Book of Mormon Prophecy About America — Matt Palmer

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Book of Mormon Prophecy About America — Matt Palmer

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Almost two years ago I met Matt Palmer for the first time. I had read some of his essays before, but meeting him for lunch was a fun experience. Super knowledgeable guy, and very down to earth. His essays do tend to run a little long and can get complicated at times, but I thought this essay was well done.

What does the Book of mormon say about America? How important is it that we understand these prophecies? And how can we prepare for what is coming? These types of questions should be of great interest and discussion among the LDS church, but they seem to be absent from most discussions/preachings in our day.

Here's the link to his essay: "Book of Mormon Prophecy About America:
https://doctrinalessays.com/book-of-mor ... t-america/

Here's the intro paragraph:

The Land of the Book of Mormon Belongs to the Seed of Lehi

This first point is essential to know when discussing the future of this land. Christ gave it to Lehi’s people at the command of the Father. “Verily, verily, I say unto you, thus hath the Father commanded me—that I should give unto this people this land for their inheritance.” 3 Nephi 16:16, see also 3 Nephi 20:14. This promise was not something that died with the Nephites. This was a covenant between God and Lehi, and God is bound by it and will fulfill it. “Notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord God hath covenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of my seed. Yea, the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever, and also all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord.” 2 Nephi 1:5. Jacob explained that the Lord said, “I will consecrate this land unto thy seed, and then who shall be numbered among thy seed, forever, for the land of their inheritance; for it is a choice land, saith God unto me, above all other lands, wherefore I will have all men that dwell thereon that they shall worship me, saith God.” 2 Nephi 10:19. Thus, this land belongs to Lehi as well as those who will be led here by the hand of God and ultimately numbered among Lehi’s posterity.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Re: Book of Mormon Prophecy About America — Matt Palmer

Post by LDS Physician »

I highly recommend anything he writes. On the right of that same website are multiple other articles ... click on any with "Matt Palmer" on them and you'll learn valuable things.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

The only thing that I would love to have a discussion w him about is the heartland theory. I believe the Nephites travelled extensively, but I’m not putting Bountiful in the Midwest.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

A good essay. However, he seems to fall into the same trap other BoM readers do. that is equate the comments about "them" where Lehi's name isn't said, nor his descendants, but includes Lehi's descendants) in "them". Them is remnant of "Jacob". It then some how becomes that the seed of Jacob is remnant of the Lamanites. Even the most specific group listed is "seed of Joseph". Not all or even few of the Lamanites are of Joseph after all the mixing.

Anyway, Jesus said in D&C 29: 12 that in the last days Israel is the body of those who keep his commandments (vs. OT and even NT when Israel more meant bloodlines and heritage). He also says that those who keep his commandments, thus Israel are his church (not an organization but a body of believers here anyway). verse 12 ....the whole house of Israel, even as many as have loved me and kept my commandments, and none else........

So, to me it is more general that expecting some few Native Americans to rise up and take over this country. It is more that those who are defined by Jesus as Israel in the last days (those who keep his commandments) will rise up. In other words, like old Jerusalem. It was given to Israel (Jacob/Joseph if you wish), taken away and given to the gentiles, and then taken away and given back to Israel. First will be last and last will be first.... It seems very limited interpretation to say the "last" are remnant of Lamanites. IMO.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

TheDuke wrote: November 1st, 2022, 6:28 pm A good essay. However, he seems to fall into the same trap other BoM readers do. that is equate the comments about "them" where Lehi's name isn't said, nor his descendants, but includes Lehi's descendants) in "them". Them is remnant of "Jacob". It then some how becomes that the seed of Jacob is remnant of the Lamanites. Even the most specific group listed is "seed of Joseph". Not all or even few of the Lamanites are of Joseph after all the mixing.

Anyway, Jesus said in D&C 29: 12 that in the last days Israel is the body of those who keep his commandments (vs. OT and even NT when Israel more meant bloodlines and heritage). He also says that those who keep his commandments, thus Israel are his church (not an organization but a body of believers here anyway). verse 12 ....the whole house of Israel, even as many as have loved me and kept my commandments, and none else........

So, to me it is more general that expecting some few Native Americans to rise up and take over this country. It is more that those who are defined by Jesus as Israel in the last days (those who keep his commandments) will rise up. In other words, like old Jerusalem. It was given to Israel (Jacob/Joseph if you wish), taken away and given to the gentiles, and then taken away and given back to Israel. First will be last and last will be first.... It seems very limited interpretation to say the "last" are remnant of Lamanites. IMO.
Was the last dispensation given to the Gentiles or the house of Israel, maybe it’s one and the same? Judah isn’t the house of Israel, they can become part of it. OT divides house of Israel and the house of Judah. Are we not the house of Israel? Gentile was Goy in Hebrew, Judah called Israel goy, other nation. They did not help the other nation (goy) in 750bc.

I think the phrase Gentile nation is not fully understood. Jeremiah chapter 31 does a good job explaining the last day people.

18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God.
19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.
20 Is Ephraim my dear son? is he a pleasant child? for since I spake against him, I do earnestly remember him still: therefore my bowels are troubled for him; I will surely have mercy upon him, saith the Lord.
21 Set thee up waymarks, make thee high heaps: set thine heart toward the highway, even the way which thou wentest: turn again, O virgin of Israel, turn again to these thy cities.

I do agree with you about who builds up Zion, his people.

The next verse ties in Isaiah 3:12 to this time.

22 How long wilt thou go about, O thou backsliding daughter? for the Lord hath created a new thing in the earth, A woman shall compass a man.

Besides now, when in history has women lead men? The reluctant man of the watch doesn’t like my reading of Isaiah 3:12. But the lord is the author of his book and it all ties in together, we just have to ask him how.