Food Shortage Thread

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Momma J
captain of 1,000

Re: Food Shortage Thread

Post by Momma J »

I went to Sam's for our company supplies. They were out of some of our favorites. I also noticed that the area where they normally have three short rows of fresh produce was condensed to two rows placed further apart.

No artificial sweeteners. We normally keep several brands on hand in the breakroom. They had NONE. I can usually find Sweet N Low, Splenda, and Equal.

No Pretzels. I normally have a choice of individual bags or a large tub.

No Solo drink cups

No plastic spoons

As always.... the junk food selection is thriving, possibly growing

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

farmerchick wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:50 pm AI or avian influenza is a particularly high threat to poultry this year. California has lost chicken and turkeys recently and AI has been reported in Oregon and Washington in the past few months in back yard flocks....commercial flocks so far in the pnw are unaffected but on alert. Walmart in my area also has containers in the parking lot....I don't usually shop Walmart but did notice the containers have been there for some time. Grocery prices here are very expensive like at least 30 percent higher since the spring, but seems I can get everything I want easily. Construction materials seem to be a problem. My remodel windows and doors have been delayed. I Ordered them in may and June and still not here. We have plywood in place for now but I would like to get them before it really starts to rain....lol.....
Met someone.

We talked.

Vaxxes came up.

He told me at his last job he used to insert something into chicken eggs.

To make a vaxxine.

For the Avian Flu.

I can't help but wonder.

If the purpose of this chicken vaxx.

Is to spread the Avian Flu.

What do you think?

Sir FABBO!

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

Gas last Friday: $3.08
Gas this past Friday: $3.29

I know you Utahns have been paying a lot more for a while, but this is a 6% jump in a week for a place that has some of the lowest gas prices in the country. OPEC pulling back, Russia fired 100 missiles at Ukraine this morning, Europe not going to give on their "Russian oil ban" - which means they'll buy gas from the same countries the US is going to have to buy from, since drilling for our own oil would be "bad for the environment". Nordstream was obviously a USA job to "save the environment" or something. Of course this is all ignoring nuclear war's effect on the environment like the good little commies they are, but I digress....

The point is:

And guess which country does well with war in the winter time. (not a question)

Next year doesn't look so good for food production in the USA either.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

HVDC wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:09 am
farmerchick wrote: October 6th, 2022, 4:50 pm AI or avian influenza is a particularly high threat to poultry this year. California has lost chicken and turkeys recently and AI has been reported in Oregon and Washington in the past few months in back yard flocks....commercial flocks so far in the pnw are unaffected but on alert. Walmart in my area also has containers in the parking lot....I don't usually shop Walmart but did notice the containers have been there for some time. Grocery prices here are very expensive like at least 30 percent higher since the spring, but seems I can get everything I want easily. Construction materials seem to be a problem. My remodel windows and doors have been delayed. I Ordered them in may and June and still not here. We have plywood in place for now but I would like to get them before it really starts to rain....lol.....
Met someone.

We talked.

Vaxxes came up.

To make a vaxxine.

For the Avian Flu.

I can't help but wonder.

What do you think?

Sir FABBO!
supposedly the vets say the virus that is avian influenza is spread thru wild bird populations to domesticated backyard flocks and from there to commercial flocks. Canadian geese are big culprits because they fly so far south each year and then migrate back north having alot of opportunity to get infected and then infect other wild populations as they travel. Commercial flocks like chickens and turkeys are usually contained inside and are not as vulnerable to fly over wild populations. Commercial flocks could get infected by people taking the virus into the environment on their shoes or clothes. Vehicles have to be washed in and out of farms as well as iodine dips used for boots going In and out of growing environments. I don't know about the egg thing.....i'm sure we have experts on the forum here who do...the vets say AI just goes around the world in a cycle till it becomes obsolete or less virulent....just like covid 19 apparently. Wild birds always carry viruses and diseases which is the root cause.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

farmerchick wrote: October 10th, 2022, 1:25 pm
Met someone.

We talked.

Vaxxes came up.

To make a vaxxine.

For the Avian Flu.

I can't help but wonder.

What do you think?

Sir FABBO!
supposedly the vets say the virus that is avian influenza is spread thru wild bird populations to domesticated backyard flocks and from there to commercial flocks. Canadian geese are big culprits because they fly so far south each year and then migrate back north having alot of opportunity to get infected and then infect other wild populations as they travel. Commercial flocks like chickens and turkeys are usually contained inside and are not as vulnerable to fly over wild populations. Commercial flocks could get infected by people taking the virus into the environment on their shoes or clothes. Vehicles have to be washed in and out of farms as well as iodine dips used for boots going In and out of growing environments. I don't know about the egg thing.....i'm sure we have experts on the forum here who do...the vets say AI just goes around the world in a cycle till it becomes obsolete or less virulent....just like covid 19 apparently. Wild birds always carry viruses and diseases which is the root cause.
Don't really know.

But I call BS on all of that.

I am outdoors a lot.

Nary a dead bird to see.

Of course.

The Critters may be eating them faster than I can come across them.

But.

Given what we have experienced with the so called Covid-19 fiasco.

I doubt anything they tell us is real.

Jus' Say'n.

Thanks.

Sir H

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

The price of eggs is horrible. 6 something dollars for an 18 pack at Walmart. I do have chickens though thank goodness. The poverty levels are going to be awful.
Last edited by OCDMOM on October 10th, 2022, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Before 2021, I lived one mile from 4 grocery stores so I could shop sales and clearances regularly. One was Walmart, and there were some thing I always got there because of the regular price being lower than other store’s sale price. Eggs, sour cream, cream cheese, store-brand tortilla chips are what comes to mind. Well these items at Walmart have DOUBLED in price, and the eggs are triple what they were, every day, not just on a random sale.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

OCDMOM wrote: October 10th, 2022, 3:56 pm The price of eggs is horrible. 6 something dollars for an 18 pack at Walmart. I do have chickens though thank goodness. The poverty levels are going to be awful.
For many years, one could not afford to feed chickens if egg sales had to compete with large chicken farms. Now the little guy has a chance. Especially if he/she can open range without fear of predators.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

HVDC wrote: October 10th, 2022, 2:57 pm
Met someone.

We talked.

Vaxxes came up.

To make a vaxxine.

For the Avian Flu.

I can't help but wonder.

What do you think?

Sir FABBO!
Don't really know.

I am outdoors a lot.

Nary a dead bird to see.

Of course.

But.

Jus' Say'n.

Thanks.

Sir H
don't believe me...do your own research......Ai does kill certain bird populations......backyard flocks get sick and die as they are exposed to bird crap from migratory birds who may be carriers.....then the farmer calls the vet...it gets tested and they destroy the whole population.....sick animals should not be processed for food in my opinion......thats why I grow my own. If a commercial flock gets it and say like 20 to 50 percent get sick and die....normal mortality is like 1 percent or lesst per week in commercial flocks....the vet comes...they test the flock and if ai is found, they depopulate the whole farm costing millions of dollars for large facilities.....and then they formaldehyde the facility and let it rest for a up to six months...no birds can be placed.....disinfection stations and foot dips for all workers are part of the biosecurity, wild birds nests are not allowed near or on/inside the facility....its a very costly thing if ai gets in the commercial population.,,.so I don't know....they are just doing it for fun I guess...the farmers...the integrators....the government....farmers won't get paid....the integrators get government crop insurance money and the price goes up for consumers if there isn't enough to go around....could be a conspiracy...but I doubt it......wild populations don't necessarily die from it...just like covid 19... Viruses change and some populations become immune....domestic populations are more susceptible because they are grown for only 6 to seven weeks for chickens and turkeys for 16 to 20 weeks . Plus the virus can spread quickly through the flock of they get it....but again don't believe me....lol.....this has been going on for thirty years or longer....pretty standard procedure for the commercial flocks to be on guard for diseases that can wipe out the flock... ...ai is not new...it's just the awareness of it is now mainstream plus the FDA has regulated what medications can be given to food grade animals and nothing can be done for viruses like ai that I'm aware of....

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:17 pm
OCDMOM wrote: October 10th, 2022, 3:56 pm The price of eggs is horrible. 6 something dollars for an 18 pack at Walmart. I do have chickens though thank goodness. The poverty levels are going to be awful.
For many years, one could not afford to feed chickens if egg sales had to compete with large chicken farms. Now the little guy has a chance. Especially if he/she can open range without fear of predators.
If anyone is getting serious about eggs or prepping to feed chickens, it is possible to find corn and wheat for sale by the tote sack which is about 2000lbs. At that quantity, you can buy at close to bushel price which is between 50% to 70% less than buying sacked feed.

25 hens will eat about 1 ton total a year. Buy one ton of each and you'll have two years supply for that number of hens. In most areas it is impossible to feed chickens on free range without large quantities of water for irrigation not to mention winter limitations. Depending on where you buy this feed in quantity, two tons of feed will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Our little gals don’t stand a chance. The neighbor lost 13 chickens in under a week. Mostly due to foxes. We even had some animal try to bite through the chicken wire. It broken several strands of wire and pushed the mesh in a few inches.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Our little gals don’t stand a chance. The neighbor lost 13 chickens in under a week. Mostly due to foxes. We even had some animal try to bite through the chicken wire. It broken several strands of wire and pushed the mesh in a few inches.
Chickens can be a challenge. I had 7 foot chicken wire fence, but this year the birds can fly over it. So I had to put wire across the top. I had ground squirrels that burrowed under the fence and ate the food. I placed big rocks all around the perimeter so the damn squirrels couldn't get in. So far, the coyotes have eaten a dozen cats, but not a chicken, yet.

I have to get another dog. I used to mark my territory by peeing around the property. Keeps coyotes at bay, but I only recently started doing it again after several years. The snakes finally left. Haven't seen one in a long time.

Never a dull moment.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:08 pm Chickens can be a challenge. I had 7 foot chicken wire fence, but this year the birds can fly over it. So I had to put wire across the top. I had ground squirrels that burrowed under the fence and ate the food. I placed big rocks all around the perimeter so the damn squirrels couldn't get in. So far, the coyotes have eaten a dozen cats, but not a chicken, yet.

I have to get another dog. I used to mark my territory by peeing around the property. Keeps coyotes at bay, but I only recently started doing it again after several years. The snakes finally left. Haven't seen one in a long time.

Never a dull moment.
We buried about 1 ft of fence below the ground to stop predators from digging underneath.

A dozen cats....?! 😳

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:25 pm
Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:08 pm Chickens can be a challenge. I had 7 foot chicken wire fence, but this year the birds can fly over it. So I had to put wire across the top. I had ground squirrels that burrowed under the fence and ate the food. I placed big rocks all around the perimeter so the damn squirrels couldn't get in. So far, the coyotes have eaten a dozen cats, but not a chicken, yet.

Never a dull moment.
We buried about 1 ft of fence below the ground to stop predators from digging underneath.

A dozen cats....?! 😳
I was gone for a couple years visiting my grandkids in Salt Lake. When I came back, the chipmunks had taken over and there wasn't going to be any pine nuts for me. So I put an ad at the bulletin board at the Post Office that I wanted cats. Thing is, people don't get rid of their big cats. They want to get rid of a new litter.

I got a picture of a mountain lion on my game camera last winter. But that was when there were a hundred deer on my place. Now that the deer are gone till it snows again, I think the mountain lion left. That's why I think it was the coyotes that ate the cats. I've got some coyote traps, but I don't want to catch a cat. Shooting them isn't as easy as it sounds. For one thing, you have to see them. I had a guy tell me he was a super coyote killer and he had a call that he used and he came here about 10 years ago and used his call all day and never killed a one.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:08 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 10th, 2022, 8:29 pm
Chickens can be a challenge. I had 7 foot chicken wire fence, but this year the birds can fly over it. So I had to put wire across the top. I had ground squirrels that burrowed under the fence and ate the food. I placed big rocks all around the perimeter so the damn squirrels couldn't get in. So far, the coyotes have eaten a dozen cats, but not a chicken, yet.

Never a dull moment.
my daughter does it, so don't ask me how.... but... we clip their wings a little when we have problems with them flying out. We have a 6' fence which keeps the coyotes out. We had a serious squirrel problem that could dig under 1' of fence, but we now have a feral cat at the barn which has taken down the squirrel population. Also, little bubble gum pieces in squirrel holes does better for us than decon poison. They can't digest it and die.

Just to be clear, the squirrels will decimate your feed but they don't bother the chickens.

The worst experience that we had was having about a 3.5" hole in the fence and a ring tail cat squeezed in and killed all of our 20 chickens in one night. Word to the wise. One fox or ring tail cat and you're done. They just kill them for the fun of it.

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

ya clip there wings Fred...lol....that stops them every time from flyin out the coop....

My mom used tp use plain ole sscissors to clip the wings...hold them so they can't move...then spread the wing out and cut the out growth of the feathers off....it looked easy but I've never done it to a chicken...only teenagers and I didn't use scissors......i used car keys...

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

farmerchick wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:18 pm ya clip there wings Fred...lol....that stops them every time from flyin out the coop....

My mom used tp use plain ole sscissors to clip the wings...hold them so they can't move...then spread the wing out and cut the out growth of the feathers off....it looked easy but I've never done it to a chicken...only teenagers and I didn't use scissors......i used car keys...
I actually thought about it but didn't know how. I figured I only had to cut one wing as they can't fly if they only have lift on one side. I feel ok about putting a top on as then the hawks and such can't swoop down and grab a chick. Towards the end of summer I get sick of eggs and just let them hatch.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

The price for me is ... free. 'Cause every time I go over to my neighbor's they say, "do you want some eggs?", "cause they have chickens and so are probably knee deep in eggs.

I don't eat eggs, says I. Eating eggs is like giving the chicken an abortion, says I.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Distilled Water

Post by David13 »

Fred wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:27 pm Water in gallon jugs has been off and on for well over a year. Particularly distilled water. CPAP machines can get plugged if the water has minerals in it. Wet, deep cycle batteries (lead acid), used to store power in solar electric systems, use distilled water to replace water that evaporated or was boiled out by charging.

Man, don't I know that (distilled water).

Some years ago I built a nuclear reactor, a small one, just sufficient to generate electricity for me. The reactor doesn't use distilled water, but instead, heavy water.

Now, heavy water, you want to talk about high prices and limited supply, there's your topic.

So I started producing my own. And basically it's easier for me if I used distilled water. Well, let me try to find some, when I do see it, I take it all, if the price is right.
dc

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

farmerchick wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:53 pm
HVDC wrote: October 10th, 2022, 2:57 pm

Met someone.

We talked.

Vaxxes came up.

To make a vaxxine.

For the Avian Flu.

I can't help but wonder.

What do you think?

Sir FABBO!
Don't really know.

I am outdoors a lot.

Nary a dead bird to see.

Of course.

But.

Jus' Say'n.

Thanks.

Sir H
don't believe me...do your own research......Ai does kill certain bird populations......backyard flocks get sick and die as they are exposed to bird crap from migratory birds who may be carriers.....then the farmer calls the vet...it gets tested and they destroy the whole population.....sick animals should not be processed for food in my opinion......thats why I grow my own. If a commercial flock gets it and say like 20 to 50 percent get sick and die....normal mortality is like 1 percent or lesst per week in commercial flocks....the vet comes...they test the flock and if ai is found, they depopulate the whole farm costing millions of dollars for large facilities.....and then they formaldehyde the facility and let it rest for a up to six months...no birds can be placed.....disinfection stations and foot dips for all workers are part of the biosecurity, wild birds nests are not allowed near or on/inside the facility....its a very costly thing if ai gets in the commercial population.,,.so I don't know....they are just doing it for fun I guess...the farmers...the integrators....the government....farmers won't get paid....the integrators get government crop insurance money and the price goes up for consumers if there isn't enough to go around....could be a conspiracy...but I doubt it......wild populations don't necessarily die from it...just like covid 19... Viruses change and some populations become immune....domestic populations are more susceptible because they are grown for only 6 to seven weeks for chickens and turkeys for 16 to 20 weeks . Plus the virus can spread quickly through the flock of they get it....but again don't believe me....lol.....this has been going on for thirty years or longer....pretty standard procedure for the commercial flocks to be on guard for diseases that can wipe out the flock... ...ai is not new...it's just the awareness of it is now mainstream plus the FDA has regulated what medications can be given to food grade animals and nothing can be done for viruses like ai that I'm aware of....
It's not that I don't believe you.

I do.

It's the cause and effect that I question.

Perhaps domestic birds are more susceptible to dying because of the measures taken.

Just pondering.

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Re: Distilled Water

Post by HVDC »

David13 wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:34 pm
Fred wrote: October 6th, 2022, 9:27 pm Water in gallon jugs has been off and on for well over a year. Particularly distilled water. CPAP machines can get plugged if the water has minerals in it. Wet, deep cycle batteries (lead acid), used to store power in solar electric systems, use distilled water to replace water that evaporated or was boiled out by charging.

Man, don't I know that (distilled water).

Some years ago I built a nuclear reactor, a small one, just sufficient to generate electricity for me. The reactor doesn't use distilled water, but instead, heavy water.

Now, heavy water, you want to talk about high prices and limited supply, there's your topic.

So I started producing my own. And basically it's easier for me if I used distilled water. Well, let me try to find some, when I do see it, I take it all, if the price is right.
dc
Very interesting.

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

farmerchick wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:18 pm ya clip there wings Fred...lol....that stops them every time from flyin out the coop....

:o

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Fred wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:37 pm
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 10th, 2022, 9:25 pm

Never a dull moment.

A dozen cats....?! 😳
I was gone for a couple years visiting my grandkids in Salt Lake. When I came back, the chipmunks had taken over and there wasn't going to be any pine nuts for me. So I put an ad at the bulletin board at the Post Office that I wanted cats. Thing is, people don't get rid of their big cats. They want to get rid of a new litter.

I got a picture of a mountain lion on my game camera last winter. But that was when there were a hundred deer on my place. Now that the deer are gone till it snows again, I think the mountain lion left. That's why I think it was the coyotes that ate the cats. I've got some coyote traps, but I don't want to catch a cat. Shooting them isn't as easy as it sounds. For one thing, you have to see them. I had a guy tell me he was a super coyote killer and he had a call that he used and he came here about 10 years ago and used his call all day and never killed a one.
They smart.

I hates them.

Sir H

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

FrankOne wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:54 pm
If anyone is getting serious about eggs or prepping to feed chickens, it is possible to find corn and wheat for sale by the tote sack which is about 2000lbs. At that quantity, you can buy at close to bushel price which is between 50% to 70% less than buying sacked feed.

25 hens will eat about 1 ton total a year. Buy one ton of each and you'll have two years supply for that number of hens. In most areas it is impossible to feed chickens on free range without large quantities of water for irrigation not to mention winter limitations. Depending on where you buy this feed in quantity, two tons of feed will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $700.00.
Ain't toting that around!

Sir H

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

HVDC wrote: October 11th, 2022, 12:36 am
FrankOne wrote: October 10th, 2022, 7:54 pm

Ain't toting that around!

Sir H
Yeah. I have a car trailer that I could put it on to get it home, but how would I get it off?