General Conference October 2022 - Sunday Live Thread and Recap

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
logonbump
captain of 100

Re: General Conference October 2022 - Sunday Live Thread and Recap

Post by logonbump »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:10 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:07 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:50 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:40 pm

They preach not to bridle homosexual passions?
No!

Geez . . .listen to what they are saying. There is absolutely no message that same-sex sexual desires are wrong.
They teach to bridle those passions and not act on them.
So is it appropriate for me to tell everyone that I sexually desire the Sister in the front row in Church? Yes or no.
I actually asked something just like this in Sunday school. I said that perhaps, since the queer crowd were requesting their own Come Follow Me accommodations, maybe those of us not attracted to our spouses, but rather attracted to whom they're not authorized to sleep with, should get invited because they could certainly empathize. Or should they get their own SS Lesson? My stake President was sitting behind me and told me he appreciated my comments. (Later, puzzled, I wondered if he got my facetious irony or if I played him)

madvin
captain of 1,000

Post by madvin »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:48 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:22 pm
Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:02 pm What on earth did we just see? Floating head. Best photobomb of conference.
I'm slow.

What's a photo bomb and what is a floating head? LOL
You don’t see that huge noggin just left of the conductor’s leg, in front of the stand that looks like it’s been CGI’d in? It was weird
Does anyone recognize who the floating head might be? Definitely not the organist.

FrankOne
captain of 1,000

Post by FrankOne »

Pazooka wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:02 pm What on earth did we just see? Floating head. Best photobomb of conference.
I'm slow.

You don’t see that huge noggin just left of the conductor’s leg, in front of the stand that looks like it’s been CGI’d in? It was weird
I thought the green arrow? was meaning that someone above had been transposed to a lower location. I imagine that you're talking about the odd dude to the left of his leg. It's the ghost of Church past or it's one of Biden's doubles.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Did anyone get the impression during the closing remarks that President Nelson declared the end of the 30 minutes of silence from heaven? I'm not even saying he did it intentionally, and I am not asserting even that it was prophecy fulfilled, but that was my immediate reaction when he stated that "the heavens are opened". Especially considering how much better this conference has been than any I can think of in recent history, it feels like a possibility to me.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

Original_Intent wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 6:19 pm Did anyone get the impression during the closing remarks that President Nelson declared the end of the 30 minutes of silence from heaven? I'm not even saying he did it intentionally, and I am not asserting even that it was prophecy fulfilled, but that was my immediate reaction when he stated that "the heavens are opened". Especially considering how much better this conference has been than any I can think of in recent history, it feels like a possibility to me.
Now there's a thought... 🤔👍

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Original_Intent wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 6:19 pm Did anyone get the impression during the closing remarks that President Nelson declared the end of the 30 minutes of silence from heaven? I'm not even saying he did it intentionally, and I am not asserting even that it was prophecy fulfilled, but that was my immediate reaction when he stated that "the heavens are opened". Especially considering how much better this conference has been than any I can think of in recent history, it feels like a possibility to me.
Every conference is the best one ever.

And that's fine, it's just that Mormons always have their heads in the clouds.

Everything is the best ever. The membership is so pollyanna.
Before every change. The Church is awesome! Everything is great!

After every change. The Church is awesome! Everything is great! Aren't we so glad we have a living prophet to make these needed changes that 2 seconds ago everyone was saying that nothing needed to be done.

Before the change a member says. There is a problem here.
Response is. You apostate how dare you question, we have a living prophet.

After a change a member states. I'm not sure about this.
Response is. You apostate how dare you question we have a living prophet.

There is absolutely no recognition of any problems or issues, it's all swept under the rug.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:07 pm
"bridling other passions"

Unless of course one is part of the rainbow. Then it doesn't matter!

Openly homosexual missionaries!
Gay is good
Gay is good
Gay is good
Gay is good

These guys are huge hypocrites.
No!

Geez . . .listen to what they are saying. There is absolutely no message that same-sex sexual desires are wrong.
I HIGHLY encourage you to listen to the podcast of the openly queer missionary.

I feel very sorry for the kid as he has no clue.

I'm 41 min. into the podcast. No once in the entire time so far has the word repentance been mentioned, change of heart (or anything like that). It is all about love, acceptance, me, me, me. Safe space.

He speaks about an experience where a woman who is openly lesbian is worried about what might happen if she gets baptized and then makes choices that the members don't agree with . . .in other words. If I get baptized and then I choose to have a girlfriend or get married what then.

The response: Don't worry about it-it will all work out . . .just get baptized and that baptism and going to the Temple will get your into the Celestial Kingdom.

They are literally telling other potential missionaries who might have same-sex issues or challenges.... that well you may want to serve closeted but this missionary made the decision to be open and HONEST, and AUTHENTIC about who he is. In other words, if you do not tell others you are open you are a liar, not being honest and inauthentic.

It is all about "come unto Jesus" . . .but you know there is absolutely 0 mention about what that means. It's just a set of three magical words. If I say "Come Unto Jesus" and just keep telling you, you need to CUJ, you will be saved in the CK. Literally man, there is 0 mention of change of heart.

It's all heartsell, just a bunch of platitudes and then telling people who deeply desire to have sexual/romantic relationships with the same-sex to go ahead and get baptized, if you have a sexual/romantic relationship with someone of the same-sex in the future. Don't worry about it, at least not right now.

Seriously man, this religion is totally unrecognizable.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:07 pm
"bridling other passions"

Unless of course one is part of the rainbow. Then it doesn't matter!

Openly homosexual missionaries!
Gay is good
Gay is good
Gay is good
Gay is good

These guys are huge hypocrites.
No!

https://soundcloud.com/user-818501778/e ... -of-christ

Minute 22 to minute 25.

He directly states that his MP told him directly that if he had ANY negative experience with ANY companion, member, etc. That if ANY comment, negatively was said to him or if ANY one had a problem with serving with him. He was under orders for him to directly call the MP and they would take care of the problem. The MP would ensure that the member, the missionary, etc. who has a problem like you have . . . no, no THEY are the bad one . . .THEY are the one called on the carpet . . .THEY are the one who needs to change, who needs to repent, are unChristian.

This is EXACTLY what I said would happen.

This is not teaching them to bridle their passions.

Queer is good.
Queer is good.
Queer is good.
Queer is good.
Queer is good.

Wake the heck up people. All you TBMs if you ever want to have any symblence of a religion, wake up.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 6:28 pm

After every change. The Church is awesome! Everything is great! Aren't we so glad we have a living prophet to make these needed changes that 2 seconds ago everyone was saying that nothing needed to be done.

There is absolutely no recognition of any problems or issues, it's all swept under the rug.
The more you quote me, the more it is clear to me that you don't know me at all.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

Original_Intent wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 8:08 pm

The more you quote me, the more it is clear to me that you don't know me at all.
I do not know you. You are probably very, very accurate in that.

I do not know if you specifically state after every GC it's the best one ever. I do apologize about that.

I was extrapolating to the fact that, in general in Church it is always the best one ever.

JLHPROF
captain of 1,000

Post by JLHPROF »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:18 pm
JLHPROF wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:15 pm
spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 4:05 pm
Voyager wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 3:55 pm

I doubt that he knows which one will be last, but he definitely recognizes the plain reality that he's 98 and the probability of making it another year (or 6 months) becomes increasingly unlikely each Conference.
At his age, when people want to go, they will go. He is giving up the ghost.
Well that is one of the blessings traditionally given with the higher temple anointing. So he probably has that right to choose.
No that's just called getting old.

I've known plenty of people at that age that when they do not want to live anymore they don't.
The blessing in question includes the right to live longer if desired to complete a work.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 8:20 pm
Original_Intent wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 8:08 pm

I do not know you. You are probably very, very accurate in that.

I do not know if you specifically state after every GC it's the best one ever. I do apologize about that.

I was extrapolating to the fact that, in general in Church it is always the best one ever.
Yeah, in general my statement is because I think most of the last 30 or 40 years of general conference have been fair to poor at best, not even milk unless it is powdered milk that double water was used to reconstitute it...

It wasn't like this was a doctrinal big deal, either, but it felt like something I haven't felt in decades. And I don't think it was a change in me.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:11 pm

No!

No they do not.

Point me to an actual message in the last 5 years that states same-sex sexual thoughts, feelings, desires is ungodly.
That’s not what I said. I think we don’t agree on sexual attraction vs action.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:13 pm

No!

Listen to the podcast.

They proclaim openly that sexually desiring the same-sex is their AUTHENTIC self. It is how they are, nothing is wrong with it.
Listen to what podcast? Maybe I missed it but I don’t see a podcast referenced here.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:32 pm
No!

No they do not.

Point me to an actual message in the last 5 years that states same-sex sexual thoughts, feelings, desires is ungodly.
I'm confused please help me out here.

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

madvin wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:54 pm
I'm slow.

Does anyone recognize who the floating head might be? Definitely not the organist.
OK, I'll bite since people keep bringing this up.

The floating head wasn't CGI. There are generally one or two men who always sit on the rostrum just in front of the choir between the conductor's stand and the front row of choir seats.

I'm not sure what their purpose is - they could be part of the technical crew, or they could be some kind of security force.

This has been a pretty standard practice that I've observed in every General Conference for as long as I can remember (going back to around 2008 or so - I'm not that old).

So yeah, nothing unusual about this at all, although the camera angle DID make it look weird.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:34 pm
No!

Listen to the podcast.

They proclaim openly that sexually desiring the same-sex is their AUTHENTIC self. It is how they are, nothing is wrong with it.
Listen to what podcast? Maybe I missed it but I don’t see a podcast referenced here.
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3 ... christ.mp3

Listen to it. This is where your ideology leads ... Everything I have predicted that would happen.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:42 pm

Listen to the podcast.

Listen to it. This is where your ideology leads ... Everything I have predicted that would happen.
My ideology? Please tell me, what is my ideology?

J2
captain of 100

Post by J2 »

Also, I agree with others who said they feel this Conference was President Nelson's final "mic drop" moment. I got the distinct impression in the closing message that he was giving us some kind of final farewell. He may indeed believe he won't be making it to next April. Time will tell.

I also thought it was interesting that he needed some kind of extra support while he was standing - did anyone else notice the "assistant" who set something up at the pulpit before each of his talks started? This assistant also was following him out at the end of each session. That was done with President Monson too in his final days, although Monson's health issues were much more noticeable.

Also it's interesting that the original plan for this conference (from way back in May - thanks Sub for sharing this leaked info with us) called for him to speak first in the first session (as per usual), but then they changed the order (seemingly at the last minute) to have Oaks go first this time.

Perhaps President Nelson's age is finally catching up with him. The evidence seems to point that direction.

anonymous91
captain of 100

Post by anonymous91 »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:02 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 am
FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:48 am

your post motivated me to tune in.

His words right now are certainly spot on. He has a good speech writer…
You’re right. The Holy Ghost is the best speech writer! :D
The true manner of teaching and speaking has been forgotten in a world of fear of saying the wrong thing. Everyone smiles at the perfectly written talks.
There are numerous scriptures that refer to this :

"For at that time the Holy Spirit will teach you what you should say.”

I've watched men that studied a topic before teaching it or giving a discourse. They then take many times to pray for guidance for the moment that they stand up to speak. When they go to speak, the topic is filled with the spirit and the words are from God, NOT A SPEECH WRITER.

It's sad that members of the LDS church are so acclimated to this tradition of reading professionally written speeches that they have no idea what the spirit guided discourse even looks like.
Is a talk less inspired because it is written?
In my opinion, it is void of the spirit and is dead.

I have extensive experience speaking publicly both professionally and in religious settings.
I would never be able to deliver a pre-written talk that is anywhere near as good as what one can
give when moved upon by the spirit.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Interesting observation. That didn’t stick out to me while watching live. I’ll have to go back and rewatch that part.

spiritMan
captain of 1,000

Post by spiritMan »

cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 pm
Listen to the podcast.

That's is okay for openly homosexual missionaries to serve missions

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:35 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:32 pm

No they do not.

I'm confused please help me out here.
I feel like I may not be articulating myself well enough in writing. It seems we might have a disconnect with terminology we’re each using.

I do not think the church will ever accept acting (physically or mentally) upon homosexual desires as something other than sin. Marriage is between a man and a woman. The law of chastity is to have no sexual relations with anyone who is not your spouse (established above as someone of the opposite sex). I don’t see either of those two things changing in the church.

Having said that I know there are many loud and proud homosexuals who have ulterior motives and who will stop at nothing until we accept them and condone their perversions. God will never condone it.

As far as the terminology goes, here is the way I see and understand things:

1) We all have some basic form of sexual attraction. The main one is heterosexuality, or being attracted to the opposite sex. The other being homosexuality, which I believe exists in some for some reason another because of the fallen state we live in. I don’t think God made them that way. I think some can overcome it, probably in the next life, through the atonement of Jesus Christ. I don’t think homosexuality will exist in the celestial kingdom.

2) Heterosexuals and homosexuals alike can bridle those sexual “passions” by not lusting after others. I don’t think a man automatically lusts after any women just because he is heterosexual. He has to mentally act on his attractions. Same for a homosexual man. Maybe we differ on what passion means in this context. I think unbridled passion would be lust, or more. Just because I am heterosexual doesn’t mean I necessarily lust after one or more women who are not my wife. Just because someone is homosexual doesn’t mean they lust after anyone per se. I believe heterosexual and homosexual lust is a sin and always will be.

3) Physically acting upon homosexual attractions is a sin and always will be. Physically acting upon heterosexual attractions is wrong, if not done within the sanctity of marriage, and always will be.

I don’t pretend to know everything, but that’s how I see things. As far as I can tell, that’s the position of the church as well.

When you posed your question you defined an “openly homosexual” as someone with homosexual attractions who had announced such publicly. Applying my thoughts above, they fall into #1, someone who is not lusting not acting on their attractions. Someone who has bridled their passions.

I wouldn’t want my kid to be companioned with a homosexual missionary. Though one of my companions (15 years ago) was homosexual. At least the rest of us thought so. I never asked him. He never molested, raped, or assaulted me. Did he lust after me? I don’t know.

One thing I do know is that I have many weaknesses, some related to my heterosexuality. I pray for the Lord’s mercy in my life that I may overcome all my weaknesses. I am grateful that he requires us to lift to His standards, not settle for our own. I seek to better love and serve Him, and all of His children.

randyps
captain of 100

Post by randyps »

anonymous91 wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:57 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm
FrankOne wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 12:02 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 11:51 am

You’re right. The Holy Ghost is the best speech writer! :D
The true manner of teaching and speaking has been forgotten in a world of fear of saying the wrong thing. Everyone smiles at the perfectly written talks.
There are numerous scriptures that refer to this :

"For at that time the Holy Spirit will teach you what you should say.”

I've watched men that studied a topic before teaching it or giving a discourse. They then take many times to pray for guidance for the moment that they stand up to speak. When they go to speak, the topic is filled with the spirit and the words are from God, NOT A SPEECH WRITER.

It's sad that members of the LDS church are so acclimated to this tradition of reading professionally written speeches that they have no idea what the spirit guided discourse even looks like.
Is a talk less inspired because it is written?
In my opinion, it is void of the spirit and is dead.

I have extensive experience speaking publicly both professionally and in religious settings.
I would never be able to deliver a pre-written talk that is anywhere near as good as what one can
give when moved upon by the spirit.
I could never get up in public without a pre-written talk. While preparing my prewritten talks the spirit has always moved me and given me the words to write down. Afterwards I always get comments on how good my talks were.

Jashon
captain of 100

Post by Jashon »

spiritMan wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:59 pm
cyclOps wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 10:44 pm

That's is okay for openly homosexual missionaries to serve missions
Yes, this is where the church has led us, (see the relevant gospel topics essay), since high church leaders have decided it's fine to identify as homosexual.

Yet as has been mentioned here before, the church saying that identifying as gay is fine in effect means being gay isn't an in-dwelling sin (Romans 7:17). The viewpoint that identifying as gay is fine has now led MPs to encourage missionaries to be public and vocal about it. And they get praise from the likes of Steve Young as well.

We're one step closer to acceptance of the lifestyle.