The WS&T Poll!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Do you wear a white shirt and tie if/when you go to church?

Yes
62%
No
38%

Total votes: 53
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

The WS&T Poll!

Post by Jonesy »

Out of sheer curiosity…

Only males answer please.

I don’t want to mix in the question of women wearing dresses (or pantsuits or whatever).

Thank you for your time.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Re: The WS&T Poll!

Post by BuriedTartaria »

I rarely go to church anymore. I stopped wearing a white shirt and tie the last year or so that I would attend. If I ever go to church again, it won't be in a white shirt and tie. It's mainly because I don't want to be asked to take part in the administering of the sacrament. It's not wanting to avoid that due to morality concerns, if I pass the sacrament I'll have to get to know people, they'll want me to get involved with the ward. I don't want to get involved. I want to play a role in the LDS community coming to see that there is a growing audience of people who believe in the Book of Mormon but not the LDS institution

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

I cannot answer this poll the way it’s set up.

I wear a white shirt and tie some weeks. Other weeks I wear a different colored shirt or one with nice patterns, and tie.

So yes and no.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

nope, I left the church, but while I was there, It was always jeans, colored shirt of some sort and a tie, and cowboy boots.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I did when I went to church, which, I haven't gone in 2 1/2 years. And I don't anticipate I will go again.

But that was part of my work attire, so ...
dc

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

With only two exceptions, I’ve worn a colored shirt every week since 2014 . When I was called to be EQP I asked the SP if he had a problem with me wearing colored shirts and he said there was nothing in the handbook about it - “just don’t grow any facial hair.” So, I’ve conducted, participated in ordinances, given talks and gone to the temple all in a colored shirt. My favorite one is pink along with a matching tie. ( my wife bought it for me). I tried to wear a white shirt a few years ago but it just felt so wrong that I haven’t worn one since.

It was rough at first as I would have to endure all kinds of comments like, “what happened did your wife forget to do your laundry this week?” I would reply, “no, I wore my white shirt at the temple yesterday”. They would walk away pretty fast.

I know when a less active or a non member comes to church they don’t think of having to wear a white shirt, so, I make sure I talk to them so they don’t feel like they committed a more sin by not wearing a white shirt. I also had a couple of sons go inactive, but when they did attend they would never wear a white shirt. So I made it a habit of wearing colored shirts every week cause I never knew when they would show up.

I remember being at a general conference priesthood meeting when a talk was given about wearing a white shirt because it is “the uniform of the priesthood”. For years I bought that line of thinking- until one day I actually thought about how pharisaical it is. Jesus would not have a dress standard, only those who “look on the outside” would, or those who represent the Pharisees. How crazy is that.

I get a couple of positive comments from the sisters in my ward every week. It’s almost like the sisters like colored shirts and the guys are stuck in a rut of not having to do any color matching on Sundays, just grab the white shirt and go. No thinking involved.

ransomme
captain of 1,000

Post by ransomme »

I sometimes wear a white shirt with a golf vest, but I don't wear ties to church going on 7 years or so.

And I teach EQ, and the Gospel doctrine for the YA/YSA class.

CaptainM
captain of 100

Post by CaptainM »

I do not when I go once a month or less to support my wife's desire to see some sister friends.

I have to ask though, what would Christ, Paul, Peter, James, John or Joseph Smith do?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

For me, a white shirt and tie is a sign of respect.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

The correct answer for me is "sometimes." Depends on what's ironed, or looks decent. Last time we sent to church (baby blessing) it was white. Because that's what looked OK hanging in the closet.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Soft yes from me. I do, most of the time, but don't force people to or appreciate it if others tell me to. I've always thought it's a manmade rule.
Last edited by Niemand on October 25th, 2022, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

CaptainM wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:19 am I do not when I go once a month or less to support my wife's desire to see some sister friends.

I have to ask though, what would Christ, Paul, Peter, James, John or Joseph Smith do?
With the exception of JS... Wear a giant gown, possibly a toga. None of them would have worn trousers.

darknesstolight
captain of 1,000

Post by darknesstolight »

I have chosen to not concern myself with such questions. I wear what I feel like wearing any given Sunday and it is whatever it ends up being. Usually what is available, clean, convenient are bigger factors. Sometimes I want to look "fancy" just for the fun of it but I don't make decisions about what I wear at Church based on anyone else's opinion or feelings than my own.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

I did as a teenager. White shirt, tie, black skirt and high heels. I had so many tell me that it was inappropriate for me to wear. It was great to annoy them. I loved wearing it. It was also the 90s and cool to wear.

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

I wear a white shirt and tie, and I am not ashamed of that.

Though on the flip side, I will often wear blue jeans. I just don't feel right NOT wearing a white shirt and tie when I go to Church. Not that I am forced to by outside callings (I have not held a single Church calling now in eight years for speaking my mind when the leaders didn't like it), but out of respect for the Lord.

JandD6572
captain of 100

Post by JandD6572 »

Lineman1012 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 9:40 am With only two exceptions, I’ve worn a colored shirt every week since 2014 . When I was called to be EQP I asked the SP if he had a problem with me wearing colored shirts and he said there was nothing in the handbook about it - “just don’t grow any facial hair.” So, I’ve conducted, participated in ordinances, given talks and gone to the temple all in a colored shirt. My favorite one is pink along with a matching tie. ( my wife bought it for me). I tried to wear a white shirt a few years ago but it just felt so wrong that I haven’t worn one since.

It was rough at first as I would have to endure all kinds of comments like, “what happened did your wife forget to do your laundry this week?” I would reply, “no, I wore my white shirt at the temple yesterday”. They would walk away pretty fast.

I know when a less active or a non member comes to church they don’t think of having to wear a white shirt, so, I make sure I talk to them so they don’t feel like they committed a more sin by not wearing a white shirt. I also had a couple of sons go inactive, but when they did attend they would never wear a white shirt. So I made it a habit of wearing colored shirts every week cause I never knew when they would show up.

I remember being at a general conference priesthood meeting when a talk was given about wearing a white shirt because it is “the uniform of the priesthood”. For years I bought that line of thinking- until one day I actually thought about how pharisaical it is. Jesus would not have a dress standard, only those who “look on the outside” would, or those who represent the Pharisees. How crazy is that.

I get a couple of positive comments from the sisters in my ward every week. It’s almost like the sisters like colored shirts and the guys are stuck in a rut of not having to do any color matching on Sundays, just grab the white shirt and go. No thinking involved.
interesting, when I last attended the church, our bishop, and one of his councilors as well as the EQP all had beards. When I first started going back years ago, I was told that I should cut my hair. This kind of authority doesn't sit well with me.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

There's a lot of micromanaging going around. Read the Church Handbook for evidence.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

JandD6572 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 12:59 pm
Lineman1012 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 9:40 am With only two exceptions, I’ve worn a colored shirt every week since 2014 . When I was called to be EQP I asked the SP if he had a problem with me wearing colored shirts and he said there was nothing in the handbook about it - “just don’t grow any facial hair.” So, I’ve conducted, participated in ordinances, given talks and gone to the temple all in a colored shirt. My favorite one is pink along with a matching tie. ( my wife bought it for me). I tried to wear a white shirt a few years ago but it just felt so wrong that I haven’t worn one since.

interesting, when I last attended the church, our bishop, and one of his councilors as well as the EQP all had beards. When I first started going back years ago, I was told that I should cut my hair. This kind of authority doesn't sit well with me.
We have a few bearded people on our ward council. I'm currently beardless but had one last week. As long as a beard is well groomed and doesn't look stupid it's not a problem.

I had my home teacher tell me off for wearing a coloured shirt after I got baptised. The same guy tried to bully me into going on a mission too.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Me either, in fact when Covid hit and they shut the church down I grew a beard. I was still EQP at the time. I thought I would get released right away but didn’t until 8 months later.

I think white shirts are part of the whited sepulchers that Christ was talking about. It’s really about what’s in your heart not what you are wearing.

Lineman1012
captain of 100

Post by Lineman1012 »

Niemand wrote: October 25th, 2022, 1:11 pm

We have a few bearded people on our ward council. I'm currently beardless but had one last week. As long as a beard is well groomed and doesn't look stupid it's not a problem.

I had my home teacher tell me off for wearing a coloured shirt after I got baptised. The same guy tried to bully me into going on a mission too.
A friend of mine was just becoming active and our bishop told him he’d buy him a white shirt if he couldn’t afford one. It took 8 years before he came back to church.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

It is an outward and public expression of my secret inner feelings of wanting to belong.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Lineman1012 wrote: October 25th, 2022, 1:58 pm A friend of mine was just becoming active and our bishop told him he’d buy him a white shirt if he couldn’t afford one. It took 8 years before he came back to church.
It was similar for me. I was driven inactive by this and a couple of other things. I wish I'd remained semi-active and put my foot down. I've also had experiences where I've tried to attend an LDS chapel and the place has been shut. Presumably for stake conference. But no signs up or anything.

They really are their own worst enemies sometimes.

I wear a white shirt now voluntarily.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

I typically wear a white shirt and tie, not because of the false idea that there is a uniform for the priesthood, but because I find it clean, crisp, and makes me feel like I'm pulling less attention to me. On the rare occasion, I've worn white shirts with patterns on them.

It's just a preference thing, but nothing suits a suit like a white shirt -- I like mine with some kind of spread collar (British, Semi-, etc).

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I wear a white shirt and tie, but not always. My youngest son wears a pink shirt, at first it bugged me, but he looks good in it and my wife helped me see that there was nothing wrong with it. I grew up in a coal mining community, boys and men did not wear pink. I know I need to set the example for my sons, and I can be hard on them a bit as it is, so the color of the shirt is not as big of a deal to me. I have worn my military uniform, both field and dress blues several times over the years to both church and the temple. I showed up to the Vegas temple completely covered in mud back in the summer of 99 when it flooded in Vegas! That was a great experience, and the temple workers brought me right in, they were worried no one would come that day because of the floods. My 4x4 was covered in mud from top to bottom, and so was I. My heart was clean when I arrived, I think that's what matters most. In years past it was taught that we should dress our best when we go in public. I can see the value in this and want to teach that to my kids, but I am also positive that we will see far more working clothes brothers and sisters in the Celestial Kingdom than those running around telling their neighbor to put a tie on.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

CaptainM wrote: October 25th, 2022, 10:19 am I do not when I go once a month or less to support my wife's desire to see some sister friends.

seems to me like a (sorry to say) stupid question. JS is always known to where a frilly shirt and tie, and anciently they didn't have ties.

However, I never wear a white shirt, I go regularly. I do wear a time on very rare occasions (Easter, Christmas)