Let Food Be Your Medicine

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Re: Let Food Be Your Medicine

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Momma J wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:33 am Thank you for this thread. I personally am identifying various trees, plants-weeds on my country land. I am then reading all I can find on each plant. It is surprising to see all of the health benefits that are around me. Sap, seeds, leaves, bark, roots... It is all valuable. Now I just need to learn what they are best used for and how to extract/use each.

I am buying up books and downloading all the info that I can get my hands on. Obviously pharmaceutical companies copied many of the medicinal properties in plants and put them in pill form. Much easier than harvesting your own, but I prefer natural remedies as they are often less stressful on your system.

Big pharma pushes campaigns to tell us NOT TO USE plants for medicinal purposes because it is dangerous. (It could be if used incorrectly) But, mainly they do not want people to find easy solutions and not be in need of their products.
Its good to know what is on your property that is good and bad.

I know quite a few plants so when I saw a plant with purple flowers and a yellow stamen pop up in my yard I was worried. I have seen deadly nightshade before by water and it has the purple and yellow together. I didn't over worry because it wasn't near water. It produced some red berries, so I decided it was time to look it up and it was in fact bittersweet nightshade. Still can be deadly. We pulled out right then to keep the kids and animals safe.

Some of my favorites that are easy to find in Utah/Idaho: Mullen: respiratory, Yarrow: plague, Gum weed: topical pain relief, Mallow: vegetable rennet, Burdock: itch relief.
Last edited by JuneBug12000 on October 20th, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Jonesy wrote: October 12th, 2022, 5:13 am As I’m getting more into this I’m seeing some problems. Maybe it’s just my perspective, but the whole world is all jacked up. We’ve become ever dependent on Babylon for too long.

To cut out all simple carbs, I was going to use as a staple a brown rice and lentils mix for dinner (breakfast and lunch is easy to work with). Then I realized that brown rice is about as bad a food there is for arsenic (seems to check out everywhere I look)—which sucks because brown rice is so darn cheap, tasty, and good for you. Now I’m looking into quinoa, but that’s like 5 times more expensive and not as “local” of a staple as I was hoping. I think it’s fairly affordable in the long run, but kind of a bummer. The more I look into good, whole foods the more I see Babylon ruining everything in every effort made to compensate. And I’m having to go this alone since I can’t get my family on board yet—so trying to do this as simply and time efficiently so as not to take away from the regular family meal.

I’m going to look into farmers markets as well. I move so often that small-scale gardening is all I can really do. I think buying local and in season is the WoW-ey thing to do.

I did come across this go-to resource for specific food info and fasting tips reference. He puts out just a ton of content that you can just search his channel and find a lot of answers.

The good news is that I’m not missing the processed foods. I’ve done this before, but I want this to be a permanent move. I swear I was tasting more and more chemicals than ever recently in any processed foods. Screw that. No more sauces or anything either—just simple spices. I’m okay with good ol’ salt and pepper.

All I’m trying to do is find a short-term fix so I can move into the next thing to overcome. Getting there…
I recommend a milk cow and her baby, free ranged with chickens and a garden as big or small as you want.

The raw milk is enough to thrive. The meat is nice and nutritious and can be stored dried or frozen. The eggs as consistently fresh and healthy. Add home grown veggies and fruit for variety and even better health.

More than enough calories and nutrition just with the milk even for a larger family. The rest is icing on the cake.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

TwochurchesOnly wrote: October 20th, 2022, 4:30 pm Lovely color and design - the sliced section
We decided to pick a few more and juice them over the weekend. The color is so strong it stains your fingers.

I found the largest carrot we had and it weighed in at 2 lb. 6.9 oz. The little carrots in the group photo would be considered medium to large carrots in the grocery store. We do "purple shots" with the kids for dinner each evening.
Attachments
purple-carrots.jpg
purple-carrots.jpg (238.05 KiB) Viewed 732 times

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 20th, 2022, 5:18 pm
TwochurchesOnly wrote: October 20th, 2022, 4:30 pm Lovely color and design - the sliced section
We decided to pick a few more and juice them over the weekend. The color is so strong it stains your fingers.

I found the largest carrot we had and it weighed in at 2 lb. 6.9 oz. The little carrots in the group photo would be considered medium to large carrots in the grocery store. We do "purple shots" with the kids for dinner each evening.
At this pace these carrots are gonna be giving the Idaho spud a race for it's money!
They are great looking... and they just look rich with minerals and vitamins. 👍👍

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Jonesy wrote: October 5th, 2022, 8:25 am It’s good to see this. As I’ve been having more success in repenting lately, I’m moving towards removing all of my idols. Apparently food is one of them (I really didn’t think I was that bad). No more simple carbs for me. Talk about straight and narrow path, whew. Maybe I’ll have more to contribute as I move forward lol.
Just an update because I think it’s worth noting.

Since the time I have stopped eating simple carbs (no processed food, sugar—whole grains carbs ok) I’ve noticed several benefits. I injured my lower back years ago around my sciatic nerves and have lingering pain once in a while—that is now almost entirely gone; no inflammation or flair ups. I don’t have terrible skin, but my skin is so much more clear. Also, my mood is much better. All things you’d expect, and very nice to enjoy.

I also started eating quinoa. Fancy people will say it tastes earthy which means it tastes like dirt. I eat lentils, too, but even that’s tastier. May have to learn creative ways to implement in my diet or just mix it up more.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Full article here - https://greenmedinfo.com/blog/open-sesa ... per-seed-1

Open Sesame! 10 Amazing Health Benefits of This Super-Seed

Wednesday, October 5th 2022
Written By: Sayer Ji, Founder

Given the growing body of scientific support on its health benefits, sesame would be just as at home in a medicine cabinet as it would be a kitchen cupboard

Sesame (Sesamum indicum) is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world, prized as an oilseed for at least 5,000 years. While it is beginning to regain favor due to its exceptionally high calcium and magnesium content, few realize it is also one of the most potent medicinal foods still commonly consumed today.

In fact, its history as a medicine goes back 3600 years to Egyptian times where it was listed in the scrolls of the Ebers as a favored medicine. Also, women in ancient Babylon were believed to use a mixture of honey and sesame seeds (havla) to prolong youth and beauty, and Roman soldiers ate the mixture for strength and energy.

In the past twenty years, a glut of scientific information has poured in demonstrating that sesame seed, and its components, have over one hundred potential therapeutic applications which you can view at on the GreenMedInfo sesame research page. Given these new revelations, it would seem that sesame would be just as at home in a medicine cabinet as it would be a kitchen cupboard.

Here are just 10 evidence-based medicinal properties of this food-medicine:

Diabetes: A study published in 2011 in the Clinical Journal of Nutrition showed that sesame oil improved the effectiveness of the oral antidiabetic drug glibenclamide in type 2 diabetic patients. [1] Another study published in 2006 in the Journal of Medicinal Foods showed that the substitution of sesame seed oil as the sole edible oil lowers blood pressure and glucose in hypertensive diabetics. [2]

High Blood Pressure: A study published in 2006 in the Yale Journal of Biological Medicine showed that sesame seed oil has a beneficial effect in hypertensive patients on either diuretics or beta-blockers. Substitution of all dietary oils with sesame oil brought down systolic and dystolic blood pressure to normal, in addition to decreasing lipid peroxidation (bodily rancidity) and antioxidant status. [3] One of the compounds identified behind sesame seed's antihypertensive effects are peptides that act as angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitors.[4]

Gingivitis/Dental Plaque: Sesame seed oil has been used for oral health for thousands of years in the traditional Indian medical tradition known as Ayurveda in a process known as "oil pulling." It involves swishing sesame seed oil in the mouth for prolonged durations and has been said to prevent teeth decay, halitosis, bleeding gums, dry throat, and for strengthening the teeth, gums and jaw. Clinical research now confirms that it compares favorably to chemical mouthwash (chlorhexidine) in improving plaque-induced gingivitis,[5] and that it is capable of reducing Streptococcus mutans growth associated with oral plaque formation. [6]

Infant Health/Massage Oil: A study published in the Indian Journal of Medical Research in 2000 showed that massaging infants with sesame oil improved both their growth and post-massage sleep, in comparison to control oils such as mineral oil.[7]

Multiple Sclerosis (MS): In the animal model of MS, also known as experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis, sesame seed oil protects mice from developing the disease by reducing IFN-gamma secretion, a key factor in initiating autoimmune inflammation and injury in the nervous system.[8] It has also been research for its potential beneficial role in another neurodegenerative condition, Huntington's disease. [9]

Antibiotic-Induced Kidney Damage: Sesame seed oil protects against gentamicin-induced kidney damage in rats by reducing oxidative damage caused by the antibiotic.[10]

Atherosclerosis: Sesame seed oil prevents the formation of atherosclerotic lesions in mice fed an atherogenic diet.[11] The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory lignan found within sesame seeds known as sesamol has been identified to be partially responsible for its anti-atherogenic properties. In fact, sesamol has been shown to possess over two dozen beneficial pharmacologically active properties, many of which may contribute to improving cardiovascular health.

Depression: The sesame lignin sesamol was shown to exert an antidepressant-like effect in behavioral despair in chronically stressed mice, specifically by modulating oxidative-nitrosative stress and inflammation.[12]

Radiation-Induced DNA Damage: Sesamol has been shown to protect against gamma radiation-induced DNA damage, likely through its antioxidant properties. [13] It is capable of reducing mortality in radiation treated mice, in part through preventing intestinal and spleen damage.[14] When compared to another powerful antioxidant, melatonin, it was found 20 times more effective as a free radical scavenger.[15]

Cancer: Sesame contains a fat-soluble lignin with phytoestrogenic properties known as sesamin, and which has been studied for inhibiting the proliferation of a wide range of cancer cells, including:
Leukemia
Multiple Myleoma
Colon Cancer
Prostate Cancer
Breast Cancer
Lung Cancer
Pancreatic Cancer
Lung Cancer

Sesamin's anticancer effects have been linked to the NF-kappaB signaling.[16] Sesame's lignan content my actually be superior to flaxseed -- a fact first reported via the GreenMedInfo newsletter.

Sesame deserves to be recognized, along with garlic, honey, turmeric and a select few other substances, as an easily accessible and affordable food-medicine that, if consumed regularly, could quite possibly save lives.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

We learned something about our garden this Winter. We won’t be storing carrots in the ground next year. We have a raised bed that’s about 26 feet long full of carrots. Prior to the snow falling we made a hoop house out of plastic to keep the dirt warm. A few things we learned:

1. The ground freezes pretty solid even with a hoop house in a raised bed. That means your carrots also freeze and go soft or become rotten.

2. Mice love the little utopia we’ve created for them. Nice and warm during the day in their little mini greenhouse, and as much food storage as they can fit in their little bellies day and night. They’ve eaten so many carrots.

This year we’ll pull all the carrots right before the snow falls and store them in straw/sand mix buckets and boxes, either in the cold garage or the cold storage room.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Here is a quick explanation of what sulforaphane in cruciferous vegetables can do for you. This includes broccoli, cabbage, kale etc.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications ... 93780.html

We started growing microgreens to give us fresh produce through the winter. We sell them at the farmers market in the summer which helps us financially as well. We grow broccoli, sunflower, pea shoots, radish, cabbage, and a spicy salad mix. We eat them plain as a snack and with fresh backyard eggs, baked potatoes, burgers or anything else we cook. All of my kids will eat them. I also had up to 70 lettuce plants in my basement last year. I would cut half of the plants down weekly and did so for 4-5 cuttings. Not head lettuce of course but it was nice to have more selection than what you find in the store and it's perfect and fresh in January. We eat a normal amount of good meats as well but we don't have room to produce that.

I would encourage everyone to grow microgreens for health. If anyone needs help getting started I'm happy to help.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 11th, 2022, 11:33 am We decided to grow a few purple carrots this year. I picked one early on and the taste wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I tried again this week and found that these puppies get BIG. The taste really hasn't improved yet, but maybe the sugars will set with a few light touches of frost.

Why purple carrots? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pu ... -nutrition

"What makes purple carrots nutritionally unique is their content of the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anthocyanins belong to the polyphenol family of antioxidants and are found in purple fruits and vegetables like blackberries, grapes, purple potatoes, purple cabbage, and purple carrots.

Antioxidants like anthocyanins help protect your body from oxidative stress, which refers to an imbalance between reactive molecules called free radicals and antioxidants in your body.

Oxidative stress has been linked to health conditions such as cancer, mental decline, heart disease, and aging."

Since I don't own a juicer yet, (we have one coming in the mail) I chopped this guy up and liquified it in my blender with a little water and ice. The taste wasn't so bad. I poured it into a strainer and then compressed it with another strainer on top.
Now THAT'S a carrot!
We tried some black carrots last year and I wasn't a fan but mine weren't nearly this big. Not a lot of sweetness. About how long was that in the ground?

https://www.rareseeds.com/carrot-pusa-asita-black

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Seed Starter wrote: February 12th, 2023, 11:23 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 11th, 2022, 11:33 am We decided to grow a few purple carrots this year. I picked one early on and the taste wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I tried again this week and found that these puppies get BIG. The taste really hasn't improved yet, but maybe the sugars will set with a few light touches of frost.

"What makes purple carrots nutritionally unique is their content of the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anthocyanins belong to the polyphenol family of antioxidants and are found in purple fruits and vegetables like blackberries, grapes, purple potatoes, purple cabbage, and purple carrots.

Antioxidants like anthocyanins help protect your body from oxidative stress, which refers to an imbalance between reactive molecules called free radicals and antioxidants in your body.

Oxidative stress has been linked to health conditions such as cancer, mental decline, heart disease, and aging."

Since I don't own a juicer yet, (we have one coming in the mail) I chopped this guy up and liquified it in my blender with a little water and ice. The taste wasn't so bad. I poured it into a strainer and then compressed it with another strainer on top.
Now THAT'S a carrot!
We tried some black carrots last year and I wasn't a fan but mine weren't nearly this big. Not a lot of sweetness. About how long was that in the ground?

The black carrots weren’t our favorite either, but the antioxidant levels are really good, so juicing them is what we’ll do this year. We ended up purchasing six varieties this year and we’ll test out which one we like best.

The carrot in the photo broke off, but I’d imagine if we pulled the entire carrot it would have been over 24 inches long or more, the tap roots can get really long.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 13th, 2023, 5:27 am
Seed Starter wrote: February 12th, 2023, 11:23 pm

Now THAT'S a carrot!

The black carrots weren’t our favorite either, but the antioxidant levels are really good, so juicing them is what we’ll do this year. We ended up purchasing six varieties this year and we’ll test out which one we like best.

The carrot in the photo broke off, but I’d imagine if we pulled the entire carrot it would have been over 24 inches long or more, the tap roots can get really long.
You must have good/deep soil :)

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Seed Starter wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:39 am You must have good/deep soil :)
Raised beds with custom soil mixture of sawdust and sand. We'll be doing more composting and organic soil going forward.

Seed Starter
captain of 1,000

Post by Seed Starter »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:43 am
Seed Starter wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:39 am You must have good/deep soil :)
Raised beds with custom soil mixture of sawdust and sand. We'll be doing more composting and organic soil going forward.
When you started using that mix did you notice the sawdust decomposition robbing nitrogen in any of your beds? Last year was the first year I was able to produce enough compost to top of off my beds. It is a challenge in a regular backyard.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Seed Starter wrote: February 13th, 2023, 12:00 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: February 13th, 2023, 11:43 am
When you started using that mix did you notice the sawdust decomposition robbing nitrogen in any of your beds? Last year was the first year I was able to produce enough compost to top of off my beds. It is a challenge in a regular backyard.
We were following the Mitleider method, and it didn't work well. Some plants did ok, but others got burned. We want to move to a more sustainable way of gardening, and we'll use some principles from the Mitleider method, but not their fertilization as much.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I recently added a new plant to my garden. A few over-wintered in my greenhouse and I wanted to do a quick overview of it.

The plant is called: CHIJIMISAI

You can purchase it from Baker Creek Seeds: https://www.rareseeds.com/chijimisai

Brief Overview:

"Average 55 days to maturity. A runaway winner of the Baker Creek tasting and growing trials, this stunning new super-food contains a high amount of vitamin A! It is also a great source of minerals and protein. A cross between two of the most delicious and hardy greens -- tatsoi and komatsuna -- the lightly savoyed leaves of Chijimisai have a velvety texture and lightly umami flavor that make it a remarkable spinach substitute. This innovative “new” heirloom Asian green is both heat and cold tolerant, making it suitable to grow year-round in most growing zones, save for the extreme seasons of some climates. This quick and easy-to-grow green is phenomenally tasty and more versatile than other greens. It is equally happy in stir fries and soups as it is in salads, lasagna, or atop pizzas. Sure to be the next culinary craze and must-have market gardeners’ green. No patch of greens should be without Chijimisai!

4-6 hours of Sun
Sprouts in 10-14 Days
Ideal Temperature: 60-80 Degrees F
Seed Depth: 1/4"
Plant Spacing: 12"
Frost Hardy: No

Now, here's the interesting part. This plant is SUPER easy to harvest seeds from. The attached photo is the plant I am currently maturing to seed. There are an average of 25 seeding limbs to this plant, and would have had way more, but I snipped off the additional shoots.

So here's a little math:

25 vertical shoots w/ approx. 25 seed pods per shoot, and an estimated 20 seeds per pod = 12,500 seeds for ONE plant.
Attachments
Chijimisai-1200px.jpg
Chijimisai-1200px.jpg (728.7 KiB) Viewed 309 times

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Oh, and we planted four varieties of peas and seven varieties of carrots today. I'm excited for the next few months.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I also enjoyed this video that breaks out foods you can grow by caloric value. Very helpful when planning which foods can pack the most calories:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Has anybody had success in growing Stevia? I’m looking to buy seeds and the reviews on many of the stevia seed products aren’t positive.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 7th, 2023, 1:54 pm Has anybody had success in growing Stevia? I’m looking to buy seeds and the reviews on many of the stevia seed products aren’t positive.
Mine died. Inside and outside.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

I just buy the monk fruit packs with stevia. Maybe monkfruit is easier to grow.

If it is not climate or soil, then it is likely some kind of mineral it needs to make that sweet chemical compound. A trace mineral

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

JuneBug12000 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:19 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 7th, 2023, 1:54 pm Has anybody had success in growing Stevia? I’m looking to buy seeds and the reviews on many of the stevia seed products aren’t positive.
I’d really like a sustainable/growable source for a sweetener. I bought a few seed packets from Bakers Creek. I’ll post an update if they grow.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: May 7th, 2023, 7:48 pm
JuneBug12000 wrote: May 7th, 2023, 3:19 pm
I’d really like a sustainable/growable source for a sweetener. I bought a few seed packets from Bakers Creek. I’ll post an update if they grow.
I would love to hear if you are successful and what you do. I hope it works. It was nice to have an alternative sweetener. I just couldn't keep it alive

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

I saw a video recently that featured Dr. Joan Ifland. She wrote a book called Processed Food Addiction. She spoke about the fact that the when the tobacco industry was being restrained by gov regulations they turned their attention to food and applied the same techniques they used with tobacco to food, but without the government pushback.

That is the simple summary, it the details are fascinating and alarming.

She has been interviewed a number of time son YouTube so I would recommend those who are interested just do a search and watch a few videos.

Very motivating to improve health.

Ymarsakar
captain of 1,000

Post by Ymarsakar »

Well yes they messed with food. Back in the day they used alcohol.

Demoncracy creates a lot of conflict and addictions because it allows more feeding.

Many mental illnesses and bulemia etc are all demonic possessions.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

I have posted this before, but here it is again. I read his journal way back when I was in my early teens, and a few times since. He swears by Cayenne Pepper and Lobelia. Healed many people through faith, herbs and prayer. I've had his journal in a paper back copy for over 50 years. I did a little research online and found a few other versions of his journal that have a few more stories of his experiences with healing with herbs that are not in the version I have.
Anyways, because of his and others of like experience with "natural herbal medicine" we have leaned much more into using them ourselves and try to avoid "Dr Drug" at all cost. But of course, when it comes down to what we feel is "life threatening" than I would say most run to the DR. But the facts are, when It comes to sewing up wounds, setting bones, etc, the DR's are good for that, but when it comes to diseases they are no good, period, why? Because they completely have thrown out natural herbal medical because they cannot Patent it, so no profit to be made. And in the good ol "land of the free and home of the brave" they will destroy you if you try and help others with herbal medicine as a business.
Our bodies have a God givin natural ability to heal itself, but we always want an instant fix by taking a pill, so off we run to throw ourselves into the "hands of the enemy". Then we also eat mostly garbage food that in the long run (and also the short run) brings about many diseases and sickness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.issuu. ... 42/s/68430