This church is super lame

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
762X545
captain of 100

This church is super lame

Post by 762X545 »

Been a member my whole life. Crossed all the "Ts" and dotted all of the "I's." I have been on the fence for some time now and while watching conference today I have finally come to the conclusion that this church, the LDS church, is really, really lame. The leaders cant even keep the narrative straight enough to make the thing even barely palatable anymore. Doctrinally, this thing has nothing to offer me anymore. In a nutshell, I have been on this forum since nearly the beginning. There are some great people here but I have to pull the eject lever on the whole thing. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for the journey.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: This church is super lame

Post by iWriteStuff »

762X545 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:00 pm Been a member my whole life. Crossed all the "Ts" and dotted all of the "I's." I have been on the fence for some time now and while watching conference today I have finally come to the conclusion that this church, the LDS church, is really, really lame. The leaders cant even keep the narrative straight enough to make the thing even barely palatable anymore. Doctrinally, this thing has nothing to offer me anymore. In a nutshell, I have been on this forum since nearly the beginning. There are some great people here but I have to pull the eject lever on the whole thing. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for the journey.
No offense, but isn't this the second time you've pulled the eject lever on the forum?

Chip
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Chip »

There's usually a bungee cord attached to the ejection seat.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

762X545 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:00 pm Been a member my whole life. Crossed all the "Ts" and dotted all of the "I's." I have been on the fence for some time now and while watching conference today I have finally come to the conclusion that this church, the LDS church, is really, really lame. The leaders cant even keep the narrative straight enough to make the thing even barely palatable anymore. Doctrinally, this thing has nothing to offer me anymore. In a nutshell, I have been on this forum since nearly the beginning. There are some great people here but I have to pull the eject lever on the whole thing. Best of luck to all of you and thanks for the journey.
Hi. I feel your pain. Isn’t it great that though the church is off the rails, God never is?
I wish you the best and may God be with you on your journey.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

I left because of a bully who frankly scared me and was allowed to clean up and cover her tracks. So I cleaned up mine personal info to my protect myself until I was stopped.

I came back because I had specific info that was asked for.

Also the bully I left behind rarely posts anymore.

But it is also hard to leave when it is difficult to find like minded people in real life.

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Good luck on your search.

TheChristian
captain of 100

Post by TheChristian »

What ever you do my friend, never let go of Jesus of Nazerath, call apon Him daily. As you know without Him we can do nothing, cannot overcome in this life..........
Cast all your cares apon Him and treasure always His sacrifice apon the cross for you.............
For you are His personal concern.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I like to read books with good stories, much more than watching movies. The pace of a book is slower allowing the author to create deeper characters and storylines. The slower pace engages the reader's mind, and I often find myself plotting out what I think the characters should do or what direction the storyline should take. Often my predictions don't match what the author ends up doing. Sometimes that is really frustrating.

One frustrating example was with Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites, Gadiations, and the Silver Sword, we listened to it with my kids, and the ending was so frustrating to me. I never would have written it that way, a better ending was right there for the author, why did he choose another way? There are several possible reasons, but ultimately it didn't matter because it was his story to tell.

If you grew up in the church in the 60-90's you heard a hundred different scenarios about how the last days might shake out. I did too.

I grabbed onto some storylines that I liked and created a storyline of how I thought things would be or ought to be in the last days. But there was no way all those stories were going to come to pass as they were talked about back then.

Most importantly it is not my store to tell. It is His story.

And if my commitment to my version of the story is stronger than my commitment to the Author, then I will surely be disappointed.

We are nearing the end, the Author will finish this up the way He wants.

So if you don't like how the story is going, and are unwilling to let go of your own version, at least keep the book in case you change your mind someday.
Last edited by tribrac on October 2nd, 2022, 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

I think your perspective is valuable here. It is not too much different than mine. I am coming to the conclusion the LDS Church no longer has a message beyond “stay in the boat.” I hear the same message in Catholic circles. The boat may help some people grow closer to God, but it may also become an idol. I’ve come to believe God is not bound by our boats. We on the other hand are bound to follow the precepts the Spirit He sends to us clearly teaches in the scriptures He has inspired. Those precepts rest on their own authority. We have a tendency to look for ways to soften or rationalize them away.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

You must be the change you wish to see.

The Red Pill
captain of 1,000

Post by The Red Pill »

I understand how you feel.

My wake up call came with the "urging" of the deadly-jab...while simultaneously pushing the "follow the prophet, he won't lead you astray" narrative.

This lead to boatloads of further research.

For what it's worth. The BOM is true, Joseph did restore the truth, Brigham screwed it up. Don't trust the precepts of men (middleman) go straight to the source CHRIST and GOD. Pulpit narrative verses the scripture narrative...take the scripture narrative 7 days a week.

Good luck and safe journeys.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I’m on the fence too - seems it may lead to the narrow way - as long as it’s more about cherry picking and less about being lukewarm.

Do what you need to do, but please know that many of us here are not buying the load of stuff conference is falsely advertising. I think this conference was the 1st I didn’t listen to a word - & am less bothered than in the past when I watched it.

It’s not all-or-nothing - nor is it extremes of “either” complete 100% good “or” complete 100% bad. Life is a messy mix, often challenging us to sift through and discern good from evil… maybe because we need practice for when more is on the line.

Christianlee
captain of 1,000

Post by Christianlee »

The reality is the Mark of the Beast is coming. It will be interesting to see how the various Christian denominations react to it. I think Pope Francis is all in. Will the leaders of the LDS Church follow his lead? The sifting is at hand.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

I haven't been to church for several years and I'm one of those who might be considered critical of the LDS church but I'm very grateful for my membership in the church. I've had many opportunities to serve and I've met some great people who share similar beliefs. It took quite a few years but I've finally responded to the commandment in the Book of Mormon to study Isaiah and it has changed my life. I still keep in touch with some of the guys at church and try to plant seeds. Several of my closest friends have walked away from the church and lament about all the money they spent in tithing... I don't regret any of my past experiences and all of the time and money I have donated; all of this was done in good faith. If not for the missionary efforts of the church I would probably never have heard of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon.

Having said that, I did have a way to irritate much of the leadership when pointing out inconsistencies in doctrine and behaviour.

As for the church being "super lame", duuuude, go to Isaiah. Seriously, ignore the leadership of the church and don't waste any more time there. Start here: https://www.isaiahexplained.com

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Keep a sharp eye out for the narrow path. It's there. Look at it closely and you'll see Christ's footprints.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Christianlee wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:36 pm The reality is the Mark of the Beast is coming. It will be interesting to see how the various Christian denominations react to it. I think Pope Francis is all in. Will the leaders of the LDS Church follow his lead? The sifting is at hand.
We've already had a trial run, with all the apologists telling us that even though it sucks, it'll be the only way to keep the church going. What else is there to know?

As much as we want the devil to show up with a tail and pitchfork so he's obvious, that's not how it's going to look. He'll look like a crusader saving the world, followed by an army of cowards either too afraid, too lazy, or too selfish, to speak up. And he'll be opposed by a small gaggle of freaks and malcontents that nobody wants to listen to.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

h_p wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 7:45 pm
Christianlee wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:36 pm The reality is the Mark of the Beast is coming. It will be interesting to see how the various Christian denominations react to it. I think Pope Francis is all in. Will the leaders of the LDS Church follow his lead? The sifting is at hand.
We've already had a trial run, with all the apologists telling us that even though it sucks, it'll be the only way to keep the church going. What else is there to know?

As much as we want the devil to show up with a tail and pitchfork so he's obvious, that's not how it's going to look. He'll look like a crusader saving the world, followed by an army of cowards either too afraid, too lazy, or too selfish, to speak up. And he'll be opposed by a small gaggle of freaks and malcontents that nobody wants to listen to.
or he'll show up as a magnificent leader denouncing the radical left, standing up for solid family structure, representing the virtues of morality, denouncing the greed that has destroyed the country, etc.

perhaps, he will reorganize everything under a rule of law that is just and fair and rewards hard work and ingenuity. He will appear to be a righteous savior in every regard.

this happening after a period of starvation and anarchy and people shooting each other in the streets of every city. The aftermath of a real plague as well.

then he drops the other shoe. "Guns have killed millions of people!". Bring in your guns and get food. We all need PEACE!

This plague has killed over a billion people! Get your inoculations so we can all be protected! To be in public places, you must have proof of your inoculation, it makes sense! No admittance to any store. No admittance into a bank. No walking down the sidewalk. Here's your universal income! Here's your electronic ID!. Oh yah, and you can't pay your utility bills or your property tax without signing up! Neato.

it will all sound so good! Just do the right thing and you'll have safety and food security. It's about the children! Don't you love your children?

it won't be easy.

Valheim
captain of 50

Post by Valheim »

People have to recognize that they have to give up their ego for the church to grow and prosper. Religion goes before politics, not the other way around. Some policies matter, but far from all politics do.

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Valheim wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 4:01 am People have to recognize that they have to give up their ego for the church to grow and prosper. Religion goes before politics, not the other way around. Some policies matter, but far from all politics do.
"You want someone to preach to you? You want religion do you? There will be many willing to preach to you the philosophies of men. . . mingled with scripture."

I don't want religion. Too much like politics.

I want truth from God. Unpolluted or diluted, Living Water from the source.

InfoWarrior82
Level 34 Illuminated
Location: "There are 15 on the earth today, you can trust them completely." -President Nelson (Jan 2022)

Post by InfoWarrior82 »

Chip wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:51 pm There's usually a bungee cord attached to the ejection seat.
Can confirm.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

You'll be back. You can never leave this forum.

thaabit
captain of 100

Post by thaabit »

Luke wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 11:36 am You'll be back. You can never leave this forum.
So it's a vacusuck, like Utah?

NowWhat
captain of 100

Post by NowWhat »

Have you heard the speech of the new Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni? She speaks with blood-stirring passion. Between Sacrament meeting and General Conference, I had forgotten what it is like to watch a passionate person expressing her beliefs. Who spoke with passion this past weekend? Someone, please, be the one who is so intent on your message that no one can doze off during your talk!

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Here is what I found exceptionally lame...

"Season 4" of the Book of Mormon videos. When did we start labeling them with Seasons like they are some TV show. And what happened to seasons 1-3?

Seems like a lame attempt to hide the fact that the church actually stopped this project on their own because of their ridiculous COVID response. Haven't you all been super excited for "Season 4?" The end of season 3 was such a cliff hanger!

JuneBug12000
captain of 1,000

Post by JuneBug12000 »

Serragon wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:54 pm Here is what I found exceptionally lame...

"Season 4" of the Book of Mormon videos. When did we start labeling them with Seasons like they are some TV show. And what happened to seasons 1-3?

Seems like a lame attempt to hide the fact that the church actually stopped this project on their own because of their ridiculous COVID response. Haven't you all been super excited for "Season 4?" The end of season 3 was such a cliff hanger!
My kids were so excited they ran to the living room to see the except.

They were so disappointed to realize it wasn't The Chosen and all wandered off. 😂