Food Shortage Thread

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Jason
Master of Puppets

Re: Food Shortage Thread

Post by Jason »

OCDMOM wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 3:31 pm A few news sites are reporting that there is only 25 days until we run out of Deisel fuel, BUT this happened in 2008. Does anyone know if this is as bad as it sounds?

https://news.yahoo.com/diesel-supply-ju ... 33244.html.
just 25 days supply in the market...and we haven't been down that low since 2008...probably not great but if there is plenty of fuel going into the refineries and they are busy crackin'...probably not that big of a deal...

on the other hand the SPR is supposedly down to a 22 day supply...to me much more concerning as that is the starting product...and once it's gone...it's gone...

another analogy to that is natural gas to fertilizer....a 25 day supply of fertilizer isn't a big deal when there is plenty of natural gas and fertilizer production...but only 22 days of natural gas is an infinitely bigger problem that collapses the manufacturing sector...not just creating a headache for the farmers....

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

The diesel shortage gets worse and we run out by Thanksgiving. Unless Biden wakes up and takes a smart pill. What are the chances of that? The funny thing is that the USA has more oil than any country on earth.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

No diesel to ship food. Sounds like part of their plan.

Went to pick up Greek yogurt for a treat. I have not bought any in months. I was surprised that cost for a quart doubled in the past few months! Now I need to buckle down and find some good recipes

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Maybe I've been reading this forum too much. Last night I dreamt about food shortages and the world was in chaos, but I was calm because of our storage... except for one thing, a specific medical supply specific to a family member.

I woke abruptly with the message still ringing in my ears "get a supply of _____".

Probably just a bad dream, I'll ignore it.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

tribrac wrote: October 31st, 2022, 8:17 am Maybe I've been reading this forum too much. Last night I dreamt about food shortages and the world was in chaos, but I was calm because of our storage... except for one thing, a specific medical supply specific to a family member.

I woke abruptly with the message still ringing in my ears "get a supply of _____".

Probably just a bad dream, I'll ignore it.
You jest? :o If I dreamt that I need to fill my 72-hour kit to the top with chocolate; I would do just that! :D

I am certain that worldly events effect our subconscious - dreams. Yet, some promptings encourage prayer in the conscious realm.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Hundreds of drug shortages. Many that are not on this list. This is the list they admit to.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/ ... efault.cfm

There is a shortage of many opiates. They are not on the list. These are drugs that a person goes into withdrawal without. Many are heavily regulated and it isn't possible to get extras. Oxycodone has been in short supply for months.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Fred wrote: December 21st, 2022, 3:33 pm Hundreds of drug shortages. Many that are not on this list. This is the list they admit to.

There is a shortage of many opiates. They are not on the list. These are drugs that a person goes into withdrawal without. Many are heavily regulated and it isn't possible to get extras. Oxycodone has been in short supply for months.
Medical system doesn't set it's own prices yet has had rising energy costs (from diesel to food to labor)....a bloody nasty vise that keeps squeezing...and without a change in reimbursement by the major insurers starting with Medicare/Medicaid...whole US medical system will implode in the next 12-18 months...currently hemorrhaging cash and struggling to factor rapidly growing receivables at high single to low double digit rates...

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Fred wrote: October 27th, 2022, 9:09 pm The diesel shortage gets worse and we run out by Thanksgiving. Unless Biden wakes up and takes a smart pill. What are the chances of that? The funny thing is that the USA has more oil than any country on earth.
Diesel = Heating Fuel Oil.

Sir H

Refraction75
captain of 100

Post by Refraction75 »

The only shortages I have noticed have been shortages in aluminum, 3M vinyl, hats due to flooding of manufacturing facilities in Pakistan, computer processors chips, AMD and intel.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Jason wrote: December 26th, 2022, 4:22 pm
Fred wrote: December 21st, 2022, 3:33 pm Hundreds of drug shortages. Many that are not on this list. This is the list they admit to.

Medical system doesn't set it's own prices yet has had rising energy costs (from diesel to food to labor)....a bloody nasty vise that keeps squeezing...and without a change in reimbursement by the major insurers starting with Medicare/Medicaid...whole US medical system will implode in the next 12-18 months...currently hemorrhaging cash and struggling to factor rapidly growing receivables at high single to low double digit rates...
I have unique insight into the finances of the health care industry. They are doing better than ever. They have cut a lot of jobs and make more revenue now than 3 years ago. It has been a boon for them. I can't say it's universal but I have a few companies worth of data points.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

harakim wrote: January 12th, 2023, 10:15 pm

I have unique insight into the finances of the health care industry. They are doing better than ever. They have cut a lot of jobs and make more revenue now than 3 years ago. It has been a boon for them. I can't say it's universal but I have a few companies worth of data points.
Any particular areas of healthcare business? Curious...

Watching a number of large HMO's with public financial reporting requirements bleeding cash...

Also all of your pharma service providers are struggling...little if any change in reimbursement while costs are up 20-25% from UPS shipping charges to labor...

Senior services - AL, MC, etc are in same boat...staffing challenges from people who want to work to labor costs...

I'm digging into sniffs and don't know that area very well...

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Momma J wrote: October 17th, 2022, 11:35 am
TheDuke wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:44 am so, I'm looking for some facts as well and having limited luck. I do see here that most things are 50% higher and the sale prices and lower brands seem harder to get. I.e. there was always expensive pasta noodles, at 2x price, but now that is all there is, and usually 12 oz vs. 16 oz in 3/4 filled box.

I followed some links and did some research that says we're headed for massive crop failures and herds are shrunken. Then I looked at the official websites and see all is well (maybe down 8%). But, then I hear what we see isn't real because we're buying down end of last years surplus and the shock is yet to come, that futures and current prices are inverted, etc... ? But, I cannot really find anything I trust on either side. Like many the conspiracy sounds eerie and cool, but is it real? I see photos of dead corn, drought maps, hear of lack of fertilizer, etc... but where I drive and hunt I see drought, but have so every few la nina years anyway? anybody got any good facts one way or the other? How about those in farmland seeing what is going on around them across the nation?
The only thing that grabbed my attention (besides what you have mentioned in the stores) was the sign in the feed store asking people to get the hay orders in quickly because the local farmers had very little hay available this year.

It is also tougher to find chicks. I think this might be because more people are deciding to try their hand at raising chickens.
We lived on a hobby farm in the midwest for a few years and raised chickens, gardens, bees and two pigs (Too sad - Can't understand it, we "named" them Hammie and Bacon and it was still way too hard in the end:) I didn't realize pigs had such personalities - I felt as though I had betrayed them) Anyway, we now live in ID in a suburb (dread of all dreads), but I found it funny how a lot of folks decided to try their hands at chickens during the last couple of years only to give it up after a very short run - I've never seen SO many "free" roosters on Craigslist! They all want the eggs, but no one wants the hard job of dispatching extra roos.

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Momma J wrote: October 31st, 2022, 7:07 am No diesel to ship food. Sounds like part of their plan.

Went to pick up Greek yogurt for a treat. I have not bought any in months. I was surprised that cost for a quart doubled in the past few months! Now I need to buckle down and find some good recipes
It's been some time, but I've made some tasty yogurt from the church powdered milk. You could try that:)

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

LostCreekAcres wrote: January 15th, 2023, 4:03 pm
TheDuke wrote: October 17th, 2022, 10:44 am so, I'm looking for some facts as well and having limited luck. I do see here that most things are 50% higher and the sale prices and lower brands seem harder to get. I.e. there was always expensive pasta noodles, at 2x price, but now that is all there is, and usually 12 oz vs. 16 oz in 3/4 filled box.

I followed some links and did some research that says we're headed for massive crop failures and herds are shrunken. Then I looked at the official websites and see all is well (maybe down 8%). But, then I hear what we see isn't real because we're buying down end of last years surplus and the shock is yet to come, that futures and current prices are inverted, etc... ? But, I cannot really find anything I trust on either side. Like many the conspiracy sounds eerie and cool, but is it real? I see photos of dead corn, drought maps, hear of lack of fertilizer, etc... but where I drive and hunt I see drought, but have so every few la nina years anyway? anybody got any good facts one way or the other? How about those in farmland seeing what is going on around them across the nation?
The only thing that grabbed my attention (besides what you have mentioned in the stores) was the sign in the feed store asking people to get the hay orders in quickly because the local farmers had very little hay available this year.

It is also tougher to find chicks. I think this might be because more people are deciding to try their hand at raising chickens.
We lived on a hobby farm in the midwest for a few years and raised chickens, gardens, bees and two pigs (Too sad - Can't understand it, we "named" them Hammie and Bacon and it was still way too hard in the end:) I didn't realize pigs had such personalities - I felt as though I had betrayed them) Anyway, we now live in ID in a suburb (dread of all dreads), but I found it funny how a lot of folks decided to try their hands at chickens during the last couple of years only to give it up after a very short run - I've never seen SO many "free" roosters on Craigslist! They all want the eggs, but no one wants the hard job of dispatching extra roos.
This is funny and sad. My hubby asked if I knew how to kill and clean a chicken. For me the toughest part is plucking. Not hard so much as getting the stench erased from my brain. As for the pigs. I can totally relate. It is tough to not become attached to farm animals, especially when you only have a few. :(

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Momma J wrote: January 16th, 2023, 5:06 am

This is funny and sad. My hubby asked if I knew how to kill and clean a chicken. For me the toughest part is plucking. Not hard so much as getting the stench erased from my brain. As for the pigs. I can totally relate. It is tough to not become attached to farm animals, especially when you only have a few. :(
I'm with you.

Plucking sucks.

I usually just skin them.

Sir H

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

not necessarily a food shortage, but has anyone else noticed crappy product - like burned rice krispies? or too sugary raisin bran? we have.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Jason wrote: January 15th, 2023, 12:36 pm

Watching a number of large HMO's with public financial reporting requirements bleeding cash...

Also all of your pharma service providers are struggling...little if any change in reimbursement while costs are up 20-25% from UPS shipping charges to labor...

Senior services - AL, MC, etc are in same boat...staffing challenges from people who want to work to labor costs...

Primary care facilities like hospitals and insurance

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

There appeared to be an herbal tea shortage in Utah in December. The other day bread was 100% stocked for the first time in several years. It was weird that it was weird.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Seems that the medical industry want children to get sick and die. Massive shortage of children meds.

LostCreekAcres
captain of 100

Post by LostCreekAcres »

Fred wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:36 pm

Seems that the medical industry want children to get sick and die. Massive shortage of children meds.
Yes... Here in Idaho, daughter was searching for medicine for their toddler, pain reliever, OTC, none. She went to several locations. Wish she would have told me sooner, because I have a small stock. Ugh.

LadyT
captain of 100

Post by LadyT »

My roosters were bantam and not worth the work to butcher with so little meat. I found a guy who gets roosters and old layers for dog food. I don't mind giving them to him. I would rather them.end up food for a dog than nothing.

BigT
captain of 100

Post by BigT »

Egg shortages now, everywhere in Utah County. We usually get the brown ones from Costco that have been $6/2 dozen for a year or two. Haven’t seen them in a week. They do have 2 dozen white eggs for $6.50. Both Sams and Costco had no eggs at for several days last week and this past weekend. $6/dozen at Smiths. $7.50 for 18.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Fred wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:36 pm

Lots of supply chain issues…from antibiotics to OTCs

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

This lady has some interesting videos. She is a prepper. Today's video she went to Walmart. She walks around and discusses current prices versus 50% less a month or two ago.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

On Fridays my wife often gets a rotisserie chicken for dinner. then a make a soup after a meal (when just two of us) of chicken and another of chicken sandwiches). Lately, however, I've seen that Safeway has replaced the chicken with what appears to be a pigeon? Now we get one meal and pigeon soup! Ha, down sizing.