Coffee use - loosing a calling?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AliciaB
captain of 10

Coffee use - loosing a calling?

Post by AliciaB »

Second coffee use question. If my Bishop finds out I'm on coffee, would I lose my calling? I really love my calling and I think it would emotionally damage me if I lose it. But I don't think I can get off coffee anytime soon. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Rubicon
captain of 1,000

Re: Coffee use - loosing a calling?

Post by Rubicon »

It depends on your bishop. Based on your interactions with him, how do you think he would respond? (You might be surprised).

I've been a bishop twice,and in my opinion, this is one of those things that you don't need to run in and confess. Confession is for serious things,usually things that involve other people. You are working on this and striving and repenting on your own.

Generally, I would say that you don't need his help to repent of this. You can repent on your own. :).

Don't lie on your temple recommend interview, though. When is your expiration month and year for that? If you don't have this kicked by then, then counsel with him and let him know how long you've been working on this,and how it's going. Hopefully,good progress to report!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Why would losing your calling be emotionally damaging? I asked to be released and have had some very profound experiences afterward due to following God and not man.
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on October 5th, 2022, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I think it would depend on your bishop (commonly known as leadership roulette) and whether or not he thinks your calling should never be done by someone drinking coffee.

If your calling is that important to you, I'd recommend working into drinking decaf, then try a coffee substitute. Iherb.com and vitacost.com have some coffee substitutes.

AliciaB wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:48 pm Second coffee use question. If my Bishop finds out I'm on coffee, would I lose my calling? I really love my calling and I think it would emotionally damage me if I lose it. But I don't think I can get off coffee anytime soon. Thanks everyone for your advice.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Rubicon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:57 pm It depends on your bishop. Based on your interactions with him, how do you think he would respond? (You might be surprised).

I've been a bishop twice,and in my opinion, this is one of those things that you don't need to run in and confess. Confession is for serious things,usually things that involve other people. You are working on this and striving and repenting on your own.

Generally, I would say that you don't need his help to repent of this. You can repent on your own. :).

Don't lie on your temple recommend interview, though. When is your expiration month and year for that? If you don't have this kicked by then, then counsel with him and let him know how long you've been working on this,and how it's going. Hopefully,good progress to report!
When asked, Hyrum answered Coffee and Tea as what was meant by “Hot Drinks”. Yesterday we bought coffee in Canada and Idaho that was super hot and indeed the FDA has published warnings about drinking beverages hotter than 145 degrees Fahrenheit.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

AliciaB wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:48 pm Second coffee use question. If my Bishop finds out I'm on coffee, would I lose my calling? I really love my calling and I think it would emotionally damage me if I lose it. But I don't think I can get off coffee anytime soon. Thanks everyone for your advice.
100% depends on the bishop and how offended he is by coffee.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Yes you probably would. But I would get yourself off coffee. I did and I feel much better for it. The smell of coffee is good but there is not much else to recommend it.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Someone said on the other thread that the word of wisdom was not a commandment nor was it required to go to the temple until much later. Neither was tithing. It’s mind boggling.
Anyway, the reason I say this is because it’s very easy to get caught up in guilt cycles with things that really are not sin according to the words of Jesus Christ.
I think it’s important to ask yourself what you want to do and internally reflect…. If you want to give it up, go for it. If you don’t, don’t. And ask yourself how you feel when you drink it. Indifferent? Ok? Does it inhibit you from being spiritual? It might be a good place to start. Best to you. 🙂

mtmom
captain of 100

Post by mtmom »

Silver Pie wrote: October 5th, 2022, 9:16 pm I think it would depend on your bishop (commonly known as leadership roulette) and whether or not he thinks your calling should never be done by someone drinking coffee.

If your calling is that important to you, I'd recommend working into drinking decaf, then try a coffee substitute. Iherb.com and vitacost.com have some coffee substitutes.

I like Pero. I like it with a little cream and a few drops of liquid stevia. In fact, I crave it. I might be needing the barley in it, which is very nutritious. It also has chicory and rye. But do not drink it if you are gluten intolerant.

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

Check the on-line Church Handbook... does it say anything about drinking coffee and holding a calling?

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

BroJones wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:50 am Check the on-line Church Handbook... does it say anything about drinking coffee and holding a calling?
It depends on the calling.

Hope this isn't some edgy person winding us up. 😄

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Rubicon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:57 pm Generally, I would say that you don't need his help to repent of this. You can repent on your own. :).
Well, when I read the WoW, I don't see anything in there that indicates the Lord would be offended if I had a cup of joe.

Too much straining at gnats. A bigger problem we need to address is our unbelief. Our unbelief presents a far bigger hurdle for the Spirit to overcome than a coffee habit.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

gruden2.0 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Rubicon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:57 pm Generally, I would say that you don't need his help to repent of this. You can repent on your own. :).
Well, when I read the WoW, I don't see anything in there that indicates the Lord would be offended if I had a cup of joe.

Too much straining at gnats. A bigger problem we need to address is our unbelief. Our unbelief presents a far bigger hurdle for the Spirit to overcome than a coffee habit.
Kind of ironic that the First Presidency condemn this but encourage us to jack up poisons that may damage us permanently.

bjornagain
captain of 100

Post by bjornagain »

You're making too much of this. Keep in mind that the church promotes violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom all the time, in promoting the big pharma and vaccines.

Of all the things you should not be consuming out there, coffee is near the bottom of the list. If you really feel bad about it, then work on quitting on your own. There is no need to go confess such a minimal sin. Frankly your bishop has more important things to worry about.

Great8
captain of 100

Post by Great8 »

If the church is loosening up on gender pronouns et al, why wouldn't they loosen up a little on the WoW? sin a little - lie a little....

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

You can be a man and dress up as a woman and come to relief society but don’t drink a cup of Joe. It’s bad for you.
🤡 🌎

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

Mamabear wrote: October 6th, 2022, 3:56 pm You can be a man and dress up as a woman and come to relief society but don’t drink a cup of Joe. It’s bad for you.
🤡 🌎
When the Cup of Joe transitions, they become Cup of Jo. 😀

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

I think it depends on the calling. Certain callings they want those who hold them to have and be worthy to hold a temple recommend. If you are in a leadership position then yes, I think if you're unwilling to quit, you will be released.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

gruden2.0 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:17 pm
A bigger problem we need to address is our unbelief. Our unbelief presents a far bigger hurdle for the Spirit to overcome than a coffee habit.
Isn't that the truth! It really sincerely is. I couldn't see this AT ALL until about 3-4 years ago. And none will be able to see it, unless God has given them that 'A-HA!' moment. Your whole perception and paradigm changes. You start to see things as they really are, and what a BLESSING that is. The Lord in His mercy woke me up in my 40th year, made me think of the Israelites wandering for 40 years in wilderness. I wandered far too long in Babylon. How appropriate He called to me in my 40th year! The joy and peace it brought me! He changed my whole perception of this mortal probation.

solonan
captain of 100

Post by solonan »

BeNotDeceived wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:01 am
Rubicon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:57 pm It depends on your bishop. Based on your interactions with him, how do you think he would respond? (You might be surprised).

When asked, Hyrum answered Coffee and Tea as what was meant by “Hot Drinks”. Yesterday we bought coffee in Canada and Idaho that was super hot and indeed the FDA has published warnings about drinking beverages hotter than 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
Oh my gosh that's hot! I don't even like my supper to be hot, just don't do hot in any form let alone drink it!

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

I think you have your priorities kinda backwards.
If my Bishop finds out
lol.
I think you should be asking - - if God finds out.
Do you care more about what your bishop thinks - than what God would think !

I think the more important question - you should be asking yourself - is
if your church would actually remove you from your calling - just for drinking coffee,
then is it even worth it to be a member of said church;
which - to me - would be a much more important question that you should be asking yourself.