Poll: Which side will take Kherson in Ukraine?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Who will end up with Kherson in Ukraine as the war ends?

Poll ended at November 22nd, 2022, 6:44 am

Russia
73%
Ukraine
27%
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 22
BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Poll: Which side will take Kherson in Ukraine?

Post by BroJones »

Kherson is now one of the focal points in the war in Ukraine.
I wonder what you think will happen to this city.
Thanks for responding.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Poll: Which side will take Kherson in Ukraine?

Post by Niemand »

A narrow vote for the Ukraine.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Niemand wrote: November 9th, 2022, 8:49 am A narrow vote for the Ukraine.
Thx for voting...
I'm not taking sides, but I think Russia will take it finally. Very active right now there

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Reuters is reporting today, November 9, 2022 that Kherson has fallen to Ukrainian forces and that the Russians have withdrawn to positions across the River Dnipro.

The report has been confirmed by Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BroJones wrote: November 9th, 2022, 1:41 pm
Niemand wrote: November 9th, 2022, 8:49 am A narrow vote for the Ukraine.
Thx for voting...
I'm not taking sides, but I think Russia will take it finally. Very active right now there
I think Russia will retain more territory than when it started but Kherson is borderline. They will probably retain the Crimea.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

Russian media confirms withdrawal of Russian troops from the west side of Dneiper River, essentially giving up control of Kherson City and everything west to the Ukrainians. Machine translation below:

Up-to-date information for the past day
An extremely difficult and dramatic day - due to the difficulty of supplying a group of Russian troops in the Kherson region, the very difficult
decision to leave
right bank of the Dnieper and build a line of defense along the left bank. Emotions stifle, without exaggeration, almost everyone - until the last there was hope that this would not happen.

But in fact - there really was a military reason for this,
and politically it is the biggest defeat. Kherson is a documented Russian city, we have lost the capital of a new region.

On the same day Kherson region lost
in the car accident of Deputy Governor Kirill Stremousov, whose death shocked many who knew him. We will have to survive this day, for the sake of future victory and the return of the flag to the Russian city of Kherson.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I voted Russia, because if they want to take it, they will. It sounds more likely than not that they want to take it.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I listened to a report today on how Russia is looking at the general area as it did Leningrad during WWII. It went back and forth with the Germans a couple of times before the Russians finally drove the Germans out for good. It started in the winter with a major push by the Germans, lasted a year and then in the winter the following year is when the Germans were encircled and destroyed. There's a few ways to look at this, I'll put on a few hats(one at a time) as a logistics officer- Russia has fought several winter wars, they understand pull back now, reserve your resources then hit hard in the spring when your troops are rested. This forces the Ukrainians to extend their lines and resources, reclaiming territory that is badly beat up. Russia has been shooting down our HIMARS rockets like crazy. Reports in country are saying something like 80% of the US made rockets are being shot down. The media is claiming that the US provided systems are not being destroyed. I can see that as they are mobile systems. Once the rockets are fired they lower the launchers and redeploy elsewhere, but the point is that the rockets are not reaching their intended targets in significant numbers.
Switching to my Operations/ Battle Staff hat now- There are several key bridges that the Ukrainians have been trying to blow up, and the Russians have consistently kept the HIMARS rockets from damaging the bridges. That is why they were able to retreat in an orderly fashion and protect their equipment and troops. They are going to keep the bridges in tact and give their troops the chance to take a break. As a tactician this is very smart, Putin is simply going to wait out the west. With a Republican house in charge they would reduce the amount of spending on Ukraine, thus less equipment to maintain the fight. Empty HIMARS won't have rockets to launch. In the mean time he continues to use the Iranian provided long distance drones to destroy the electrical grid, loiter over positions- harassing troops, and encouraging the gangs that are siphoning off weapons provided by the west that are being sold into the black market- helping to destabilize Europe and NATO as a while.

Now I'll combine my INTEL, INFO OPS, red team hats with the CO's hat- Putin knows Europe will be starving for energy this winter along with prices going up in the US and Canada, he will continue to capitalize on this. He has already worked with the Chinese and Venezuela along with the other members of BRICS and those countries are quickly decoupling from the dollar. Russia has put several of their subs out, more than the US, and while they are known to be noisier and easier to track than our subs, they carry larger payloads, and a handful of their subs carry Short Range ballistic missiles. They can launch while they are still in port and hit most of Northern Europe. We see this as England is now on a war footing with Russia. Russia knows England has been openly supporting Ukraine and and British troops have been captured by Russian forces. These are not contractors. They don't have to go nuclear. Russian subs could launch 100 or so tactical ballistic missiles in to key ports, railyards and other disembarkation points that would put Europe, already in the middle of an energy and infrastructure crisis, into total disarray. This would splinter NATO. I think this is the time when we se the Bear put it's hand on the Lion and the lion backs down- It could refer to both the Lion of Ukraine and the Lion of England simultaneously.

My last thought on this is that some event has to occur that takes the eyes of the US off of Russia, even if for only a few days. My thought is that now that the election is over and while our strategic reserve is dessimated, the Chinese will bypass Taiwan and simply surround it with a blockade. Nothing would be allowed out of Chinese ports to the west. This would throw our supply chain into disarray. Then in early spring China attacks the West coast of the US while Russia simultaneously sends his troops back into Ukraine and Northern Europe. The lack of energy is going to be the soft underbelly for Europe. There will be other factors like the muslims throughout Europe causing chaos and more riots, but we won't hear about it on our news over here. Without fuel and Russian feedstock for fertilizer farmers throughout Europe will see production come to a halt. This will be a 3-4 year war and we will not be able to help them out this time as we will be too divided here in the states to help them out. Israel will see the US (Biden and the Democrats) do not have their back. When they see Iran getting closer to a nuclear bomb they'll take their chance and launch a strike into Iran. This will bring condemnation from the member states of the UN and a call for support for Iran. Several countries will jump on board along with Russia.

Sorry that was kind of long, but as I wargame it out- this is where I see Ukraine going.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

moving2zion wrote: November 9th, 2022, 7:02 pm I listened to a report today on how Russia is looking at the general area as it did Leningrad during WWII. It went back and forth with the Germans a couple of times before the Russians finally drove the Germans out for good. It started in the winter with a major push by the Germans, lasted a year and then in the winter the following year is when the Germans were encircled and destroyed. There's a few ways to look at this, I'll put on a few hats(one at a time) as a logistics officer- Russia has fought several winter wars, they understand pull back now, reserve your resources then hit hard in the spring when your troops are rested. This forces the Ukrainians to extend their lines and resources, reclaiming territory that is badly beat up. Russia has been shooting down our HIMARS rockets like crazy. Reports in country are saying something like 80% of the US made rockets are being shot down. The media is claiming that the US provided systems are not being destroyed. I can see that as they are mobile systems. Once the rockets are fired they lower the launchers and redeploy elsewhere, but the point is that the rockets are not reaching their intended targets in significant numbers.
Switching to my Operations/ Battle Staff hat now- There are several key bridges that the Ukrainians have been trying to blow up, and the Russians have consistently kept the HIMARS rockets from damaging the bridges. That is why they were able to retreat in an orderly fashion and protect their equipment and troops. They are going to keep the bridges in tact and give their troops the chance to take a break. As a tactician this is very smart, Putin is simply going to wait out the west. With a Republican house in charge they would reduce the amount of spending on Ukraine, thus less equipment to maintain the fight. Empty HIMARS won't have rockets to launch. In the mean time he continues to use the Iranian provided long distance drones to destroy the electrical grid, loiter over positions- harassing troops, and encouraging the gangs that are siphoning off weapons provided by the west that are being sold into the black market- helping to destabilize Europe and NATO as a while.

Now I'll combine my INTEL, INFO OPS, red team hats with the CO's hat- Putin knows Europe will be starving for energy this winter along with prices going up in the US and Canada, he will continue to capitalize on this. He has already worked with the Chinese and Venezuela along with the other members of BRICS and those countries are quickly decoupling from the dollar. Russia has put several of their subs out, more than the US, and while they are known to be noisier and easier to track than our subs, they carry larger payloads, and a handful of their subs carry Short Range ballistic missiles. They can launch while they are still in port and hit most of Northern Europe. We see this as England is now on a war footing with Russia. Russia knows England has been openly supporting Ukraine and and British troops have been captured by Russian forces. These are not contractors. They don't have to go nuclear. Russian subs could launch 100 or so tactical ballistic missiles in to key ports, railyards and other disembarkation points that would put Europe, already in the middle of an energy and infrastructure crisis, into total disarray. This would splinter NATO. I think this is the time when we se the Bear put it's hand on the Lion and the lion backs down- It could refer to both the Lion of Ukraine and the Lion of England simultaneously.

My last thought on this is that some event has to occur that takes the eyes of the US off of Russia, even if for only a few days. My thought is that now that the election is over and while our strategic reserve is dessimated, the Chinese will bypass Taiwan and simply surround it with a blockade. Nothing would be allowed out of Chinese ports to the west. This would throw our supply chain into disarray. Then in early spring China attacks the West coast of the US while Russia simultaneously sends his troops back into Ukraine and Northern Europe. The lack of energy is going to be the soft underbelly for Europe. There will be other factors like the muslims throughout Europe causing chaos and more riots, but we won't hear about it on our news over here. Without fuel and Russian feedstock for fertilizer farmers throughout Europe will see production come to a halt. This will be a 3-4 year war and we will not be able to help them out this time as we will be too divided here in the states to help them out. Israel will see the US (Biden and the Democrats) do not have their back. When they see Iran getting closer to a nuclear bomb they'll take their chance and launch a strike into Iran. This will bring condemnation from the member states of the UN and a call for support for Iran. Several countries will jump on board along with Russia.

Sorry that was kind of long, but as I wargame it out- this is where I see Ukraine going.
It's plausible. I don't see a scenario that doesn't involve Israel attacking Iran.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

It is well nigh impossible to get at the facts of this conflict by going through 'western' media sources. Of course, propaganda is a useful weapon for either side.

In order to more closely understand the sources of conflict between The West (Ukraine as proxy) and the Russian Federation, it is essential to do a serious dive into Russian/Ukrainian history - 1.) prior to the Soviet Union; 2.) after the breakup of the Soviet Union; 3.) the Ukrainian presidential coup of 2014 instigated by The West; 4.) the Minsk Agreements of 2015; 5.) the deployment of multiple bio-labs in Ukraine & funded in part by the US Pentagon along the Minsk Agreement defined borders with Russia; 6.) the Azov Battalion neo-nazi atrocities against ethnic Russian people living in the Donbas region since the 2015 Minsk Agreements; 7.) encroachment into Russian Federated territory by Western trained Azov-Battalian troops; 8.) sanctions against Russian industries & seizure of Russian assets - which seem to have served to punish EU more than Russia; 9.) destruction of Russian Nord stream pipeline.

Those are only a few provocations against the Russian Federation. The 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis which came close to a nuclear exchange - was precipitated by less provocation. Castro was game to initiate the first strike against the US. Khrushchev had better sense.

From February 24 until now, I have heard President Putin repeatedly denounce the use of nuclear weapons. The West loves the 'nuclear' mantra. I recall Joe Biden as VP to Obama in the first 4 years of that administration talk about the threat of "Dirty Bombs" in the US. Oddly, access to Lugol's iodine solution became nearly impossible to purchase during the early months of Obama's first term. In my personal opinion - we have madmen at the helm of our western nations.

It's important to do a little search into what entities - in The West - are actually benefiting from this conflict. It certainly is NOT the soldiers on either side of the conflict. Putin has extended numerous invitations to have third party - including the United Nations - moderate negotiation between the conflicting parties - to no avail.

As to Kherson - it is my understanding that over 50,000 civilians were evacuated under Russian protection from the Kherson region due to the threat of the Dniepro dam being destroyed upstream from that population.

There are a few sources online which help give us a more comprehensive understanding of what is and has been at the root of the conflict between The West and the Russian Federation. I'll post a few links, but you can find many sources on alternative platforms if you have the time and inclination.
//www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/9/what-is ... levant-now

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I kind of doubt the military that would hand out wooden guns to its front line soldiers is "about to collapse" after some minor alleged setbacks, which is what we have been told since April. So clearly, I can't believe the news media. Either they are pathetically lazy and stupid or they are lying.

I have no idea what's going on over there and I can't believe the propaganda coming out of western institutions because I know it's false. And I'm certainly not going to believe Russia on it.

I don't keep up on the news, but just from visiting forums and the little news I do get, almost everything being said is designed to manipulate rather than inform and it uses extremely misleading information. It is clear there are no experts fact checking these pieces. I wonder how they can get away with it, but then I remember the US hasn't fought a near-peer in 77 years. Americans have no idea what that looks like. They think we just fly a flag at the superbowl and then the troops come home in a few months and anything else is a failure. War is not that easy, especially when fought the Russian way.

If I had a dollar for every Quora answer or news article that talks about how they are abandoning their tanks as a sign they are losing the war, I would buy a cabin in the woods. Abandoning equipment instead of replacing it IS their strategy. Forty-mile-long supply columns that have to take breaks is Russian military DOCTRINE. I imagine they are comfortable with the way the war is going. They don't like it and they don't like casualties, but every leader who is not a sociopath doesn't like war. (Not saying they aren't sociopaths.) It's a different culture born out of endless war. Their perspective is not our perspective and we should all be glad we live in a place that doesn't have that kind of perspective (except whoever the poster is who lives in Mexico, sorry about that).

Russia is willing to throw 20 million of their own people into the Gulag and starve large populations of their countrymen. I don't think winning a war in Ukraine, a country not exactly know for great warriors, is beyond their grasp. They haven't won because they haven't chosen to win. I don't know why. Maybe they want NATO to feel like they don't need to build up anymore, maybe they want to "sucker" a NATO member into starting world war 3 (great reset) or maybe they are helping prep the Iran end game by staying too busy to get involved there. Whatever the case, anything saying Russia is on the verge of collapse is highly suspect.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

harakim wrote: November 10th, 2022, 11:56 pm I don't think winning a war in Ukraine, a country not exactly know for great warriors, is beyond their grasp.
I'm no fan of Zelensky himself but I don't know where you draw this conclusion from. The Ukraine was one of the main fronts for much of WW1 & WW2, the home of Nestor Makhno (who held both the Bolsheviks and Tsarists at bay for a substantial period), many of the Cossack communities etc. The Ukraine was the main non-Muslim centre of resistance to Bolshevism, Stalin and the Soviet government in the western USSR. They had an armed revolt going on against Moscow right into the 1950s. The Ukraine has been the centre of war for centuries if not millenia, in fact the name itself means "frontier".

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Niemand wrote: November 11th, 2022, 2:52 am
harakim wrote: November 10th, 2022, 11:56 pm I don't think winning a war in Ukraine, a country not exactly know for great warriors, is beyond their grasp.
I'm no fan of Zelensky himself but I don't know where you draw this conclusion from. The Ukraine was one of the main fronts for much of WW1 & WW2, the home of Nestor Makhno (who held both the Bolsheviks and Tsarists at bay for a substantial period), many of the Cossack communities etc. The Ukraine was the main non-Muslim centre of resistance to Bolshevism, Stalin and the Soviet government in the western USSR. They had an armed revolt going on against Moscow right into the 1950s. The Ukraine has been the centre of war for centuries if not millenia, in fact the name itself means "frontier".
I'm not saying they don't engage in a lot of wars, they just don't win them. They might be able to keep a Russian-style army at bay or offer resistance, but the end is inevitable.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Update on Kherson today, November 30:

Reporter Patrick Lancaster is a US Navy Veteran living and working as a reporter in Donbas since 2014, and is married to an ethnic Russian from that region. He is dedicated to giving voice to those who have been victim to Ukrainian persecution despite the 2015 Minsk Agreements allowing their continued allegiance as part of the Russian Federation

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

buffalo_girl wrote: November 30th, 2022, 11:31 am Update on Kherson today, November 30:

Reporter Patrick Lancaster is a US Navy Veteran living and working as a reporter in Donbas since 2014, and is married to an ethnic Russian from that region. He is dedicated to giving voice to those who have been victim to Ukrainian persecution despite the 2015 Minsk Agreements allowing their continued allegiance as part of the Russian Federation
Informative - thanks, BuffaloGirl.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Niemand wrote: November 11th, 2022, 2:52 am
I think that's the point.
Despite all of this resistence and heroism, they still lost on every occasion.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

There's no question in my mind that this conflict is based on the manufacture of weapons. Secret Combinations create conflict in places the Big Boys can manipulate & manage into regime change, social upheaval, displacement of populations, and finally conflict between nations. Since WWII, The West has been able to manage this process to its advantage.

I'm not so sure Russia - as it stands now - will be an easy pushover. Western sanctions have backfired and now the EU is questioning why the United States & UK are running this particular show at the expense of NATO countries.

Maybe we are at that place described in The Book of Mormon when wealth cannot be retained and possessions become 'slippery'. Those addicted to 'power' will eat their own tails in their greed frenzy. It may be an interesting, and terribly eventful year to come.

Brother Jones, you might like watching this 'older' (1991) feature film describing how 'Western Intelligence' - including UK MI-6 - and US military advisors played chess with the crumbling Soviet Union and managed to sabotage a hope for an open & free Russian Federation.

It is rated R, but only a couple of 'off' references & that word people seem to chronically use for emphasis & to get an R-rating. Nothing graphic. Glorious music & real footage of Leningrad (St Petersburg), Moscow & the Russian villages at the time the Soviet Union was falling apart.

The Russia House