How I Would Disenfranchise Voters AKA Fix Voting

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
briznian
captain of 100

How I Would Disenfranchise Voters AKA Fix Voting

Post by briznian »

It seems that the general thought in America is how to find ways to get more people voting. I believe that is the wrong direction. More voters doesn't fix any problems. You want more people involved, not low-information voters. I am the opposite. I would have fewer people vote. Over the years I've considered a few rules, amendments if you will, to limit who can vote. These are just a few of my thoughts and subject to change over time.
  1. No person can vote in any election who is not a certified tax payer.
  2. No person can vote in any federal election who is not a 4th generation American or greater.
  3. No person can vote in any state that they have not had permanent residence in for less than 5 years.
Rationale:
  1. In order to vote you must have some skin in the game. I considered limiting to land-owners only but am willing to give a little leeway for those poor souls choosing to live in big cities.
  2. This is the amount of time that I feel it takes for a person and their posterity to assimilate and no longer hold preferences for their heritage over American culture.
  3. Just as nobody in Texas likes Californians moving in and bringing their values, Californians resent Texans doing the same. It takes time to learn why the people in your new state act and believe the way they do. I have lived in multiple states in my lifetime and I know that I still harbor ideals from my former states.
Anyway, there you go. Feel free add or sharpen these ideas.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: How I Would Disenfranchise Voters AKA Fix Voting

Post by Original_Intent »

I agree that the system needs to be revamped. You rationale show the thoughts you have to be well-considered, but I don't agree with 2 and 3. There are just too many outlier cases such as a person that for whatever reason has to move often, they could find themselves never being able to vote for no good reason. Perhaps only allow them to vote in federal elections and not state and local elections for the 5 years. This could be done.
The 3rd or 4th generation thing I feel is completely bad idea. I understand the motive, but it just strikes me as a terrible idea. Much like term limit ideas, I see the good intention behind the idea, but good intentions rarely deliver the desired results.

Generally, I think the better approach is that most "governance" occurs within the individual and the family. Beyond that, within a small unit similar to a ward in size (but for civil purposes) and beyond that a stake. That way if there is a large influx of people from another state, if they concentrate enough that they can change a neighborhood, they largely suffer locally from their own bad government. In short, the more central powers should be weak and generalized, the more local the more specific and stronger. Also, any lower governmental unit can move to nullify any action of higher. Of course they cannot simply become scofflaws, they would need to make a case for nullification in court. The advantage would be that if numerous such neighborhood bodies moved to nullify a federal action, it could more easily create a check and balance against the central power.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Number 1 will not work as everyone is a tax payer in some form or another, be it income, property or sales taxes.

bjornagain
captain of 100

Post by bjornagain »

briznian wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:48 pm
[*]No person can vote in any federal election who is not a 4th generation American or greater.
A great idea had it been implemented decades ago. We're way past the point of fixing this country with election reform.

But when we rebuild from the ashes, I would add something like this to the rule books.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

briznian wrote: November 7th, 2022, 12:48 pm [*]In order to vote you must have some skin in the game. I considered limiting to land-owners only
Bill Gates owns most of the farmland now so will get most of the votes!
No person can vote in any state that they have not had permanent residence in for less than 5 years.
There are certain lines of work which would be affected by this, notably the military, returning LDS missionaries, seamen and so on.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Only land owners should be allowed to vote. Anyone not smart enough to own land has no business making decisions regarding freedom. Only citizens of at least 5 years should be allowed to vote. NO green cards.

There should NEVER be a person that is not fluent in English, or that does not have a dog in the fight (owns real estate), or that does not adhere to the principles of the Constitution. Non qualified voters should be given the death penalty if they attempt to vote.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

If a person is receiving monetary aid from the gov't, they should not be allowed to vote.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Disagree with all of this.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Fred wrote: November 7th, 2022, 5:58 pm Only land owners should be allowed to vote.
By 2030, we're told we'll own nothing, and people are losing land and property as a result of recent lockdowns.