Bednar’s talk

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Bednar’s talk

Post by Mamabear »

Interesting article on Bednar’s talk from conference. Accused of plagiarism.

https://religionnews.com/2022/10/06/lds ... id-bednar/

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Bednar’s talk

Post by Fred »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:37 am Interesting article on Bednar’s talk from conference. Accused of plagiarism.

What does one do when he has zero inspiration or revelation? He has no testimony as the god he worships is a communist totalitarian. He could quote previous Q15 as so many do. But he wants to be quoted by others. Vanity and pride, and a desire to cheat and deceive, lead him to steal someone else's words.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am
Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:37 am Interesting article on Bednar’s talk from conference. Accused of plagiarism.

What does one do when he has zero inspiration or revelation? He has no testimony as the god he worships is a communist totalitarian. He could quote previous Q15 as so many do. But he wants to be quoted by others. Vanity and pride, and a desire to cheat and deceive, lead him to steal someone else's words.
Look at his sneer during his talk.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ar_during/

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

wouldn't be the first time . . plagarism, I mean, not accusations

many of those who speak in conference do it and they don't give credit to the one they are quoting

four or five years ago, one of the primary leaders quoted Mother Teresa but claimed that it was a quote from a religious, or famous (I can't remember) person. but anyone with brains recognized the quote as being from the nun.

EvanLM
captain of 1,000

Post by EvanLM »

wow . . .what an excellent article . . .

I love the part:
Park said that early leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were seen as religious innovators, deeply interested in matters of theology and doctrine. Today, however, church leaders are more likely to come from business or corporate backgrounds and are charged with managing a church that has become global and corporate. While they are often called on to speak in public, their messages are frequently about inspiration and morality rather than interpreting biblical texts.

“In the modern church, leaders have become more like bureaucrats than theologians,” Park said.

and this part: The academic honesty policy at Brigham Young University-Idaho, where Bednar was once president, warns about both intentional and unintentional plagiarism.

I have prayed for years now that the church would have their sins shouted from the housetops from the prophets down to the member.

Since someone noticed this and not me then it proves that they are moving away from the scriptures for teaching and into the story and glamour world . . words of men as well . . . bringing in the world which is a sign of apostasy

I think that there are many inspired people in the world and Bednar just came to task on his shame for changing the way that people look at the church under his watch compared to the older apostles that are still remembered in this article. Kinda hard to expect converts with this careless teaching.

I have a family that would only have a fit over me bringing this to their attention. They can bring white elephant sex toys to the xmas party but don't say anything bad about their prophets.

must be some embarrasment with hypocrisy

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Isaiah called it vomit.

8 For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.
9 ¶ Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am... lead him to steal someone else's words.
Or it was his speech writer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know this for sure, but I've seen comments (on LDS related reddit subforums) from people who have claimed to be a speech writer for their Conference talks. It wouldn't surprise me that they use speech writers.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

You know he was implying that the masonic temple garments are on par with the wedding garments that the king dressed his guests in. Implication is that if you're not on-board with whatever they are wanting you to now think, to qualify for a temple recommend, you are an imposter that is going to be bound hand-and-foot and cast into outer darkness. Bednar is far from Jesus, I think.

Those scowls in the video were really ugly. It's a bit over-the-top. Makes me wonder if somebody doctored the video to make him look especially evil. If that was actually how he looked giving his talk, this is another indication that people should stop considering these men as prophets. God is not a peevish bully.

briznian
captain of 100

Post by briznian »

From the article in the OP:
“In his global address this past weekend, Elder Bednar made reference to and quoted insight provided by Christian author, John O. Reid,” said Doug Andersen, a church spokesman, in an email. “Mr. Reid was mentioned by name and referenced on multiple occasions in footnotes. The transcript of his remarks is published for all to see. For those who would try to find fault, we would invite you to consider the spirit of his message.”
Also from the OP:
Bednar also read several quotes from Reid and from Elder James E. Talmage, an LDS leader who died in 1933, crediting some, but giving the impression that the ideas were his own. Footnotes to Reid’s article and Talmage’s work, as well as other sources, do appear in the published version of Bednar’s talk — but material from both appears without quotation marks.
They tell us to study their words. I guess its the people's fault for studying their words too closely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

creator wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm
Fred wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:44 am... lead him to steal someone else's words.

I don't know this for sure, but I've seen comments (on LDS related reddit subforums) from people who have claimed to be a speech writer for their Conference talks. It wouldn't surprise me that they use speech writers.
If that’s true that’s incredibly lame and telling.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:42 pm You know he was implying that the masonic temple garments are on par with the wedding garments that the king dressed his guests in. Implication is that if you're not on-board with whatever they are wanting you to now think, to qualify for a temple recommend, you are an imposter that is going to be bound hand-and-foot and cast into outer darkness. Bednar is far from Jesus, I think.

Those scowls in the video were really ugly. It's a bit over-the-top. Makes me wonder if somebody doctored the video to make him look especially evil. If that was actually how he looked giving his talk, this is another indication that people should stop considering these men as prophets. God is not a peevish bully.
Here’s the talk go to the 7:50 mark. Both sneers happen around 8:00
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U_96DNRQ_38

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:47 pm
Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:42 pm You know he was implying that the masonic temple garments are on par with the wedding garments that the king dressed his guests in. Implication is that if you're not on-board with whatever they are wanting you to now think, to qualify for a temple recommend, you are an imposter that is going to be bound hand-and-foot and cast into outer darkness. Bednar is far from Jesus, I think.

I’ve been watching some body language analysis videos, and the experts would have a heyday with Bednar’s sneers. Pure contempt, and not subtle in the least. That can’t be doctored on the video, IMO.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:51 pm

I’ve been watching some body language analysis videos, and the experts would have a heyday with Bednar’s sneers. Pure contempt, and not subtle in the least. That can’t be doctored on the video, IMO.
4760168B-986A-4DC9-BE04-FDD30A22CAEF.jpeg
4760168B-986A-4DC9-BE04-FDD30A22CAEF.jpeg (155.46 KiB) Viewed 1611 times

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Wow! Well, I'd bet he's been snooping around on LDSFF and got his panties in a wad. Wait until the calamity overtakes these worms and it'll be a vexation to even hear the report thereof. They are, after all, at the head of the line.

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:52 pm
Lizzy60 wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:51 pm

4760168B-986A-4DC9-BE04-FDD30A22CAEF.jpeg
I've seen RMN do "scary face", as well. Just to get the point across to the right-brained people, where words may not have been sufficient.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Chip wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Wow! Well, I'd bet he's been snooping around on LDSFF and got his panties in a wad. Wait until the calamity overtakes these worms and it'll be a vexation to even hear the report thereof. They are, after all, at the head of the line.
He’s so concerned and Christ like as he describes people he thinks won’t make it to the feast. Such a loving disciple.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

creator wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:40 pm

So either he is drying up and had to steal someone else's words to save his butt, or he already hires someone with people's tithing money to write his words... fraudmato, fraudmato.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 11:47 am Look at his sneer during his talk.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... ar_during/
Attachments
da566b7e51d22432230a723775acdcf2--amazing-spiderman-creature-feature.jpg
da566b7e51d22432230a723775acdcf2--amazing-spiderman-creature-feature.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I thought it was a great talk. I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.

One other thing I like about Bednar is that he seems to be the only GA that hasn't adopted Nelson's always smiling methodology. I sat through a stake conference not too long ago where the visiting GA had a smile plastered on his face non-stop the entire 2 days. It was completely unnatural and gave me the impression of not being authentic. However, most others loved it and thought him to be the kindest man God had ever created.

So his little seemingly authentic sneers don't really bother me. I suspect he is an elitist and does have some contempt for the peasant class, but I think that true of all of our leaders. Bednar just doesn't care as much about trying to hide it, and he seems to care more about correct doctrine than the others. I also think that much of his contempt may be directed at what he sees happening in the church.

If someone were ever to stand up to what they see happening or were to actually break off the church (not that I see that happening), I think it would be Bednar. i suspect the fact that he is quite likely to be the president of the church in the not too distant future probably helps keep him in line. He may be the one to reform many of Nelson's current reforms.

Shawn Henry
captain of 1,000

Post by Shawn Henry »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:47 pm Here’s the talk go to the 7:50 mark. Both sneers happen around 8:00
7:57 and 7:59 as near as I could tell. The one at 7:59 is creepy!!! I swear I briefly saw Palpatine come out.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Not much of a sneer, really. Don’t care for the plastic face makeup job, though. Makes him look fake. Which I suppose he is.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm I thought it was a great talk. I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.

One other thing I like about Bednar is that he seems to be the only GA that hasn't adopted Nelson's always smiling methodology. I sat through a stake conference not too long ago where the visiting GA had a smile plastered on his face non-stop the entire 2 days. It was completely unnatural and gave me the impression of not being authentic. However, most others loved it and thought him to be the kindest man God had ever created.

So his little seemingly authentic sneers don't really bother me. I suspect he is an elitist and does have some contempt for the peasant class, but I think that true of all of our leaders. Bednar just doesn't care as much about trying to hide it, and he seems to care more about correct doctrine than the others. I also think that much of his contempt may be directed at what he sees happening in the church.

If someone were ever to stand up to what they see happening or were to actually break off the church (not that I see that happening), I think it would be Bednar. i suspect the fact that he is quite likely to be the president of the church in the not too distant future probably helps keep him in line. He may be the one to reform many of Nelson's current reforms.
He lost my trust in 2020 when he said religious leaders and churches can debunk misinformation and rumors and calm peoples fears of vaccinations.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:44 pm
Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 1:21 pm I thought it was a great talk. I really am unconcerned if he took some or most of the ideas from someone else's teaching. In fact, I am happy to know that he reads and studies other religious minds outside of our church. I have a feeling that of all the apostles, Bednar is having the most difficult time with where our church is headed both from a doctrinal and implementation standpoint.

He lost my trust in 2020 when he said religious leaders and churches can debunk misinformation and rumors and calm peoples fears of vaccinations.
This bothered me as well, but I think he was sincere. I think he believes that the vaccines were beneficial, and he felt that it was appropriate to use their authority to try and cut through what they thought were lies and deception.

I don't agree with what they did and I think it was sufficient evidence to me that they are not led by God in anyway that is different than anyone else. The fact that our leaders cannot see the truth even though all of the data is readily available has been one of the most dissapointing and sad things for me, as it finally dispelled any of the notions I may have this was just some very subtle and clever strategy to navigate dangerous waters. But I see no ill intent or intentional lying.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:00 pm

This bothered me as well, but I think he was sincere. I think he believes that the vaccines were beneficial, and he felt that it was appropriate to use their authority to try and cut through what they thought were lies and deception.

I don't agree with what they did and I think it was sufficient evidence to me that they are not led by God in anyway that is different than anyone else. The fact that our leaders cannot see the truth even though all of the data is readily available has been one of the most dissapointing and sad things for me, as it finally dispelled any of the notions I may have this was just some very subtle and clever strategy to navigate dangerous waters. But I see no ill intent or intentional lying.
I think he was sincere too but not in a good way. He was sincere about his elitist beliefs and sounded just like a Fauci bot.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Mamabear wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:11 pm
Serragon wrote: October 7th, 2022, 2:00 pm

I think he was sincere too but not in a good way. He was sincere about his elitist beliefs and sounded just like a Fauci bot.
Can't argue with that :)