Make not gods of your prophets

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
HereWeGo
captain of 1,000

Re: Make not gods of your prophets

Post by HereWeGo »

I would also like to address a reason we may not be getting blessed with something we ask from the Lord. One time my wife asked the Lord why he wasn't granting her requests for help with one of the adult children. The thoughts came to her that she was not turning the problem over to Him. As long as she kept the problem in her area of influence, He would not step on her agency EVEN to grant what she desired. Even though He wanted to do what she asked. She then turned the problem over to Him and gave the agency to Him. She then asked for his help. Her desires were granted.

When we pray for His help now, we make sure that we give up our agency as part of the request and turn it over to Him. We stop worrying and controlling and put our faith and gratitude in Him. We've found it also helps us when we let go.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Moroni continues his discourse on the HG:

85) Verily, he has taught that it is by the power of the Holy Ghost that we shall test all things. Yea, it is by the gift of the Holy Ghost that we shall prove all things. And it is by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost that all things shall be made known, yea, all things shall become written in us as upon a book.

Now the conversation shifts and he speaks directly to this wicked high priest:

86) But behold, you have declared that to test your words by this great gift shall be accounted unto us as sin and for unrighteousness. Yea, you have condemned us for importuning the Peacemaker, saying that we must not seek a confirmation of anything that has already been spoken by the Prophet of the Peacemaker.

Now compare this to an oft repeated dogma within the LDS church:

“When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done. When they propose a plan–it is God’s plan. When they point the way, there is no other which is safe. When they give direction, it should mark the end of controversy. God works in no other way. To think otherwise, without immediate repentance, may cost one his faith, may destroy his testimony, and leave him a stranger to the kingdom of God.”

Sheri Dew took it even further, she said that you are “stupid” if you don’t follow the prophet.

As I’ve stated repeatedly, this single false precept taught within the LDS church will keep me from ever feeling like I belong in the church.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:59 am Moroni continues his discourse on the HG:

85) Verily, he has taught that it is by the power of the Holy Ghost that we shall test all things. Yea, it is by the gift of the Holy Ghost that we shall prove all things. And it is by the unspeakable gift of the Holy Ghost that all things shall be made known, yea, all things shall become written in us as upon a book.

86) But behold, you have declared that to test your words by this great gift shall be accounted unto us as sin and for unrighteousness. Yea, you have condemned us for importuning the Peacemaker, saying that we must not seek a confirmation of anything that has already been spoken by the Prophet of the Peacemaker.
Those are not Moroni's words. Pretty presumptuous of the writer to speak on his behalf.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:11 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 1st, 2022, 5:59 am Moroni continues his discourse on the HG:

Those are not Moroni's words. Pretty presumptuous of the writer to speak on his behalf.
That's ok, you can discount it all you like. BTW, the BoM was written in Reformed Egyptian, these records were not.

Regardless of your opinion, it still doesn't change the accuracy of the doctrinal premise covered in those verses.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 1st, 2022, 7:09 pm

That's ok, you can discount it all you like. BTW, the BoM was written in Reformed Egyptian, these records were not.

Regardless of your opinion, it still doesn't change the accuracy of the doctrinal premise covered in those verses.
If that doctrinal premise is accurate, and it might be, then surely similar can be found in actual revelation and scripture too.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JLHPROF wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:28 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 1st, 2022, 7:09 pm

If that doctrinal premise is accurate, and it might be, then surely similar can be found in actual revelation and scripture too.
It might be.....? Come on man. This is the most foundational doctrinal precept.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I feel this verse applies more here than the other thread I was commenting on:

114) For when all people sit at the feet of the Peacemaker for their teaching, and when all people are instructed of the Peacemaker in matters of doctrine and of understanding, behold, they shall all have become Prophets and Seers. Yea, they shall speak with the tongues of Angels and shall sit them down even on the right hand of Creation forever. Is there greater doctrine to be learned anywhere in the world than this? And is there any greater teacher to teach this doctrine than the author of it?

This is Moroni’s son recounting the teachings of his father.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: December 16th, 2022, 6:10 am

I think not.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

Robin Hood wrote: December 16th, 2022, 7:55 am

I think not.
I think it's no coincidence that when someone rejects mortal men holding priesthood authority over you that you would gravitate to teachings that support that idea.
Writers know their audiences.
There's an article called "A Real Representative of the Most High" that occasionally makes the rounds. It was written a few years before the Godbeites movement by one of its founders.
The Godbeites rejected priesthood leadership and embraced spiritualism (ie "personal revelation" etc).
This article, well received at the time and oft referenced by those heading in this direction much like this "scripture", had a clear read between-the-lines theme encouraging rejection of authority.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

JLHPROF wrote: December 16th, 2022, 8:18 am

I think not.
I think it's no coincidence that when someone rejects mortal men holding priesthood authority over you that you would gravitate to teachings that support that idea.
There's an article called "A Real Representative of the Most High" that occasionally makes the rounds. It was written a few years before the Godbeites movement by one of its founders.
The Godbeites rejected priesthood leadership and embraced spiritualism (ie "personal revelation" etc).
This article, well received at the time and oft referenced by those heading in this direction much like this "scripture", had a clear read between-the-lines theme encouraging rejection of authority.
Priesthood authority is dependent upon righteousness.

A fruit of authority is the ability to manifest priesthood POWER. I've seen none of that from today's ordained.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I think not.
Love you too RH

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

InfoWarrior82 wrote: December 16th, 2022, 8:23 am

I think not.
Not disagreeing.
Problem is that as soon as anyone in authority does anything people disagree with they simply proclaim them unrighteous and that frees them of any responsibility to obey those in authority.
It happened to Joseph repeatedly.
It's too easy to say "they did something wrong, that makes them unrighteous, so I reject their authority."
It simply doesn't work that way. For one thing only God can declare who is righteous.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

JLHPROF wrote: December 16th, 2022, 8:31 am
InfoWarrior82 wrote: December 16th, 2022, 8:23 am

I think not.
Not disagreeing.
Problem is that as soon as anyone in authority does anything people disagree with they simply proclaim them unrighteous and that frees them of any responsibility to obey those in authority.
It happened to Joseph repeatedly.
It's too easy to say "they did something wrong, that makes them unrighteous, so I reject their authority."
It simply doesn't work that way. For one thing only God can declare who is righteous.
I think those that made those claims about Joseph were unfounded because he continuously provided godly manifestations of priesthood power. He had a lot of actual fruits for all to examine and pray about.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I think not.
The scriptures are full of examples of how men honor and dishonor keys and authority. The BoM is one of the greatest books to condemn modern-day Pharisees.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

hyloglyph wrote: October 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm The main thing about the OP that will get folks to flinch a little whether they know it or post it or not is—

It could be viewed as being in very poor judgement to use apocryphal books claiming to be written by actual Book of Mormon type/era people as a source text for a morning study with KIDS.

In doing so you are framing the books as equal to the Book of Mormon or New Testament.

That might be fine for adults because there could be good concepts in the books.

But to do it with kids while you are supposed to be laying a solid foundation for them with texts that you can take to the bank like the Book of Mormon and Sermon on the Mount— could be seen as idiotic, negligent, unwise, borderline abusive, and could be thought to likely lead to confusion down the road.
This aged well. Still one of my favorite books of scripture.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:01 pm
hyloglyph wrote: October 21st, 2022, 1:00 pm The main thing about the OP that will get folks to flinch a little whether they know it or post it or not is—

It could be viewed as being in very poor judgement to use apocryphal books claiming to be written by actual Book of Mormon type/era people as a source text for a morning study with KIDS.

In doing so you are framing the books as equal to the Book of Mormon or New Testament.

That might be fine for adults because there could be good concepts in the books.

But to do it with kids while you are supposed to be laying a solid foundation for them with texts that you can take to the bank like the Book of Mormon and Sermon on the Mount— could be seen as idiotic, negligent, unwise, borderline abusive, and could be thought to likely lead to confusion down the road.
No idea what you’re talking about

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

hyloglyph wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:09 pm

My children have benefited far more from reading the record discussed in this thread than anything the LDS leaders have taught in over 200 years.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:13 pm
My children have benefited far more from reading the record discussed in this thread than anything the LDS leaders have taught in over 200 years.
Okay….what does that have to do with anything?

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

hyloglyph wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:14 pm
I find it interesting what people think is of value these days and the effort we choose to put into learning. Your comment in the other thread had me look back at your posts and I saw we had some interaction on this thread…

So people know what you said over there: “ the rest of us) fall half asleep before we can get to anything other than just various words rammed together in an uninspiring and predictable way”

One of the greatest things I could have done to help my children was to teach them to seek Christ and validate all things through the Spirit. That’s the most repeated doctrine in the Nemenhah Records. Far more than any other book of scripture. So yeah, it’s interesting what you may consider “uninspiring” is one of the greatest treasures I’ve come to embrace.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I think the OP verses are worth repeating here:

————
39) And in this thing did the Peacemaker teach us all a great lesson. It is true that the Peacemaker does call out Prophets from among the people. But, let not any people begin in the belief that the calling out makes a man not a man.

40) The Prophet of the Peacemaker is given great gifts of the Holy Ghost. Yea, he may speak with the tongues of Angels and with them, and, if he has the gift of the seer, he may translate strange languages.

41) And behold, the Prophet leads and guides the people in the will and work of the Peacemaker also. But, know this all you who read these things and ponder them in your hearts, the Prophet is fallible.

42) He is not perfect, and his counsels are not perfect. And, though we count ourselves blessed because the Peacemaker does see fit to call and raise up unto us His Prophets, it is because He does this that we feel constrained to subject all things unto the confirmation of the Holy Ghost, howbeit even the words of a Prophet.

43) Behold, the Peacemaker has spoken it: Thou shalt make no other gods before me. Wherefore, make not gods of your Prophets! For they will be false gods and idols.

44) For, even if they be called of the Peacemaker and appointed, yea, even if they be anointed by the very finger of the Peacemaker, they are yet simple men and you will have made unto yourselves gods that shall fall.
————

How in the world did the LDS leadership (and members) fall so far from these truths?

I wish the church would teach even the simple truths from the BoM:

31 Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man, or maketh flesh his arm, or shall hearken unto the precepts of men, save their precepts shall be given by the power of the Holy Ghost.

I’m sorry some of you may think these things are “uninspiring.”

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:23 pm
I find it interesting what people think is of value these days and the effort we choose to put into learning. Your comment in the other thread had me look back at your posts and I saw we had some interaction on this thread…

So people know what you said over there: “ the rest of us) fall half asleep before we can get to anything other than just various words rammed together in an uninspiring and predictable way”

One of the greatest things I could have done to help my children was to teach them to seek Christ and validate all things through the Spirit. That’s the most repeated doctrine in the Nemenhah Records. Far more than any other book of scripture. So yeah, it’s interesting what you may consider “uninspiring” is one of the greatest treasures I’ve come to embrace.
When did I say that it might be unwise to teach young children that the nemenhah writings are on the same level as the Book of Mormon and the Sermon on the mount?

I wrote that maybe years ago?

It’s still true LOL.

What I wrote was right on.

It will take maybe a decade or more to see results. Even if what is written in the book is good (I like the nemenhah records).

If you are wrong about the nemenhaha stuff then you threw off your children’s ability to discern scripture aka the Lords words. You bent their compass.

You won’t see the effects of this for years and years. So please, don’t do a touchdown dance just yet. I would have guessed that you still like them a couple years later. That is yes— both predictable and uninspiring like I said in the other thread.

What I say still stands: it is unwise to present this nemenha writings to young children as equal in value to the Book of Mormon or sermon on the mount.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

hyloglyph wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:34 pm

When did I say that it might be unwise to teach young children that the nemenhah writings are on the same level as the Book of Mormon and the Sermon on the mount?

It’s still true LOL.

It will take maybe a decade or more to see results. Even if what is written in the book is good (I like the nemenhah records).

If you are wrong about the nemenhaha stuff then you threw off your children’s ability to discern scripture aka the Lords words. You bent their compass.

You won’t see the effects of this for years and years. So please, don’t do a touchdown dance just yet. I would have guessed that you still like them a couple years later. That is yes— both predictable and uninspiring like I said in the other thread.

What I say still stands: it is unwise to present this nemenha writings to young children as equal in value as book or Mormon or sermon on the mount.
Spoken from a person who doesn’t even know the Record. Just don’t assume that these viewpoints have been made with little effort or in ignorance. I think the Records not only rival, but superseded any of the BoM writings. There are two visits from the Savior and extended discourses by Him, plus a far more in depth temple endowment with none of the masonic touches. Not to mention the record contains the writings of a people who rarely fell to the same ills as the Nephites. The BoM is a record of a fallen people. The NR is of a people who were killed and pillaged by the Gentiles.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on February 22nd, 2024, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:35 pm
hyloglyph wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:34 pm

It’s still true LOL.

What I say still stands: it is unwise to present this nemenha writings to young children as equal in value as book or Mormon or sermon on the mount.
Spoken from a person who doesn’t even know the Record.
I read them fully and had a hard copy of them before you’d ever heard of them.

We already had this conversation years ago.

Again— what you write is predictable and uninspiring. And now it’s also repetitive and uninformed.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

hyloglyph wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 8:38 pm I read them fully and had a hard copy of them before you’d ever heard of them.

We already had this conversation years ago.

Again— what you write predictable and uninspiring. And now it’s also repetitive and uninformed.
haha, ok. Good luck HG.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

BTW, I’d challenge anyone to find a more parallel doctrine to what I just quoted in any of the LDS doctrines or discourses since Brigham Young. It doesn’t exist. The leaders have made lesser gods of themselves. Or they speak out of both sides of their face. The only thing more “uninspiring” is the outright contradictions to Christ’s teachings in the LDS church. But of course, most just call me a bitter “ex mo” nowadays.