The Sunken City of Sin

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

The Sunken City of Sin

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 6th, 2022, 12:07 am Tonight, I was reading in Hancock's book about the bimini road, located off Florida. Not only did they dive several times, they chartered a plane and could see it under the water from the air.

Since the cuban underwater ruins are not far from there, I think it is probable that the photo you shared was real.
It appears it has been happening in the Caribbean more recently with a former City of Sin, slavery and piracy.
June 7th, 1692 was going as any ordinary day in a sunny city of Port Royal, Jamaica, when a terrible disaster happened – the Earth opened up and swallowed two thirds of the town, taking 2,000 people's lives. By sunset, more then 1800 houses sank into the Caribbean sea, and whatever remained was just a 10 acres of land.
Port Royal was once called the most wicked and sinful city in the world, famous for its Kill Devil Rum, pirates and prostitutes. The city reached the peak of its fame in the 17th century, being the place where Henry Morgan, the famous pirate, planned his operations.
From Unesco site plus
https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/und ... -ruins.htm
Along with the rest of Jamaica, Port Royal was seized by the British in 1655. The settlement was a boom town, a major commerce hub loaded with privateers (who were basically government-commissioned pirates). In the year 1692, Port Royal had a population of somewhere between 6,500 and 10,000 residents — including thousands of slaves.
Disaster struck that summer. On June 7, 1692, just before noon, an earthquake rocked Port Royal. Then it was hit with a monstrous tidal wave. Around 30 acres (or 12 hectares) of buildings, streets and tombstones slid into the ocean.
Rev. Dr. Heath, rector of Port Royal recalled, "we heard the Church and Tower fall, upon which we ran to save ourselves; I...made towards Morgan's Fort, because being a wide open place I thought to be there securest from the falling houses; but as I made towards it, I saw the earth open and swallow a multitude of people; and the sea mounting in upon us over the fortification."
Of the original 51 acres, 20 sank to a depth of 10 feet and 13 slid to a depth of 35 feet. Two thousand people died immediately and a further 3000 died of injuries and disease shortly after.
With its soldiers, sailors, slaves, pirates and prostitutes, it is little wonder that Port Royal had a reputation for bawdiness and amusement. Attending church was a social diversion as much as a spiritual activity. Other forms of recreation included playing dominoes or strolling down the Palisadoes in the evenings. In town, dne could frequent any of the numerous inns and taverns. Some establishments held cock-fighting or bull and bear baiting and several had billiards rooms. The census of 1680 also mentions a brothel establishment belonging to a John Stan; containing 21 white women and two black women
Another significant aspect of Port Royal during this time is the role it played as the hub for pirates in the West Indies. This brief but dynamic era in human history resulted from illegitimate but lucrative opportunities for common seamen to attack European merchant ships and seize their valuable cargo. Piracy was sometimes given "legal" status by colonial powers, especially England and the Netherlands. Known as "privateering," contracts or letters of marque were awarded to ship captains who were then permitted to raid enemy strongholds in the name of the Crown. The term "Buccaneers" was also used to describes those privateers localized to the Caribbean who attacked the Spanish, French and Dutch ships.
Some of the famous buccaneers based at Port Royal included Henry Morgan, Edward 'Blackbeard' Teach and 'Calico Jack' Rackham.
As evidenced by the various probate inventories and material artifacts recovered from the underwater city, the citizens were consuming a large number of items for luxury and not simply necessity. Materials such as secular books, silver plate, spices, porcelain and fine cloth could all be found in Port Royal. Furthermore, the prevalence and consumption of these luxury items here was not matched by comparable groups in England or North America for another 20 to 40 years. This suggests that unique social and historical circumstances at Port Royal facilitated the early adoption of consumerist behaviour which was later transferred widely throughout the English-colonial world.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Re: The Sunken City of Sin

Post by Silver Pie »

Wow!

I had no idea that God had destroyed wicked cities so close to our time in history. It makes prophesied destruction seem more likely and more real.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 8th, 2022, 1:32 pm Wow!

I had no idea that God had destroyed wicked cities so close to our time in history. It makes prophesied destruction seem more likely and more real.
The Book of Mormon is often accused of being far fetched. Here is a city which was destroyed well within recorded history. It was undoubtedly evil, being built on theft, piracy, prostitution, gambling, slave trading and drunkenness.

I was talking recently about which other cities could go underwater in this fashion. New Orleans is an obvious candidate. Others would include Amsterdam, Miami, Tel Aviv, Wellington & Auckland (NZ), and some of the fleshpots of South East Asia especially in parts of Thailand and the Philippines.

There are a lot of cities around the Baltic which are low lying but the area isn't so seismic. Lisbon in Portugal is a prime candidate and has has trouble before.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

When I read the description of the destruction, it sounded to me very much like what the Book of Mormon describes. It made me realize it could happen again.

New Orleans is an obvious candidate. Others would include Amsterdam, Miami, Tel Aviv, Wellington & Auckland (NZ), and some of the fleshpots of South East Asia especially in parts of Thailand and the Philippines.
Yes.

I think other coastal cities like New York City could also have something like this happen.

The San Andreas fault might be something to pay attention to. There has been an informal prophecy amongst the United States citizens that California is going to drop off into the ocean if the San Andreas fault completely breaks California from the mainland. I disagree that California would fall into the ocean, but there might be some serious damage on the coast, and it could conceivably become an island, imo.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 16th, 2022, 9:33 am When I read the description of the destruction, it sounded to me very much like what the Book of Mormon describes. It made me realize it could happen again.
New Orleans is an obvious candidate. Others would include Amsterdam, Miami, Tel Aviv, Wellington & Auckland (NZ), and some of the fleshpots of South East Asia especially in parts of Thailand and the Philippines.
Yes.

I think other coastal cities like New York City could also have something like this happen.

The San Andreas fault might be something to pay attention to. There has been an informal prophecy amongst the United States citizens that California is going to drop off into the ocean if the San Andreas fault completely breaks California from the mainland. I disagree that California would fall into the ocean, but there might be some serious damage on the coast, and it could conceivably become an island, imo.
If you look at the map of North America there is a obvious gash from the Gulf of Cortes up to British Columbia and beyond. LA and SF are obvious candidates on the west coast If that "unzips" then places like Seattle and Portland could be swallowed. The lower lying areas of LA, San Diego etc could be flooded too.

There is the St. Lawrence sea way between the major cities of Canada and New England. I think a tsunami from the Canaries is more likely.

A lot of cities are coastal. But New Orleans and Miami are the most likely to go under in the USA IMHO. New Orleans is already half way there. Most of the Netherlands is low lying and includes some of the most degenerate parts of Europe like Amsterdam.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

It looks like a lot of places are in danger if the earth shifts here and there.

Just reading your posts makes the prophesied destructions more real to me.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 8:21 am It looks like a lot of places are in danger if the earth shifts here and there.

There are a lot of ancient cities under the sea, but people don't tend to think of it happening in more recent times, i.e. early modern history.

There is a bit of New Zealand I visited some years ago which is now ten foot higher up than when I was there. An entire beach of former sea floor has been lifted up next to it. Luckily no one really lives on that stretch of coast, but it is a reminder.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Look at the destruction of New Orleans with Katrina, and the most recent devastating storm in Florida. I can only imagine what special surprises lay in store for Las Vegas, Chicago, Detroit, New York, San Fran, and L.A., among others.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

The earth could shift so that India is the North Pole and Antarctica, Greenland are both on the equator. Einstein wondered why Greenland wasn’t on the equator.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Wow!
Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:51 am
Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 8:21 am It looks like a lot of places are in danger if the earth shifts here and there.

There are a lot of ancient cities under the sea, but people don't tend to think of it happening in more recent times, i.e. early modern history.

There is a bit of New Zealand I visited some years ago which is now ten foot higher up than when I was there. An entire beach of former sea floor has been lifted up next to it. Luckily no one really lives on that stretch of coast, but it is a reminder.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Katrina. That's the name. I couldn't remember it. Iirc, a levee broke during the storm.
blitzinstripes wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:49 am Look at the destruction of New Orleans with Katrina, and the most recent devastating storm in Florida. I can only imagine what special surprises lay in store for Las Vegas, Chicago, Detroit, New York, San Fran, and L.A., among others.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I honestly believe that the poles used to be on the equator in the past. I expect the earth to flip again.
Bronco73idi wrote: October 17th, 2022, 2:06 pm The earth could shift so that India is the North Pole and Antarctica, Greenland are both on the equator. Einstein wondered why Greenland wasn’t on the equator.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:00 pm Wow!
Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:51 am

2016 Kaikoura Earthquake. I wouldn't class Kaikoura as an area of sin (unless you count whale watching as such!), but it was near enough to the capital Wellington to do damage to some buildings there. Fortunately it only killed two people, because it was centred on a rural area, but there was substantial uplift in some coastal regions. I visited this region back in the late 1990s. Somewhere out there, there are pictures of me standing on a much lower shoreline around there.

Man measuring post quake uplift. The uplift is at keast double his height.

Kelp lifted above the tide line. This just looks like the tide's out but these rocks aren't going back under any time soon. On its own this picture wouldn't look very significant but taken with the picture above you get a different perspective.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Kaik ... earthquake
Uplift along the coast at Kaikōura (up to 6 metres) exposed the intertidal zone, which resulted in a large-scale die off of many organisms including Durvillaea bull kelp
Six metres is nearly twenty feet. (19.685 ft)

There is evidence in New Zealand of much worse earthquakes and volcanic activity.

That was uplift. Imagine the opposite. And bigger.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

WOW!

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:03 pm I honestly believe that the poles used to be on the equator in the past. I expect the earth to flip again.
Bronco73idi wrote: October 17th, 2022, 2:06 pm The earth could shift so that India is the North Pole and Antarctica, Greenland are both on the equator. Einstein wondered why Greenland wasn’t on the equator.
My suspicion is that the North Pole wasn't up beyond Greenland in the Arctic Ocean like it is now. I think it was nearer Baffin Island and Hudson Bay.

I base this partly on geographical features. You can see that from round about where the main Great Lakes are, that there is a series of major lakes in a line extending to the north west to the boundary of Alaska. Note the way these are practically in a line.

The polar shift would explain how much of Europe ceased to be glaciated, and how there was sudden freezing in parts of Alaska (catching some mammoths by surprise seemingly.)

The likes of the Mississippi, St Lawrence Seaway and Grand Canyon could have been severely altered by this, as well as the shrinking of Lake Bonneville.

Note how Siberia (which is similar to the far north of North America) has lakes but not a large nunber directly in line with each other. It tends to have rivers instead.
Attachments
siberia-map.jpg
siberia-map.jpg (149.94 KiB) Viewed 762 times
North-America-Physical.jpg
North-America-Physical.jpg (859.22 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Last edited by Niemand on October 17th, 2022, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I never noticed that lake pattern before. Quite interesting!
Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm
Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:03 pm I honestly believe that the poles used to be on the equator in the past. I expect the earth to flip again.
My suspicion is that the North Pole wasn't up beyond Greenland in the Arctic Ocean like it is now. I think it was nearer Baffin Island and Hudson Bay.

I base this partly on geographical features. You can see that from round about where the main Great Lakes are, that there is a series of major lakes in a line extending to the north west to the boundary of Alaska. Note the way these are practically in a line.

The polar shift would explain how much of Europe ceased to be glaciated, and how there was sudden freezing in parts of Alaska (catching some mammoths by surprise seemingly.)

The likes of the Mississippi, St Lawrence Seaway and Grand Canyon could have been severely altered by this, as well as the shrinking of Lake Bonneville.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:54 pm I never noticed that lake pattern before. Quite interesting!
It's jumped out at me a few times. No one talks about it. Part of it, but not all of it, lines up with the Rockies.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:56 pm Part of it, but not all of it, lines up with the Rockies.
🤔 Interesting. I wonder if there's a correlation between the formation of the lakes and the formation of the Rockies. In other words, did the same force that created one, also create the other?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Silver Pie wrote: October 18th, 2022, 11:50 am
Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:56 pm Part of it, but not all of it, lines up with the Rockies.
🤔 Interesting. I wonder if there's a correlation between the formation of the lakes and the formation of the Rockies. In other words, did the same force that created one, also create the other?
I think the lakes come after the Rockies. Probably glaciers pouring off the mountains and creating meltwater lakes when there was a shift in the pole.

The mountain chain itself is huge. It nearly stretches from pole to pole - from Alaska down to Tierra Del Fuego after a break it becomes the Antarctic Peninsula. (It's mirrored by the mid Atlantic Ridge to the east)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: October 18th, 2022, 1:58 pm I think the lakes come after the Rockies. Probably glaciers pouring off the mountains and creating meltwater lakes when there was a shift in the pole.
That makes sense.

The mountain chain itself is huge. It nearly stretches from pole to pole - from Alaska down to Tierra Del Fuego after a break it becomes the Antarctic Peninsula. (It's mirrored by the mid Atlantic Ridge to the east)
That's interesting. I didn't realize it was that long.

So if it is somehow bunched up, I wonder if it will flatten out when mountains are made low and valleys are raised up, and what the land will look like then. For example, would it just even out the land where it is, or would/could coasts somehow be affected? (I rather think the effects would be more localized.)

But if it's mirrored by the midAtlantic ridge, and that flattens, too, what a frightening mess this planet will be while that happens!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Now I have an image in my head of the earth stretching and yawning, and all the wrinkles (mountain ranges) smoothing out as it inflates a little with the inhaled breath. :D

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

I appreciate not everyone here holds to the Mesoamerican hypothesis, but sunken cities have been found in central America. For those who hold to the Heartland theory and other notions, there are supposedly sunken cities elsewhere, either washed away by the Mississippi, under the Great Lakes or washed away by the Atlantic.

https://knowhy.bookofmormoncentral.org/ ... nt-america

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Niemand wrote: November 9th, 2022, 5:31 pm I appreciate not everyone here holds to the Mesoamerican hypothesis, but sunken cities have been found in central America. For those who hold to the Heartland theory and other notions, there are supposedly sunken cities elsewhere, either washed away by the Mississippi, under the Great Lakes or washed away by the Atlantic.

The Hopi (in a book that I think is called "The Book of the Hopi") have a tradition that when they came to this land via water, the Gods/gods told them to travel as far north as they could, as far south as they could, and to the east sea and the west sea, then to return to a certain spot to permanently settle. They traveled north until they came to an ice sheet. They traveled far south and some decided to stay there because it was warm. They traveled to the east ocean and to the west ocean, then returned to where the Hopi now live.

It took them years, even generations, to do this. In the settlements, they would grow plants and often leave them for the next group (they were divided into groups. Some started to go north first, some east, etc.).

If they were descended from or related to Lehi, it would make sense that the indigenous peoples all throughout the Americas could be remnant Lehites - or at least have some of that blood in them.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Silver Pie wrote: November 9th, 2022, 5:51 pm
Niemand wrote: November 9th, 2022, 5:31 pm I appreciate not everyone here holds to the Mesoamerican hypothesis, but sunken cities have been found in central America. For those who hold to the Heartland theory and other notions, there are supposedly sunken cities elsewhere, either washed away by the Mississippi, under the Great Lakes or washed away by the Atlantic.

The Hopi (in a book that I think is called "The Book of the Hopi") have a tradition that when they came to this land via water, the Gods/gods told them to travel as far north as they could, as far south as they could, and to the east sea and the west sea, then to return to a certain spot to permanently settle. They traveled north until they came to an ice sheet. They traveled far south and some decided to stay there because it was warm. They traveled to the east ocean and to the west ocean, then returned to where the Hopi now live.

It took them years, even generations, to do this. In the settlements, they would grow plants and often leave them for the next group (they were divided into groups. Some started to go north first, some east, etc.).

If they were descended from or related to Lehi, it would make sense that the indigenous peoples all throughout the Americas could be remnant Lehites - or at least have some of that blood in them.
I saw a Native American today at Harbor Freight with really long legs.

Reminded me of the boy that walked to China courtesy of my 1st grade teacher. She had cardboard character with folding legs that would get super long. Anyone familiar?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Niemand wrote: October 17th, 2022, 5:50 pm

Note how Siberia (which is similar to the far north of North America) has lakes but not a large nunber directly in line with each other. It tends to have rivers instead.
I like how this map shows waterways that make natural borders. 8-)