GC Oct 2022: Pres Eyring "Qualify to See HF and Jesus"...SMH!

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
randyps
captain of 100

GC Oct 2022: Pres Eyring "Qualify to See HF and Jesus"...SMH!

Post by randyps »

Life long mormon but inactive for the past 7 yrs. My problem is the culture and social aspect of mormonism, love the doctrine (BOM,D&C) but have grown to dislike church service and the pressure of accepting callings to "qualify" for our salvation and checking all the boxes to be a "worthy" disciple :(

The past two months brought drastic changes in my life to where I can see the hand of God guiding me back into the fold, the church. Changes that I would never thought nor choose to happen but under dire circumstances just happened.

Today in trying to set a better example for my family (kids and wife are no longer mormon) and invite the spirit in our home I woke up early and tuned into general conference. We caught president Eyring on the podium as he opens his talk by saying..

"..I encourage you to continue striving to qualify to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ..."

Oh Brother!! My wife who was sympathetic at my attempts to bring religion into the house this sabbath day got up and walked out.

Why do our leaders not be more specific and say that this is in the order of the celestial kingdom? It would be nice of him to say something like

"..Heaven is available for everyone, God and Jesus is there for you and I. For those striving for the highest of Gods Kingdom, the celestial glory, I encourage you to continue striving to qualify for that glory where Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will be happily waiting."

---------------------

...an interesting thing I found last week while listening to random Near death experiences on youtube was this fellow mentioning a 3rd heaven. He is not mormon but he said "a 3rd heaven where dark forces cant enter, nor can we enter unless we live an acceptable life here on earth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaU8tNzMp-I
starts from 25:00 - 27:00

Valheim
captain of 50

Re: GC Oct 2022: Pres Eyring "Qualify to See HF and Jesus"...SMH!

Post by Valheim »

The leadership, like all other prophets throughout history tells us what to do, its up to us to decide to follow. Your wifes action of leaving the room seems very strange to me

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Stay with it, brother. I’ve been feeling the same. Open your mouth at church and say what’s in your heart. I’ve had great experiences lately.

In Sunday school, we’ve been going through Isaiah. This is what the first heading of the lesson says in the Come, Follow Me manual for the week of Sept 26-October 2:

“The future is bright for the Lord’s people”

My heart sunk a bit. Accurate, I guess, but very misleading. This was the only Sunday in the past 2 months, or so, since I’ve been going back to church, that I didn’t say anything. I’m hoping there will be one more lesson on Isaiah to wrap it up. But I did write this down in my journal:

What I learned from Isaiah:

We know there is more scripture to come forth--currently sealed (29:11-12; 1NE14:26), more covenants that will be established (42:6; 49:8; 55:3), and even new servants identified yet to come forth leading up to the Millennium (D&C 113; root of Jesse and rod from the stem of Jesse regarding Isaiah 11). So, although we find ourselves as the covenant people of the Lord, we may find ourselves in a sobering scenario as the ancient Jews who found it very difficult to accept things outside their accepted dogma (new wine into old bottles). In the end, there will only be two churches. We will have the opportunity to prove ourselves. And our only hope, just as it was for the ancient Jews, is to be anchored in Christ and humble ourselves to the dust.

Adayala
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Adayala »

I was watching with my wife and when i heard this i was secretly taken back by the words used. My wife wasnt paying attention but then i thought. I know what he meant but people of other faiths would find this as a reason to criticize our beliefs and encourage their own.
Then i thought . There are no words to convey that the gospel has to be lived to qualify us to come home. Home in the celestial kingdom. We all will have a home but a home with Jesus and heavenly father requires obedience to ordinances and covenants. The holy ghost help me unscramble his words. Thats why holy ghost is so important.
To those who are offended is cause they chose other things and their own desires not the Lords. If lord says we have to be baptized well thats it. We have to but to those who teach other wise is false doctrine but people still believe they only need faith. Nothing more. Well they still have a home but wont be a home like those who faithfully follow his plan. She walked out if room cause she was offended that being worthy requires obedience and faith which she clearly has issues with. But just stay cool and keep working. She is charge of herself. Not you.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

randyps wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:31 am Life long mormon but inactive for the past 7 yrs. My problem is the culture and social aspect of mormonism, love the doctrine (BOM,D&C) but have grown to dislike church service and the pressure of accepting callings to "qualify" for our salvation and checking all the boxes to be a "worthy" disciple :(

The past two months brought drastic changes in my life to where I can see the hand of God guiding me back into the fold, the church. Changes that I would never thought nor choose to happen but under dire circumstances just happened.

Today in trying to set a better example for my family (kids and wife are no longer mormon) and invite the spirit in our home I woke up early and tuned into general conference. We caught president Eyring on the podium as he opens his talk by saying..

"..I encourage you to continue striving to qualify to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ..."

Oh Brother!! My wife who was sympathetic at my attempts to bring religion into the house this sabbath day got up and walked out.

Why do our leaders not be more specific and say that this is in the order of the celestial kingdom? It would be nice of him to say something like

"..Heaven is available for everyone, God and Jesus is there for you and I. For those striving for the highest of Gods Kingdom, the celestial glory, I encourage you to continue striving to qualify for that glory where Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will be happily waiting."

---------------------

...an interesting thing I found last week while listening to random Near death experiences on youtube was this fellow mentioning a 3rd heaven. He is not mormon but he said "a 3rd heaven where dark forces cant enter, nor can we enter unless we live an acceptable life here on earth"

That phrasing drives me nuts as well. You're not alone hermano. You know what truth is. Stick with it, honor it, uphold it. The great power of the Redeemer is the truest thing we can know in this mortal probation. Stay true to Him.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

A user here named PJBrownie made an excellent write up on the modern remnant movement occurring in Mormonism, with a large section of that movement comprising of Denver Snuffer and his followers. A big message of Denver is remembering that Joseph did teach one could be ministered to by Christ while in the flesh. This is major remnant doctrine. PJ Brownie’s essay pointed out that once Denver and his group got deeper into the concept of a covenant being offered right now, then the LDS church started their big “covenant path” messaging

Now the LDS church wants to return to a second comforter-lite message? After removing the second comforter from the topical guide and sending general authorities to Idaho and telling the members there to be wary of the idea of seeing God while in the flesh?
Last edited by BuriedTartaria on October 3rd, 2022, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

CuriousThinker
captain of 1,000

Post by CuriousThinker »

BuriedTartaria wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:12 am A user here named PJBrownie made an excellent write up on the modern remnant movement occurring in Mormonism, with a big section of that movement comprising of Denver Snuffer and his followers. A big message of Denver is remembering that Joseph did teach one could be ministered to by Christ while in the flesh. This is big remnant doctrine. PJ Brownie’s essay pointed out that once Denver and his group got deeper into the concept of a covenant being offered right now, then the LDS church started their big “covenant path” messaging

Now the LDS church wants to return to a second comforter-lite message? After removing the second comforter from the topical guide and sending general authorities to Idaho and telling the members there to be wary of the idea of seeing God while in the flesh?
Can you share the link?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I don't leave the room but I cringe everytime I hear covenant path.

Also cringe a little when a speaker refers to President Nelson as "Our Beloved President Russell M. Nelson" as if "our beloved" is part of the title now and required as much as it is required to say the M.

And all of it spoken in tones and style that suggests the speaker is a kindergarten teacher talking to five year olds.

Outsiders got to think we are so weird.

Yep, I know my ego is involved, and maybe a wild spirit. I shouldn't let those things distract me from otherwise good messages. But they do, it is a real thing for me.
Last edited by tribrac on October 3rd, 2022, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

mudflap
captain of 1,000

Post by mudflap »

randyps wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:31 am Life long mormon but inactive for the past 7 yrs. My problem is the culture and social aspect of mormonism, love the doctrine (BOM,D&C) but have grown to dislike church service and the pressure of accepting callings to "qualify" for our salvation and checking all the boxes to be a "worthy" disciple :(

---------------------

oh how I hear you, randyps.

The second talk on Sunday morning by Sister J. Annette Dennis really spoke to me. We should be less judgmental, and less "check-box-y" and more loving and more Christlike. The cliquey-non-scriptural phrase "Covenant path" is more check-box-y and cringey than ever, and I don't see "the Grace of Christ" anywhere on the covenant path list. Yet the Grace of Christ is how we are saved, after all we can do(1). So backwards. Anytime it comes up in a discussion, I gently (or not so gently as the occasion permits) refute the idea that the covenant path is what "saves" us. It's like israelites focusing more on the animal sacrifice itself rather than what it represented.

(1) Mormons still like to think they can save themselves, and with the "Covenant Path" movement, we are focusing on "after all we can do" (saving ourselves) more than ever instead of the Grace of Christ. I know Pres. Nelson means well, but most members are drones, and if you let them, they will dumb it all down to something they can just check off, rather than doing the hard work of really becoming more Christ-like and loving their neighbor. I know someone who physically cannot commit to a calling that requires them to follow a schedule, due to having "non-24", which is a sleep schedule disorder where the person's sleep changes almost weekly - sometimes they go to bed at 10 pm, sometimes 2 am, sometimes 6 am, sometimes 2 pm in the afternoon is their body's "bedtime". There is no cure, and nobody knows what causes it for sure. Drugs don't help, as they just keep the person tired all the time.

Imagine my chagrin when I heard the 2nd counsellor issue a calling to be the activity days person for the 11 yr olds to this person, and then berate the person when she said she didn't think she could do it. "We're doing this to help you, Sis. X!" the counselor berated. Yup. everyone NEEDS a calling, don't they? That's where "the covenant path" mentality leads to in practice.

If we were all about loving each other as Christ loved us, I think that conversation would have taken a different path - a more supportive path. A "mourn with those who mourn" because they can't go to bed at night like everyone else. Imagine how the family deals with this - picking kids up from school, mealtimes, parent teacher conferences, scheduling dr appointments while wondering if you'll even be awake at that point 6 weeks from now.

I'm glad you tuned in, I'm sorry your family is not there with you. I haven't, myself, watched all of conference yet, still working my way through the recordings, but nothing except this talk stands out yet.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

tribrac wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:27 am I don't leave the room but I cringe everytime I hear covenant path.

Also cringe a little when a speaker refers to President Nelson as "Our Beloved President Russell M. Nelson" as if "our beloved" is part of the title and required as much as it is required to say the M.

It feels like the word 'beloved' should be a word that's used only when describing our Savior.
We can be a pretty idolatrous people.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

mudflap wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:34 am

---------------------

oh how I hear you, randyps.

The second talk on Sunday morning by Sister J. Annette Dennis really spoke to me. We should be less judgmental, and less "check-box-y" and more loving and more Christlike. The cliquey-non-scriptural phrase "Covenant path" is more check-box-y and cringey than ever, and I don't see "the Grace of Christ" anywhere on the covenant path list. Yet the Grace of Christ is how we are saved, after all we can do(1). So backwards. Anytime it comes up in a discussion, I gently (or not so gently as the occasion permits) refute the idea that the covenant path is what "saves" us. It's like israelites focusing more on the animal sacrifice itself rather than what it represented.

(1) Mormons still like to think they can save themselves, and with the "Covenant Path" movement, we are focusing on "after all we can do" (saving ourselves) more than ever instead of the Grace of Christ. I know Pres. Nelson means well, but most members are drones, and if you let them, they will dumb it all down to something they can just check off, rather than doing the hard work of really becoming more Christ-like and loving their neighbor. I know someone who physically cannot commit to a calling that requires them to follow a schedule, due to having "non-24", which is a sleep schedule disorder where the person's sleep changes almost weekly - sometimes they go to bed at 10 pm, sometimes 2 am, sometimes 6 am, sometimes 2 pm in the afternoon is their body's "bedtime". There is no cure, and nobody knows what causes it for sure. Drugs don't help, as they just keep the person tired all the time.

Imagine my chagrin when I heard the 2nd counsellor issue a calling to be the activity days person for the 11 yr olds to this person, and then berate the person when she said she didn't think she could do it. "We're doing this to help you, Sis. X!" the counselor berated. Yup. everyone NEEDS a calling, don't they? That's where "the covenant path" mentality leads to in practice.

If we were all about loving each other as Christ loved us, I think that conversation would have taken a different path - a more supportive path. A "mourn with those who mourn" because they can't go to bed at night like everyone else. Imagine how the family deals with this - picking kids up from school, mealtimes, parent teacher conferences, scheduling dr appointments while wondering if you'll even be awake at that point 6 weeks from now.

I'm glad you tuned in, I'm sorry your family is not there with you. I haven't, myself, watched all of conference yet, still working my way through the recordings, but nothing except this talk stands out yet.
She was a great talk. There were a couple others that really jumped out at me. I think Nelson's talk at end of Sunday morning session was great as well. The talk referencing the wedding garment that Bednar gave was also a really good one. 👍

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Christ like?

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

randyps wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:31 am "..I encourage you to continue striving to qualify to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ..."

Good for your wife! She recognizes and apparently doesn't want to stick around for gaslighting.

p8riot
captain of 100

Post by p8riot »

tribrac wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 8:27 am I don't leave the room but I cringe everytime I hear covenant path.

Also cringe a little when a speaker refers to President Nelson as "Our Beloved President Russell M. Nelson" as if "our beloved" is part of the title now and required as much as it is required to say the M.

And all of it spoken in tones and style that suggests the speaker is a kindergarten teacher talking to five year olds.

Yep, I know my ego is involved, and maybe a wild spirit. I shouldn't let those things distract me from otherwise good messages. But they do, it is a real thing for me.
Yeah, it seemed like every speaker had to praise and quote Nelson at least once. He is quoted more often than the scriptures. Super cringy and cultish.

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

CuriousThinker wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:50 am
Can you share the link?
Yes, the link is in the first post of this thread; viewtopic.php?t=67493

Not sure how to directly link to the link. Let me know if this didn't guide you to the paper.

silverado
captain of 100

Post by silverado »

When did we start regularly calling the president/prophet 'beloved'?

Pazooka
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Pazooka »

randyps wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 3:31 am "..I encourage you to continue striving to qualify to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ..."
The hypocrisy lies in the fact that preachers of righteousness, such as Enoch and Melchizedek, Moses and Peter, James and John, Alma and Nephi son of Helaman actually did return to the presence of God, in the flesh, and desired their people to taste of that same fruit also... and here is President Eyring, encouraging others to do what he has not.
This is why Adam blessed his posterity; he wanted to bring them into the presence of God. They looked for a city, etc., ‘whose builder and maker is God.’ (Hebrews 11:10.) Moses sought to bring the children of Israel into the presence of God, through the power of the Priesthood, but he could not. In the first ages of the world they tried to establish the same thing; and there were Eliases raised up who tried to restore these very glories, but did not obtain them; but they prophesied of a day when this glory would be revealed. ~ TPJS pg 159
Hypocrites, taking the Lord’s name upon their foreheads in vain, for they are not His High Priests to represent Him to His people if they do not and have never entered His presence. What an absurdity.