Is Remembrance Day really an occult ritual?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Is Remembrance Day really an occult ritual?

Post by Niemand »

I know this isn't a thing in the USA, but today is Remembrance Sunday, the Sunday after November the 11th (Remembrance Day) aka Poppy Day. Sometimes the two coincide, so there is only one Remembrance event.

Before anyone complains. I have relatives who fought in these wars and some of whom were injured or died. That is not the part I object to. The original Remembrance Days were apparently people who were giving thanks for their survival. This is not like this at all. I am questioning whether there is a hidden significance to all this.

On the 11/11, at 11, a minute's silence is observed for the war dead. You can see here that there are a lot of 11s and 1s in there. This pops up in other connexions, notably September the 11th for Americans, which is also a state-promoted ritual of remembrance for the dead.

The siting of Remembrance Day at this time of year is curious. Yes, it is when the armistice was signed to end WW1, but the time of year falls slightly after Halloween which is the Celtic festival of the dead. It also falls near the Hispanic Day of the Dead which ranges from October the 31st to November the 6th.

Flowers in the Day of the Dead

On November 5th, there is also another semi-state ritual, Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes. Big fires are lit and sometimes fake human bodies (Guys etc) are burnt upon them as mock sacrifices. Guy Fawkes seems to be another attempt to emplace a state ritual over a former Celtic fire festival. In some countries in the Far East, fireworks were used to frighten away demons and ghosts. Clapping was also used in those places, similar to the ritual of Thursday clapping taken up during the lockdown for the National Health Service.

The following poppy displays were done recently to commemorate the centenary of WW1. Only about a 1/3 of the money raised went to ex-servicemen apparently. Here we can see Rivers of Blood pouring out of a castle. I saw it as an inappropriate memorial to the war dead at the time.

The pagan Romans had a similar festival called Rosalia or the Festival of the Roses in which they commemorated their fallen troops, and other dead, which fell in May. Wreaths of red roses were placed at military memorials. It seems clear that whoever designed Remembrance Sunday knew of Rosalia and decided to use it as a template. Since a lot of the British ruling class were classically educated I expect this is to be expected.

Romans placing wreaths of flowers at military remembrance.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Is Remembrance Day really an occult ritual?

Post by Niemand »

In Gaelic, the whole of November is known as "an t-Samhain" the exact same name used for Halloween (Oidhche Shamna - the night of Samhain(n)).

It turns out there is an even more recent Remembrance event held in November, started in the 1990s.
Attachments
download-1.jpg
download-1.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 355 times

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Personally I don't care about previous use of symbols. They are what we make them. The words Christian and Mormon began as derogatory insults.
The only holiday I have found no redeeming value in is Halloween.
I have taught my children to find Christ in every Christmas symbol.
I think we like to make more of the origin when we should be focused on the current meaning.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 13th, 2022, 12:29 pm Image

I know this isn't a thing in the USA, but today is Remembrance Sunday, the Sunday after November the 11th (Remembrance Day) aka Poppy Day. Sometimes the two coincide, so there is only one Remembrance event.

Before anyone complains. I have relatives who fought in these wars and some of whom were injured or died. That is not the part I object to. The original Remembrance Days were apparently people who were giving thanks for their survival. This is not like this at all. I am questioning whether there is a hidden significance to all this.

On the 11/11, at 11, a minute's silence is observed for the war dead. You can see here that there are a lot of 11s and 1s in there. This pops up in other connexions, notably September the 11th for Americans, which is also a state-promoted ritual of remembrance for the dead.

The siting of Remembrance Day at this time of year is curious. Yes, it is when the armistice was signed to end WW1, but the time of year falls slightly after Halloween which is the Celtic festival of the dead. It also falls near the Hispanic Day of the Dead which ranges from October the 31st to November the 6th.

Flowers in the Day of the Dead

On November 5th, there is also another semi-state ritual, Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes. Big fires are lit and sometimes fake human bodies (Guys etc) are burnt upon them as mock sacrifices. Guy Fawkes seems to be another attempt to emplace a state ritual over a former Celtic fire festival. In some countries in the Far East, fireworks were used to frighten away demons and ghosts. Clapping was also used in those places, similar to the ritual of Thursday clapping taken up during the lockdown for the National Health Service.

The following poppy displays were done recently to commemorate the centenary of WW1. Only about a 1/3 of the money raised went to ex-servicemen apparently. Here we can see Rivers of Blood pouring out of a castle. I saw it as an inappropriate memorial to the war dead at the time.

The pagan Romans had a similar festival called Rosalia or the Festival of the Roses in which they commemorated their fallen troops, and other dead, which fell in May. Wreaths of red roses were placed at military memorials. It seems clear that whoever designed Remembrance Sunday knew of Rosalia and decided to use it as a template. Since a lot of the British ruling class were classically educated I expect this is to be expected.

Romans placing wreaths of flowers at military remembrance.
The burning of the Guy isn't really a mock sacrifice. It's a reenactment of Guy Fawkes' execution.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 13th, 2022, 3:17 pm The burning of the Guy isn't really a mock sacrifice. It's a reenactment of Guy Fawkes' execution.
Not on the surface, no. But I've been researching folklore for a while, and have found evidence that the bonfire aspect goes back before Guy Fawkes. The fireworks are a new addition, but are similar to ceremonies in the Far East where demons were traditionally supposed to be scared off by big displays.

In Scotland, we tend to call it Bonfire Night rather than Guy Fawkes, out of habit and it falls close to the old Samhain(n) by less than a week. We don't tend to have Guys up here, for whatever reason. (Scottish skinflints?) Certainly the ritual of a mock sacrifice is to be found elsewhere. (Some of the Mummers' Plays also feature fake sacrifices – certainly the Marshfield Paper Boys does near Bath. They kill a character and then bring him back to life. )

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JLHPROF wrote: November 13th, 2022, 2:53 pm Personally I don't care about previous use of symbols. They are what we make them. The words Christian and Mormon began as derogatory insults.
The only holiday I have found no redeeming value in is Halloween.
I have taught my children to find Christ in every Christmas symbol.
I think we like to make more of the origin when we should be focused on the current meaning.
There is, of course, a major political aspect to all this.

Remembrance Sunday has been taken over by politicians etc who use it to promote war, and to justify questionable recent wars.

There is also a level of hypocrisy here, since military charities coin it in over this period, but don't always help out the ex-servicemen who they pay lip service to. Especially in terms of PTSD and the psychological side. We have an inactive ex-soldier in the ward who has this big time, and doesn't seem to have been given proper help to deal with that.

Funnily enough, Halloween does have a redeeming quality. Like Remembrance Sunday, Roman Catholics pray for the dead at this point and their progress through purgatory. You might argue that's a cleaned up version of the old festival but it shows care for our ancestors and those who are lost and is not completely alien to LDS theology.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

Amongst the Gypsies of Scotland, it was not the blazing fire in the middle of the campsite that warded off the evil spirits, but the smoke from the fire.
In the highlands were the ancient or Auld Religion was until recent times still practised, halloween was not an evil day.
It was the day the clan leader or Lord of the Shire or County held court, for it was apon that day that the pagan families brought their sons and daughters to be wed, the young man and his young woman was presented to the Lord of the Shire, whom sat in his seat of Judgement wearing his helmet which had two horns apon it which represented his power and authority, he then sanctioned and Authorised the marriage of the young couple, there could be a multitude of such marriages that day and hence the marriage feast in the presence of the Lord of the shire could last all day and well into the night..........
When paganism gave way to Christianity the stories of the old pagans were distorted, hence the saying the devil had two horns and said gatherings of halloween was were the devil met his subjects and there was one huge scene of debauchery, not so, it was simply the time of the year the pagans of scotland gathered to see their sons and daughters married with the blessing of the Lord of the Shire or clan leader, no doubt it was the same in England and wales in ancient times. If the old accounts I heard long ago are accurate in any degree.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

This is going on just now. The monute's silence was yesterday at 11am and we're having another one at 11am today.

This year the British government and major media outlets have been stirring up division by trying to claim that a pro-Palestinian march was going to disrupt the service in London. The organisers of the service said that they supported freedom of speech and the march didn't go anywhere near the service anyway.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 12th, 2023, 3:55 am This is going on just now. The monute's silence was yesterday at 11am and we're having another one at 11am today.

This year the British government and major media outlets have been stirring up division by trying to claim that a pro-Palestinian march was going to disrupt the service in London. The organisers of the service said that they supported freedom of speech and the march didn't go anywhere near the service anyway.
Just one point, it's always 2 minutes silence on these occasions.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 12th, 2023, 3:55 am This is going on just now. The monute's silence was yesterday at 11am and we're having another one at 11am today.

I think the point is that had a march been planned by anyone other than a pro-Hamas/Palestinian group, it wouldn't have been permitted.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Robin Hood wrote: November 12th, 2023, 4:32 am

Just one point, it's always 2 minutes silence on these occasions.
Yes you're right.