Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by Subcomandante »

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... a9W4aO0UUQ

--BEGIN STATEMENT--

The doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints related to marriage between a man and a woman is well known and will remain unchanged.

We are grateful for the continuing efforts of those who work to ensure the Respect for Marriage Act includes appropriate religious freedom protections while respecting the law and preserving the rights of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters.

We believe this approach is the way forward. As we work together to preserve the principles and practices of religious freedom together with the rights of LGBTQ individuals, much can be accomplished to heal relationships and foster greater understanding.

--END STATEMENT--

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the Church is recognizing that they don't live on an island, but amongst a pluralistic society that has many different opinions on what marriage is. The Church reserves the right to declare its doctrine on marriage as being between a man and a woman, and will continue doing so; that is not going to change nor will it change.

The Church does not believe in FORCING governments to adhere to its definition of marriage. Nor does it believe that the government has the right to FORCE a specific definition of marriage on people who might disagree with this interpretation. The moment the government starts to abuse that power, the Church will be forceful amongst the opponents on that abuse of power.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Re: Official Church statement: Respect for Marriage Act

Post by Dave62 »

I feel like I'm listening to Chamberlain appeasing Hitler.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Subcomandante wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:29 pm https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... a9W4aO0UUQ

--BEGIN STATEMENT--

The doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints related to marriage between a man and a woman is well known and will remain unchanged.

We are grateful for the continuing efforts of those who work to ensure the Respect for Marriage Act includes appropriate religious freedom protections while respecting the law and preserving the rights of our LGBTQ brothers and sisters.

We believe this approach is the way forward. As we work together to preserve the principles and practices of religious freedom together with the rights of LGBTQ individuals, much can be accomplished to heal relationships and foster greater understanding.

--END STATEMENT--

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that the Church is recognizing that they don't live on an island, but amongst a pluralistic society that has many different opinions on what marriage is. The Church reserves the right to declare its doctrine on marriage as being between a man and a woman, and will continue doing so; that is not going to change nor will it change.

The Church does not believe in FORCING governments to adhere to its definition of marriage. Nor does it believe that the government has the right to FORCE a specific definition of marriage on people who might disagree with this interpretation. The moment the government starts to abuse that power, the Church will be forceful amongst the opponents on that abuse of power.
What is a woman...

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Wow...

The AFA (AMERICAN FAMLY ASSOCIATION) has this to say:

"The Respect for Marriage Act would provide federal protection for same-sex marriage. It has ALREADY passed the U.S. House, with 47 Republican votes. If we don’t act now, it will pass the U.S. Senate this week.

The Democrats need 10 Republican senators to support their radical agenda. We need YOU to push back. We need you to flood your Republican senators’ offices and tell them to vote “No!” on the Respect for Marriage Act.

The purpose of the Respect for Marriage Act is to make sure conservatives never restore traditional marriage. The bill would make it very difficult to overturn existing Supreme Court opinions using the same approach we used to reverse Roe v. Wade. That approach entailed working with state legislatures to encourage the courts to continually revisit the issue of abortion, to continually question whether abortion is protected under the 14th Amendment, and to continually tell the truth about the sanctity of human life.

"If the Respect for Marriage Act passes, this strategic approach will become very difficult. The Left knows this – and they are hoping the American public doesn’t care. They are hoping Christians will be divided – and silent. We cannot be silent. We must tell the truth about marriage – that there is simply no such thing as a “same-sex” marriage. Call it what you will – a “civil union,” a “mutual tax-benefit association,” a “formal roommate arrangement”… but it’s not marriage. It’s just not."

So who is the real Christian orgnization here? My vote is AFA.
Last edited by The Red Pill on November 15th, 2022, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexander
the Great
Location: amongst the brotherhood of the Black Robed Regiment; cocked hat and cocked rifle

Post by Alexander »

“LGBTQ rights”

Lmao lol

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Basically we are being told that they respect the rights of others to sin.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Alexander wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:37 pm “LGBTQ rights”

Lmao lol
Exactly... What rights are they talking about???

What about LGBT+ rights? Are pedophiles included? (Hint: yes)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Just another slippery slope.
Last edited by marc on November 15th, 2022, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destroyer
captain of 100

Post by Destroyer »

Subcomandante wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:29 pm The moment the government starts to abuse that power, the Church will be forceful amongst the opponents on that abuse of power.
No.

The pattern of the Church is this: offer some initial resistance, then when it's obvious the opposing arm of the flesh is stronger than ours, give in and flip to the opposing side. Polygamy, 78 priesthood declaration, prop 8.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:47 pm

Lmao lol
Exactly... What rights are they talking about???

What about LGBT+ rights? Are pedophiles included? (Hint: yes)
Might as well talk about our "polygamist brothers and sisters rights" our "child sacrificing brothers and sisters rights"

The church has slid WAY DOWN the slippery slope...

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

The Red Pill wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:59 pm Might as well talk about our "polygamist brothers and sisters rights"
If the Church did this I might start supporting Nelson. But until the setting in order, they sadly never will.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Rights? I suppose if God thought they should have equal rights, perhaps he would have reconsidered destroying Sodom and Gomorrah 🤷

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Lmao lol
I wasn't aware that there were laws in place that prevented people with certain sexual fetishes from marrying someone of the opposite sex.

The problem here is that the church has bought into the "homosexuality as an identity" thing hook, line, and sinker. And this belief is the reason they must change the doctrine on SSM in the future. It would be immoral to tell people they cannot marry if you are simultaneously saying that there is nothing inherently wrong in what they are doing.

Like blacks and the priesthood, it will change and we will be told in the future that no one is sure why it was a policy as no official revelation can be found. That it was likely due to the bigotry of the people of the times. And those who now say it can never change will be explaining why it had to change.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Destroyer wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:55 pm
Subcomandante wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:29 pm The moment the government starts to abuse that power, the Church will be forceful amongst the opponents on that abuse of power.
No.

The pattern of the Church is this: offer some initial resistance, then when it's obvious the opposing arm of the flesh is stronger than ours, give in and flip to the opposing side. Polygamy, 78 priesthood declaration, prop 8.
1- offer initial resistance,
2- flip sides,
3- tell the members position 2 was always part of the church,
4- push members to the fringe if they still believe 1.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

More evidence that the church leadership has lost its mind. Just another example of superimposing their opinion onto the church. I see nowhere where they say they are relying on the Lord for their opinion. They just say they think this is the way to “move forward”. I fear that this is not a move forward.

Destroyer
captain of 100

Post by Destroyer »

Appeasement: the way forward. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

AP Headline

"Mormon church comes out in support of same-sex marriage law"

Disgusting. We are now actively supporting the corruption of our culture and the very foundations of society in some mis guided attempt to avoid the pointing fingers from the great and spacious building.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I am okay with their current position, even that they changed positions. Not okay when they try to convince us they never taught another way. Or when they ostracize members for not keeping personal beliefs current with the Newsroom press releases.

Ebenezer
captain of 100

Post by Ebenezer »

Rev 3:15-16

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

The Red Pill wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:37 pm Wow...

The AFA (AMERICAN FAMLY ASSOCIATION) has this to say:

"The Respect for Marriage Act would provide federal protection for same-sex marriage. It has ALREADY passed the U.S. House, with 47 Republican votes. If we don’t act now, it will pass the U.S. Senate this week.

The Democrats need 10 Republican senators to support their radical agenda. We need YOU to push back. We need you to flood your Republican senators’ offices and tell them to vote “No!” on the Respect for Marriage Act.

The purpose of the Respect for Marriage Act is to make sure conservatives never restore traditional marriage. The bill would make it very difficult to overturn existing Supreme Court opinions using the same approach we used to reverse Roe v. Wade. That approach entailed working with state legislatures to encourage the courts to continually revisit the issue of abortion, to continually question whether abortion is protected under the 14th Amendment, and to continually tell the truth about the sanctity of human life.

"If the Respect for Marriage Act passes, this strategic approach will become very difficult. The Left knows this – and they are hoping the American public doesn’t care. They are hoping Christians will be divided – and silent. We cannot be silent. We must tell the truth about marriage – that there is simply no such thing as a “same-sex” marriage. Call it what you will – a “civil union,” a “mutual tax-benefit association,” a “formal roommate arrangement”… but it’s not marriage. It’s just not."

So who is the real Christian organization here? My vote is AFA.
Abortion and SS Marriage are not going back in Pandora's box. The evangelical wing of the Republican party got used by Bush to start two wars and then they were no longer necessary. They are losing political influence daily.

Taking a defiant stand is heroic, but not very smart.
Selling out is smart, but leaves you weak and without moral ground. LDS chose their position.

And I chose mine. I've been a democrat for some time now.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Serragon wrote: November 15th, 2022, 5:48 pm
Lmao lol
I wasn't aware that there were laws in place that prevented people with certain sexual fetishes from marrying someone of the opposite sex.

The problem here is that the church has bought into the "homosexuality as an identity" thing hook, line, and sinker. And this belief is the reason they must change the doctrine on SSM in the future. It would be immoral to tell people they cannot marry if you are simultaneously saying that there is nothing inherently wrong in what they are doing.

Like blacks and the priesthood, it will change and we will be told in the future that no one is sure why it was a policy as no official revelation can be found. That it was likely due to the bigotry of the people of the times. And those who now say it can never change will be explaining why it had to change.
Several on this forum believe the church will eventually allow homosexual temple marriages, but I can’t imagine it… at least not without major 180’s & maybe years later after older members with more traditional beliefs pass on. And even then, there will be many members who stick with the Family Proclamation.

Like politicians, church leaders are trying to be as wishy-washy as possible so they can please both sides. But I agree that it’s an illogical position to go along with “sexual disorder = how you were born” and “homosexuality is A-ok”… then keeping them out of the club. But since when is logic their priority & when have they cared about including everyone?
Btw, Babies are not born with sexual disorders. Sexual disorders like rapists, pedophiles etc, are learned - usually through abuse.

What do you mean by your 1st sentence - that since heterosexuals have the right to marry, homosexuals should?
Remember, ideally rights are not willy-nilly, but are given
1) for a reason (ie Marriage to help ensure the well-being of future society - children - who come through only heterosexual unions), &
2) Rights carry with them limits - based on the well being of society/children. Eg., You cannot marry your cousin because if you do, your kids have higher chances of genetic defects.

People practicing homosexuality can never reproduce together so there is no reason for them to have the right to marry. I know, not all man/woman couples reproduce - but ALL children come from a man’s sperm & a woman’s egg. And suggesting “rights” are owed to anyone with a sexual disorder does open the door to things like “pedophilia rights.” And that & homosexuality breed a sick society.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

tribrac wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:20 pm Abortion and SS Marriage are not going back in Pandora's box. The evangelical wing of the Republican party got used by Bush to start two wars and then they were no longer necessary. They are losing political influence daily.

Taking a defiant stand is heroic, but not very smart.
Selling out is smart, but leaves you weak and without moral ground. LDS chose their position.

And I chose mine. I've been a democrat for some time now.
Serious?

I’d say this is the logical fallacy of America now for centuries…

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Destroyer wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:55 pm
No.

Conservatism 101.

Purpetual Losers.

One step forward.

Two steps back.

Repeat until they are extinct.

Sir H

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

The Respect for Marriage Act will be used as a hammer to destroy conservative, Godly principles. Mark my words.
Years ago, I had a dream wherein I was shown a store, where only Gays, or sexual alts could shop. My understanding is that the social shift will be so significant, that if you don't "unite with [them] and become acquainted with [their] secret works, and become [their] brethren that [we] may be like unto [them] 3 Nephi 3:7, we will simply not be allowed to participate in life.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

This is going to accelerate fast. All the TBMs are going to shift quite rapidly now to supporting SSM, anyone who does not support SSM is now going against the religion.