LDS Church Hacked, Membership Records Stolen

Discuss political news items / current events.
HeberC
captain of 100

Re: LDS Church Hacked, Membership Records Stolen

Post by HeberC »

State sponsored hacking... chances of harm 'is low... 'that are not intended to harm individuals'. And they are 'doing all we can to safeguard..' and they are trying their best to make sure that data are not misused.

It doesn't add up. The claim that a state-sponsored hack is not intended to cause harm is an insult to intelligence. If there is no criminal intent, why investigate it? Why were the criminal hackers given a six month head start before we were notified? Why are we still being lied to and not being given any useful information? China is our friend and they mean us well? The church claims to know the hackers intent and wants to continue to cover for them. Apparently, this state-sponsored hacker organization is trusted by the church and I am not trusted. Is anyone on this forum trusted as much as the hackers are? If so, maybe you can share some useful information with us that is not forthcoming from the church,

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Niemand wrote: October 19th, 2022, 4:44 pm Firstly, there is the fact you now have to book to use it. Great except it deters casual visitors, and ignores the fact many of its users are elderly and not tech savvy, so many don't go. They've kept this going after this Covid scare has died down.

Thirdly, the current temple president has banned ward visits. How crazy is that? I was discussing this with my bishop recently, he's not a fan of this policy either and we were trying to develop workarounds.
My local temple requires us to book the attendance too. When we have ward temple days, each person needs to book their own attendance. You could do the same. If everyone books it individually, the temple doesn’t know if it is a ward temple day.
It might be just a poorly designed booking software, which does not allow group bookings.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

BenMcCrea wrote: October 19th, 2022, 4:55 pm I’ve heard that details of Church members confessions and disciplinary hearings have also been hacked along with personal details like names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, bank details etc
What is your source?
If your information is true, it had been very stupid move from the church to out-right lie in their statement. They would more likely just used a vague language about the extent of the breach. If the church is good at something, it is the use of double-speak, where every word is checked by an army of lawyers.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

inho wrote: October 20th, 2022, 3:36 am
Niemand wrote: October 19th, 2022, 4:44 pm Firstly, there is the fact you now have to book to use it. Great except it deters casual visitors, and ignores the fact many of its users are elderly and not tech savvy, so many don't go. They've kept this going after this Covid scare has died down.

Thirdly, the current temple president has banned ward visits. How crazy is that? I was discussing this with my bishop recently, he's not a fan of this policy either and we were trying to develop workarounds.
My local temple requires us to book the attendance too. When we have ward temple days, each person needs to book their own attendance. You could do the same. If everyone books it individually, the temple doesn’t know if it is a ward temple day.
It might be just a poorly designed booking software, which does not allow group bookings.
I don't know what's up with this temple president. I've had people ask me when we're having the next ward trip. Apparently we can't do ward trips but we can do stake trips, stake YSA/youth etc trips How the heck does that work?

I've discussed workarounds with our bishop. One means would be to have a number of ward members turn up "coincidentally" on the same day, like you say.

Last thing I heard barely anyone's going there anymore for the reasons just stated. Maybe it's the old Covid problem i.e. because people became so used to doing nothing over lockdown they still don't want to.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Familysearch also hacked.

FamilySearch Account Data Incident
In late March 2022, FamilySearch International detected unauthorized activity in certain computer systems that affected personal data of some FamilySearch.org registered users. The affected data did not include users’ family tree data.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

I don't know why everyone is so upset, change your name, address, ph number, ss number etc, and of course you can even change your gender. Good to go.. :evil:

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I got an email earlier this list that I was on the list of those whose information was compromised. I teach network defense courses. It's frustrating but true that the laws are written such that when a breach occurs the organization is not required to notify the individuals (clients) involved in a timely manner. The lost data is rarely if ever recovered. The fact that it took the church so long to let the members know (especially letting the public know first, then those members whose information was compromised) shows the sad fact that the bureaucrats are fully in charge of the church now.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Sunain wrote: October 21st, 2022, 1:11 pm Familysearch also hacked.

In late March 2022, FamilySearch International detected unauthorized activity in certain computer systems that affected personal data of some FamilySearch.org registered users. The affected data did not include users’ family tree data.
FamilySearch is even more inaccurate than the Church's database of addresses and phone numbers. Whoever paid for this is going to get a truckload of dud data.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Niemand wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 4:03 am

FamilySearch is even more inaccurate than the Church's database of addresses and phone numbers. Whoever paid for this is going to get a truckload of dud data.
FamilySearch is annoying because they were also linking together people that weren't part of families and there was no way to block it. So that data is inaccurate too!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Sunain wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 6:51 am
Niemand wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 4:03 am

FamilySearch is annoying because they were also linking together people that weren't part of families and there was no way to block it. So that data is inaccurate too!
It's terrible. I was discussing this with another brother in the stake who I know for a fact has worked very hard on his tree. His family tree has been trashed by this.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Sunain wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 6:51 am FamilySearch is annoying because they were also linking together people that weren't part of families and there was no way to block it. So that data is inaccurate too!
And the fact that apparently anyone can add random people to families. Some person I don't know had two brothers sealed to my parents in the Colorado temple. One of those "brothers" was my sister, whose name they misspelled. ALL of my parents' children were born in the covenant! I complained and they sort of fixed it; but they should have deleted both children. My parents DID NOT have twin boys nor twins wherein one was a girl and one was a boy - who all died on the same day in the same fire.

I think they read some newspaper talking about the deaths (and papers are notorious for misspelling names, and getting info wrong) and decided to be good Samaritans even though they knew nothing about the family.

Gadget
captain of 100

Post by Gadget »

relax people, the chins are just making their beheading list.

All is well in zion, you can go about your mundane lives...

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Gadget wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 12:09 pm relax people, the chins are just making their beheading list.

All is well in zion, you can go about your mundane lives...
You may not be far wrong. There are a lot Chinese people on that membership list.