Book of Mormon questions

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Book of Mormon questions

Post by Mamabear »

Hi. As I’ve been studying the scriptures these last few months, I have questions. I’ve been hesitant to share for fear of judgement.
I have no one in my life right now that I can talk to about this because all of my friends are church members and I don’t want to offend them.
I have questions regarding the Book of Mormon.
1) To start, why were people baptized (beginning with Alma) in the book when baptism wasn’t performed until Christ began his ministry? The old laws were done away with the new law which was baptism. Baptism isn’t mentioned in the OT.
2) This brings up the Holy Ghost, which wasn’t mentioned in the OT but it is throughout the Book of Mormon. It seems to me that the Holy Ghost was part of the covenant Christ gave his disciples…he told them that he could not give it to them until He ascended to the Father. John even said Jesus is the one that baptizes us with the Holy Ghost.
“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.”
John 1:33

3)Why were there no animal sacrifices in the Book of Mormon?
4)Why was Christ’s name never mentioned in the Old Testament but throughout the Book of Mormon?
I have other questions regarding other verses but that’s for another time.
I just wondered if anyone else has had any similar thoughts or questions in their hearts.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Book of Mormon questions

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm Hi. As I’ve been studying the scriptures these last few months, I have questions. I’ve been hesitant to share for fear of judgement.
I have no one in my life right now that I can talk to about this because all of my friends are church members and I don’t want to offend them.
1) To start, why were people baptized (beginning with Alma) in the book when baptism wasn’t performed until Christ began his ministry? The old laws were done away with the new law which was baptism. Baptism isn’t mentioned in the OT.
2) This brings up the Holy Ghost, which wasn’t mentioned in the OT but it is throughout the Book of Mormon. It seems to me that the Holy Ghost was part of the covenant Christ gave his disciples…he told them that he could not give it to them until He ascended to the Father. John even said Jesus is the one that baptizes us with the Holy Ghost.
“And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.”

4)Why was Christ’s name never mentioned in the Old Testament but throughout the Book of Mormon?
I just wondered if anyone else has had any similar thoughts or questions in their hearts.
This will be short... for now.

1. What was John the Baptist doing before he baptized Christ? Which does bring up a good point, what covenant were they making?

2. Not sure about the OT and HG. The HG was there from the beginning as part of the Godhead, so I'm not sure.

3. There were animal sacrifices in the BoM, they lived the law of Moses. They just don't talk about it in depth. Nephi built temples, but none of the laws nor ordinances are recorded.

4. Christ is Jehova in the OT.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Jews did have ritual cleansings, performed in mikvahs, which were very similar to baptismal fonts; though they were mainly used for female purification after menstruation, they were also used by men at various times. Undoubtedly precursors to the idea of baptism.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 21st, 2022, 3:08 pm
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm Hi. As I’ve been studying the scriptures these last few months, I have questions. I’ve been hesitant to share for fear of judgement.

This will be short... for now.

1. What was John the Baptist doing before he baptized Christ? Which does bring up a good point, what covenant were they making?

2. Not sure about the OT and HG. The HG was there from the beginning as part of the Godhead, so I'm not sure.

3. There were animal sacrifices in the BoM, they lived the law of Moses. They just don't talk about it in depth. Nephi built temples, but none of the laws nor ordinances are recorded.

4. Christ is Jehova in the OT.
I know that Christ is Jehovah in the OT, I guess I wonder why he wasn’t referred to as Jehovah in the BOM.

Wondering Wendy
captain of 100

Post by Wondering Wendy »

The Holy Ghost is mentioned all throughout the OT. It is called the Holy Spirit. For some reason the translators of the NT used both Spirit and Ghost to translate the Greek word pneuma.

Blue Letter Bible

The KJV translates Strong's G4151 pneuma in the following manner: Spirit (111x), Holy Ghost (89x), Spirit (of God) (13x), Spirit (of the Lord) (5x), (My) Spirit (3x), Spirit (of truth) (3x), Spirit (of Christ) (2x), human (spirit) (49x), (evil) spirit (47x), spirit (general) (26x), spirit (8x), (Jesus' own) spirit (6x), (Jesus' own) ghost (2x), miscellaneous (21x).

The Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost are the exact same thing according to the definitions. At the the link I provided, compare the Hebrew ruah H7307 to the Greek pneuma G4151. Both mean wind, spirit, breath, mind.

There are many mentions in the OT of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The language is sometimes just a bit different.
Num. 11:25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
Sounds like Pentecost to me. :)

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

larsenb wrote: October 21st, 2022, 4:13 pm Jews did have ritual cleansings, performed in mikvahs, which were very similar to baptismal fonts; though they were mainly used for female purification after menstruation, they were also used by men at various times. Undoubtedly precursors to the idea of baptism.
The Essenes practiced a form of baptism before the NT period. It was also used for Gentiles to become ritually pure in Jewish terms.

In addition, we can look upon the Great Flood as a type of baptism of the Earth, washing away its sin. This is followed in the OT by the Children of Israel through the Red Sea (a kind of collective baptism), and through the parted waters of the Jordan. Water also features heavily in the first chapter of Genesis.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

Personally, I think a lot of the answers to these questions is the one writing the story. Mormon, living basically alone in the gospel with Moroni, tried his best to capture what was around long before him. Then JS translated it in 1920's. Along these rewritings came wording that fits our time.

My example that reeks of this type of error or interpolation if you will. It the Bro of J. He sees the Lord and the Lord says his name is "Jesus Christ". Surely that wasn't his name, his name was Jesus perhaps of Nazareth or similar. Second the term Christ is Greek, never used by early Christians in Israel or Jesus' time. As a Greek word, the title would make no sense to Jaredites or Nephites, etc... Plus why would Jesus use is future earthly name? It may mean something to later Christians but surely not the ancients in his time. BTW same thing exists in the BoA and BoM, terms and titles not yet known are used. All IMO of course.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

Number 2

Lectures on faith #5, part of the 1835 D&C...says the Holy Spirit is the collective mind of the Father and the Son. Not a separate entity.

Also...the part about the father and the son having a body of flesh and bones...was added later...not what Joseph wrote, and not what the Lectures on faith #5 describe.

Since Joseph should be the definitive source on the subject...I trust what he had to say on the subject...not later added "document doctoring"

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

So it is clear the Holy Spirit fell on certain people in the OT, but there is a difference between the Holy GHost and HOly SPirit from my understanding. It is also a hang-up/question I have regarding the BoM It isn't about the Holy SPirit - we know that was active, but the gift of the Holy Ghost appears to not have been active at all in teh OT or during hte life of Jesus. It has cause me to wonder about hte authenticity of the BoM because of that discrepancy. This is something I have put on my shelf for a while. I have found a few other discrepancies as well, but the HG is the biggest for me. Most of these did not start coming to light until I actually began to take the BIble seriously and study it with the intent to learn and understand. As I have there have been a few things that have caught my attention- much of it I attribute to the fact that hte BoM is an old testament book, trying to be written from the New TEstament perspective, but there are mysteries which were not revealed until the New TEstament (which are stated in the New Testament). SO I can give leeway on some of it..

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Post by Rubicon »

If one accepts the Pearl of Great Price as true (i.e., it accurately relates reality in the past --- real people, places, and events), then baptism harks back to the time of Adam (Adam himself). This, in a time of animal sacrifice that pre-dated the Law of Moses by thousands of years.

I believe that animal sacrifice was practiced in the Book of Mormon, but it isn't focused on or emphasized (Mormon says several times that he can't include a hundredth part of the happenings and events --- he had to be selective, with a special eye towards our day).

As for Christ being mentioned in the Book of Mormon, it is a translation through the "gift and power of God" for our day. I think getting bogged down in the weeds of "well, did it actually say Yeshua Messias in the plates?" missed the point. When Jesus is being referred to, what else was Joseph Smith supposed to say in a dictated text for his time and place? It gives the identity of who is being referred to in a way that is understandable to its audience. The same applies to other "anachronisms," like "Bible" in the Book of Mormon. When the Bible is what is being referred to, then using the term that the audience readily knows and understands is the best "translation."

It isn't a 1:1 mechanical/literal translation of what was on the plates.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

First verse of the Bible
בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ
Bereshit bara Elohim et hashamayim ve'et ha'aretz.
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
This is with the Masoretic vowel pointing (the dots and lines beneath and above the Hebrew letters). Note that not everyone agrees with this, so there is some room for interpretation. Remember Hebrew is written right to left unlike English, the Hebrew alphabet has also changed from a more angular form into the curvy variety we see today.

In this verse we can see "אֱלֹהִים" (Elohim), a plural form of El for God. More than one.

The very first word of the Bible "בְּרֵאשִׁית" ( bereshit) has various things hidden inside it. These have tended to pass by any of those Hebrew scholars who reject Christ.

* It includes both "א" aleph and "ת" tav, since these are the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet, they are sort of equivalent to Alpha and Omega in Greek (but not phonetically), i.e. the beginning and end. The same combination appears three times in the sentence, in the fourth word of the verse "אֵת" and in the second last word between the words for Heaven and Earth.
* There is a hidden cross in the last letter "ת" or tav. In the current Hebrew alphabet this is not obvious, but in the old Hebrew script which Moses would have used this would be "𐤁𐤓𐤀𐤔𐤉𐤕" — with the last letter tav being "𐤕".
* The first two letters bet and resh (with no vowel pointing) give us "בּר" (or "𐤁𐤓" in old script br), which can be read as "bar" meaning "son". The first letter of the Bible is "bet" and the last is the Greek letter "nu", whose equivalent is "nun" in Hebrew. The first and the last letters create the Hebrew word "BeN" which also means "son".
* The names of the first two letters "bet" and "resh" mean "house-head".
* If we turn it into two words, we get "in the firstfruits". This is a concept we find in 1 Corinthians 15.23 used to refer to Jesus.

There are a lot of other hidden meanings in the verse which are less relevant.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

There are some references in the ot related to the holy ghost. I dont have my scriptures by me right now but we know the one where i think it was elijah where he talks about spirit.... i can find this later for you.

They do talk a lot about sacrafice in book of mormon they just dont focus on it

As far christ not being named i think that was by design, remember the early jews it was almost a sin to say the name of god. I believe the lord concealed it so it would be more of a test for the people in israel. If his name was written out i think there may have been many false christ who took his name.

Baptism i do think was in the old testament as well as temple ordinances, likely only half of the temple ordinances we have today....

Youll notice the pharises knew what baptism was, they gave john a hard time because they considered him crazy, not because he was performing baptisms. Also the fonts with 12 oxen is from old testament.

There is more that can be added, i just cant remember scriptures off top my head....
Last edited by Chris on October 22nd, 2022, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

As I understand it the word used for the Holy Spirit in the OT tend to be "רוח" (ruach), equivalent to the Greek "πνεῦμα" (pneuma). Ruach literally means "breath", pneuma "wind" or "air" – so similar. Pneuma is used in the Septuagint to translate the Hebrew equivalent. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

In this context, the concept can be found in Genesis 1.2. Other relevant verses Isaiah 44:3 & Joel 2:28. Psalm 51 also includes the phrase "Holy Spirit" (רוּחַ קָדְשְׁךָ )‎ in the Hebrew.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 1) To start, why were people baptized (beginning with Alma) in the book when baptism wasn’t performed until Christ began his ministry? The old laws were done away with the new law which was baptism. Baptism isn’t mentioned in the OT.
I don't believe that.

Joseph Smith said:
  • “Perhaps our friends will say that the Gospel and its ordinances were not known till the days of John, the son of Zacharias, in the days of Herod, the king of Judea. But we will here look at this point: For our own part we cannot believe that the ancients in all ages were so ignorant of the system of heaven as many suppose, since all that were ever saved, were saved through the power of this great plan of redemption, as much before the coming of Christ as since; if not, God has had different plans in operation (if we may so express it), to bring men back to dwell with Himself; and this we cannot believe . . .” (22 January 1834, TPJS 59-60)
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 2) This brings up the Holy Ghost, which wasn’t mentioned in the OT but it is throughout the Book of Mormon. It seems to me that the Holy Ghost was part of the covenant Christ gave his disciples…he told them that he could not give it to them until He ascended to the Father. John even said Jesus is the one that baptizes us with the Holy Ghost.
The Holy Ghost is clearly talked about in the Old Testament. The mind of God has always been given to people throughout time. Peter, for instance, is noted as receiving revelation that Jesus was the Messiah, and that couldn't have happened without the Holy Ghost. When Jesus was on earth, He was the one through which it was disseminated. When He ascended, another personage--"the Comforter"--took over in that regard.
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 3)Why were there no animal sacrifices in the Book of Mormon?
There was.
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 4)Why was Christ’s name never mentioned in the Old Testament but throughout the Book of Mormon?
I believe it was, but such things were taken away. There's enough evidence to support the fact that revisions on a mass scale were made to the ancient Scriptures. Joseph Smith made corrections to some parts of the Bible, the corrections containing Christ's name.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Luke wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 4:38 am
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 1) To start, why were people baptized (beginning with Alma) in the book when baptism wasn’t performed until Christ began his ministry? The old laws were done away with the new law which was baptism. Baptism isn’t mentioned in the OT.
I don't believe that.

Joseph Smith said:
  • “Perhaps our friends will say that the Gospel and its ordinances were not known till the days of John, the son of Zacharias, in the days of Herod, the king of Judea. But we will here look at this point: For our own part we cannot believe that the ancients in all ages were so ignorant of the system of heaven as many suppose, since all that were ever saved, were saved through the power of this great plan of redemption, as much before the coming of Christ as since; if not, God has had different plans in operation (if we may so express it), to bring men back to dwell with Himself; and this we cannot believe . . .” (22 January 1834, TPJS 59-60)
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 2) This brings up the Holy Ghost, which wasn’t mentioned in the OT but it is throughout the Book of Mormon. It seems to me that the Holy Ghost was part of the covenant Christ gave his disciples…he told them that he could not give it to them until He ascended to the Father. John even said Jesus is the one that baptizes us with the Holy Ghost.
The Holy Ghost is clearly talked about in the Old Testament. The mind of God has always been given to people throughout time. Peter, for instance, is noted as receiving revelation that Jesus was the Messiah, and that couldn't have happened without the Holy Ghost. When Jesus was on earth, He was the one through which it was disseminated. When He ascended, another personage--"the Comforter"--took over in that regard.
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 3)Why were there no animal sacrifices in the Book of Mormon?
There was.
Mamabear wrote: October 21st, 2022, 2:34 pm 4)Why was Christ’s name never mentioned in the Old Testament but throughout the Book of Mormon?
I believe it was, but such things were taken away. There's enough evidence to support the fact that revisions on a mass scale were made to the ancient Scriptures. Joseph Smith made corrections to some parts of the Bible, the corrections containing Christ's name.
I don’t believe Joseph Smith’s quote.

I know that the Holy Ghost is the Holy Spirit in the OT, I think it’s curious that it’s not referred to this way in the BOM.

I’m unsure about Joseph’s corrections to the Bible.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

Mamabear wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 5:44 am I don’t believe Joseph Smith’s quote.
It's still true whether you believe it or not.

But why? It's completely accurate.
Mamabear wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 5:44 am I know that the Holy Ghost is the Holy Spirit in the OT, I think it’s curious that it’s not referred to this way in the BOM.
It's referred to as both. Do a word search, and you'll see. Also, "Ghost" and "Spirit" are synonyms. The word actually used on the golden plates themselves would have been the same.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Mamabear, do you think Joseph Smith authored the Book of Mormon? If not, what are you thinking?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Jashon wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 6:55 am Mamabear, do you think Joseph Smith authored the Book of Mormon? If not, what are you thinking?
Wouldn’t the better question be whether ancient Hebrew prophets authored the Book of Mormon?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Jashon wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 6:55 am Mamabear, do you think Joseph Smith authored the Book of Mormon? If not, what are you thinking?
Not to diss on Joseph, but he wasn't capable of writing such a piece as the BoM. Nobody during his era was. I don't think you could even accomplish such a feat today.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

I think it’s possible he authored it.
He was much smarter than the church gives him credit for.
When I saw Russell Nelson put his face in the hat to demonstrate how Joseph translated I realized I had been lied to and I asked why? Why has the church lied about the history and the origins of translation processes? What else are they covering up?At that point I had already read verses in the BOM that I had questions about and now I have more.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Mamabear wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:57 am I think it’s possible he authored it.
When I saw Russell Nelson put his face in the hat to demonstrate how Joseph translated I realized I had been lied to and I asked why? Why has the church lied about the history and the origins of translation processes? What else are they covering up?At that point I had already read verses in the BOM that I had questions about and now I have more.
For context:
rock.jpeg
rock.jpeg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 618 times
hat.png
hat.png (253.1 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Honestly, if you watch the video, you can tell even RMN feels a bit awkward doing that.

Rock in a hat? What? I thought South Park was pulling my leg. Turns out the church was.
jsp.jpeg
jsp.jpeg (434.3 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Yes, I remember learning about the stone in the hat in 1998, and wondering the same thing. Why weren't we told about that? It made me wonder. It was the same old mistake church leaders have made, not telling the unvarnished truth, because they think members can't handle it.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Think about the concept of translate. The usual meaning of translate is to try and express the meaning conveyed by one language in another. But Joseph Smith didn't know any language except for English in 1829. So he didn't translate, at least in the usual sense. He either got ideas from God and expressed them in his own language, or he got the words from God.

The reason he put the stone in the hat and closely looked in the hat (closer than the picture with RMN) was to obscure the ambient light, which means he was seeing words somehow. He wouldn't need to block out ambient light if he was just getting ideas. And at a minimum, he had to see words to get the unfamiliar Book of Mormon names. But he was almost certainly getting words from God throughout the 'translation' process.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

My family calls me by my nickname....all my friends and old acquaintances call me by my middle name because that's what I went by in school. And in my adult work life, everybody calls me by my first name because it's what's on my ID. My wife calls me all 3 of my names. And my son calls me dad

So....

Getting caught up in names, "it says Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon" is an unintelligent argument.

For the world today, his name is Jesus Christ. It was always known this is what we would call him. You can call him Joshua and pretend it makes him and you more true....but you'd just be whiffing at the plate

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Mamabear wrote: October 22nd, 2022, 7:57 am I think it’s possible he authored it.
The church lied cuz it looks more ridiculous to the world with a stone in hat.
This seems more ridiculous to the world because the world is led by emotion and not logic.

Logic says that supernatural stuff, or the means by achieving the supernatural is a no limit game

Lol
What's more crazy, a pair of glasses that some immortal being gave to a kid.... Or a kid looking in a hat?

Logic says they are both equally ridiculous...

One guy hums until he can see a vision, one guy sits in silence and meditates till he can see a vision.....

The supernatural is ridiculous to natural.

Like you literally believe some angels going to blow his trumpet and you're going to be raised from your grave.....
LOL YET SOMEONE STARING IN A HAT AT A ROCK AND SEEING WORDS, THAT is SOMEHOW STUPID???