it’s boring, but you have to make it worthwhile for yourself and make it interesting. Speak out. Sometimes I’ve felt strongly led to make comments, while other times I fell flat. Besides sacrament, I haven’t been bored since I’ve made more efforts to be more bold.