Student Accidentally Creates Rechargeable Battery That Lasts 400 Years

Discuss political news items / current events.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Student Accidentally Creates Rechargeable Battery That Lasts 400 Years

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

"“Mya was playing around, and she coated this whole thing with a very thin gel layer and started to cycle it,” says Reginald Penner, chair of UCI’s chemistry department. “She discovered that, just by using this gel, she could cycle it hundreds of thousands of times without losing any capacity.”

https://awarenessact.com/student-accide ... 400-years/

Here's the UCI article:
https://news.uci.edu/2016/04/20/all-powered-up/

I want one of these for my 72 hr kit. :)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Student Accidentally Creates Rechargeable Battery That Lasts 400 Years

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 12th, 2022, 9:03 am "“Mya was playing around, and she coated this whole thing with a very thin gel layer and started to cycle it,” says Reginald Penner, chair of UCI’s chemistry department. “She discovered that, just by using this gel, she could cycle it hundreds of thousands of times without losing any capacity.”

Here's the UCI article:

👍We need Bro Jones to chine in on this

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Now we just need a 400 year solar panel.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:22 am Now we just need a 400 year solar panel.
Talk to BuriedTartaria - they had all kinds of tech like this before they destroyed/hid it a couple hundred years ago in the world reset. They built massive batteries made of rock and clay like this one. Now they call them the "Coke Oven Ruins" and pretend all that advanced either energy harvesting and storage were "pioneer ovens".
Attachments
3715673_orig.jpg
3715673_orig.jpg (258.8 KiB) Viewed 616 times

Joan7
captain of 100

Post by Joan7 »

https://www.carbonutah.com/attraction/coke-ovens/

Abandoned coke ovens honor the area’s rich coal mining history. At one time there were 800 coke ovens East of Sunnyside Utah and 300 near Dragerton Utah. The 800 ovens have all been covered over with earth, however, some of the ovens located in East Carbon can still be seen today. These ovens were built during World War II near the Horse Canyon mine close to the coal for the coke ovens.

Today, the East Carbon Coke Ovens are what remains of a once bustling industry.

Today, the coke ovens are a popular tourist attraction, most notably history enthusiasts and photographers flock to the area. A picnic area and restroom mark the beginning of the trailhead. As always, please visit with respect. These are valuable remains of our past that can never be replaced.

Coking is the process of burning out impurities from the extracted coal to create a more pure fuel product. The coke weighed half the weight of coal, making it easier to ship and was in high demand back in the day of steam engines in the late nineteenth century.

When the ovens were working there was a rail line that ran along the top of the ovens. Rail cars loaded with coal would travel along the top of the ovens and stop over each two ovens to deposit coal through a round hole in the top of the oven. Another rail line ran along in front of the ovens at a lower level. When the coal had burned down to the coke residue, the oven door would be opened and the operator with a long rod having a L shaped hook on one end would take coke out of the oven over a screen that separated the ashes from the coke. The coke was then scraped into a wheelbarrow. When the wheelbarrow was full of coke the operator would push the wheelbarrow up a ramp and dump the coke into the waiting rail car. The remaining ovens were permanently closed in 1958.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I had worked for some years on a car that ran on water. I ran it more than 180,000 miles and it was still going strong.

But I got drunk one night and parked it in the wrong place. With all the plans and diagrams and schematics and calculations for it in it.

It was towed away to the scrap yard and ultimately the junk yard.

Unfortunately at the time I didn't have the money to get it out of impound.

Later when I got enough money from my girlfriend, it had already gone to the crusher. With the plans.

That was when I switched over and built my nuclear reactor to generate electricity for my house.
dc

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

David13 wrote: October 12th, 2022, 11:28 pm I had worked for some years on a car that ran on water. I ran it more than 180,000 miles and it was still going strong.

But I got drunk one night and parked it in the wrong place. With all the plans and diagrams and schematics and calculations for it in it.

Later when I got enough money from my girlfriend, it had already gone to the crusher. With the plans.

That was when I switched over and built my nuclear reactor to generate electricity for my house.
dc
I hope you don't get drunk and misplace your house. :)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 13th, 2022, 5:42 am
David13 wrote: October 12th, 2022, 11:28 pm I had worked for some years on a car that ran on water. I ran it more than 180,000 miles and it was still going strong.

dc
I hope you don't get drunk and misplace your house. :)

Hey, I'm not the kind of guy that ever has any reluctance.
dc

Gadget
captain of 100

Post by Gadget »

How does someone cycle a battery 100k times to test it? In one year, you would have to charge and drain it every 6 minutes or so.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Cruiserdude wrote: October 12th, 2022, 9:13 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 12th, 2022, 9:03 am "“Mya was playing around, and she coated this whole thing with a very thin gel layer and started to cycle it,” says Reginald Penner, chair of UCI’s chemistry department. “She discovered that, just by using this gel, she could cycle it hundreds of thousands of times without losing any capacity.”

Here's the UCI article:

👍We need Bro Jones to chine in on this
My thoughts exactly!