Am I the only one that misses the old tabernacle for General Conferences?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Pnwlivesmatter
captain of 50

Am I the only one that misses the old tabernacle for General Conferences?

Post by Pnwlivesmatter »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-k7_LhaMVc

I loved it. More intimate. Historic building. Just a simple black background for speakers (no flowers or anything). The organ was grand.

Conference Center feels sort of mega churchy. Like something an evangelical church in Texas would use (Joel Osteen and the like). Tabernacle was a work of art and felt historic.
Last edited by Pnwlivesmatter on October 2nd, 2022, 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Re: Am the only one that misses the old tabernacle for General Conferences?

Post by Sunain »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:04 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-k7_LhaMVc

I loved it. More intimate. Historic building. Just a simple black background for speakers (no flowers or anything). The organ was a grand.

Conference Center feels sort of mega churchy. Like something an evangelical church in Texas would use (Joel Osteen and the like). Tabernacle was a work of art and felt historic.
The seats are horribly uncomfortable. 2 hours and all you can think about is the back pain.

Pnwlivesmatter
captain of 50

Post by Pnwlivesmatter »

Sunain wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:05 pm
Pnwlivesmatter wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:04 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-k7_LhaMVc

I loved it. More intimate. Historic building. Just a simple black background for speakers (no flowers or anything). The organ was a grand.

The seats are horribly uncomfortable. 2 hours and all you can think about is the back pain.
that was part of the charm!

dreamtheater76
captain of 100

Post by dreamtheater76 »

Pnwlivesmatter wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:09 pm
Sunain wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:05 pm

that was part of the charm!
Those benches are like a Medieval torture device when you struggle with sciatica. But yes the old tabernacle had that nostalgic feel I have never forgotten. You feel like being in a pioneer building.

Of course I enjoyed watching the Utah Jazz more back in the Salt Palace era with the jazz brass band and Frank Ladens hilarious comments.

Maybe we are just old farts now starving for the good old days.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Re: Am I the only one that misses the old tabernacle for General Conferences?

Post by NowWhat »

I miss the Tabernacle. I miss everything that they have changed. Everything. This is not my church anymore. It's like it has been taken over by aliens or something. And no one notices. "Tithing Declaration? Sure." "Ministering brothers and sisters? No problem." We adapt and adapt.

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

Maybe I'm young, but I just miss the pre-Nelson church, IE the church prior to President Nelson's presidency.

I guess it could just be more of an age-related thing than anything else, but I feel like most of the problematic changes we've had in the church were brought to us exclusively under Nelson's leadership.

The church of 2022 feels like all of its identifying cultural and historical significance has been whitewashed away, and has been replaced with a milquetoasty feel-good theology of just going along with the ways of the world.

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

J2 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 pm Maybe I'm young, but I just miss the pre-Nelson church, IE the church prior to President Nelson's presidency.

I guess it could just be more of an age-related thing than anything else, but I feel like most of the problematic changes we've had in the church were brought to us exclusively under Nelson's leadership.

The church of 2022 feels like all of its identifying cultural and historical significance has been whitewashed away, and has been replaced with a milquetoasty feel-good theology of just going along with the ways of the world.
I've said this elsewhere. I've found myself nostalgic for Pres. Monson despite all the faults. We had an identity back then.

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Nieman, yes! We had an identity. That's what the new Conservative Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said: They want to steal my identity, as an Italian, as a woman, as a mother, and make us into Parent 1, Parent 2, etc. We have lost our identity: I miss "I'm a Mormon." I miss it all. Since our Church identity disappeared, since Nelson, I may have to reach back into my Methodist identity and buy a cross!
Last edited by NowWhat on October 4th, 2022, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I am definitely a fan of old historic buildings.

But I recognize that they are far less efficient than many a new one.

Yes, I think the Conference Center does reek of Mega Church and all that.

But it is a fantastic building.
dc

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

NowWhat wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:46 pm Nieman, yes! We had an identity. That's what the new Conservative Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said: They want to steal my identity, as an Italian, as a woman, as a mother, and make us into Parent 1, Parent 2, etc. We have lost our identity: I miss "I'm a Mormon." I miss it all. Since our Church identity disappeared, since Nelson, I may have to reach back into my Methodist identity and buy a cross!
Meloni is not what she seems.
She's now claiming that Italy needs to have tens od thousands of African migrants each year.
Italy needs migration, Giorgia Meloni said as she sought to win support from African nations on a plan to curb human trafficking into Europe.
"Critics on the Right have accused Ms Meloni, the leader of the ruling Brothers of Italy party, of abandoning her principles after taking power. The Italian prime minister told the conference that Western arrogance had hampered finding a solution to migrant flows, which have surged this year. More than 83,000 migrants have landed in Italy this year, compared with about 34,000 in the same period in 2022."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... -rhetoric/

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Niemand wrote: July 24th, 2023, 3:26 am
NowWhat wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:46 pm Nieman, yes! We had an identity. That's what the new Conservative Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said: They want to steal my identity, as an Italian, as a woman, as a mother, and make us into Parent 1, Parent 2, etc. We have lost our identity: I miss "I'm a Mormon." I miss it all. Since our Church identity disappeared, since Nelson, I may have to reach back into my Methodist identity and buy a cross!
Meloni is not what she seems.
She's now claiming that Italy needs to have tens od thousands of African migrants each year.
Italy needs migration, Giorgia Meloni said as she sought to win support from African nations on a plan to curb human trafficking into Europe.
"Critics on the Right have accused Ms Meloni, the leader of the ruling Brothers of Italy party, of abandoning her principles after taking power. The Italian prime minister told the conference that Western arrogance had hampered finding a solution to migrant flows, which have surged this year. More than 83,000 migrants have landed in Italy this year, compared with about 34,000 in the same period in 2022."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... -rhetoric/

just another well placed operative whom drops back one gear, and the "conservatives" cheer the continued downward spiral

Niemand
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Niemand »

1775peasant wrote: July 24th, 2023, 5:32 am just another well placed operative whom drops back one gear, and the "conservatives" cheer the continued downward spiral
I was aware of some of Georgia Meloni's previous affiliations around the time she was elected. She has been cast in the role of quasi-Fascist (actually her platform wasn't very near Fascism at all, but more Conservative)... and now she's doing her job.

In many European countries, we have "POC" (a phrase I hate) pushing anti-immigration rhetoric which I think is a bit of an in joke. Meloni isn't but she's won on one platform and supported another. Boris Johnson is/was the same. Claimed to support Brexit (despite having supported EU membership for Turkey in the past), made dodgy international deals after it. He also claimed to oppose mass migration from France but did little to stop it.

Another one like this is Sebastian Kurz of Austria. He got into his role very young, posed as anti-immigration and right wing, but in reality he's just another Weffer.

1775peasant
captain of 100

Post by 1775peasant »

Niemand wrote: July 24th, 2023, 5:42 am
1775peasant wrote: July 24th, 2023, 5:32 am just another well placed operative whom drops back one gear, and the "conservatives" cheer the continued downward spiral
I was aware of some of Georgia Meloni's previous affiliations around the time she was elected. She has been cast in the role of quasi-Fascist (actually her platform wasn't very near Fascism at all, but more Conservative)... and now she's doing her job.

In many European countries, we have "POC" (a phrase I hate) pushing anti-immigration rhetoric which I think is a bit of an in joke. Meloni isn't but she's won on one platform and supported another. Boris Johnson is/was the same. Claimed to support Brexit (despite having supported EU membership for Turkey in the past), made dodgy international deals after it. He also claimed to oppose mass migration from France but did little to stop it.

Another one like this is Sebastian Kurz of Austria. He got into his role very young, posed as anti-immigration and right wing, but in reality he's just another Weffer.

as many on here in the States realize, it's not even a joke here, anymore......it's just flat out brainwashing/mind control tactics......supposedly there is all this damning evidence, laptops, hard drives, whistleblowers left & right, photos, emails, texts, phone calls, videos, camera footage of polling attendees dumping ballots, sworn affidavits everywhere........???.....and the only one's being "locked up", are the poor suckers Trump summoned to the Capital a year & a half ago still....
it's been going on for years, but since 2014 & that Maidan Color Revolution coordinated by Victoria Nuland......there's just little to NO attempt at holding those responsible to account by the GOP when they have the opportunity? Trump's first 2 years, the GOP controlled all 3 branches, and NOTHING was done to stifle the Bolshevik's!

BuriedTartaria
Captain of Tartary

Post by BuriedTartaria »

You're not. I miss old things generally. Especially old buildings. I think they hold great secrets. I miss the world I was a kid in.

Clearly the Times of The Gentiles are reaching their end.