Let Food Be Your Medicine

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Let Food Be Your Medicine

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I'm venturing into the medicinal food space and wanted to start a thread on it. I've learned a few things over the years about certain plants, but I feel like I need to know more. Please share any resources or personal experiences that you have about medicine foods.

Here's one reference from LDS Prepper's wife: https://ldsprepperstore.com/collections/herbs
Last edited by Reluctant Watchman on October 4th, 2022, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Food as medicine

I like these people. Garlic and Honey for this upcoming winter season. Start your elixir now.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Both of these ^^ have been in my 'go-to' sites for information for awhile now. A wealth of knowledge and experience!

My husband had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. He was in the hospital for four days, and had one stent put in. His mother had much worse happening with her heart before she was the age my husband is now. His cardiologist said heart issues are largely hereditary, but of course, diet and exercise are factors, as well. This episode scared our family dramatically. I shed a great many tears at the thought of losing my best friend and husband of 33 years - so we are learning everything we can about ways to mitigate his bad genes and keep him around for as long as possible. And proper food - food as medicine - is a key to that, we believe. The Word of Wisdom is a wonderful thing - full of, well, wisdom (despite much of it being interpreted wrongly since Joseph died, IMO) - and we are striving to follow the Lord's law of health as much as we are able in this fallen world.

Also, trying to learn more about herbs, and growing and making our own herbal medicine - which I started to do in earnest last spring, not knowing what would befall us this fall. The Lord is merciful.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

EmmaLee wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:01 am Both of these ^^ have been in my 'go-to' sites for information for awhile now. A wealth of knowledge and experience!

My husband had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. He was in the hospital for four days, and had one stent put in. His mother had much worse happening with her heart before she was the age my husband is now. His cardiologist said heart issues are largely hereditary, but of course, diet and exercise are factors, as well. This episode scared our family dramatically. I shed a great many tears at the thought of losing my best friend and husband of 33 years - so we are learning everything we can about ways to mitigate his bad genes and keep him around for as long as possible. And proper food - food as medicine - is a key to that, we believe. The Word of Wisdom is a wonderful thing - full of, well, wisdom (despite much of it being interpreted wrongly since Joseph died, IMO) - and we are striving to follow the Lord's law of health as much as we are able in this fallen world.

Also, trying to learn more about herbs, and growing and making our own herbal medicine - which I started to do in earnest last spring, not knowing what would befall us this fall. The Lord is merciful.
I pray for your husband to get well. A friend of ours had a heart attack a few months ago, really shook her up.

I've been eating out of my garden the past few months and have noticed a significant improvement in how I feel vs when I just eat processed foods.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:18 am I pray for your husband to get well. A friend of ours had a heart attack a few months ago, really shook her up.

I've been eating out of my garden the past few months and have noticed a significant improvement in how I feel vs when I just eat processed foods.

Thank you so much, RW, and amen to home-grown food! We turned approximately 1/3 of our backyard area into a garden this spring, and almost our whole deck is covered with planters filled with herbs, garlic, and flowers (some edible) to attract bees. It was a ton of work, but so worth it. We've been eating salads out of it pretty much every night for months now - and something new we tried to grow this year was potatoes. It was like Christmas morning digging through those buckets (highly recommend the bucket method of growing taters) and finding treasure after treasure! Our little grandkids had a blast helping us find them, too; so fun. We will double the amount of potato buckets next year, as nothing is tasting better than those fresh, home-grown spuds. This is the method we followed and it worked great! https://youtu.be/ICHFDQGKG2k

We planted our 'fall' garden in early September, and so far so good. The cool weather crops do pretty well here.

So true about processed foods (I hesitate to even call it food, tbh). "...evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days", indeed.

Lexew1899
captain of 1,000

Re: Let Food Be Your Medicine

Post by Lexew1899 »

Eat lots of fast food. It's the best way to fast on Sundays and all throughout the week. I just still can't believe how prophetic the scriptures were, revealing in these later days we would have fast food, even before the concept existed.

Being There
captain of 1,000

Post by Being There »

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

EmmaLee wrote: October 4th, 2022, 11:33 am ...something new we tried to grow this year was potatoes. It was like Christmas morning digging through those buckets (highly recommend the bucket method of growing taters) and finding treasure after treasure! Our little grandkids had a blast helping us find them, too; so fun. We will double the amount of potato buckets next year, as nothing is tasting better than those fresh, home-grown spuds. This is the method we followed and it worked great! https://youtu.be/ICHFDQGKG2k
I've heard of people doing potato towers before. They start with the potato at the bottom of a large barrel drilled with holes in the sides for drainage. As the plant grows they fill the barrel slowly up with dirt. Some people get between 50-100 lbs of potatoes per barrel.

My wife also recently learned that you can Dry Pack (can) potatoes. We are going to try that out when we harvest our potatoes. From what I gather these potatoes make excellent hashbrowns. Here's one video, but we haven't figured out what recipe we're going to try:

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

Thank you for this thread. I personally am identifying various trees, plants-weeds on my country land. I am then reading all I can find on each plant. It is surprising to see all of the health benefits that are around me. Sap, seeds, leaves, bark, roots... It is all valuable. Now I just need to learn what they are best used for and how to extract/use each.

I am buying up books and downloading all the info that I can get my hands on. Obviously pharmaceutical companies copied many of the medicinal properties in plants and put them in pill form. Much easier than harvesting your own, but I prefer natural remedies as they are often less stressful on your system.

Big pharma pushes campaigns to tell us NOT TO USE plants for medicinal purposes because it is dangerous. (It could be if used incorrectly) But, mainly they do not want people to find easy solutions and not be in need of their products.

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

I've had sinus allergy issues for all my life. Three sinus surgeries...was signing up for a fourth...from a fungal infection that needs to usually be scraped down to the bone. My Ige was 1800...for anyone that's familiar. A saving grace I found just recently that prevented another surgery was a product by Thorne (a good company) called olive leaf extract. I've tried other brands and there is a difference. I had been on 6 or 7 antibiotics in the last year....to no avail. Could not breathe out of my nostrils at all. This cleared it up in a few days. Amazing. My friend actually has an olive tree and makes tea from it's leaves for sinus infections. Maybe you could plant a tree? My allergies have been significantly better also. And it's helped my kids. Good stuff!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Momma J wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:33 am Thank you for this thread. I personally am identifying various trees, plants-weeds on my country land. I am then reading all I can find on each plant. It is surprising to see all of the health benefits that are around me. Sap, seeds, leaves, bark, roots... It is all valuable. Now I just need to learn what they are best used for and how to extract/use each.

I am buying up books and downloading all the info that I can get my hands on. Obviously pharmaceutical companies copied many of the medicinal properties in plants and put them in pill form. Much easier than harvesting your own, but I prefer natural remedies as they are often less stressful on your system.

Big pharma pushes campaigns to tell us NOT TO USE plants for medicinal purposes because it is dangerous. (It could be if used incorrectly) But, mainly they do not want people to find easy solutions and not be in need of their products.
The Willow tree bark (the inside light colored part) is where Aspirin came from. We have several large trees on/near our property. I’ve really enjoyed learning from this lady:

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

It’s good to see this. As I’ve been having more success in repenting lately, I’m moving towards removing all of my idols. Apparently food is one of them (I really didn’t think I was that bad). No more simple carbs for me. Talk about straight and narrow path, whew. Maybe I’ll have more to contribute as I move forward lol.

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

The Willow tree bark (the inside light colored part) is where Aspirin came from. We have several large trees on/near our property. I’ve really enjoyed learning from this lady:
[/quote]

My mom gave me willow tree bark capsules growing up whenever I had headaches. We treated strep with grapefruit seed extract.

Some essential oils I always have on hand, oregano oil, tea tree, lavender, peppermint, lemongrass, and eucalyptus. I have many others but those are staples.

Homeopathic remedies are also useful and worth looking into.

From a word of wisdom standpoint...the blessings of having the destroying angel pass us by in the latter days is pretty significant. As is receiving hidden treasures of knowledge.

Meat especially, I believe can hinder our ability to receive...taking in dead matter. Especially with the traumatic and abusive treatment they receive...we then take that into our spirits. The antibiotics, growth hormones, vaccines they receive have impacted our health negatively and I think attributes to the early puberty our youth are experiencing......conspiring men. Forks over knives was an interesting documentary to watch... Especially the party about meat in wars, and it's impact on cancer numbers.

I think it's great you're looking to improve your health... It will improve all of your relationships with others as a natural consequence.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I've started growing sprouts and radishes to include in my diet. My radishes in the summer garden really took a beating due to the wind and heat the last month or so, but these sprouts in the greenhouse are doing exceptionally well. No wind, more regulated temperature, and I installed water misters to up the humidity.

The radishes in the photo are 3 weeks old and will be ready to harvest in one more week. The sprout mixes are only two weeks growth.

So why radishes and sprouts? Lots of vitamin C and other minerals.
Attachments
Radish.jpg
Radish.jpg (215.05 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
sprout-1.jpg
sprout-1.jpg (493.52 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
sprout-2.jpg
sprout-2.jpg (128.52 KiB) Viewed 1298 times

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:49 am I've started growing sprouts and radishes to include in my diet. My radishes in the summer garden really took a beating due to the wind and heat the last month or so, but these sprouts in the greenhouse are doing exceptionally well. No wind, more regulated temperature, and I installed water misters to up the humidity.

The radishes in the photo are 3 weeks old and will be ready to harvest in one more week. The sprout mixes are only two weeks growth.

So why radishes and sprouts? Lots of vitamin C and other minerals.
That's a great looking set up hermano! And the veggies speak for themselves, nice work👍

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I've watched a handful of videos from this Australian dude. Most memorable quote from the video. "If you don't eat, you don't fart. And if you don't fart, you die." :)

I would most likely substitute pumpkins for zucchini or squash. Squash in particular can store in a cold ground cellar for 12-18 months. We just finished off our last spaghetti squash a few weeks ago from last year's harvest.

Does anyone have experience fermenting foods?

zionbuilder
captain of 100

Post by zionbuilder »

So funny, because I was going to come on here and suggest water kefir....it's a type of fermentation and you can use the grains produced by someone else in your area. I don't have much experience myself but a thought I had. You could look up a recipe for radish kimchi....that's pretty yummy with some rice. Always read through the reviews, because often there are tweaks others have found to make it just a smidge better. Another idea is to drink water with a little bit of baking soda...but good quality, not cut with other ingredients. Bob's mill is the one I buy....it attributes to an alkaline body, with the idea that an alkaline body cannot play host to DISease. Always pray over your food....asking the light of Christ to purify and protect you and your food. Pray over your garden three times a day...speak to your plants and show gratitude for them fulfilling the measure of their creation. Do the same for your own body....what a miracle it is!

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

We decided to grow a few purple carrots this year. I picked one early on and the taste wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I tried again this week and found that these puppies get BIG. The taste really hasn't improved yet, but maybe the sugars will set with a few light touches of frost.

Why purple carrots? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pu ... -nutrition

"What makes purple carrots nutritionally unique is their content of the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anthocyanins belong to the polyphenol family of antioxidants and are found in purple fruits and vegetables like blackberries, grapes, purple potatoes, purple cabbage, and purple carrots.

Antioxidants like anthocyanins help protect your body from oxidative stress, which refers to an imbalance between reactive molecules called free radicals and antioxidants in your body.

Oxidative stress has been linked to health conditions such as cancer, mental decline, heart disease, and aging."

Since I don't own a juicer yet, (we have one coming in the mail) I chopped this guy up and liquified it in my blender with a little water and ice. The taste wasn't so bad. I poured it into a strainer and then compressed it with another strainer on top.
Attachments
purple-carrot.jpg
purple-carrot.jpg (231.51 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

Here's the top crop:
th (1).jpg
th (1).jpg (40.04 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

As I’m getting more into this I’m seeing some problems. Maybe it’s just my perspective, but the whole world is all jacked up. We’ve become ever dependent on Babylon for too long.

To cut out all simple carbs, I was going to use as a staple a brown rice and lentils mix for dinner (breakfast and lunch is easy to work with). Then I realized that brown rice is about as bad a food there is for arsenic (seems to check out everywhere I look)—which sucks because brown rice is so darn cheap, tasty, and good for you. Now I’m looking into quinoa, but that’s like 5 times more expensive and not as “local” of a staple as I was hoping. I think it’s fairly affordable in the long run, but kind of a bummer. The more I look into good, whole foods the more I see Babylon ruining everything in every effort made to compensate. And I’m having to go this alone since I can’t get my family on board yet—so trying to do this as simply and time efficiently so as not to take away from the regular family meal.

I’m going to look into farmers markets as well. I move so often that small-scale gardening is all I can really do. I think buying local and in season is the WoW-ey thing to do.

I did come across this go-to resource for specific food info and fasting tips reference. He puts out just a ton of content that you can just search his channel and find a lot of answers.

The good news is that I’m not missing the processed foods. I’ve done this before, but I want this to be a permanent move. I swear I was tasting more and more chemicals than ever recently in any processed foods. Screw that. No more sauces or anything either—just simple spices. I’m okay with good ol’ salt and pepper.

All I’m trying to do is find a short-term fix so I can move into the next thing to overcome. Getting there…

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Jonesy wrote: October 12th, 2022, 5:13 am As I’m getting more into this I’m seeing some problems. Maybe it’s just my perspective, but the whole world is all jacked up. We’ve become ever dependent on Babylon for too long.

To cut out all simple carbs, I was going to use as a staple a brown rice and lentils mix for dinner (breakfast and lunch is easy to work with). Then I realized that brown rice is about as bad a food there is for arsenic (seems to check out everywhere I look)—which sucks because brown rice is so darn cheap, tasty, and good for you. Now I’m looking into quinoa, but that’s like 5 times more expensive and not as “local” of a staple as I was hoping. I think it’s fairly affordable in the long run, but kind of a bummer. The more I look into good, whole foods the more I see Babylon ruining everything in every effort made to compensate. And I’m having to go this alone since I can’t get my family on board yet—so trying to do this as simply and time efficiently so as not to take away from the regular family meal.

I’m going to look into farmers markets as well. I move so often that small-scale gardening is all I can really do. I think buying local and in season is the WoW-ey thing to do.

I did come across this go-to resource for specific food info and fasting tips reference. He puts out just a ton of content that you can just search his channel and find a lot of answers.

The good news is that I’m not missing the processed foods. I’ve done this before, but I want this to be a permanent move. I swear I was tasting more and more chemicals than ever recently in any processed foods. Screw that. No more sauces or anything either—just simple spices. I’m okay with good ol’ salt and pepper.

All I’m trying to do is find a short-term fix so I can move into the next thing to overcome. Getting there…
It's difficult to find food in the grocery store that doesn't have a lot of weird stuff in there. And I'm not just talking food in a box, can, or bag, but even fruits and vegetables. One of my favorite garden items is a vine-ripe tomato. You cannot get that taste from a store-bought tomato. The same goes for many fruits, even vegetables.

Growing your own microgreens and sprouts is one way to mix up your diet without the need for space. A few mason jars and straining lids and you're good. They do grow much larger if you plant them in soil, and they grow really quickly. You even get radishes out of some of them if you let them go long enough. The leaves are edible when larger if you water them sufficiently.

Oh, and quinoa is a wonderful food. One of the few grains with all 9 essential amino acids. We like to add fruit, granola, yogurt, and usually sweeten with honey or sugar-free syrup. We buy it in in 25 lb bags. Right now they are going for $69 per bag. That would feed a single person for a very long time: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CC ... UTF8&psc=1

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Here's another suggestion. Try swapping out your iodized table salt for Real Salt. We've been using real salt for a few years and can't stand iodized salt. We buy two 25lb bags and put them in 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid, for long-term storage. We also buy the 10 lb bags to keep near the kitchen.

25 lb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K ... UTF8&psc=1

10 lb
https://www.amazon.com/Redmond-Salt-Nat ... pons&psc=1

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

I've been doing a little study on how to make certain kinds of vinegar. This was a simple DIY for apple cider. I used red wine vinegar on olive oil on my salads.

Here's one comment from the video: "This past winner I canned pumpkin and I decided to make pumpkin vinegar! I added cinnamon ginger and 5 -stars spice And some orange peel to it. It made the BEST vinegar I have ever tasted !!
And here's a link to the list of benefits of adding vinegar to your diet: https://www.organicfacts.net/vinegar.html

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

It’s that time of year if you are in to harvesting Rose Hips for tea or infused in oil. I just gathered a medium bowl of rose hips from a rose plant in our yard.

Rose Hips tea:
Oil infusion
The difference between Rose hip seed oil and infused oil

TwochurchesOnly
captain of 1,000

Post by TwochurchesOnly »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 11th, 2022, 11:33 am We decided to grow a few purple carrots this year. I picked one early on and the taste wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I tried again this week and found that these puppies get BIG. The taste really hasn't improved yet, but maybe the sugars will set with a few light touches of frost.

Why purple carrots? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/pu ... -nutrition

"What makes purple carrots nutritionally unique is their content of the antioxidants anthocyanins.

Anthocyanins belong to the polyphenol family of antioxidants and are found in purple fruits and vegetables like blackberries, grapes, purple potatoes, purple cabbage, and purple carrots.

Antioxidants like anthocyanins help protect your body from oxidative stress, which refers to an imbalance between reactive molecules called free radicals and antioxidants in your body.

Oxidative stress has been linked to health conditions such as cancer, mental decline, heart disease, and aging."

Since I don't own a juicer yet, (we have one coming in the mail) I chopped this guy up and liquified it in my blender with a little water and ice. The taste wasn't so bad. I poured it into a strainer and then compressed it with another strainer on top.
Lovely color and design - the sliced section