Wear a cross?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Niyr
captain of 100

Re: Wear a cross?

Post by Niyr »

blitzinstripes wrote: October 4th, 2022, 5:37 pm
Niyr wrote: October 4th, 2022, 12:15 pm
blitzinstripes wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 6:03 pm I love the sacred and beautiful symbolism of the cross which reminds me daily of my Lord's atonement. I've never understood the animosity displayed by the LDS church toward that symbol.

In truth and deed I consider myself first and foremost a CHRISTIAN. I am far less concerned with any form of religious identity beyond that. Christ is coming back for his people. Some of them will be LDS, many of them will not be.
The Atonement didn't happen on the cross.
Part of it certainly did. Jesus had to become a literal blood sacrifice and die. That happened on the cross. The atonement was not completed in Gethsemane. It was begun there. Christ himself declared it complete only after he had also hung and suffered the physical anguish of the cross and was ready to offer up his Spirit at that time. It's frustrating to always hear the LDS church downplaying the crucifixion. It shows an utter lack of understanding of the law of sacrifice. Torture, anguish, and prolonged suffering were not the hallmarks of blood sacrifice from Adam to Moses and up until Christ. But the actual slaying of the sacrificial animal WAS.
You're right. I was hasty in my comment and didn't fully specify, and don't need to now since it would have just been a little snarky and unnecessary.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Re: Wear a cross?

Post by TheChristian »

Gethsemane was were our Lord prepared for that bitterest of cups which was Calvary, the agony experienced in the garden was knowing that He would be beaten, flogged, stripped naked and then nailed to a Cross, but He also knew that would only be the beginning of His sufferings for whilst hanging apon that cross He knew He would be the sacrifical lamb and that apon Him would be placed all the sins of creation, causing even He the Great God and king of Heaven and earth to suffer such pain, anguish and sorrow as He endured sins tremendous load within Himself.
And only when He knew that He had taken on all of creations sins and that He had fullfilled all the requirements could He let Himself die.
The penalty of sin is death, the proof of that death is the blood, in Gethsemane Christ our Lord did not die, so no Atonement took place there, it was apon the Cross were Christ died, and the proof of that death was the blood shed there.
This is why the Apostle Paul a devout Jew, well versed in Atonements according to the law of Moses stated that our Lord made peace, reconciliation thru the blood of His Cross and the Apostles in general make Calvary the Atonement and the greatest victory heaven and earth has ever seen.......
The Apostles all preached the Cross as the most important message of salvation...

All one has to do is read the Bible to understand this greatest of Salvation truths for we cannot rob the Cross of its power ..........