Thanksgiving traditions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Thanksgiving traditions

Post by Lizzy60 »

I just put my chocolate pies in the freezer. These are not just any chocolate pies, these are the ones my great-grandmother used to make.

I am the oldest child, and oldest grandchild/great-grandchild on both sides of my family. My father and mother were the oldest in their families, and married at 19 and I was born a couple years later. Therefore I had great-grandparents until I was married. The sweet grandma who made these pies as well as tons of other awesome food was at my wedding.

I am in my 60’s and I remember eating at her home for some Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the 60’s, and especially 70’s when we moved back to Utah. The reason I am giving the years is because when I was given this recipe years later, I could not believe how simple her to-die-for chocolate pie was!

So I am here to share. Melt 8 ounces of chocolate with a bag of marshmallows and a half cup milk, until almost ready to simmer. Cool for several hours in the refrigerator until it is cool, but not cold. Whip 2 cups of cream with sugar and vanilla and fold into the cooled chocolate mixture, and put into the crust of your choice. Refrigerate or freeze. If frozen, allow it to thaw a bit before cutting.

My additional helps — I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk will also work well. The marshmallows are a 10 ounce bag. I melt them until 190-200 degrees because I have a cooking thermometer handy, but you can also just guess. If it looks like it’s about to bubble, it’s done. Also I melt it for one minute at a time in the microwave, stirring well. The sugar and vanilla in the whipped cream are to your taste. And today I was using some store-bought chocolate-nut pie crusts that are smaller than my pie pans, so I cut the cream to one and one-half cups.

This recipe makes TWO pies!!!

Happy Thanksgiving LDSFF family!
Last edited by Lizzy60 on November 21st, 2022, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Thanksgiving traditions

Post by Cruiserdude »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 1:39 pm I just put my chocolate pies in the freezer. These are not just any chocolate pies, these are the ones my great-grandmother used to make.

I am the oldest child, and oldest grandchild/great-grandchild on both sides of my family. My father and mother were the oldest in their families, and married at 19 and I was born a couple years later. Therefore I had great-grandparents until I was married. The sweet grandma who made these pies as well as tons of other awesome food was at my wedding.

I am in my 60’s and I remember eating at her home for some Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the 60’s, and especially 70’s when we moved back to Utah. The reason I am giving the years is because when I was given this recipe years later, I could not believe how simple her to-die-for chocolate pie was!

So I am here to share. Melt 8 ounces of chocolate with a bag of marshmallows and a half cup milk, until almost ready to simmer. Cool for several hours in the refrigerator until it is cool, but not cold. Whip 2 cups of cream with sugar and vanilla and fold into the cooled chocolate mixture, and put into the crust of your choice. Refrigerate or freeze. If frozen, allow it to thaw a bit before cutting.

My additional helps — I use semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk will also work well. The marshmallows are a 10 ounce bag. I melt them until 190-200 degrees because I have a cooking thermometer handy, but you can also just guess. If it looks like it’s about to bubble, it’s done. Also I melt it for one minute at a time in the microwave, stirring well. The sugar and vanilla in the whipped cream are to your taste. And today I was using some store-bought chocolate-nut pie crusts that are smaller than my pie pans, so I cut the cream to one and one-half cups.

Now that sounds like a great pie!!! 👌😁
Wouldn't surprise me that the simpler the recipe, the better.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 21st, 2022, 1:39 pm I just put my chocolate pies in the freezer. These are not just any chocolate pies, these are the ones my great-grandmother used to make.

I've made really good fudge that starts off that way! Haven't thought about it in pie form though- looking forward to trying it!

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Lucky. I can’t recall a single recipe passed down from my grandparents. Come to think of it, I don’t think my mom passed any along.