Temple Recommend Question Number 7

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Temple Recommend Question Number 7

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:38 pm
Robin Hood wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 6:50 am
JandD6572 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:33 am
Fred wrote: November 21st, 2022, 9:07 pm

"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"
should be...
"Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of Jesus Christ?"

No democrat on earth could answer this truthfully in the negative. It would not be possible for any Q15 to get a recommend unless they lied.

NONE of the things the church believes in are Christlike. If they were, they could not be democrats.

I had to explain to my daughter today the real reason the church keeps building temples even though membership is in a free fall. Temples are a cash cow. Buy 500 to a thousand acres of cheap land. Announce a temple. Build 500 high dollar homes on the cheap land surrounding the temple site. Profit a hundred grand on each home. Double that if they also provide financing. Rinse and Repeat.
Wait, they do that with the land around the temples?
They didn't here.
They didn't, but there are some very nice houses down the side of the Preston Temple. That said Chorley isn't a prime location for property.

It is, however, a much cleverer location than London's which seems to have been based on some GA's love of Gatwick airport.

The obvious development site for the Preston temple is the field behind the stake house. I believe the church owns it. But it is getting towards the motorway.
The properties near the temple were already there. The temple site itself was earmarked for light industry/business park development, so there was a lot of opposition from the local authority initially. The church does own the field but it can't be developed for housing.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 1:38 am
Niemand wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 5:38 pm
Robin Hood wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 6:50 am
JandD6572 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 3:33 am

Wait, they do that with the land around the temples?
They didn't here.
They didn't, but there are some very nice houses down the side of the Preston Temple. That said Chorley isn't a prime location for property.

It is, however, a much cleverer location than London's which seems to have been based on some GA's love of Gatwick airport.

The obvious development site for the Preston temple is the field behind the stake house. I believe the church owns it. But it is getting towards the motorway.
The properties near the temple were already there. The temple site itself was earmarked for light industry/business park development, so there was a lot of opposition from the local authority initially. The church does own the field but it can't be developed for housing.
Sounds like the locals got a good deal then. There is a big business park within a quarter mile away to the west from there anyway. To be fair the temple doesn't look too out of place architecturally either. There is a much older church further up the motorway I call the "false temple" because some people mistake its steeple for the temple's on the bus down.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

Just saw a presentation/tour yesterday of the Preston site. All in all it seems pretty nice.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

F69D788B-8612-4CC6-9718-78A3D06ED9F5.jpeg
F69D788B-8612-4CC6-9718-78A3D06ED9F5.jpeg (255.22 KiB) Viewed 565 times

HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Post by HereWeGo »

Mamabear wrote: November 28th, 2022, 6:41 pm F69D788B-8612-4CC6-9718-78A3D06ED9F5.jpeg
So you have to pay the church to receive your tokens and signs but you cannot resell them. The money can only flow one direction?

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

HereWeGo wrote: November 28th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Mamabear wrote: November 28th, 2022, 6:41 pm F69D788B-8612-4CC6-9718-78A3D06ED9F5.jpeg
So you have to pay the church to receive your tokens and signs but you cannot resell them. The money can only flow one direction?
Yeah. Keep the money flowing to ensign peak.
ain’t nobody gonna pay us to see that garbage.

Atrasado
captain of 1,000

Post by Atrasado »

iWriteStuff wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:16 am
Mamabear wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:55 am The church is not honest or transparent at all and we should be interviewing them instead.

Also people need to stop putting their faith in objects. Garments, temples, tithing, temple recommends, etc. They associate their salvation with these things and it’s not healthy but superstitious.
FWIW, the day Joseph was killed at Carthage, he:

1) Wasn't wearing his garments.
2) Drank wine.
3) Shot at people using fire arms they smuggled in.
4) Yelled out Masonic signals in hopes his lodge brethren would save him.

It's interesting food for thought.
I didn't know this.
2) Drank wine.
This isn't against section 89 and it wasn't/perhaps still isn't a commandment.
3) Shot at people using firearms they smuggled in.
Good for him. I hope he got a couple of them.
I believe that Masonry is the apostate temple worship from apostolic times so this doesn't really bother me.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

Atrasado wrote: November 29th, 2022, 10:05 am
Mamabear wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:55 am The church is not honest or transparent at all and we should be interviewing them instead.

Also people need to stop putting their faith in objects. Garments, temples, tithing, temple recommends, etc. They associate their salvation with these things and it’s not healthy but superstitious.

2) Drank wine.

I believe that Masonry is the apostate temple worship from apostolic times so this doesn't really bother me.
It may also be telling that he thought some of his lodge brethren may have been out in the mob to hear it.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Biblical Jesus nice.
Mormon Jesus mean.
5C823694-4582-4A6C-9E42-75AB90F635E7.jpeg
5C823694-4582-4A6C-9E42-75AB90F635E7.jpeg (200.68 KiB) Viewed 275 times

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: November 30th, 2022, 6:08 pm

2) Drank wine.

It may also be telling that he thought some of his lodge brethren may have been out in the mob to hear it.
Maybe Joseph knew who they were and the exclamation was more of an, "Et tu, Brute?" kind of a thing.

Mike

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

MikeMaillet wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:17 am

2) Drank wine.

Maybe Joseph knew who they were and the exclamation was more of an, "Et tu, Brute?" kind of a thing.

Mike
Maybe the people in that meeting they had to plot his death? The one Brigham attended.
Don't have a link someone here must, I got the info from here.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 7th, 2022, 10:42 am

Mike
Maybe the people in that meeting they had to plot his death? The one Brigham attended.
That would be interesting.

Mike

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

MikeMaillet wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:30 am

Mike

Mike
I just found a bunch of info about the plot to murder JS compiled here on Steven's blog:

https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/joseph-smiths-murder/

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: December 7th, 2022, 12:09 pm
MikeMaillet wrote: December 7th, 2022, 11:30 am

Mike

Mike
I just found a bunch of info about the plot to murder JS compiled here on Steven's blog:

https://seekingyhwh.org/resources/joseph-smiths-murder/
Thank you. I'm going to enjoy this material.

Mike

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Subcomandante wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:28 am
ransomme wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 4:18 am
Subcomandante wrote: November 21st, 2022, 8:40 pm
LDS Physician wrote: November 21st, 2022, 6:32 pm "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Can any of the 15 answer this in the negative after their declared support of the marriage act?

I've already had 2 members ask me this when I've read this question to them during recommend interviews.

It reminds me back in the day when I'd ask the (now changed) question which asked "Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Multiple members would ask me, "Do the Boy Scouts of America count?" Back when the BSA was wandering into LGBT realms.

This is getting ... uncomfortable.
They can answer in the affirmative even after declaring support for the act.

The reason for this is that they are not affirming that teaching within the bounds of the Church. The moment they do that, then they can answer in the negative.

The moment when any LDS Church official starts officiating in a same sex marriage ceremony within his calling (not as a clerk for example), is the moment which he commits an act of apostasy and he would be excommunicable.
The Church affiliated with the UN, various LGBTQ groups, and many other groups that conflict.
If you call working on different projects where there is common agreement (while recognizing differences) as an affiliation, then the Church has had MANY unsavory affiliations with people who you don't like very much. Now, guess which president of the Church started off these affiliations?

That's right. It was President Ezra Taft Benson. A shocker to be sure by many people on this forum, especially his rhetoric against these organisms in the 60s.

President Benson at that point of time was not cognizant of these happenings……

u are exactly right though, it was during his latter days of mortal life that these entanglements where made…….and it was done at that point in time, so that people would claim…..EXACTLY what u just did! so as to squelch any argument from the “conservative” portion of the membership when this topic would arise