General Conference October 2022 - Sunday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Chris
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Sunday Live Thread and Recap

Post by Chris »

Great talk President Nelson!!, If yall only knew what was coming....

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Sunday morning was one of the best sessions in a long time. I loved every minute.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Saturday Live Thread and Recap

Post by Lizzy60 »

Mamabear wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:45 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:38 am
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:32 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:24 am Choosing to be chosen?

These guys crack me up!

Words have meaning, folks…

“I identify as chosen, so you have to let me in” isn’t going to fly.
He didn’t say we can simply declare it, as Michael Scott did with bankruptcy.
David A Bednar wrote: You and I ultimately can choose to be chosen through the righteous exercise of our moral agency.
+1 for the Michael Scott reference.

We CANNOT choose to be chosen. We can qualify ourselves to be chosen, but only One will do the choosing. We can have confidence that we will be chosen because God does not lie, but I for one do not claim to know what standards will be applied and whether I have met that standard. God, and Good alone, will choose whom he chooses, regardless of our opinion.
I’m not sure what was said at conference, but your post reminded me of when Jesus told his disciples He chose them. It seemed like he meant before they even knew Him.
Yes, 100% correct. He knew each of us before we even entered our mother’s womb. He knows His children, as He has been given them by His Father. We are numbered unto Him, and not one will be lost. Those who are His sons and daughters will be revealed by their probation on this Earth, but tares will never be wheat, and sheep will never be goats. We may not look like a sheep at present (Saul/Paul; Alma the Younger) but our paths will be interrupted if need be.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 am
FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:48 am
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:41 am Nelson is just NAILING it right now. 👍
your post motivated me to tune in.

His words right now are certainly spot on. He has a good speech writer…
You’re right. The Holy Ghost is the best speech writer! :D
The true manner of teaching and speaking has been forgotten in a world of fear of saying the wrong thing. Everyone smiles at the perfectly written talks.
There are numerous scriptures that refer to this :

"For at that time the Holy Spirit will teach you what you should say.”

I've watched men that studied a topic before teaching it or giving a discourse. They then take many times to pray for guidance for the moment that they stand up to speak. When they go to speak, the topic is filled with the spirit and the words are from God, NOT A SPEECH WRITER.

It's sad that members of the LDS church are so acclimated to this tradition of reading professionally written speeches that they have no idea what the spirit guided discourse even looks like.

endlessQuestions
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by endlessQuestions »

Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:59 am Great talk President Nelson!!, If yall only knew what was coming....
By all means, enlighten us.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:59 am Great talk President Nelson!!, If yall only knew what was coming....
Do you know?

Jospeh Smith would say blood flowing through the streets is next….

largerthanlife2
captain of 100

Post by largerthanlife2 »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:42 am
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:40 am
Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:37 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am “Apostolic witness”

There’s that mushy terminology again.

Elder Holland, what’s the difference between an apostolic witness, and my witness?
I think you probably have to use a lot more aliteration in your public speaking for your witness to be as apostolic as his. As far as I can tell, that’s the difference.
😂😂.... Oh pazooka, you sure know how to make us chuckle
And you, my friend, get the Pazooka Good Sportsmanship award. You’re awesome that way.

Meanwhile, I think we have a strong contender for the best tie. I had a hunch it might turn out to be him:
I have that exact tie in my closet. Been wearing it for the past 5 years.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:02 pm
Cruiserdude wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:41 am Nelson is just NAILING it right now. 👍

The true manner of teaching and speaking has been forgotten in a world of fear of saying the wrong thing. Everyone smiles at the perfectly written talks.

I've watched men that studied a topic before teaching it or giving a discourse. They then take many times to pray for guidance for the moment that they stand up to speak. When they go to speak, the topic is filled with the spirit and the words are from God, NOT A SPEECH WRITER.

It's sad that members of the LDS church are so acclimated to this tradition of reading professionally written speeches that they have no idea what the spirit guided discourse even looks like.
Is a talk less inspired because it is written?

Down_the_rabbithole
captain of 100

Post by Down_the_rabbithole »

Bronco73idi wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:07 pm
Do you know?

I was going to post a long message... But then realized this sums it up pretty good 😊.
https://youtu.be/-sED4fzIV0k

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm

If it's a talk written by speech writers

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:12 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:09 am
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 am
Reluctant Watchman wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:56 am

I used to like Holland… up until his talk where he made the false claim that since the BoM is true, that it’s ALL true. Oh, and when he was caught lying to the BBC reporter.
I’m sorry you don’t like him anymore. Did you listen to his talk this morning? If not, I think you should find it and watch it or read it.
No, I don’t listen to conference. I’d prefer to read the scriptures and what Christ taught us. These men are imposters, they have the appearance of righteousness. Sure, for the average members these talks are fine, but there is much more to this apostate church.
So you agree with Elder Renlund that you don’t need to pray about another’s truth claims? I guess there’s nothing to pray about if you didn’t listen it or read it. Ignorance is bliss.
My response to your claim could be far more complex and intricate, but I’ll refrain. The simple fact that not a single one of these men has apologized to the saints for the $#!% they’ve promoted the last two years is all I need to know about them. You may hold them in high regard, I do not.

Outcast
captain of 10

Post by Outcast »

endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:43 am
Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:39 am
TheDuke wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:28 am
endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:22 am “Apostolic witness”

There’s that mushy terminology again.

Elder Holland, what’s the difference between an apostolic witness, and my witness?
exactly what I exclaimed when he said this? I've heard it before but what is it?
An Apostolic witness is a "Special Witness" Meaning they know him and have been commissioned by him. They have seen him and have received a special sacred witness. President Faust talks about it here, most miss exactly what he is saying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgxandXWbUk
That’s because he doesn’t say what you insinuate he’s saying. Nobody’s missing it, you’re adding it.

President Oaks, on the other hand, explicitly states that as far as he knows, none of the 15 have had the type of witness you blithely claim they have.
Would you be able to share where Elder Oaks says that? I'm not doubting you, I've just never encountered the quote.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

endlessismyname wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:02 pm
He can't, he's only pretending.

He posts hints about his secret insider knowledge whenever he feels threatened, but has ignored every request for specifics.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:25 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm

If it's a talk written by speech writers
I believe Russell M Nelson wrote his own talk.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

i really liked that session. It felt familiar rather than foreign. Probably enjoyed it more than any session in years.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Bronco73idi wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:07 pm
Do you know?

It already is in many places but will only get worse.
And as it gets worse, we will also see the Lord's power made manifest, as President Nelson stated, to a degree not seen before.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:43 am Russel M Nelson currently preaching repentance.
But he really doesn't teach what needs to be repented of.

I thought Pres. Nelson's talk was excellent, and I wholeheartedly agree with almost all of it. But once again, it is a talk that can mean all things to all people because it is completely void of any specifics. We are told to listen to the Spirit to tell us what needs to be changed in our lives. But we have not been taught or trained by our church to understand the difference between the Spirit and our own feelings and desires. In fact, the church actively confuses the Spirit and our own feelings in their broadcasts and constant emotional appeals. The result is that this "Spirit" will end up simply being a ratifier of everyones biases instead of something that actually gets people to change.

While the president of the church is speaking about giving up our favorite sins and overcoming our natural man, the church itself is increasingly accepting of homosexuality and trans-generism. They are increasingly silent on abortion. They are feminizing our temple ceremonies. They are advocating for complete obedience to worldly authorities, even when that means violating your natural rights or where it interferes with your rights to exercise your religion.

So people like me will hear him and will think he is finally taking some sort of a stand against the worldly progressive ideologies and practices entering our church. But those progressives will hear that their ideology is the real interpretation and implementation of Christianity and will carry on.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky. I really liked this talk. But I find and increasingly glaring incongruence between the words and deeds of this church, and an increasing division inside the church because of our reluctance to call out certain ideologies and behaviors as sin.

Reluctant Watchman
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Reluctant Watchman »

Serragon wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:43 am Russel M Nelson currently preaching repentance.

I thought Pres. Nelson's talk was excellent, and I wholeheartedly agree with almost all of it. But once again, it is a talk that can mean all things to all people because it is completely void of any specifics. We are told to listen to the Spirit to tell us what needs to be changed in our lives. But we have not been taught or trained by our church to understand the difference between the Spirit and our own feelings and desires. In fact, the church actively confuses the Spirit and our own feelings in their broadcasts and constant emotional appeals. The result is that this "Spirit" will end up simply being a ratifier of everyones biases instead of something that actually gets people to change.

While the president of the church is speaking about giving up our favorite sins and overcoming our natural man, the church itself is increasingly accepting of homosexuality and trans-generism. They are increasingly silent on abortion. They are feminizing our temple ceremonies. They are advocating for complete obedience to worldly authorities, even when that means violating your natural rights or where it interferes with your rights to exercise your religion.

So people like me will hear him and will think he is finally taking some sort of a stand against the worldly progressive ideologies and practices entering our church. But those progressives will hear that their ideology is the real interpretation and implementation of Christianity and will carry on.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky. I really liked this talk. But I find and increasingly glaring incongruence between the words and deeds of this church, and an increasing division inside the church because of our reluctance to call out certain ideologies and behaviors as sin.
For some of us, we must repent of having listened to them. :)

francisco.colaco
captain of 100

Post by francisco.colaco »

Serragon wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm I'm not trying to be nit-picky. I really liked this talk. But I find and increasingly glaring incongruence between the words and deeds of this church, and an increasing division inside the church because of our reluctance to call out certain ideologies and behaviors as sin.
Fear the time when revelation will be used to straighten back the Church.

Remember D&C 1:24--31. That should be enough to tell you the Lord reigns. The sieve is being set up as we speak. Soon enough the Lord will speak. Fear that day, One thing is for sure: only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the priesthood of God. In spite of having such pitiful elders and priests. Anyone who puts this in doubt will end up knowing it is true, even if too late.

Mamabear
captain of 1,000

Post by Mamabear »

Serragon wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm

You described exactly what I was feeling over the last few years.
They doublespeak all the time very much like politicians do, so that each side is fooled into thinking they are on their side. They designed it this way because they know if they choose a side, they will lose members either way. They choose to remain neutral/lukewarm and we know from scripture what happens in that scenario.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

francisco.colaco wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:34 pm
Serragon wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:16 pm I'm not trying to be nit-picky. I really liked this talk. But I find and increasingly glaring incongruence between the words and deeds of this church, and an increasing division inside the church because of our reluctance to call out certain ideologies and behaviors as sin.
Fear the time when revelation will be used to straighten back the Church.

Remember D&C 1:24--31. That should be enough to tell you the Lord reigns. The sieve is being set up as we speak. Soon enough the Lord will speak. Fear that day, One thing is for sure: only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the priesthood of God. In spite of having such pitiful elders and priests. Anyone who puts this in doubt will end up knowing it is true, even if too late.
I'm not asking for new revelation to be used to straighten out the church.

I'm simply asking our Church leaders to stand for what has already been revealed in a clear and authoritative way.

Chris
captain of 100

Post by Chris »

tribrac wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:35 pm

He posts hints about his secret insider knowledge whenever he feels threatened, but has ignored every request for specifics.
I do know because i have seen for my self as well as i do know some people who have also seen. I will say this. Spencer in Visions of glory has talked about much of it, i highly recommend his book, but he also leaves a lot out. Joseph as well as well as many of the early apostles.

Ill give one clue on one thing. King Hezikiah

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Sunday afternoon session is starting now.

guardian
captain of 10

Post by guardian »

President Nelson's talk was pretty much a summary of all of the major points he's made in previous Conference talks since he became the President. I think President Nelson feels like this will be his last Conference.

HVDC
captain of 1,000

Post by HVDC »

Chris wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 1:52 pm
tribrac wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:35 pm

I do know because i have seen for my self as well as i do know some people who have also seen. I will say this. Spencer in Visions of glory has talked about much of it, i highly recommend his book, but he also leaves a lot out. Joseph as well as well as many of the early apostles.

Ill give one clue on one thing. King Hezikiah
Oooooh.

Little hints.

Big thing looming.

So scary.

So mysterious.

I like it.

Keeps the tension going.

Carry on.

Sir H