How do you know to prepare for buggy out or hunkering down?

For discussion related to emergency preparedness, survival, self-sufficiency, food and water storage, guns, heat, light, building, gardening, etc.
Adayala
Hi, I'm new.

How do you know to prepare for buggy out or hunkering down?

Post by Adayala »

Im trying to ponder how to prep. I dont know to invest in communication and bug out equipment or concentrate on staying home? How do you decide? Eventually in bible we will travel to a place for safety and lds have said but its on mind. Of course i could die before all that but maybe i can help my family be prepared. I also dont own my home(renting) so im thinking bug out be best bet only if i know where im going. Any thoughts appreciated. Im taking this serious and want to prepare correctly.
Money? Do we save cash or will cash be pointless and stock up on barter items like toiletries and ammo etc?

creator
(of the Forum)

Re: How do you know to prepare for buggy out or hunkering down?

Post by creator »

Be prepared for various situations, especially for the most likely scenarios that might play out in your area. But I would also recommend against going to the extreme with such preparations. Keep in mind that it's possible nothing will happen in your lifetime that would necessitate you to "buggy out or hunkering down". Consider, what kind of preparations would you still make if you knew that such situations might never arise.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Go where you are called.

If you feel it important to prepare to leave, make those preparations.

If you feel impressed to hunker down, do that.

And be willing to change course.

Lately I have felt impressed to learn about first aid and helping others with medical stuff. This is a real different arena for me, I don't like doctors and such so I have always stayed away. Now it feels like I should prepare...so I will.

I think it is important, especially in these times to keep your preparations close and not tell or expect others to feel the urgency you might feel.

Some will wake early, some will wake late, take care of what you are impressed to do now.

Fred
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fred »

Adayala wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm Im trying to ponder how to prep. I dont know to invest in communication and bug out equipment or concentrate on staying home? How do you decide? Eventually in bible we will travel to a place for safety and lds have said but its on mind. Of course i could die before all that but maybe i can help my family be prepared. I also dont own my home(renting) so im thinking bug out be best bet only if i know where im going. Any thoughts appreciated. Im taking this serious and want to prepare correctly.
Money? Do we save cash or will cash be pointless and stock up on barter items like toiletries and ammo etc?
Land is cheap here. https://mwranches.com/available-properties/ They finance anyone. If you don't pay, they will just confiscate whatever you put on the property and sell it to someone else for more. I know people that put 0 down. They take down payments of things other than cash.

It is risky not to own your own land. Unless you are a nomad. Maybe your bed has wheels. Or feet. If you live on a horse, at least you own it. Apartments are hard to defend. Just think, if your ancestors has homesteaded a place, you would be a millionaire.

I went to Mt. Pleasant, Utah yesterday and noticed some farms of several hundred acres. Some places were thousands of acres. They aren't making any more land. Better get some. Live in a camper while you build a place. One day, I wondered how cheap I could eat. I had half a dozen eggs for breakfast (free). Then for lunch I shredded a potato and fried it (5 cents). I had fish for dinner from the lake. I haven't had a utility bill for 20 years.

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

I sold our house and traveled 8000 miles, looking for the right place. We were looking for a place that was better for raising kids, where we could fine 'like-minded people'. At the end of our travels, we came to Heber. We found what we were looking for. Many people had been gathering here,,, LDS and non-LDS. Some had seen 'the right place' in vision before they had driven into the valley. Some knew why they were supposed to be here but many didn't know.
The Holy Ghost, when experienced, is pure intelligence. Pure intelligence is something I have not experienced too often. When I have experienced it, it didn't seem like what I thought it would be. It is a perfect knowing, and it is the sense of, "it couldn't be any other way".
Although I may not have that experience often, bits of intelligence come through and can be connected together... kind of a quantum universe thing. So, logic, and intuition come together and if I don't make the mistake of thinking one is superior to the other, I can connect the dots.
I built an earthquake-proof house, that is also fire and bullet resistant. I drove hundreds of miles on the surrounding forest roads and I can get to various places without traveling on the highways. This might come in handy because one of the places of safety is southern Utah.
Have some good friends. When you have a really good friend, that is the beginning of Zion.
Surviving is not having a lot. It is making the best of what you have, using that intelligently and being grateful. Fear serves no useful purpose. Faith is what connects you with protection. Jesus is not stingy with His love and protection.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

You have to go with the Spirit. If we were all told to do the same thing at the same time, it'd be pretty crowded and a traffic jam.

That was one of many of the early saints problems. They all moved to Missouri at once, even though the Lord warned them not to. It freaked the local people out. Also, they were quite destitute.

They should have listened to the Lord.

Right now I am being told to eat up my food storage. I don't know why. Maybe I am moving and I don't know it? It is not a common answer to preparing right now, but I trust God.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

HeberC wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm This might come in handy because one of the places of safety is southern Utah.
Curious, what makes you say this?

I've felt a strong pull to a couple of areas specifically in southern/central Utah, as potential homestead/ranching property. Just wondering to what you were referring to by this statement. Thanks.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

You need to do a self analysis. Come to terms with your own strengths and weaknesses. We are probably at or close to the point when it's too late to try and cultivate skills if you don't already have them. I am a country boy and I feel my best odds for survival if I have to tuck and run, are surviving in the mountains. Knowing my own skills an strengths, that is my best option. Force me to hunker down in an urban area, and I will likely be dead within a week. It's isn't too late to stockpile food storage and supplies, but inflation is making it more difficult. Knowing when to bug in vs bug out is a complicated decision and is based on many different variables. Since this is a religious based page in the first place, my best advice is to trust the Spirit to guide you in those critical decisions. Pray always.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

Dusty Wanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 5:24 pm
HeberC wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:59 pm This might come in handy because one of the places of safety is southern Utah.

I've felt a strong pull to a couple of areas specifically in southern/central Utah, as potential homestead/ranching property. Just wondering to what you were referring to by this statement. Thanks.
Search for "new valley of the sun" and "suspicious observers".

HeberC
captain of 100

Post by HeberC »

I had a vision. There were red rock columns, willow trees and a river. I was riding a horse southward on the west bank of a river. A group of us had bought land jointly but we owned our own individual homesites. It is an area that was sacred to the ancients where we would be safe in the Last Days. The literal element of the dream was quite clear. The metaphorical element is that kanab is the anasazi word for willow. I am really not sure about Anasazi sacred sites. When I first experienced this, I thought that it was a missed opportunity, since I had allowed so much time to elapse before putting some of the pieces together, but the Lord isn't at all time-fixated.
I did all I could do about covering that area by driving and hiking. I have more faith, now, and I am more confident that this is only one possibility that the Lord has for me. Maybe someone reading this will be inspired, not by me, of course, but by the Lord. He has all kinds of fun Ideas for us.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Adayala wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm Im trying to ponder how to prep. I don't know to invest in communication and bug out equipment or concentrate on staying home? How do you decide? Eventually in bible we will travel to a place for safety and lds have said but its on mind. Of course i could die before all that but maybe i can help my family be prepared. I also don't own my home(renting) so I'm thinking bug out be best bet only if i know where im going. Any thoughts appreciated. I'm taking this serious and want to prepare correctly.
The other answers are right. You should pray about it, but you also need to act on your intuition.

I know that's pretty unsatisfying so I'll give you some seed thoughts and you can see if they sprout for you.
1. You are going to have to move. It's hard to imagine anyone wondering if they're in the right place actually being in a place so right they don't ever have to move.
2. Unless you have a clear plan of where to go, you will stay where you're at for at least a while. Even if you have a clear plan, you may not know when you need to go and it's going to be hard to jump into the unknown. So unless you have a destination with a great setup with neighbors you can trust somewhere else, you're going to be staying where you're at for part of the crisis. If you find yourself feeling trapped, I would try and break yourself out of the chaos and think "What if I had to leave?" or "What if there were somewhere better, what would it look like and how would I recognize it?" Also, try and find neighbors you can trust and perhaps trust them a little more than you're comfortable with, but never jeopardize your exit strategy.
3. If you are a trustworthy person, you will be able to find a community after some time has gone by. In order to be able to live in a stable community, you will need to trust your neighbors as well. Every prepper is looking or has looked for a community/MAG. The scary ones look specifically for skills. The smart ones realize that people can learn and look for personality, specifically trustworthiness.
4. Stuff works out. I have been guided in my life. But you do have to act. Without action, you're not going to learn. I'm not saying you have to take any specific action, but you should take action.
5. You need money to pay rent. It's probably as likely or more likely that you'll lose your job in the upcoming financial crisis before anything happens that would erase the debt system (if that happens at all). There is a lot of talk about inflation, but it's only the first stage. Thomas Jefferson said "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." It sure looks like that's what they're going for.

The most important thing is to have faith over fear. Prudence and fear are both about solving future insecurity. However, fear makes you live through that insecurity twice: once when it happens and once when you were thinking about it.
I would start by buying the book Wild Wisdom of Weeds. Once you realize that nature is full of food, it's not as scary. However, it will take time to develop the skills to get at that food and that book also doesn't hit anything high calorie, so while you're reading, you should start a food storage (probably 90 days). That will get you through the period where you are staying put. Once you have that security, you will think a little more clearly and then you can figure out what to do next. But don't trust me as much as you trust yourself. If you have any specific questions, the forum has answers.

Momma J
captain of 1,000

Post by Momma J »

harakim wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 10:55 pm

The other answers are right. You should pray about it, but you also need to act on your intuition.

I have always felt that our intuition is guided by THG.

We have made plans for both bug-out and hunker down. Ultimately we would prefer to bug out to our country cottage. If we are trapped in the city for a span, we are prepared (as well as could be) for that as well.

None of our prepping will be effective without the the Lord's graces... So our biggest prep is spiritual. ;)

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Fred wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 1:11 pm
Adayala wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:05 pm Im trying to ponder how to prep. I dont know to invest in communication and bug out equipment or concentrate on staying home? How do you decide? Eventually in bible we will travel to a place for safety and lds have said but its on mind. Of course i could die before all that but maybe i can help my family be prepared. I also dont own my home(renting) so im thinking bug out be best bet only if i know where im going. Any thoughts appreciated. Im taking this serious and want to prepare correctly.
Land is cheap here. https://mwranches.com/available-properties/ They finance anyone. If you don't pay, they will just confiscate whatever you put on the property and sell it to someone else for more. I know people that put 0 down. They take down payments of things other than cash.

It is risky not to own your own land. Unless you are a nomad. Maybe your bed has wheels. Or feet. If you live on a horse, at least you own it. Apartments are hard to defend. Just think, if your ancestors has homesteaded a place, you would be a millionaire.

I went to Mt. Pleasant, Utah yesterday and noticed some farms of several hundred acres. Some places were thousands of acres. They aren't making any more land. Better get some. Live in a camper while you build a place. One day, I wondered how cheap I could eat. I had half a dozen eggs for breakfast (free). Then for lunch I shredded a potato and fried it (5 cents). I had fish for dinner from the lake. I haven't had a utility bill for 20 years.
If I wasn't getting prop out by family is SE Kansas corner, I'd be awfully tempted to get out to your neck of the woods.

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

blitzinstripes wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 5:56 pm
Dusty Wanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 5:24 pm

Search for "new valley of the sun" and "suspicious observers".
Ahh, nice, blitzinstripes. Very familiar with both... been following that stuff for years. ;-)

Dusty Wanderer
captain of 1,000

Post by Dusty Wanderer »

HeberC wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:44 pm I had a vision. There were red rock columns, willow trees and a river. I was riding a horse southward on the west bank of a river. A group of us had bought land jointly but we owned our own individual homesites. It is an area that was sacred to the ancients where we would be safe in the Last Days. The literal element of the dream was quite clear. The metaphorical element is that kanab is the anasazi word for willow. I am really not sure about Anasazi sacred sites. When I first experienced this, I thought that it was a missed opportunity, since I had allowed so much time to elapse before putting some of the pieces together, but the Lord isn't at all time-fixated.
I did all I could do about covering that area by driving and hiking. I have more faith, now, and I am more confident that this is only one possibility that the Lord has for me. Maybe someone reading this will be inspired, not by me, of course, but by the Lord. He has all kinds of fun Ideas for us.
Thanks for sharing this, HeberC. I have also spent a lot of time in that region. I have some family ties in Panguitch so it's not hard finding an excuse to get down there. I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on a property just above Kanab (a little north of Orderville), but chickened out. Still looking... if you don't mind me PM'ing you, perhaps we could exchange some thoughts on different related areas.