The Chosen, Season 3 Trailer

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

The Chosen, Season 3 Trailer

Post by marc »

Can't wait! ♥️

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Re: The Chosen, Season 3 Trailer

Post by FrankOne »

marc wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:01 pm Can't wait! ♥️
thanks for posting this. My wife and I have been looking for a good program to watch. It's almost impossible to find anything good in this day and age. We'll check it out. I checked reviews and it gets the highest rating of any series I've ever found 9.4/10. 27,000+ voted. Checking into the ratings, it shows that everyone over 18yrs old gave it over 9 stars. Those under 18 was 5.4 stars. No bueno.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

FrankOne wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:16 pm
thanks for posting this. My wife and I have been looking for a good program to watch. It's almost impossible to find anything good in this day and age. We'll check it out. I checked reviews and it gets the highest rating of any series I've ever found 9.4/10. 27,000+ voted. Checking into the ratings, it shows that everyone over 18yrs old gave it over 9 stars. Those under 18 was 5.4 stars. No bueno.
Definitely worth watching. The Chosen might be the best series I've ever seen....of any and all shows.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

FrankOne wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:16 pm Those under 18 was 5.4 stars. No bueno.
If they make and anime version, that will increase in no time.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I love how easy it is to relate to the characters in The Chosen, especially the disciples. I appreciate our church's videos like the BoM series, but I don't like the King Jamesness about them. It makes them so unrelatable to me. Just my opinion; I am nobody.
Last edited by marc on October 20th, 2022, 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

FrankOne wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:16 pm
I will give my honest review: this is the Jesus I know.

Or at least as close as I have ever seen depicted.

Why couldn't TCOJCOLDS have made this when it made it's bible and book of Mormon videos? A question I fear to look too closely at.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

I agree 1000%. After I saw the first couple episodes,I knew that this could be a tool that would help lead people to Christ. Countless viewers have been led to accepting Christ through this series. In all truthfulness, this series is likely having a more pronounced impact on the world right now than our entire missionary force. I believe that Dallas, and the other producers, were inspired to create this series at this critical time. The fruits are GOOD.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Those of you who are just discovering this series and decide to watch it from the beginning, keep in mind it started out as a "backyard" production with crumbs for a budget. So the sets and pieces are not grand at first.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

marc wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:59 pm Those of you who are just discovering this series and decide to watch it from the beginning, keep in mind it started out as a "backyard" production with crumbs for a budget. So the sets and pieces are not grand at first.
Based on the recommendations of everyone here, I will give it a shot again.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

For us cable-cutters, it’s on the Peacock app (which is free). Gonna start watching season 1 tonight. Looking forward to it.

Edit to add: we have an Apple TV
Last edited by BigT on October 20th, 2022, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

marc wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:49 pm I love how easy it is to relate to the characters in The Chosen, especially the disciples. I appreciate our church's videos like the BoM series, but I don't like the King Jamesness about them. It makes them so unrelatable to me. Just my opinion; I am nobody.
I revisited Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth recently and it manages to lose the KJVness without being disrespectful. There are some minor issues like John's mode of baptism but otherwise that was a great series of its time.
Last edited by Niemand on October 20th, 2022, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

BigT wrote: October 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm For us cable-cutters, it’s on the Peacock app (which is free). Gonna start watching season 1 tonight. Looking forward to it.
The Chosen also has its own app which you can download free from the Google app store or Apple and watch freely. You can also find it here:

https://watch.angelstudios.com/thechosen

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

BigT wrote: October 20th, 2022, 4:33 pm For us cable-cutters, it’s on the Peacock app (which is free). Gonna start watching season 1 tonight. Looking forward to it.
Also free to stream from BYUtv.org.

I just wanted to mention another options for people like me who don't have tv or any sort of streaming services and don't use apps. I can watch it on my laptop or a phone from there.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Yay! I've been hoping it would come out soon.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

blitzinstripes wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:54 pm I agree 1000%. After I saw the first couple episodes,I knew that this could be a tool that would help lead people to Christ. Countless viewers have been led to accepting Christ through this series. In all truthfulness, this series is likely having a more pronounced impact on the world right now than our entire missionary force. I believe that Dallas, and the other producers, were inspired to create this series at this critical time. The fruits are GOOD.
I know that after I started watching it, I became more interested in reading the NT again, because now the apostles seem like real people to me.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I watch it on their website from my laptop.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

I just finished watching S 1 episode 1.

It was good. As with most series', even the best ones, it starts a bit slow, but the acting is well done. It picked up through to the end. I can see that they are going many directions at the same time to create a foundation for many narratives that obviously develop through the series. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

FrankOne wrote: October 20th, 2022, 7:44 pm I just finished watching S 1 episode 1.

It was good. As with most series', even the best ones, it starts a bit slow, but the acting is well done. It picked up through to the end. I can see that they are going many directions at the same time to create a foundation for many narratives that obviously develop through the series. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one. Thanks again for the recommendation.
I predict you will be hooked by the end of Episode 4.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness: I'm appalled by it. Sorry, it's just not biblical and detracts from the Deity of Jesus. Almost as bad as "Jesus Christ Superstar", IMO.

I'm appalled and shocked that anyone from my church thinks Jesus got help writing the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew. That he was a nervous wreck, pacing around, unsure, trying to get the wording right, getting feedback. The producers act like, "We don't know how He came up with it....". Oh, we most certainly DO know - have they not read the Bible? Jesus says multiple times he only said the words God told him to say. Are they trying to dumb Him down and make Him appeal to "the commoners"? Because He was anything but common, yet he could eat with rulers just as well as He could with harlots. It's like they are coloring over the Mona Lisa with crayons - on an un-imaginably higher scale.

These guys (in the video clip) are decidedly anti-Mormon, but this clip from The Chosen is decidedly Anti-Christ (as God), so...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioc7enFBDQ4 (season 2, episode 8)

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

mudflap wrote: October 20th, 2022, 8:07 pm
I'm appalled and shocked that anyone from my church thinks Jesus got help writing the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew. That he was a nervous wreck, pacing around, unsure, trying to get the wording right, getting feedback.
hm. that is exactly what I wouldn't be able to handle. I give that a name in modern tv shows. "When an actor goes off character". This happens in many tv series. They do a great job for a few seasons as an honest good guy but then changes into a selfish, weak imbecile. It's as if modern tv has to destroy the character of those that are good in order to perpetuate their series. I've seen that happen many times and I just turn it off.

In the case of Christ as mentioned above, Christ being unsure of himself? Nervous? Asking for help from men on points of the gospel of .....Christ....? uh. no. Who is the master and who are the students? This reminds me of modern tv where the parents defer to children for their wisdom on a serious subject which the child cannot even comprehend.

Christ is the manifestation of God himself in the flesh.

edit to add: I watched the youtube clip where Mathew and Christ debate with each other over the content of the sermon. I couldn't watch it to the end of the debate. Christ was totally out of character. Not for me. Oh well.

Allison
captain of 1,000

Post by Allison »

mudflap wrote: October 20th, 2022, 8:07 pm I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness: I'm appalled by it. Sorry, it's just not biblical and detracts from the Deity of Jesus. Almost as bad as "Jesus Christ Superstar", IMO.

I'm appalled and shocked that anyone from my church thinks Jesus got help writing the Sermon on the Mount from Matthew. That he was a nervous wreck, pacing around, unsure, trying to get the wording right, getting feedback. The producers act like, "We don't know how He came up with it....". Oh, we most certainly DO know - have they not read the Bible? Jesus says multiple times he only said the words God told him to say. Are they trying to dumb Him down and make Him appeal to "the commoners"? Because He was anything but common, yet he could eat with rulers just as well as He could with harlots. It's like they are coloring over the Mona Lisa with crayons - on an un-imaginably higher scale.

These guys (in the video clip) are decidedly anti-Mormon, but this clip from The Chosen is decidedly Anti-Christ (as God), so...:

We do know it’s historical fiction. It’s like The Work and the Glory books. We also know there is no reason to believe Matthew had a crush on Mary Magdalene, nor to think he had OCD. Oh, there’s just so much that is clearly fiction, if one is familiar at all with the New Testament. We get that. Yet there have been some parts that caused us to go back and look things up to see if we missed something. For example, was there ever really a Quintus?

Even the Church productions require a certain amount of artistic license, since none of us have video recordings or transcripts of ancient events. For example, was Nephi (at time of the Savior’s visit) a stocky, outgoing fellow, balding, with long gray hair? If anyone wants to portray those ancient times, they have to resort to a lot of imagination and guesswork, and then it falls upon us to know we are just seeing someone’s best guess at what things might have been like.

I do have a problem with the video of the Savior’s Book of Mormon visit: They portray him grinning a lot, and I just find that hard to imagine. To me, it doesn’t even look loving, so much as people-pleasing. Ugh.

Jesus in The Chosen has a very different demeanor—much love, tenderness, and compassion, but almost with an overlay of sorrow, it seems. It makes sense that He might have already been becoming aware of the enormity of His burden.

When we show The Chosen to our nonmember friend who has fallen in love with Jesus now, we often say, “We knows He is at least that wonderful!” And we often remind her that there is nothing in scripture to support this or that about the plot or characters. But we don’t need to say that to ourselves, nor our other nonmember friend, because we have all read the New Testament often enough that we can tell what is fiction.

And, where do you get the impression that Dallas is anti-Mormon? He got in a lot of trouble for saying that we worship the same Jesus that he worships. He finally had to clarify for the record that the Mormons he personally knows worship the same Jesus that he does.

Just my two cents, though. The Chosen isn’t perfect, but we still love it.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Allison wrote: October 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm
mudflap wrote: October 20th, 2022, 8:07 pm I'm going to be the lone voice in the wilderness: I'm appalled by it. Sorry, it's just not biblical and detracts from the Deity of Jesus. Almost as bad as "Jesus Christ Superstar", IMO.

We do know it’s historical fiction. It’s like The Work and the Glory books. We also know there is no reason to believe Matthew had a crush on Mary Magdalene, nor to think he had OCD. Oh, there’s just so much that is clearly fiction, if one is familiar at all with the New Testament. We get that. Yet there have been some parts that caused us to go back and look things up to see if we missed something. For example, was there ever really a Quintus?

Even the Church productions require a certain amount of artistic license, since none of us have video recordings or transcripts of ancient events. For example, was Nephi (at time of the Savior’s visit) a stocky, outgoing fellow, balding, with long gray hair? If anyone wants to portray those ancient times, they have to resort to a lot of imagination and guesswork, and then it falls upon us to know we are just seeing someone’s best guess at what things might have been like.

I do have a problem with the video of the Savior’s Book of Mormon visit: They portray him grinning a lot, and I just find that hard to imagine. To me, it doesn’t even look loving, so much as people-pleasing. Ugh.

Jesus in The Chosen has a very different demeanor—much love, tenderness, and compassion, but almost with an overlay of sorrow, it seems. It makes sense that He might have already been becoming aware of the enormity of His burden.

When we show The Chosen to our nonmember friend who has fallen in love with Jesus now, we often say, “We knows He is at least that wonderful!” And we often remind her that there is nothing in scripture to support this or that about the plot or characters. But we don’t need to say that to ourselves, nor our other nonmember friend, because we have all read the New Testament often enough that we can tell what is fiction.

And, where do you get the impression that Dallas is anti-Mormon? He got in a lot of trouble for saying that we worship the same Jesus that he worships. He finally had to clarify for the record that the Mormons he personally knows worship the same Jesus that he does.

I'll pass on the chosen. I don't need the story of my Savior and my Creator fictionalized so it is more entertaining or interesting. It was the reason I stopped watching the first time. It felt like a bunch of millennials pretending they lived in Israel 2000 years ago.

As to the Savior grinning in the BOM vidoes.. this is exactly what we have seen from the brethren over the last few years. Everyone (except Bednar) is trying their hardest to smile as often as they can. It really does come across as fake. Especially when you consider the context of the Saviors visit. I would expect an empathetic face and concerned face after their entire lives were turned upside down.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Allison wrote: October 20th, 2022, 8:58 pm

I don't get the impression Dallas is Anti-Mormon. The ones who made this youtube clip apparently are, however. But the way the producers sit around behind the scenes saying "What if...." and "we don't know how HE came up with the Sermon", etc, shows me they know little about the scriptures. very little. But maybe that's not their point. OTOH, they are trying to represent Christ, so....ulterior motive? or ignorance? Maybe both?

But fair enough - if it's just entertainment, it's a lot better than Beyonce gyrating or Taylor Swift letting us know how cray-cray she is.

It just doesn't line up with the Christ I read in the scriptures, so it turns my stomach to the point I just can't.

Anyway, it's not just Chosen - Remember that Book of Mormon movie where even after 8 years in the wilderness, their clothes were all still fresh and clean? It was in the theaters in Utah even. But it flopped pretty hard. sucked actually.

What I'd like to see: Hollywood style special effects and lots of gore take on Captain Moroni. or Shiz and Coriantumr. It could be like the movie 300 - only gorier. Anyway, it'll never be done, so.....

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Yes, this series will probably not resonate with people who have preconceived notions that conflict with some artistic license. Plenty of other Christians are ripping it apart online, mostly by people who frankly don't know the Bible nearly as well as they think think they do.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

An LDS coworker said it looked fake to him and said Mary Magdelene wasn't possessed. I showed him Luke 8:2. He claimed that doesn't mean she was possessed. Like I said, preconceived notions.