Contradicting Truths.

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Contradicting Truths.

Post by John Tavner »

I have a buddy who is looking for some talk on Joseph Smith about contradicting truths.

I know Joseph talked about it, but I don't remember off-hand as I don't really focus on LDS History stuff anymore.

Anyways, I knew some of you fine folk on this forum would know or have an idea, so I am asking for your help.

Does anyone have sources on a talk or talks about contradicting truths something to do with mercy and justice, and tongues and babbling or something to that affect? (as an aside, I personally am not supporting the talks or discourses or whatever, I'm just trying to help a friend out.)

Thanks for you help in advance - and remember, God is so aware of you and loves you, even if you don't believe it. He is still there, the Savior still gave His life for you so you might live and He would do it all over again if you were the only one on earth, because He sees the manifest potential of God in you.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Contradicting Truths.

Post by Luke »

The doctrine that the Presbyterians and Methodists have quarreled so much about—one in grace, always in grace, or falling away form grace, I will say a word about. They are both wrong. Truth takes a road between them both, for while the Presbyterian says: “Once in grace, you cannot fall”; the Methodist says: “You can have grace today, fall from it tomorrow, next day have grace again; and so follow on, changing continually.” But the doctrine of the Scriptures and the spirit of Elijah would show them both false, and take a road between them both; for, according to the Scripture, if men have received the good word of God, and tasted of the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, it is impossible to renew them again, seeing they have crucified the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame; so there is a possibility of falling away; you could not be renewed again, and the power of Elijah cannot seal against this sin, for this is a reserve made in the seals and power of the Priesthood.

(10 March 1844, TPJS 338-339)

Nauvoo, Illinois, June 5th, 1844.
Dear Sir.—He pasa Ek-klesia, &c., together with your note, has safely reached me, and I feel very thankful for so valuable a treasure. The design, the propriety, the wisdom of letting every sect tell its own story, and the elegant manner in which the work appears, have filled my breast with encomiums upon it, wishing you God speed.
Although all is not gold that shines, any more than every religious creed is sanctioned with the so eternally sure word of prophecy, satisfying all doubt with “Thus saith the Lord;” yet, “by proving contraries,” truth is made manifest,” and a wise man can search out “old paths, wherein righteous men held communion with Jehovah, and were exalted through obedience.
I shall be pleased to furnish further information at a proper time, and render you such further service as the work and vast extension of our Church may demand for the benefit of truth, virtue and holiness.
Your work will be suitably noticed in our papers for your benefit.
With great respect, I have the honor to be,
Your obedient servant,
Joseph Smith.
L. D. Rupp, Esq., Lancaster City, Pa.

(DHC 6:428)

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Luke wrote: November 6th, 2022, 6:29 pm The doctrine that the Presbyterians and Methodists have quarreled so much about—one in grace, always in grace, or falling away form grace, I will say a word about. They are both wrong. Truth takes a road between them both, for while the Presbyterian says: “Once in grace, you cannot fall”; the Methodist says: “You can have grace today, fall from it tomorrow, next day have grace again; and so follow on, changing continually.” But the doctrine of the Scriptures and the spirit of Elijah would show them both false, and take a road between them both; for, according to the Scripture, if men have received the good word of God, and tasted of the powers of the world to come, if they shall fall away, it is impossible to renew them again, seeing they have crucified the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame; so there is a possibility of falling away; you could not be renewed again, and the power of Elijah cannot seal against this sin, for this is a reserve made in the seals and power of the Priesthood.

(10 March 1844, TPJS 338-339)

Nauvoo, Illinois, June 5th, 1844.
Dear Sir.—He pasa Ek-klesia, &c., together with your note, has safely reached me, and I feel very thankful for so valuable a treasure. The design, the propriety, the wisdom of letting every sect tell its own story, and the elegant manner in which the work appears, have filled my breast with encomiums upon it, wishing you God speed.
Although all is not gold that shines, any more than every religious creed is sanctioned with the so eternally sure word of prophecy, satisfying all doubt with “Thus saith the Lord;” yet, “by proving contraries,” truth is made manifest,” and a wise man can search out “old paths, wherein righteous men held communion with Jehovah, and were exalted through obedience.
I shall be pleased to furnish further information at a proper time, and render you such further service as the work and vast extension of our Church may demand for the benefit of truth, virtue and holiness.
Your work will be suitably noticed in our papers for your benefit.
With great respect, I have the honor to be,
Your obedient servant,
Joseph Smith.
L. D. Rupp, Esq., Lancaster City, Pa.

(DHC 6:428)
Thanks, for getting those for me, Luke!

Do you know if Brigham, Heber, o Truman G or Hugh B brown, J Reuben et al said anything about it as well or extrapolated on that saying? With a talk about Contradicting Truths or something? I seem to recall someone using that source material and attempting to extrapolate on it.

Seeker144k
captain of 100

Post by Seeker144k »

John Tavner wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:33 pm I have a buddy who is looking for some talk on Joseph Smith about contradicting truths.

I know Joseph talked about it, but I don't remember off-hand as I don't really focus on LDS History stuff anymore.

Anyways, I knew some of you fine folk on this forum would know or have an idea, so I am asking for your help.

Does anyone have sources on a talk or talks about contradicting truths something to do with mercy and justice, and tongues and babbling or something to that affect? (as an aside, I personally am not supporting the talks or discourses or whatever, I'm just trying to help a friend out.)

Thanks for you help in advance - and remember, God is so aware of you and loves you, even if you don't believe it. He is still there, the Savior still gave His life for you so you might live and He would do it all over again if you were the only one on earth, because He sees the manifest potential of God in you.
Do you mean where he said God will say something is wrong in one instance and right in another, and that God will reject one person from doing something but support another person in doing the same thing? That type of contradicting truth?

~Seeker

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

Seeker144k wrote: November 8th, 2022, 9:10 am
John Tavner wrote: November 6th, 2022, 5:33 pm I have a buddy who is looking for some talk on Joseph Smith about contradicting truths.

Do you mean where he said God will say something is wrong in one instance and right in another, and that God will reject one person from doing something but support another person in doing the same thing? That type of contradicting truth?

~Seeker
I'm aware of that quote as well. Supposedly it is a talk or commentary on that, I think. but it included what Luke stated above. Perhaps there is more to the quote? It has been a while since I've read it, I think he was giving a discourse when he mentioned that.