The real deal, what is the new and everlasting covenant?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

The real deal, what is the new and everlasting covenant?

Post by kirtland r.m. »

It's fairly simple really. Here is a sample from a linked article part way down this post, and also(bottom) quotes printed at latterdaysaintmag.com..

President Joseph Fielding Smith defines the new and everlasting covenant in these words: What is the new and everlasting covenant? I regret to say that there are some members of the Church who are misled and misinformed in regard to what the new and everlasting covenant really is. The new and everlasting covenant is the sum total of all gospel covenants and obligations, and I want to prove it. In the 66th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, verse 2, I read:

"Verily I say unto you, blessed are you for receiving mine everlasting covenant, even the fullness of my gospel, sent forth unto the children of men, that they might have life and be made partakers of the glories which are to be revealed in the last days, as it was written by the prophets and apostles in days of old.

Each ordinance and requirement given to man for the purpose of bringing to pass his salvation and exaltation is a covenant. Baptism for the remission of sins is a covenant. When this ordinance was revealed in this dispensation, the Lord called it "a new and an everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning."

This covenant was given in the beginning and was lost to men through apostasy, therefore, when it was revealed again, it became to man a new covenant, although it was from the beginning, and it is everlasting since its effects upon the individual endure forever. Then again, whenever there is need for repentance, baptism is the method, or law, given of the Lord by which the remission of sins shall come, and so this law is everlasting. (Doctrines of Salvation, 1:152.)Quotes are from President Joseph Fielding Smithhttps://www.ldsliving.com/president-pac ... is/s/81522

The New and Everlasting Covenant

God’s motivation in instituting laws is, as the Prophet Joseph Smith explained, “to instruct the weaker intelligences,” allowing fallen humanity to gradually “advance in knowledge” so that eventually they “may be exalted with [God] himself38.” The Syriac version of the Testament of Adam expresses the belief of early Christians who taught that the Savior Himself revealed the plan of salvation to Adam, bringing the eventual possibility of godhood within the reach of fallen mankind:39

And on this account [God] taught me in the midst of Paradise when I picked the fruit in which death was hiding. And he said to me, “Adam, do not fear. A god you desired to be; a god I will make you. However, not right now but after a space of [many] years. Right now I am going to drive you from paradise, and I will bring you down into the earth of thorns. Your back I will bend [and] your knees will quake from old age overtaking you. I am delivering you up to death. The maggot and worm will devour your body.

And after a short time my mercy [will be] revealed to you: I will go down to you. For your sake, Adam, I become an infant. For your sake, Adam, I ascend the cross. For your sake, Adam, I open the tomb.”

The set of laws and ordinances that were given to Adam and Eve are known collectively as “The New and Everlasting Covenant.” This comprehensive covenant includes the baptismal and temple covenants as well as covenants made at other times. Because God is everlasting, the covenant is also “everlasting”: it was first given to Adam, and later to all subsequent prophets.40 Because it is given anew each time the gospel is restored, the Lord also describes it as “new.”41

Elder Bruce R. McConkie’s name for the first part of the New and Everlasting Covenant is the “Covenant of Salvation.” It is “accepted by men in the waters of baptism”43 and is confirmed by the laying on of hands. Adam and Eve were the first mortals to receive this covenant, as Enoch recounts.Gospel Principles, Gospel Principles, p. 98. See Jeremiah 31:31-34; Ezekiel 37:26.https://latterdaysaintmag.com/article-1-398/

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Re: The real deal, what is the new and everlasting covenant?

Post by JLHPROF »

Everlasting covenant was made between three personages before the
organization of this earth, and relates to their dispensation of things to men on
the earth; these personages, according to Abraham’s record, are called God
the first, the Creator; God the second, the Redeemer; and God the third, the
witness or Testator. (TPJS 190) May 1841.

This is the covenant. The plan by which these three established this creation, put in place the eternal laws by which we gain bodies, the Savior provides redemption, and we become exalted like our Father.
The covenant is the plan with ALL the laws and ordinances in place since the covenant was made and creation began. It's the same as was done for other worlds.
It has its subsets like the baptismal covenant and the new and everlasting covenant of marriage. But they're all part of the eternal covenant that we're living through.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

"If you can confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord,
And believe in your heart that He arose from the dead,
Then you are saved"

That is the New Covenant summed up in great simplicity ..........

Look to Calvary were our Lord Jesus purchased us with His precious blood...........

cab
captain of 1,000
Location: ♫ I am a Mormon! ♫ And... dang it... a Mormon just believes! ♫

Post by cab »

With every passing talk about the “covenant path” I become more convinced that the church has no idea what the new and everlasting covenant actually is.