World cup

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

World cup

Post by Cruiserdude »

Anyone watching or following the FIFA Babylon cup? πŸ˜‰πŸ˜
USA playing England right now and still 0-0, 60 minutes have passed. Better match than I thought.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: World cup

Post by Luke »

Watching it now.

England had better win. πŸ˜‰

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Luke wrote: ↑November 25th, 2022, 1:22 pm Watching it now.

I dunno man, I dunno.... USMNT hanging in there. I'm a bit pleasantly surprised.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Luke wrote: ↑November 25th, 2022, 1:22 pm Watching it now.

I'm a fan of Kane. That dude is a footballer

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

I'll be curious on time of possession numbers, seems like England has had possession of the ball for 60 of the 75 minutes that have passed...

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Oh my gosh we just got lucky

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Disappointing

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I'm covering some of the oddities and contoversies here:

viewtopic.php?t=68647

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

"It would be a lot better if they would just pick up the ball and run with it." William Webb Ellis.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Dave62 wrote: ↑November 25th, 2022, 10:06 pm "It would be a lot better if they would just pick up the ball and run with it." William Webb Ellis.

Little old American point of view there, huh, I guess?
dc

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

David13 wrote: ↑November 25th, 2022, 10:34 pm
Dave62 wrote: ↑November 25th, 2022, 10:06 pm "It would be a lot better if they would just pick up the ball and run with it." William Webb Ellis.

Little old American point of view there, huh, I guess?
dc
Rugby. The game they play in Heaven.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Also known as footy (Australian Rules Football).

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

gkearney wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 12:16 am
Also known as footy (Australian Rules Football).
Aussie rules is a completely different game...
where the winner is determined by which team has fewer players in the hospital or mortuary by the final whistle.

Dave62

Post by Dave62 »

William Webb Ellis (may his name be honoured) was the first to realise he could improve soccer (football) vastly by picking up the ball and running with it. Thus he is credited with the undying glory of having invented rugby.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Oi, Rugby? Sorry but scrums make no practical sense. They are quite homosexual as well. The second row comes in and basically grabs the crotches of the two props. Then the third row tries to shove their heads up everyone else's bums.

As for soccer, it's very sloppy. Seriously the top players in the world often can't even pass the ball with real precision. So many turnovers! It's a mess.

I think this scripture related to soccer which I played as a child
1Cor13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

For open free flowing sports like soccer, rugby, etc. Basketball is superior.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ransomme wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 3:03 am Oi, Rugby? Sorry but scrums make no practical sense. They are quite homosexual as well. The second row comes in and basically grabs the crotches of the two props. Then the third row tries to shove their heads up everyone else's bums.

As for soccer, it's very sloppy. Seriously the top players in the world often can't even pass the ball with real precision. So many turnovers! It's a mess.

I think this scripture related to soccer which I played as a child
1Cor13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Rugby has two codes, Rugby Union and Rugby League.
Rugby League is by far the superior game, and scrums are not much of a feature in Rugby League.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I tend to find that the rugby union vs rugby league debate tends to be based on someone's background. There is little or no rugby league in Scotland (although I have played a couple of games in that code)...

Rugby league is a game for backs and rugby union is a game for forwards.

Rugby league has no line outs anymore, which i think removed a great set piece. While I've nothing against the idea of players being paid (a major source of hypocrisy in rugby union)... rugby league has been trashed by the likes of the Aussie magnate Kerry Packer who encouraged teams to get stupid names and awful kit. This has crept into rugby union but is not as bad there.

Webb Ellis never invented running with the ball. That's as fishy a story as the Abner Doubleday myth in baseball. Ordinary people in these islands were already playing a form of football where the ball was carried... all Rugby School did was codify it.

Soccer/association football is as much a product of private schools as rugby was, although it is better at covering up that history. Soccer was developed at Uppingham School, Winchester and Oxford University. It reached the working class after that. Football where you didn't carry the ball was the exception not the rule and not what most working class people would have played in the Middle Ages.
ransomme wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 3:03 am Oi, Rugby? Sorry but scrums make no practical sense. They are quite homosexual as well. The second row comes in and basically grabs the crotches of the two props. Then the third row tries to shove their heads up everyone else's bums.
When you have fat, smelly, muddy props in front of you the last thing on most men's minds is homosexual activity. And if you've seen what most of them look like, with cauliflower ears and broken noses etc they're not exactly the lookers on any rugby team. (The pretty boys tend to be the backs... they get the ball after the scrum does all the work and get all the glory by scoring points with barely a scratch on them.)

The scrum is an adaptation of the the real folk football that existed in these islands long before Rugby School and Webb Ellis. (There's also the ruck and the maul, which are similar, but long story.)

Here is what they play in the Scottish Borders at Jedburgh. The scrum is a more organised version of this.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I watched a bit of the game between Belgium and Canada but I couldn't get into it. I grew up klutzy and chubby and was no good at sports except for cycling. I had massive legs and was willing to put up with a lot of pain in order to go faster. I remember playing "soccer" when I was a kid but I hated the fact that I could not use my hands. Whad'up wit dat?

For a young Canadian boy there was only one game, hockey πŸ˜€

Mike

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 5:12 am I tend to find that the rugby union vs rugby league debate tends to be based on someone's background. There is little or no rugby league in Scotland (although I have played a couple of games in that code)...

Rugby league has no line outs anymore, which i think removed a great set piece. While I've nothing against the idea of players being paid (a major source of hypocrisy in rugby union)... rugby league has been trashed by the likes of the Aussie magnate Kerry Packer who encouraged teams to get stupid names and awful kit. This has crept into rugby union but is not as bad there.

Webb Ellis never invented running with the ball. That's as fishy a story as the Abner Doubleday myth in baseball. Ordinary people in these islands were already playing a form of football where the ball was carried... all Rugby School did was codify it.

Soccer/association football is as much a product of private schools as rugby was, although it is better at covering up that history. Soccer was developed at Uppingham School, Winchester and Oxford University. It reached the working class after that. Football where you didn't carry the ball was the exception not the rule and not what most working class people would have played in the Middle Ages.
When you have fat, smelly, muddy props in front of you the last thing on most men's minds is homosexual activity. And if you've seen what most of them look like, with cauliflower ears and broken noses etc they're not exactly the lookers on any rugby team. (The pretty boys tend to be the backs... they get the ball after the scrum does all the work and get all the glory by scoring points with barely a scratch on them.)

The scrum is an adaptation of the the real folk football that existed in these islands long before Rugby School and Webb Ellis. (There's also the ruck and the maul, which are similar, but long story.)

Here is what they play in the Scottish Borders at Jedburgh. The scrum is a more organised version of this.

Rugby League is faster, more robust, flows better, and is more skillfull in my view. It's a northern working class game and has not been afraid to evolve, adapt and innovate. While I agree regarding some of the team names and kits, switching to a summer game was a stroke of genius.
When the two codes have gone head to head the League team has always come out on top.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 5:12 am I tend to find that the rugby union vs rugby league debate tends to be based on someone's background. There is little or no rugby league in Scotland (although I have played a couple of games in that code)...

Interesting picture.
What do they do, toss a (Β£)pound into a field?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ransomme wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 3:07 am For open free flowing sports like soccer, rugby, etc. Basketball is superior.
I watched a basketball game on the TV at the gym a while back.
This is how it went:
Team A had the ball, went up the court and scored a basket.
Then:
Team B had the ball, went up the court and scored a basket.

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

What a pointless exercise (though there were lots of points of course... too many). Basketball has got to be one of the most ridiculous games ever devised.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 7:32 am

Rugby League is faster, more robust, flows better, and is more skillfull in my view. It's a northern working class game and has not been afraid to evolve, adapt and innovate. While I agree regarding some of the team names and kits, switching to a summer game was a stroke of genius.
When the two codes have gone head to head the League team has always come out on top.
That's mainly because League survived for years by poaching some of the best players (and teams) from Union. And Union was amateur (supposedly!)

Nowadays I think it's probably more even because both lots pay and spend most of their time training.

If you want fast rugby there's always sevens.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 7:41 am
ransomme wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 3:07 am For open free flowing sports like soccer, rugby, etc. Basketball is superior.
This is how it went:
Then:

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

What a pointless exercise (though there were lots of points of course... too many). Basketball has got to be one of the most ridiculous games ever devised.
I dunno, have you seen netball? I used to watch it at school, and it wasn't for the gameplay.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Niemand wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 10:26 am
Robin Hood wrote: ↑November 26th, 2022, 7:41 am
This is how it went:
Then:

Rinse and repeat.

Talk about boring!

I dunno, have you seen netball? I used to watch it at school, and it wasn't for the gameplay.
I can really appreciate sport of basketball, so I had to look up this 'netball' thing. Sounds kinda like basketball; except no dribbling, no bouncing, no running with the ball, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball