Do We Sometimes Consider Ourselves As "Righteous"?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
CaptainM
captain of 100

Do We Sometimes Consider Ourselves As "Righteous"?

Post by CaptainM »

th-2682532712.jpeg
th-2682532712.jpeg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 318 times
I am sorry if this comes across as self-righteous or preachy, but I have noticed that once I think I know something (perhaps better than others), I tend to see others as misinformed or worse. It caused me to re-evaluate my motivations for posting, liking, or responding on this forum. I think most of us would like to be considered "Righteous;" so I tied a few scriptures together to share. We may be the ones called upon to redeem Zion, and my hope is that we can somehow be of one mind and one heart when that comes to pass.

Your thoughts?

-----------------------------------------

9 He spake this parable unto certain men, who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others.
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 But the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other; for everyone who exalteth himself, shall be abased; and he who humbleth himself, shall be exalted. (JST Luke)

3)…Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I am against thee, and will draw forth my sword out of his sheath, and will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked.
4)Seeing then that I will cut off from thee the righteous and the wicked, therefore shall my sword go forth out of his sheath against all flesh from the south to the north;
5)That all flesh may know that I the Lord have drawn forth my sword out of his sheath; it shall not return anymore. (JST Ezekiel 21)

13  And the anger of the Lord is kindled, and his sword is bathed in heaven, and it shall fall upon the inhabitants of the earth.
14  And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles (my belief it is the words [scriptures] not false brethren), shall be cut off from among the people;
15  For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant;
16  They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall. (D&C 1)

33  O ye wicked and perverse and stiffnecked people, why have ye built up churches unto yourselves to get gain?  Why have ye transfigured the holy word of God, that ye might bring damnation upon your souls?  Behold, look ye unto the revelations of God; for behold, the time cometh at that day when all these things must be fulfilled.
34  Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you.
35  Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not.  But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.
36  And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.
37  For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.
38  O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God?  Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ?  Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?
39  Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?
40  Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads?
41  Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.

29  And we know that all men must repent and believe on the name of Jesus Christ, and worship the Father in his name, and endure in faith on his name to the end, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of God. (D&C 20)

27  ... hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need.  Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him. ... 30  Behold, I speak unto you as though I spake from the dead; for I know that ye shall have my words. (Mormon 9)

-------------------
In Christ. Best wishes...

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Re: Do We Sometimes Consider Ourselves As "Righteous"?

Post by Bronco73idi »

I’m just clumpy dirt.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I think I get a bit holier than thou, usually in response to someone else getting holier than thou in their preaching.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Bronco73idi wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 10:27 am I’m just clumpy dirt.
HAHAHAHA

I was thinking of how to respond to the OP, but you've described me perfectly. My clay of a self has been moistened, shaped, dried, and shattered many times. Right now I'm recovering from the shattered phase and moisture has been added. Where this goes, I have no idea.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I struggle with a false sense of self-righteousness & have been told so by multiple people so there must be some truth. ;) It may be the punitive life trap & me being too blunt as well. On the other hand, deep down, I also struggle with feeling less-than and undeserving & tend to treat others better than myself. Life is crushing in many ways - crush this false idea & that one… In some ways it’s good but refiner’s fire is not pleasant.

To truly grasp our sense of ignorance compared to all there is, may crush faith and motivation. So maybe a little faith in ourselves isn’t all bad, as long as there’s at least an occasional reality check.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

On bended knee...

While driving home after a long day...

Standing in a long line at the grocery store...

Whenever, I feel that I need a bit of extra grace from above....

I thank the Lord for not giving up on me and I ask for guidance and strength to do his will.

We can strive daily to be better before the eyes of our fellow Man or we can humbly serve the Lord.

While the acts may interchange to a degree... The intent is apparent.

The parable posted by the OP made me smile. I cannot fathom thanking God that I am not as bad as someone else. :o

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

I think we should pay attention in particular to the part where they trust in themselves that they are righteous.

I believe that is different than trusting in God and Jesus Chrsit that they have made us righteous. Can a good tree produce bitter fruit? Can a righteous tree produce wicked fruit? Whose fruit are we? Is Christ righteous? Is the Father Righteous?

We all must repent and be born again, for sure, but there is more to the message.

I think sometimes we have a tendency to exalt our sin above the word of God, which states that we have been imputed with His righteousness, that we are Saints of the most High, that through His life and sacrifice we are made Holy and blameless in the eyes of God. How can a bitter tree produce good fruit? It has less to do with us trusting ourselves and entirely trusting in Him who is might to save and has given us life. As we see His mercy, we can't help but desire to live righteously, as we are filled we can't help but overflow with what HE has given us. That is my two cents.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.