Light Up the CEO's bank balance

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Light Up the CEO's bank balance

Post by Niemand »

Sister Eubank approves.
https://www.market.unicefusa.org/inspir ... the-world/
Latter-day Saint Charities and UNICEF USA have been in partnership since 2013, providing immunizations, supporting children and families with emergency response and meeting the education and development needs of refugees. Through our collective impact, UNICEF USA and Latter-day Saint Charities can reach the most vulnerable children and families and ensure they are able to survive and thrive.
https://www.unicefusa.org/about/faq/ceo-salary-email
UNICEF USA President & CEO Michael J. Nyenhuis' salary, at $620,000, is less than 1% of all funds raised for children
Well, that's a relief.
Last edited by Niemand on November 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Light Up the CEO's bank balance

Post by Niemand »

American Red Cross, another Light the World charity.

https://www.comparably.com/companies/am ... e-salaries
Gail McGovern had been in that position since 2008. The [American] Red Cross also acknowledged that McGovern’s total salary as CEO in 2018 was $694,000, but highlighted the enormity of her duties as leader of such a large humanitarian organization.
Well of course. And the enormity of her house.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Next on the list UNHCR. I can't track down Fillippo Grandi's salary, but I have determined he is a multimillionaire and oh look...
On 11 November 2015 UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon announced his intention to appoint Grandi as the next United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees to take office in 2016. On 23 November 2020, the United Nations General Assembly re-elected Grandi for an additional 2.5 year mandate as High Commissioner for Refugees.

Since 2019, Grandi has been a member of the World Economic Forum High-Level Group on Humanitarian Investing, co-chaired by Børge Brende, Kristalina Georgieva and Peter Maurer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Grandi

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

This year’s locations, tripled over last year:

https://www.ldsliving.com/where-have-th ... st/s/11115

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

It seems to be curiously difficult to track down the salaries of some of these CEOs!

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Niemand wrote: November 5th, 2022, 3:18 pm It seems to be curiously difficult to track down the salaries of some of these CEOs!
Yeah, like the unpaid clergy we have in the Mormon Church!

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

what did brigham say, about waxing fat? 🤔

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Am I right in thinking these machines do not accept cash either?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Why are members of the church not giving to local people who are in need?

I am reminded of an experience our family had a number of years ago. We always donated to our ward at Christmas to help provide for families in the ward. One year, because of circumstances, we had not yet donated and it was only a week before Christmas. My husband asked the Bishop if he still needed funds, and the Bishop said people had been generous and he felt the Christmas needs of the ward were taken care of. After we got home from church, we got a call from the Bishop who asked if we were still interested in donating, as he had just received a call from another ward in the stake who had some emergency needs come up. Yes, of course, he said. We were then told that the other ward’s Bishop would come to our home to get whatever we could give.

This is how charity should be done. Family, neighbors, local. Then surplus can go to areas that have need, like recent tornado and hurricane victims in wards around the world. With the system of Bishops, Stake Presidents, and Area leaders, we should not be patting ourselves on the back for partnering with the UN and the Red Cross. Too much money into the wrong pockets in those cases. You might as well send a check to Hillary or Joe.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Silly Lizzy. Local people, especially those of northern European descent have no needs. If they are poor it is because of their bad choices and we would be doing them a disservice by rescuing them before they learn the full lessons from their choices. We don't want to enable them.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Serious now. Did you know that the closer the giver is to the receiver the feelings of joy, brotherhood, and connection is stronger in both the giver and receiver?

The receiver is less likely to take the charity for granted or demand more. The giver is more likely to help others in the future.

Corporate charity, in the form of government handouts, and big business "nonprofits" rob people from the joy of giving and receiving.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Remember that ward secret Santa you helped with 2 years ago? The one where you bought a specific item or gift card and delivered it to the Bishopric?

Do you even remember what you bought? Did you ever know who it went to or if they needed it? Did they tell you thanks? Did you get any joy out of the exchange?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

tribrac wrote: November 5th, 2022, 5:16 pm Remember that ward secret Santa you helped with 2 years ago? The one where you bought a specific item or gift card and delivered it to the Bishopric?

Do you even remember what you bought? Did you ever know who it went to or if they needed it? Did they tell you thanks? Did you get any joy out of the exchange?
This example is still better than putting a charge on your credit card that will go into a general fund that may provide an abortion for a young black girl in Africa, or a lavish meal for some do-gooder committee.

One time the Bishop’s wife told me that my contribution went to buy a new coat for someone in the ward, and she wanted to share with my how thrilled the woman was with the gift. I only gave money, someone else knew the need and delivered the gift, but because she shared the reaction of the receiver, I remember it to this day.

Definitely, closer is better. That’s why we have stewardships. That’s probably why I am annoyed that the Church, with all its leadership structure, wealth, and hands-on feet-on-the-ground members who can determine needs, promotes donations to organizations proven to waste money and do actual harm at times.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Cue the pictures on social media of Mormons in front of the giving machines, so proud of their donations.🥰

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

https://cis.org/Report/UNHCR-Corruption ... pots-Price

UNHCR is funding resettlement and population transfer.
A story about alleged corruption in refugee resettlement at the UN refugee agency was published recently by NBC News.1 The seven-month investigation into refugee processing centers in five countries — Kenya, Uganda, Yemen, Ethiopia, and Libya — found widespread reports of U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) staffers accepting bribes from refugees in order to refer them for resettlement in a Western country.
UNHCR has the international mandate to determine who is (and who is not) attributed refugee status, to provide refugee assistance, and to decide who is eligible for resettlement in third countries. Resettlement is the "transfer of refugees from the country in which they have sought asylum to another state that has agreed to admit them as refugees and to grant them permanent settlement and the opportunity for eventual citizenship." A number of countries (29 nations in 2018) participate in UNHCR's resettlement program; the world's top resettlement country remains the United States.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

Lizzy, I support your local giving model. It's probably the best way to get bang for your buck.

If you want to give to those in need around the world, look into Bountiful children's foundation. It used to be Liahona.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Charity is big business.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I heard from someone who worked for the Church that they actually spend more money on marketing #LightTheWorld than the money they bring in from it.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

creator wrote: November 6th, 2022, 11:22 am I heard from someone who worked for the Church that they actually spend more money on marketing #LightTheWorld than the money they bring in from it.
Funny. I never viewed #LightTheWorld as a money collection system. I guess I am not very good at seeing things through the church's eyes.

I spend more money on lots of things that I don't get back. I guess if I was a little more greedy, I would view everything according to it's return on investment.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Mamabear wrote: November 5th, 2022, 5:39 pm Cue the pictures on social media of Mormons in front of the giving machines, so proud of their donations.🥰

It's almost like Matthew 6 isn't in the LDS Bible anymore. Mormons are the best at completely ignoring the Lord's commands in verses 1-4.

And oh look - Sis. Eubanks has her wedding ring on...

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

creator wrote: November 6th, 2022, 11:22 am I heard from someone who worked for the Church that they actually spend more money on marketing #LightTheWorld than the money they bring in from it.
Does that somehow make it a better use of tithing sacred funds?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Obrien wrote: November 6th, 2022, 11:49 am
Does that somehow make it a better use of tithing sacred funds?
So after we pay tithing, they use some of it to market a scheme to entice us to give more of our money to Babylonian charities?
Why would they do this? Oh yeah, seeking the praise of men. One of the warnings from the Book of Mormon.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Lizzy60 wrote: November 5th, 2022, 3:17 pm This year’s locations, tripled over last year:

https://www.ldsliving.com/where-have-th ... st/s/11115
Well, the one bright spot during the scamdemic:

2020 Giving Machine cities:

No Giving Machines used due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Way back when, I thought the church did their own giving to the needy (as they did after WWII?) and didn't use bogus outlets like United Way, etc. but had their own system. Too expensive these days to do that way, or just lazy?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

It's PR. I saw something about it on a Catholic website earlier.

It would be good to know:
* Who makes the machines?
* Who gets the electricity bill?
* Where do the unwanted packages go?
Last edited by Niemand on November 6th, 2022, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.