Fifteen feet tall statue of Joseph Smith

Discuss political news items / current events.
HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: Fifteen feet tall statue of Joseph Smith

Post by HVDC »

BuriedTartaria wrote: November 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm I'm surprised this was made. I've felt they've been trying to mute attention to Joseph Smith and focus much more on the modern existence of the LDS church. Maybe I'm wrong
In case you missed it.

This particular statue wasn't made by the church.

They just showed up for the unveiling.

Seems strange to me.

But whatever.

Sir H

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

endlessismyname wrote: November 24th, 2022, 8:39 pm I really need Subcomandante to come and explain to us why this is actually a necessary thing for the church to do, because I’m drawing a blank.
Here's my take, given that you asked for it ;)

The Church didn't do this. This was done by a bunch of university students in a town where the Church doesn't even have a branch, and the nearest branch is three hours away inside of a city of 20 million people.

I think it was a gesture of goodwill by part of those students. Yet they are much like the Athenians in Paul's day who erected a temple to the unknown God.

The religions of India still erect statues of their gods as well as some religious leaders. It would be taken by them as an honor. But I could tell you that Joseph Smith, much like Paul, would probably be shaking his head (discreetly) saying that this was an excess.

As long as no one bows to the statue, we are good.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Niemand wrote: November 24th, 2022, 4:13 am
Lexew1899 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 2:18 am The fact that it’s golden is even worse.
It could have been worse, it could have been a calf.

Loving the "Namaste" gestures.
It's also the Namascar gesture, which I learned when I used to hang out w/Yogi groups, meant something like: I honor the divinity (or cosmic consciousness) within you.

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

2000: All is well in Zion. As long as no one makes a golden idol of this Joseph Smith, then! (laughs it off)

2020: All is well in Zion. As long as no one bows to the golden idol then that would be bad! (nervously laughs)

2030: All is well in UN. As long as no one bows to the golden idol and means it is what the church teaches

Generic User
captain of 10

Post by Generic User »

BuriedTartaria wrote: November 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm I'm surprised this was made. I've felt they've been trying to mute attention to Joseph Smith and focus much more on the modern existence of the LDS church. Maybe I'm wrong
They love the image of a whitewashed Joseph Smith. Any real mention of his teachings is "deep doctrine" and taboo. Aka "beyond the mark".

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: November 24th, 2022, 4:43 pm
Dave62 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 2:40 pm It's just an extension of Indian culture...get over it.
* Hindu culture
Yes. The India Indians who are HIndu.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

BuriedTartaria wrote: November 25th, 2022, 2:34 pm I've felt they've been trying to mute attention to Joseph Smith and focus much more on the modern existence of the LDS church. Maybe I'm wrong
It seems like that to me, too - but the Church didn't make it.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

It seems like it was someone trying to make a nice gesture. Perhaps we do the individual a disservice by condemning and mocking his gift. And I'm not so sure it's a good idea to make fun of the Hindu "lei" as some are calling it. The religions of India (Indian religions) are quite fascinating. I guess someone died and made us judge and jury over someone's desire to give what they thought was a nice gift.

The placement of the Joseph Smith statue is itself a story rooted in friendship. Ashok Joshi, an award-winning scientist and philanthropist from India who lives in Salt Lake City, USA, is a friend of the Revered Professor Dr. Vishwanath Karad — the founder and president of World Peace University.

At Joshi’s invitation, Dr. Karad visited Salt Lake City in 2015 and delivered the keynote address at the Parliament of World Religions held in Utah’s capital. While in Utah, Dr. Karad became acquainted with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He met Elder Christofferson and Brigham Young University President Kevin J Worthen, who was also present at Tuesday’s event.

Dr. Karad said that in the Church of Jesus Christ he saw something “so similar, so matching with what Indian culture stands for. These were the people who showed me a glimpse of what India would like to convey and proceed and promote. … A very unique event is taking place today. What a good fortune, friends.”

The 55 statues at the World Peace Dome — which include the likenesses of Moses, Peter and Aristotle — represent those “who think always [of] the soul and the mind,” Dr. Karad said. “The absolute right path can be shown only through education. What type of education? It has to be a universal, value-based education system.”
I do disagree with that last sentence in the quote. So much potential for abuse and misery in some definitions of "universal, value-based education system."

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

Don’t they need him holding a cigar?

Letfreedumbring
captain of 100

Post by Letfreedumbring »

HVDC wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:32 pm
In case you missed it.

Seems strange to me.

But whatever.

Sir H
I don't know what you are implying. It was purely random.
Christofferson normally wears those robes while vacationing in India.
He was eating a shwarma at a street vendor and was invited to a party as clearly seen in the photos.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/2022/11/2 ... dome-india

The gentleman who invited him was kind enough to take some spare gold they had in the back and whip up a statue in the likeness of Joseph Smith. It was no big deal. It really does amaze me at how the people on here draw such crazy conclusions!

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Letfreedumbring wrote: December 9th, 2022, 8:38 pm
HVDC wrote: November 25th, 2022, 3:32 pm
In case you missed it.

Seems strange to me.

But whatever.

Sir H
I don't know what you are implying. It was purely random.
Christofferson normally wears those robes while vacationing in India.
He was eating a shwarma at a street vendor and was invited to a party as clearly seen in the photos.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/2022/11/2 ... dome-india

The gentleman who invited him was kind enough to take some spare gold they had in the back and whip up a statue in the likeness of Joseph Smith. It was no big deal. It really does amaze me at how the people on here draw such crazy conclusions!
Pasted on smiles.

Honey, I don't know where they are taking us.

Something about colonial reparations and systemic racism.

But don't worry.

I've had a vision that I could take all of these guys out if I had too.

Like Oaks did.

But I think it would be better to go along.

Cause I don't want to hurt anyone who isn't white.

That would look really bad.

Just close your eyes.

And think of England.

That's what I am going to do.

They used to own this place.

It's really their fault ya know.

All I wanted was some curry.

Sir H

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Some people think too much and do too little.