Parsha - Jewish and LDS Dialogue

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
AkalAish
captain of 100

Parsha - Jewish and LDS Dialogue

Post by AkalAish »

Shalom My Friends,

I pray this week finds you all exceedingly blessed and that the the Holy One gives shalom to your hearts and minds. It is a glorious time to be alive, is it not?

I had an idea this afternoon...

I would like to share with you a synopsis of the parsha each week, and, in turn, solicit your interpretations/thoughts/insights/questions.

This is meant to be an exercise in mutual respect and the sharing of knowledge and experience.

But, first...to what do I refer when I speak of the parsha?

The Sefer Torah (Torah scroll) is the most important item that we have in the synagogue. For thousands of years, Jewish people in synagogues around the world have read a portion of the Torah each week, called the parsha. The five books of Moses are divided into fifty-four portions called parshiot (plural of parsha). At least one parsha is read weekly throughout the year, although some weeks have two parshiot in order to make it fit the year correctly. The idea is to read through the entire Torah each year. As the Hebrew calendar is a lunar calendar, the parshiot are not read on the same weeks each year according to the Gregorian calendar, but they are fairly close.

There are also corresponding Haftorah portions (the rest of the Hebrew bible) that are read in most synagogues. They are meant to compliment and support the Torah portion.

Again, I would like to share a synopsis of the Torah portion each week throughout the year, and then invite all of you to share your thoughts and insights as you understand it through the lens of your own LDS (or other) understanding. I would love to answer any questions you may have from a rabbinical stand point as well.

I do so enjoy being here and hope that we will be edified by this experience.

You may, in fact, hate this thread or choose to ignore it, and that is certainly ok. For me, it is a mitzvah.

In the words of the L-rd, through His servant Isaiah...

Come, now and let us reason together.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Parsha - Jewish and LDS Dialogue

Post by Lizzy60 »

Yes, I would enjoy participating in this.

Will you be giving us a schedule of what we will study each week?
Edit - you just posted it.😀
Last edited by Lizzy60 on October 3rd, 2022, 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

The parsha for this week:

Ha'azinu
"Listen"

Torah - D'varim (Deuteronomy) 32:1-32:52
Haftarah - Shmuel Bet (2 Samuel) 22:1-51

Synopsis -

The Hebrew word Ha'azinu (הַאֲזִינוּ‎) literally means "give ear." In essence, it is telling us, "Listen to this." This beautiful portion of Torah is an lyrical poem. It warns the Israelites of their future betrayal of G-d's covenant with His people. It tells of the disastrous consequences that this disloyalty will entail if the ordinances, statutes, and commandments are not followed.

It begins with an invocation of heaven and earth as witnesses against Israel when death has come to Moses.

Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.

It then moves through the history of the Almighty's relationship with the Children of Israel, and of Israel's consistent lack of gratitude and loyalty in the face of G-d's grace and His saving acts. The poem declares that G-d will punish Israel for her rebelliousness, but He will limit the severity of that punishment and ultimately turn Divine retribution against the enemies of Israel.

Ultimately, we are told, G-d will deliver a repentant Israel, and Israel will sing in celebration of that eventual redemption and salvation.

Moses concludes, after the end of the poem, that the people must remain devoted to Torah, since "For it is not a vain thing for you; because it is your life."

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:46 pm Yes, I would enjoy participating in this.

Will you be giving us a schedule of what we will study each week?
Edit - you just posted it.😀
Thank you for that wonderful reminder. The Torah portion I posted above is for:

Saturday, October 8, 2022 · 13 Tishrei
Hebrew year 5783

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

I have also chosen to quote the text of the Torah using the KJV, as I know (believe?) it is the preferred translation for LDS people.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

AkalAish wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:03 pm I have also chosen to quote the text of the Torah using the KJV, as I know (believe?) it is the preferred translation for LDS people.
Yes, that is what LDS use.

However, I will also be reading the New JPS Translation along with the JPS Commentaries.
This is awesome!

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:15 pm
AkalAish wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:03 pm I have also chosen to quote the text of the Torah using the KJV, as I know (believe?) it is the preferred translation for LDS people.

However, I will also be reading the New JPS Translation along with the JPS Commentaries.
This is awesome!
Pssssst....do not tell anyone, but the translators for the JPS relied heavily on the KJV. :geek: ;)

stormcloak
captain of 100

Post by stormcloak »

Interesting project. I might ask some questions about certain rabbinical interpretations or beliefs.

You're correct, KJV is the most widely used version amongst us. But—just FYI—LDS people sometimes also reference the JST (Joseph Smith Translation), which was Joseph Smith's attempt to clarify or expand upon certain passages in the Bible (although he also relied on others' commentaries such as Adam Clarke's). Many people consider it inspired and revelatory, although it was never fully canonized nor completed.

You can find the JST online here: http://centerplace.org/hs/iv2kjv/

Or here: https://archive.org/details/josephsmithsnewt00smit

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

stormcloak wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:47 pm
Interesting project. I might ask some questions about certain rabbinical interpretations or beliefs.

You're correct, KJV is the most widely used version amongst us. But—just FYI—LDS people sometimes also reference the JST (Joseph Smith Translation), which was Joseph Smith's attempt to clarify or expand upon certain passages in the Bible (although he also relied on others' commentaries such as Adam Clarke's). Many people consider it inspired and revelatory, although it was never fully canonized nor completed.

You can find the JST online here: http://centerplace.org/hs/iv2kjv/

Or here: https://archive.org/details/josephsmithsnewt00smit
Thank you, friend, I look forward to it.

AkalAish
captain of 100

Post by AkalAish »

Lizzy60 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:15 pm

This is awesome!
I anticipate a great discussion. All of you seem so affable.