Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
anonymous91
captain of 100

Re: Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by anonymous91 »

spiritMan wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:21 pm
nightlight wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:16 pm
spiritMan wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
nightlight wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm

Obviously. Physical harm to children should be met with a jail cell or bullet... depending on severity

But spiritual abuse is cloudy subject

I could teach my son that there is no sin. That Satan is the true God. That man lives by his own genius. That Jesus is liar. That same sex relations are fine if you think they are fine. That casual sex with multiple partners is the way we are wired Etc
This obviously harms a person spirituality, which will manifest in the mental and physical..... But you cannot make a laws against this.

I mean you could... but you wouldn't be a free society

Our main prerogative is not safety though.

Having freedom in a fallen world is dangerous
So society has 0 interest in a pedophile adopting a child?
Are you reading what I'm writing ???

A person guilty of pedophilia should either be met with a bullet or never see the outside of a jail cell again

One fox two fox red fox blue fox
Highest rates of sexual/emotional/physical abuse come from non-biological parents.

So you advocate for putting children into homes where 1) they will NEVER have the opportunity to know what male-female bonding looks like. 2) are much, much higher rates of abuse.
The craziest part is that it makes no sense for Christians or non-Christians. Even atheists ought to recognize that the ultimate outcome of this is depopulation, which will lead to the extinction of the human race.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

anonymous91 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:46 pm
spiritMan wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:11 pm
nightlight wrote: November 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm
spiritMan wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:36 am
Does society have an interest in preventing the abuse of children?
Obviously. Physical harm to children should be met with a jail cell or bullet... depending on severity

But spiritual abuse is cloudy subject

I could teach my son that there is no sin. That Satan is the true God. That man lives by his own genius. That Jesus is liar. That same sex relations are fine if you think they are fine. That casual sex with multiple partners is the way we are wired Etc
This obviously harms a person spirituality, which will manifest in the mental and physical..... But you cannot make a laws against this.

I mean you could... but you wouldn't be a free society

Our main prerogative is not safety though.

Having freedom in a fallen world is dangerous
So society has 0 interest in a pedophile adopting a child?
Not anymore. A few years ago, you could find a lot of studies showing how harmful it was for children being raised in same-sex homes. What I recall, is that violence and sexual abuse were abnormally high compared to the nuclear family & single parent homes. Lesbian homes were actually the highest in sexual abuse and violence. astronomically high. I can't find any of those studies anymore, too bad I didn't download them when I had a chance. The book burning, and rewriting history has already began.
Exactly. Two things are very clear in studies.
1) Children are more likely to be abused when raised by someone who is not their biological parent.
2) Women are more likely to abuse children than men.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:41 am Instead of dredging up one of the old LGBTQ threads, I will just leave this tidbit here.

The Washington DC Gay Men’s Choir will be singing again at the Temple Visitor’s Center of the Washington DC Temple. Because we all love a good wholesome choir. Because there are so few musical groups in the area to fill the calendar. Because we need to virtue signal.
Ohhhh.

Ooooh.

I just luv a good castrado!

Don't U?

Sir H really doesn't.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Thinker wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:04 am
ithink wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:01 am... If you're being asked, commanded, contracted, or covenanted to do ANYTHING that goes against your moral compass, whoever asked, commanded, contracted or covenanted you to do this new task (it's always new), must politely acknowledge your recusal, and find someone else to do the [dirty] work.
"Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.” - H. L. Mencken
Before you embrace such quotes, worth acknowledging other h.l. Mencken quotes like:

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken
Last edited by hedgehog on November 20th, 2022, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Christianlee wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:48 am
Lizzy60 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:41 am Instead of dredging up one of the old LGBTQ threads, I will just leave this tidbit here.

The Washington DC Gay Men’s Choir will be singing again at the Temple Visitor’s Center of the Washington DC Temple. Because we all love a good wholesome choir. Because there are so few musical groups in the area to fill the calendar. Because we need to virtue signal.
What’s sad is supporting a gay men’s choir can be equated to “virtue signaling” in 2022. Next we’ll have trans people reading the Book of Mormon to potential converts on Temple Square.
Men in lingerie who want to spend time with our children. *Ahem "drag queen primary hour". Don't give them any ideas.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

Worth pointing out that these extreme "I find this morally objectionable but it must have legal protections" ie extreme libertarian ideas. Are found nowhere else in any of these supporters thinking. Including the future of this exact issue. It's temporary verbal trick to weaken right wing opposition that I have seen many times over only to expire the day it passes and when they return to "bake the da** cake.". Never trust a social progressive spouting libertarian ideals. It's a trap.

I wonder how many supporting this because "Prophet and Continuing revelation" will peacefully go along if the next prophet arrives in a few months and rips all of this up and goes full "Benson and Kimball."

You can't have it both ways.

hedgehog
captain of 100

Post by hedgehog »

I used to tease Catholics because of all the bull crap and embarrassment past and current popes heaped upon them. I now respect what they have gone through. Cling to the part of the gospel they know is true. Ignore the swaggering males in charge pushing worldly fads of the day, only findinh peace knowing they will be gone soon.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Christianlee wrote: November 19th, 2022, 11:48 am

What’s sad is supporting a gay men’s choir can be equated to “virtue signaling” in 2022. Next we’ll have trans people reading the Book of Mormon to potential converts on Temple Square.
And then a trans-deaf-mute Motab

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:25 am And then a trans-deaf-mute Motab
This from the comment section pretty much sums it up:

"The fact that I can't tell if this is real or parody is troublesome in itself."

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

hedgehog wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:50 am
Thinker wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:04 am
ithink wrote: November 19th, 2022, 10:01 am... If you're being asked, commanded, contracted, or covenanted to do ANYTHING that goes against your moral compass, whoever asked, commanded, contracted or covenanted you to do this new task (it's always new), must politely acknowledge your recusal, and find someone else to do the [dirty] work.
"Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.” - H. L. Mencken
Before you embrace such quotes, worth acknowledging other h.l. Mencken quotes like:

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken
I personally see no conflict between these two.

Sometimes throats need to be slit.

But you are right.

Mencken was a Satirist.

And a good one.

Not that I always agree with him.

Sir H

OurVoices
captain of 50

Post by OurVoices »

So much compassion. Most of the homeless were abused as children to include CPS stealing them and being raped in foster care. And many are the pure in heart whose God's angels are rescuing while those who judge in their warm homes will not be rescued but will be nuked in the cities or worse.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

marc wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:53 am Whew! The SLT approves! /sarc

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/editoria ... -right-by/
"And, in recent days, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has wisely decided to follow the Supreme Court."

😅😂 Sounds to me like the church leaders handlers told them what to do "or else".

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:58 am

"And, in recent days, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has wisely decided to follow the Supreme Court."

😅😂 Sounds to me like the church leaders handlers told them what to do "or else".
The Church has supported the SCOTUS gay marriage decision from the very beginning. They have just become more blatant in recent days.

https://religionnews.com/2015/03/17/mor ... stle-says/

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

"In announcing its support for the Respect for Marriage Act, the LDS Church recognizes, as the court did in 2015, that the right of same-sex couples to enter the institution of civil marriage was not only protected by the Constitution of the United States but also posed no threat to the marriages, family life or religious beliefs and rights of anyone else."

Already spouting off lies. They pose no threat to religious beliefs or rights of anyone else?
Tell that to the baker, photographer, venue, and others who were sued because they wouldn't participate in a wedding as it went against their religious beliefs.
Such a crock.
And the church is helping to cement this into place.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

CuriousThinker wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:48 pm

"In announcing its support for the Respect for Marriage Act, the LDS Church recognizes, as the court did in 2015, that the right of same-sex couples to enter the institution of civil marriage was not only protected by the Constitution of the United States but also posed no threat to the marriages, family life or religious beliefs and rights of anyone else."

Already spouting off lies. They pose no threat to religious beliefs or rights of anyone else?
Tell that to the baker, photographer, venue, and others who were sued because they wouldn't participate in a wedding as it went against their religious beliefs.
Such a crock.
But don't worry. Follow the Prophet, follow the Prophet. He knows the way. He will never, ever, ever led you astray. You can put your entire salvation in a man!

AugustoBR
captain of 50

Post by AugustoBR »

h_p wrote: November 20th, 2022, 8:02 am
FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:25 am And then a trans-deaf-mute Motab
This from the comment section pretty much sums it up:

"The fact that I can't tell if this is real or parody is troublesome in itself."
Lol... that was a joke!

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

CuriousThinker wrote: November 20th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Such a crock.
Once you see the strings on the puppets, the show is never the same.

Went to church today...couldn't wait to hear the reaction to the church supporting the gay marriage bill...nothing, crickets...nobody is talking about it...all is well in Zion.

-Sacrament talks all referencing Q15 said this and that...not one scripture quoted or referenced.

-A woman in gospel doctrine class gushed over how generous the church is in giving almost a billion dollars in charitable aid (Oaks coference talk) Little did she know that it was simply the church moving fast offerings over to the charitable aid colun on its balance sheet...to make it LOOK LIKE they are giving a lot more...while they are not.

-Same old follow the prophet, follow the prophet, follow the prophet...like a broken record...

Sure wish I would hear FOLLOW JESUS CHRIST even one tenth as much.

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

Joan7 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:24 pm Image
I posted this on my ward's Facebook page, because that is what the Spirit guided me to do. We will see how long it is up, and if I am expelled from the group. My brother is in the ward. I am sure this will upset many. We aren't supposed to ask hard questions, right? But, Jesus cast aside those false traditions, when He started making the church leaders very uncomfortable in His time. So, far they aren't crucifying those that believe God's word, but I expect that will change.
Last edited by Joan7 on November 21st, 2022, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Kit-OTW wrote: November 20th, 2022, 6:45 pm
Kit-OTW wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:24 pm Image
I posted this on my ward's Facebook page, because that is what the Spirit guided me to do. We will see how long it is up, and if I am expelled from the group. My brother is in the ward. I am sure this will upset many. We aren't supposed to ask hard questions, right? But, Jesus cast aside those false traditions, when He started making the church leaders very uncomfortable in His time. So, far they aren't crucifying those that believe God's word, but I expect that will change.
Go girl!

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

hedgehog wrote: November 20th, 2022, 1:09 am I used to tease Catholics because of all the bull crap and embarrassment past and current popes heaped upon them. I now respect what they have gone through. Cling to the part of the gospel they know is true. Ignore the swaggering males in charge pushing worldly fads of the day, only findinh peace knowing they will be gone soon.
I’m more worried about the swaggering “females”… 😂😂😂

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

FoxMammaWisdom wrote: November 20th, 2022, 9:58 am

This is very disturbing. Mitt Romney, and Church Leaders claim to love "LGBTQ Americans". Where do I even start?

First, by enshrining an inversion of marriage into law, cements all active parties to a wicked and active lifestyle. Furthermore, by identifying these people by their sins "LGBTQ Americans" separates them from our brothers and sisters in Christ. If anything, this sounds like they hate these people and wish their souls to be damned. Wickedness never was happiness.

It strikes me funny, that the church pushes us to read The Book of Mormon, but never applies it. One of the lessons taught is that the righteous and the wicked should be living separately from one another, not attempting to commingle.

2 Corinthians 6:14

14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what [a]fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

The act of homosexuality is a particularly egregious sin as can be seen by the complete destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah. What makes this sin particularly dangerous is that those involved in actively practicing it, are in a constant, perpetual state of sinning. They are being brainwashed and gaslighted that they were born this way, and that God made them this way, that there is no need to repent. They are proudly identifying as gay, and the world is worshipping their sinful lusts, which they incorrectly label as love.

The scriptures talk extensively about what happens to people who practice this wickedness. They are given over to a reprobate (wicked) mind, and their hearts are hardened. Romans Chapter 1 goes into even further detail. There are those that claim that they can be gay and Christian this is a lie, they do not serve the same God, and they worship the creature more than the creator.

There is only one reason to enshrine this into law, and that is to allow the LGBT+ community to get a foothold into Christianity so that they can destroy it from within. If their intent was to have the same rights that married couples do, they could have named it something entirely different, rather than subvert the institution of marriage. This is a direct attack on Christianity, and thus God and the official Church's response is to support this garbage, for what, the praise of the world.

What many people do not realize, is that homosexuality is driven primarily by culture and secondarily by the environment. I guarantee TPTB pushing this garbage is well aware of that fact, they rely on it. Our youth are constantly surrounded by this agenda everywhere they go: At school, church, social activities, pop music, social media, tv/movies, magazines, and so forth. What do you think is going to happen? Especially dangerous, is during the teenage years when teenagers go through puberty and their hormones are going crazy.

When I was growing up, I rarely even heard about someone being gay, it was not commonplace. Ever since the horrible 2015 Supreme Court decision this country's morals & ethics have rapidly declined. Currently, I am living in a very conservative part of the country, and I am aware of multiple people who are gay, this would have been unheard of several years ago.

The scriptures teach us that the sin of homosexuality has far-reaching consequences, this sin is not in its own vacuum. There is a reason that the world feels like it is progressively getting more wicked because it is. The wicked are being celebrated and propped up for the world to see, and the righteous are being denigrated and hated by the world, this article is a shining example of the hypocrisy of the world.

I don't think some Church members know how horrendous this is going to be. The next time your kids are in Sunday school, and the teacher is in there teaching your kids about the LGBT+ Agenda, you as a parent won't have a lot of options, other than pulling your kid out of Sunday School (Thanks! for that First Presidency & Mitt Romney)

When you are attending a Fast & Testimony Meeting, and someone decides to share their faith promoting LGBT+ experience you can choose to stay where you are or leave the building. This is going to seep into every facet of the Church.

Don't forget the church-owned schools. Now marriage housing will be open season for LGBT couples coming to a campus near you since not allowing this will now be against "marriage equality". Of course, this also means that the church will have to allow the dating, and marriage of same-sex couples too. (Thanks! for that First Presidency & Mitt Romney)

Of course, the Church will try to hide behind the 12th Article of Faith to defend all of these changes. Nevermind, that they are part of the reason that this marriage equality bill is even a thing. It seems to me, that very soon there is going to be a mass exodus from the Church because they are destroying it from within.

The church is the one place where you ought to be able to get away from the world and its wickedness, not be inculcated & indoctrinated into it. The only safe refuge left now is our own homes, it seems the wise thing to do is to home-school our children, and now teach our children religion from home.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Kit-OTW wrote: November 20th, 2022, 6:45 pm
Kit-OTW wrote: November 19th, 2022, 5:24 pm Image

Very simple. No one outside the Church listened to the Church back then. The Church reiterated its doctrine in the recent statement. They just simply stated that there's no use fighting this anymore because all the nations are insistent on approving these things. They'll only fight it if any government tries to obligate them to do it. The simplest thing the Church would be able to do is to say that they no longer perform marriages in the temple, only sealings. That is down the pike. Not the ridiculous motion that the Church will support gay marriage in the temples and within the Church.

There is biblical precedent for this. Samuel told the Israelites that getting a king would lead them into captivity and fought the Israelites hard. But Israel was insistent on getting a king.

The Lord told Samuel to anoint a king, but also noted to Samuel, "They haven't rejected you. They have rejected Me." Israel wanted to be like everyone else around them.

It seems like, at least in the Gentile nations, the Church members want to be like everyone else around them, rather than obeying the commandments.

This statement reads more like "You guys asked for it, well, here it is! Don't ask us to change, because we won't."

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

An attorney who practices family law explains the religious vs. legal aspects of marriage relative to this Act.

"Travis Anderson on the Church and the "Respect for Marriage Act""
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOOSBWJDmTk