Food Shortage Thread

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Great8
captain of 100

Re: Food Shortage Thread

Post by Great8 »

Quality General Conference talks relating to Christ and the Last Days are also in shortage....lol...

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Fred wrote: October 11th, 2022, 10:48 am
HVDC wrote: October 11th, 2022, 12:36 am
FrankOne wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:54 pm
Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:17 pm

For many years, one could not afford to feed chickens if egg sales had to compete with large chicken farms. Now the little guy has a chance. Especially if he/she can open range without fear of predators.
If anyone is getting serious about eggs or prepping to feed chickens, it is possible to find corn and wheat for sale by the tote sack which is about 2000lbs. At that quantity, you can buy at close to bushel price which is between 50% to 70% less than buying sacked feed.

25 hens will eat about 1 ton total a year. Buy one ton of each and you'll have two years supply for that number of hens. In most areas it is impossible to feed chickens on free range without large quantities of water for irrigation not to mention winter limitations. Depending on where you buy this feed in quantity, two tons of feed will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00.
Ain't toting that around!

Sir H
Yeah. I have a car trailer that I could put it on to get it home, but how would I get it off?
When I have my property up there, (😉😁) we'll have a 'community' forklift or we'll fab up a little community crane/cherry picker like they use for loading/unloading those big welders on those rig welders that work the oil lines, etc

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

For many years, one could not afford to feed chickens if egg sales had to compete with large chicken farms. Now the little guy has a chance. Especially if he/she can open range without fear of predators.
If anyone is getting serious about eggs or prepping to feed chickens, it is possible to find corn and wheat for sale by the tote sack which is about 2000lbs. At that quantity, you can buy at close to bushel price which is between 50% to 70% less than buying sacked feed.

25 hens will eat about 1 ton total a year. Buy one ton of each and you'll have two years supply for that number of hens. In most areas it is impossible to feed chickens on free range without large quantities of water for irrigation not to mention winter limitations. Depending on where you buy this feed in quantity, two tons of feed will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00.

Sir H
Yeah. I have a car trailer that I could put it on to get it home, but how would I get it off?
edit to add because I lumped a response to two posts:

you can find someone with a backhoe to get it off or a large tractor. Put it in steel barrels to store,, you can find used barrels for about $10 each. Using 5 gallon buckets to scoop, you can empty a tote quite quickly as well. The totes rot quickly and promote spoilage as well.

Corn needs to be aired out in the barrels for a few weeks with the top off the barrel or mold will grow. After a few weeks, you can seal the barrels. The kernals of corn can be stored for years. The flake or crushed ...? maybe a year? You can crush the corn kernals in various ways. The chickens can't eat the kernels. A small impact mill for crushing rocks works very well. You can buy these used pretty cheap. Or by hand with a capped steel pole in a larger diameter steel container.

you can buy the bulk corn at IFA , just south of Nephi, UT. They will ship it to another IFA of your choice.
====
other response:
you have a good point. Up until about 5 yrs ago, I had a very definite plan to remain mobile. Then I moved and things changed and I believe I'll remain in this location for at least several years. I'm in a rural area. The choice to go mobile would likely be the best choice for 99% of the population. It is my 'experience' that maybe 90% of those in large or medium sized cities are doomed. Buckets of feed and a few chickens would be a good idea. Harvesting grasses and weeds can be done to sustain them. You likely already know this but they need about 1/4 lb of feed a day per bird.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Sir H
One scoop at a time.

Sir H

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

One thing to be ready for is that the harvest in the midwest is poor, bushels per acre has been all over the place, usually on the low side.
Cotton harvest in Texas, one of the largest production areas in the US is also going to be really bad. Women might want to stock up on feminine hygiene products that contain cotton.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Eggs at our local Costco in Spanish Fork, UT, are still $5.99 for 2 dozen. They’re from Utah and are fed some DHA food, so they’re high in omega 3’s. They might have gone up ~.60 since the shortages. Got a carton today and they have a 5-foot-high pallet of them.

Edit to add: This isn't true of other stores we frequent. Walmart and Smiths are frequently very low on eggs and have more than doubled their prices. Sams is often low, but we rarely buy eggs there anymore.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

I'm just starting this video, but very applicable to the OP:

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Probably my favorite quote from the video:
“The less people there are walking around ready to eat somebody else, the better off we’re going to be.”

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Becky's Homestead on youtube has a recipe for chicken food. Mix corn, oats, grain free cat food and black sunflower seeds. The chickens will continue to lay eggs in winter she says.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

How are your grain supplies? I suggest that you stock up while you can.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ter-levels

Little parts of the linked article:
The water in the Mississippi River has dropped so low that barges are getting stuck, leading to expensive dredging and at least one recent traffic jam of more than 2,000 vessels backed up.

The Mississippi River Basin produces nearly all – 92% – of US agricultural exports, and 78% of the global exports of feed grains and soybeans. The recent drought has dropped water levels to alarmingly low levels that are causing shipping delays, and seeing the costs of alternative transport, such as rail, rise. The halted barges were carrying recently harvested corn and soybeans.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

so, I'm looking for some facts as well and having limited luck. I do see here that most things are 50% higher and the sale prices and lower brands seem harder to get. I.e. there was always expensive pasta noodles, at 2x price, but now that is all there is, and usually 12 oz vs. 16 oz in 3/4 filled box.

I followed some links and did some research that says we're headed for massive crop failures and herds are shrunken. Then I looked at the official websites and see all is well (maybe down 8%). But, then I hear what we see isn't real because we're buying down end of last years surplus and the shock is yet to come, that futures and current prices are inverted, etc... ? But, I cannot really find anything I trust on either side. Like many the conspiracy sounds eerie and cool, but is it real? I see photos of dead corn, drought maps, hear of lack of fertilizer, etc... but where I drive and hunt I see drought, but have so every few la nina years anyway? anybody got any good facts one way or the other? How about those in farmland seeing what is going on around them across the nation?

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

TheDuke wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:44 am so, I'm looking for some facts as well and having limited luck. I do see here that most things are 50% higher and the sale prices and lower brands seem harder to get. I.e. there was always expensive pasta noodles, at 2x price, but now that is all there is, and usually 12 oz vs. 16 oz in 3/4 filled box.

I followed some links and did some research that says we're headed for massive crop failures and herds are shrunken. Then I looked at the official websites and see all is well (maybe down 8%). But, then I hear what we see isn't real because we're buying down end of last years surplus and the shock is yet to come, that futures and current prices are inverted, etc... ? But, I cannot really find anything I trust on either side. Like many the conspiracy sounds eerie and cool, but is it real? I see photos of dead corn, drought maps, hear of lack of fertilizer, etc... but where I drive and hunt I see drought, but have so every few la nina years anyway? anybody got any good facts one way or the other? How about those in farmland seeing what is going on around them across the nation?
The only thing that grabbed my attention (besides what you have mentioned in the stores) was the sign in the feed store asking people to get the hay orders in quickly because the local farmers had very little hay available this year.

It is also tougher to find chicks. I think this might be because more people are deciding to try their hand at raising chickens.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Pasta although still fairly inexpensive is 69% higher than 2 years ago.

Each time I got the store I think," I may never see food of this quality or price again".

It is hard to not fill my car with goods. Trying to have faith not fear.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

I went with a friend to Costco and picked up 100# more of rice, figuring I will eat it and if things get bad, for 2 of us (if shtf will be many more) for 3 months..... It was cheap today, much less than I've paid in the past, $14 per 25# but the Kirkland brand of long grain, which, I'm betting isn't so long as I don't like the real long, long grained stuff.

I am looking for the sales that I always got on pasta as well, none to be found. Safeway was always like $1.20 or so, but I'd never spent more than $1 per pound and less for elbows in larger boxes. No more store brand and the other is $2 on sale for $1.70 or something. At walmart seems most packages were now only 12 oz vs. pound and to buy name brand elbows and $1.50 pounds.

That is what I'm seeing. Regularly high normal prices with many sales, that are no longer around, then only the more expensive brands, then in smaller packages. Also higher by more than 50% is bread, bacon, frozen corn (no more 32 oz packages now only 12 oz), mushrooms, onions are up and then up and down, potatoes up, but some times in small bags and almost double, though I got 10# Yukons for $9 at Costco when Safeway and Wally World were over $6 for 3#.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

TheDuke wrote: October 17th, 2022, 7:00 pm I went with a friend to Costco and picked up 100# more of rice, figuring I will eat it and if things get bad, for 2 of us (if shtf will be many more) for 3 months..... It was cheap today, much less than I've paid in the past, $14 per 25# but the Kirkland brand of long grain, which, I'm betting isn't so long as I don't like the real long, long grained stuff.

I am looking for the sales that I always got on pasta as well, none to be found. Safeway was always like $1.20 or so, but I'd never spent more than $1 per pound and less for elbows in larger boxes. No more store brand and the other is $2 on sale for $1.70 or something. At walmart seems most packages were now only 12 oz vs. pound and to buy name brand elbows and $1.50 pounds.

That is what I'm seeing. Regularly high normal prices with many sales, that are no longer around, then only the more expensive brands, then in smaller packages. Also higher by more than 50% is bread, bacon, frozen corn (no more 32 oz packages now only 12 oz), mushrooms, onions are up and then up and down, potatoes up, but some times in small bags and almost double, though I got 10# Yukons for $9 at Costco when Safeway and Wally World were over $6 for 3#.
I'm shopping the same places and see the same stuff.....yes everything is high high high...also no baby formula to be found at Costco around the sound this past week....i have a new grandson living in the Burien area who needs formula and we couldn't find any...lucky I bought my limit at lacey Costco last month so he has forumula for now....you can buy two two packs per visit at Costco.....on the hunt now for more.....you can get it on amazon but its super expensive and delivery can be delayed...so you don't know if you can get it on time which is stressful for a first time mother who has been trying to nurse but isn't having very good luck....of course she wants Kirkland brand which is enfimil neuro pro....soooo off to Costco I go tomorrow to try and find formula....i didn't have my garden this year as normal because of a house remodel that my husband I are doing and i was afraid I'd be overbooked trying to weed a garden every day.....i sure miss my romaine and Yukon gold potatoes we grew for the past several years....and all the other good stuff....my sunroom is under renovation where i raised lettuce inside for the past two winters...so now i just get to buy it till i finish my remodel...still waiting on exterior doors and finally got the windows i ordered like six months ago yesterday....good thing it's been like 80 degrees here in the pnw while my house has been basically wide open....lol...well patched with plywood at times....upgrading my house right now was probably not a smart move on my part.....

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Butter is now $5.69 a pound...

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

tribrac wrote: October 17th, 2022, 8:19 pm Butter is now $5.69 a pound...
unless you buy the pure Irish kind and then it's more like 12.00 per lb or more....it does taste expensive as well....and now my husband has taken a liking to it, there is no going back as long as I have the 12 bucks.....lol....which might not be that much longer the way things are going....

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

TheDuke wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:44 am so, I'm looking for some facts as well and having limited luck. I do see here that most things are 50% higher and the sale prices and lower brands seem harder to get. I.e. there was always expensive pasta noodles, at 2x price, but now that is all there is, and usually 12 oz vs. 16 oz in 3/4 filled box.

not me. no good facts here either. seeing the same - "all is well" including the stock market from mainstream media; millions dead or about to die, drought, heating oil, natural gas going to skyrocket and blackouts in the N.E. this winter.

I think EVERYONE with ANY kind of POWER is hiding the real news until after the elections. Then we'll see what happens. Something inside me says "MOVE!", so, since our bank account won't be able to cover property taxes, major health problem with our dog that we need to fix (heartworms = $1200 - yes, he's worth it, very good dog- maybe the best), and other expenses - anyway, I'm going to finish building our house with the credit card - looks to be about $9k. I had it up to $13k when I had to buy over 800 boards to finish the roof in a bulk purchase, and paid it all back down to almost nothing within 2 years, and still continued to build, so I'm not too concerned at this point with debt.

I think if I wait several months, save my pennies and pay cash, prices for materials are going to be out of control.

For the coming crop year, I think it's all about the Colorado River basin - Lake Mead specifically: if Lake mead doesn't come back from the last decade of drought this winter, things are going to be awful next year, since most of the country's vegetables come from California + Colorado River.

Latest water level here:
http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/ . water year started on Oct 1 - 35 feet lower than the average from previous years. if the water use is the same as last year, but the winter snowpack doesn't change, folks downriver will be without power AND food. next summer.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

all stores around here have been out of "State Fair" brand all beef corndogs. It's the only kind we'll buy if we're in the mood for them. I bring this up because I wonder if there's a beef shortage to the point they aren't putting them in cheap "fast food". Also, the uncured 100% beef franks have been low in stock.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

My Chickens are mottling. I have found some cage free egg brands at $3 something for a dozen. Cheaper than the regular.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Beef facts to know

Post by Fred »

Four meat packers control 85% of the market. Foreign meat is labeled as USA.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

We installed a large water storage system on our property. Unfortunately I have not had free tome away from work to get it filled. I have thought about the scripture stating the children of Israel would need to flee to the mountains (possibly in the next few weeks if there is fall out coming) but I have felt that I may be taking a few folks in with my family first then moving on. My feeling is to shelter in place for a time, then when the Chinese invade shortly thereafter we'll need to move out. SO I am watching prices and increasing whatever I can, because I don't know exactly ow many the Lord is going to ask me to feed.

Gas is back over $6.00 again in greater Seattle.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

A few news sites are reporting that there is only 25 days until we run out of Deisel fuel, BUT this happened in 2008. Does anyone know if this is as bad as it sounds?

https://news.yahoo.com/diesel-supply-ju ... 33244.html.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

harakim wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:26 pm Fred posted some specific information on shortages in my shortages thread. I think it would be good to have a thread where we:
1. Talk about shortages we notice
2. Inquire about the health of the supply chain across the US (and the world). I think we have people in at least 10 states and countries who post here and it would be interesting if people thought there was a shortage of bottled water or bread, to inquire. Maybe we even just have a list of 10 commodities we watch and when you go to the store, you update your status post with any new information.

Anyway, I thought something like this could be interesting. I go to the store very infrequently but if this has interest, I can make regular trips to report on the supply in my region.

So, let's start with shortages we notice and see where it goes.
An aspect to consider...

Using propane or natural gas as an example...it may be available but the cost could be more than we can bare...effectively creating a shortage in our usage. If refilling my propane tank...which has already doubled from less than $500 to nearly $1k...doubles or triples again...even though it is readily available...it may as well not be effectively...

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

It is coming, it will be worse than you thought.

Worse than stores in April 2020.